shape
carat
color
clarity

Full National Lockdown in the UK. Again.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @kipari said, we have had contact tracing for many months in the UK & Europe.

What will happen after the hard lockdown ends is anybodies guess at the moment, as they haven't come up with an exit plan as such. But Bojo has made it extremely clear the targets & measures are constantly moving & will need to be reacted to. So although vaccinations are well under way & we're all at home currently, despite the scientific advisers optimistically saying the summer months may bring back normal life for the most part, they are saying that next winter there may need some form of restrictions again, until everybody is vaccinated.

Yes ,sad new normal, apparently.

At least the UK seems to be doing better than most regarding the vaccinations. France doing especially abysmally. :wall:
Stay strong, @Alex T !!

Hugs across "la manche"

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend, the manager of the pub that I frequent in town, does not expect the lockdown to be lifted until March 2021 when the current furlough scheme ends.

Stay safe everyone!

DK :(2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @kipari said, we have had contact tracing for many months in the UK & Europe.

What will happen after the hard lockdown ends is anybodies guess at the moment, as they haven't come up with an exit plan as such. But Bojo has made it extremely clear the targets & measures are constantly moving & will need to be reacted to. So although vaccinations are well under way & we're all at home currently, despite the scientific advisers optimistically saying the summer months may bring back normal life for the most part, they are saying that next winter there may need some form of restrictions again, until everybody is vaccinated.

At least they are trying! I actually think that reacting and moving targets is a good thing because you don't know how things will turn out so it's best to be flexible.

What was life like for you guys in summer? Was it fairly normal with schools and shops open? Were masks mandatory (note we did not have mandatory masks until very recently so I'm not criticising you guys at all)?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes ,sad new normal, apparently.

At least the UK seems to be doing better than most regarding the vaccinations. France doing especially abysmally. :wall:
Stay strong, @Alex T !!

Hugs across "la manche"

It's not a new normal that particularly floats my boat :((

But it is what it is and we will crack on as we have been. Hugs back at you, sweetie.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least they are trying! I actually think that reacting and moving targets is a good thing because you don't know how things will turn out so it's best to be flexible.

What was life like for you guys in summer? Was it fairly normal with schools and shops open? Were masks mandatory (note we did not have mandatory masks until very recently so I'm not criticising you guys at all)?

Summer wasn't normal by any stretch of the imagination. We were allowed to meet people from other households, but only outdoors & no more than 6 people at once. So I took my 2 kids over to my brothers, sat in his garden with him & watched mine & his 2 have a water fight in the blazing heat. It was the first & last time they have seen each other to actually play since March, even though they only live 3 villages away. They had an absolute blast, but it was short lived.

We are locked down until after the Feb half term, but Bojo has said it may last until the Easter break.

Masks have been mandatory here in shops since the summer, including in the High Schools since October. It's been a long, hard year......

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Summer wasn't normal by any stretch of the imagination. We were allowed to meet people from other households, but only outdoors & no more than 6 people at once. So I took my 2 kids over to my brothers, sat in his garden with him & watched mine & his 2 have a water fight in the blazing heat. It was the first & last time they have seen each other to actually play since March. They had an absolute blast, but it was short lived.

We are locked down until after the Feb half term, but Bojo has said it may last until the Easter break.

Masks have been mandatory here in shops since the summer, including in the High Schools since October. It's been a long, hard year......

Ooh hun **big hugs**

So it's not like you guys haven't tried. Sounds like your government gave it a try! The rules are a lot stricter than I imagined from the numbers you guys have reported.

I honestly thought everyone was allowed to run around willy nilly.

Bojo seems to be passionate about the vaccines so hopefully that will turn things around for you.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh hun **big hugs**

So it's not like you guys haven't tried. Sounds like your government gave it a try! The rules are a lot stricter than I imagined from the numbers you guys have reported.

Bojo seems to be passionate about the vaccines so hopefully that will turn things around for you.

Yeah, but no. We have had zero true freedom. My mother lives a few miles away & in summer, once the girls & I had been off school for 2 weeks & deemed safe, she came & sat in the garden for a cup of tea. In my area, cases have been consistently high & we have lived under those restrictions for a long time. My MIL visited in August, but had to stay in a hotel as we were not allowed people from outside our homes to come inside. We met in our cars at various beauty spots for socially distanced walks & days out. It's been really, really hard & I have to say, I'm upset we are still not done with it.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry @Alex T

I had no idea how rough it was.

I have to say, I'm not fan of big nights out & I'm not very good at tolerating alcohol. But since I had my freedom taken away from me, I have had these massive cravings to go out on a bar crawl in high heels, get hiddeously drunk & then thrown out of somewhere for dancing on the tables. May even vomit for good measure. That should give you a small glimpse into the last year of my life & my mental state :lol:

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say, I'm not fan of big nights out & I'm not very good at tolerating alcohol. But since I had my freedom taken away from me, I have had these massive cravings to go out on a bar crawl in high heels, get hiddeously drunk & then thrown out of somewhere for dancing on the tables. May even vomit for good measure. That should give you a small glimpse into the last year of my life & my mental state :lol:

@Alex T , when this cr*p is over, hop on the Eurostar and I promise, no decent french place will throw you out for dancing on the tables!!!!

Paris is a great place for a night out! (Well has been and WILL be)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T , when this cr*p is over, hop on the Eurostar and I promise, no decent french place will throw you out for dancing on the tables!!!!

Paris is a great place for a night out! (Well has been and WILL be)

Only if you promise to come with me! I haven't been to Paris for about 15 years, so you're on!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only if you promise to come with me! I haven't been to Paris for about 15 years, so you're on!

Absolutely!

I'd love to show you around!!!!

You can take me up on that offer ANYTIME for a weekend. Fingers crossed I have a new Au pair by then, so you can bring the girls, too .
It's called cultural exchange. Moms go to place Vendôme, kids eat ice cream and work on their English / resp. French skills!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely!

I'd love to show you around!!!!

You can take me up on that offer ANYTIME for a weekend. Fingers crossed I have a new Au pair by then, so you can bring the girls, too .
It's called cultural exchange. Moms go to place Vendôme, kids eat ice cream and work on their English / resp. French skills!!

Absolutely love! My girls both learn French at school & by the time we can actually pull this off, should know quite a bit more!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh hun **big hugs**

I think the problem is that the rules were in place but a lot of idiots did run around willy nilly and now we’re all paying for it. Plus the additional idiots who went on summer holidays abroad rather than staying close to home, because clearly the world would have ended if they didn’t get to sit on the beach drinking lager for two weeks in the summer .

Several people we know are stuck in South Africa after going there on holiday over Christmas (before travel to SA was banned because of their mutated strain). They’ll have to be allowed home at some point, potentially bringing the SA mutated strain with them - you know, the one scientists think might not be susceptible to vaccines... Why not just wait this pandemic out at home this year? Lord knows the U.K. economy at the moment could do with people spending their cash here rather than abroad!

My only comment in our defence is that while we’re technically an island and possibly could have made better defence of that, in practical terms we’re not really an island at all: we’re connected to mainland Europe by road via the channel tunnel, which kind of wipes out any island ‘draw bridge’ policy. Especially in the middle of Brexit - can you imagine the political fallout if we’d closed the channel tunnel during Brexit negotiations?!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Alex T you are so funny, love this x

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T you are so funny, love this x

Some describe me as funny, my husband describes me as 'a bit of a bellend' :lol:

And of COURSE you can come to Paris! We can all look forward to some exciting cocktails & me, dancing a la table top, getting lifted down by a burly man (ooh la la!) with an earpiece & chucked very ungainly outside onto the cobbles in my heels with one, or possibly both, boobs escaping my top :lol:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some describe me as funny, my husband describes me as 'a bit of a bellend' :lol:

And of COURSE you can come to Paris! We can all look forward to some exciting cocktails & me, dancing a la table top, getting lifted down by a burly man (ooh la la!) with an earpiece & chucked very ungainly outside onto the cobbles in my heels with one, or possibly both, boobs escaping my top :lol:
:lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Plus : I'm a cheap date, one glass of champagne is enough to make me join you on the table top!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One person allegedly refused the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine when offered, as he/she would rather wait for the "English" one!

DK :wall::wall::wall:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One person allegedly refused the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine when offered, as he/she would rather wait for the "English" one!

DK :wall::wall::wall:

:-o

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am missing out on two celebrations in February when I would normally go out to have a couple of nice/fancy meals in the past.

I can't do that this year as restaurants are closed due to lockdown.

I can delay the celebrations at a later date, or use to money saved to have a CS set to cheer me up - no prize in guessing what I am planning to do!

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am missing out on two celebrations in February when I would normally go out to have a couple of nice/fancy meals in the past.

I can't do that this year as restaurants are closed due to lockdown.

I can delay the celebrations at a later date, or use to money saved to have a CS set to cheer me up - no prize in guessing what I am planning to do!

DK :))

Get the stone set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results