shape
carat
color
clarity

Full National Lockdown in the UK. Again.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our first lockdown in March was this, the same as France. Everything closed, even the Dentists. It was really hard & I cried for my kids. It was for 12 weeks, but still here we are.

And the ridiculous 'relaxing' for 5 days over Christmas is now, as predicted, biting everyone on the arse. Including me & my very large family, who all did the right thing & met over Zoom as we decided the relaxing was a stupid idea. But stupid is what stupid does & we all pay the price. Urgh!

This 10000000000000 times!!!!

ETA: we were 25 for Christmas last year, 8 slept here several days.

This year it was just us. I was pretty unpopular with my in laws.

But as I said: my kids are going to 5 different classes with 20-29 kids each. It's a privilege. Which in turn demands from me not to have any contacts but those inevitable ones (which are heavily regulated by a strict masking and sanitary protocol).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The problem is @Daisys and Diamonds that the Govt rely on people to comply and act sensibly. THAT’S the mistake, not necessarily that they should’ve done this then, or that then, it’s that they think that people will actually comply. You know the saying about giving someone and inch and they’ll take a mile? Yep, when you tell people they can mix with their bubble, the morons take that to mean, OK, I can go out and have a party, mix with as many people as I want and act like a complete and utter selfish butthole. The Christmas bubble was supposed to be that after having a hard year not being able to see your loved ones, this was an opportunity for you to ensure you were careful before seeing your loved ones, still practice distancing on the day, washing your hands, and taking all necessary measures to keep you and them safe. How the morons take that to mean do whatever you want is beyond me.

What i noticed here is in level 4 everyone was very good, as soon as they announced we would be moving into level 3 people slackened off before we actually got to level 3
i like to hope that they took this into account

I also remember either the director general of heath or a supermarket CEO or maybe even the PM saying is one thing they did wrong was to say dont hoard
Because aa soon as you say Don't people naturally want to do it

I hope the peeps in charge are learning from the mistakes and not remaking the same ones over again

Its interesting to see what countries populations are more likelly to do what they are told ?
I mean i dont personally like 'she who should be obayed' but she's the PM and i chose to trust she had better info than i did

Please just stay safe everyone
you can't really trust anyone outside of your own bubble no matter how much you love them
Sp you gotta do what ever you have to, to keep your own household safe

that thread od Kenny's makes me think what it must have been like in the Spanish flu

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T @kipari @Snowdrop13 @Austina @MillieLou and everyone else in the UK, it sucks but hang in there. You are almost in the home stretch. (((HUGS))). Honestly wish we could do lockdowns to smash the pandemic down but you know how many Americans are regarding their "precious" freedom. At the expense of everyone else's safety. Ugh.

Thanks @missy for the song !

You are very welcome @kipari. L7 speaks the truth. The masses are a**e**. :(

I had 2 teenage boys (probably between 18 and 20) standing hard up behind me in a line at my local diner today, without masks. I told them they needed to step back and asked them to put their masks back on.

One of them told me to calm down and suggested that I shouldn't leave the house if I was so at risk.

I told him to shut up and f*ck off and come back when he knew anything about anything, which he clearly didn't. I told him he was just the type who'd be asymptomatic, spreading a virus around, while other people died. And that that would be his contribution to society.

They went somewhere else to eat.

My DH, who was standing next to me, gave me that "They messed with the wrong old lady" look.

ETA Pls excuse the language - but that really was what I said. And, frankly, I'm so over these idiots, they're lucky that's all I said.

Thank you @mrs-b. Absolutely justified. Damn right they messed with the wrong person.

youareaforcetobereckonedwith.jpg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did I hear right that all exams were going to be cancelled this year? And if so, where does that leave your son? Do they get to sit them at a later date, or do they get predicted grades?? My heart is aching for all the kids. Big hugs to you & your son.

Thank you @Alex T , they are, so it will be predicted grades this year, as it was last year. They were supposed to do prelims next week, to provide the start of the evidence gathering, those won’t be happening until a later date. So hard to keep them motivated and studying through all this.

I‘ve just come back to work after several days off and the difference in mood with the staff is palpable. Everyone is edgy, stressed and low in mood.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The number in our city are climbing daily. I go to the store once a week and it kills me, I see families 4-6 people shopping, why does the whole family have to go to the store, give me a break. Then of course there are people who refuse to wear a mask and give you dirty looks for wearing one. People right upon you in the checkout lane, nobody keeping distance. When will they learn? Perhaps when they have lost a family member.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Alex T

Honestly @Daisys and Diamonds, the problem then and now has been because of people who still think this is all a hoax. Just last week an ER doctor was leaving one of the big London hospitals after his shift, and there were hundreds of unmasked morons outside shouting that it’s all a hoax. I honestly don’t know how you get through to people like that.

There are physician and nurses in rural areas of the US that are just choosing to leave for other places. I feel bad since these areas are already underserved usually, but I don’t blame them. I wouldn’t want to practice there either. Morale is bad enough where I am, an urban liberal city where almost everyone is masking and taking things seriously. I can’t imagine doing ER work in a place where people are also lining up to accuse me of lying and corruption and refusing to wear masks. Nope. Bye.

I worry about the healthcare force in the US in general. Lots of docs and nurses burning out. I work with medical students and I’m sad to see that many are apprehensive of pursuing Emergency medicine right now. :(

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I truly do not understand people who won't wear masks. Even if you're a selfish so-and-so who doesn't care about the vulnerable, why wouldn't a person do everything they can to avoid getting such a nasty bug? Who in their right mind doesn't care if they get this thing? Even if you recover, it still sounds horrible, and we don't know what the longterm effects are.

As for people who think it's a hoax, they must be breathtakingly stupid or worse. If you could study a group of hoaxers, I wonder if they'd show any commonalities, like being in the early stages of dementia (seriously - that would explain a lot), or would show exceptionally low IQs, or would score high on measures of paranoia and such. I cannot believe that anyone who falls within broad regular ranges of intelligence and physical-and-mental health could possibly think that this virus is a hoax.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I simply cannot understand people who won't wear masks. Even if you're a selfish so-and-so who doesn't care about the vulnerable, why wouldn't a person do everything they can to avoid getting such a nasty bug? Who in their right mind doesn't care if they get this thing? Even if you recover, it still sounds horrible, and we don't know what the longterm effects are.

As for people who think it's a hoax, they must be breathtakingly stupid or worse. If you could study a group of hoaxers, I wonder if they'd show any commonalities, like being in the early stages of dementia (seriously - that would explain a lot), or would show exceptionally low IQs, or would score high on measures of paranoia and such. I cannot believe that anyone who falls within broad regular ranges of intelligence and physical-and-mental health could possibly think that this virus is a hoax.

I had a friend on Fbook comment this morning that the homeschooling had begun again. A guy friend of hers (I don't know him) said good & that he was too, and at least that way he can prevent his child being taught lies, like when they taught her about the moon landings & he had to correct her & make sure she knew that the moon landing was all lies & a made up hoax. And then he added "we won't be getting vaccinated either. Can't vaccinate against something that isn't real". In shock, I clicked his profile (as you do) and he's the finance director of a huge company. He will be spreading that crap to people who look up to & respect him. What an arrogant arse.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, Alex T., that's insane! :confused:

ETA: I wonder if taking such an "out there" view correlates to measures of narcissism. As in, the subconscious thought process would look something like: "I believe quite differently from the vast majority; I can see something that others can't [i.e. that moon landings are fake]. This confirms that I'm special."

It sure would explain a lot of what's wrong with Trump!

Either this or paranoia. I just can't believe that anyone who's firmly anchored in reality could think the way the man in the example above does.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The number in our city are climbing daily. I go to the store once a week and it kills me, I see families 4-6 people shopping, why does the whole family have to go to the store, give me a break. Then of course there are people who refuse to wear a mask and give you dirty looks for wearing one. People right upon you in the checkout lane, nobody keeping distance. When will they learn? Perhaps when they have lost a family member.

What country do you live in @autumngems ?
I hope those people come to their senses soon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, Alex T., that's insane! :confused:

ETA: I wonder if taking such an "out there" view correlates to measures of narcissism. As in, the subconscious thought process would look something like: "I believe quite differently from the vast majority; I can see something that others can't [i.e. that moon landings are fake]. This confirms that I'm special."

It sure would explain a lot of what's wrong with Trump!

Either this or paranoia. I just can't believe that anyone who's firmly anchored in reality could think the way the man in the example above does.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there. It was definitely a shocking couple of sentences, but even more shocking that he was clearly an intelligent man?!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
<clutching at straws> any chance it was ironic or an "in joke"? I wouldn't be able to help myself asking the mutual friend.

If he was serious --> :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
<clutching at straws> any chance it was ironic or an "in joke"? I wouldn't be able to help myself asking the mutual friend.

If he was serious --> :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

No - she called him out on it later down the comments & it seems he was deadly serious. They agreed to disagree in the end!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
As a person who has taken an interest in several conspiracy theories (including the one mentioned above) ......
2zo1ki.jpg
I support vacination

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had 2 teenage boys (probably between 18 and 20) standing hard up behind me in a line at my local diner today, without masks. I told them they needed to step back and asked them to put their masks back on.

One of them told me to calm down and suggested that I shouldn't leave the house if I was so at risk.

I told him to shut up and f*ck off and come back when he knew anything about anything, which he clearly didn't. I told him he was just the type who'd be asymptomatic, spreading a virus around, while other people died. And that that would be his contribution to society.

They went somewhere else to eat.

My DH, who was standing next to me, gave me that "They messed with the wrong old lady" look.

ETA Pls excuse the language - but that really was what I said. And, frankly, I'm so over these idiots, they're lucky that's all I said.

You and your husband: my new heroes! You for confronting the idiots and your husband so clearly backing you instead of being embarrassed by the confrontation!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an acquaintance who's a conspiracy theorist too. Very nice woman before Covid. Liberal leaning and a bit naïve, but nice.

She shares conspiracy cr*p on FB all day long. I need FB for one specific activity only and whenever I log on, the feed shows her whacko links.
Totally insane. Her DH seems to be into it too. He's a mathematician . She's in my home country, so I don't have to deal with her personally. Our mutual friends all went NC after she started attending (unmasked) protest marches. That's not only annoying, that's downright dangerous. She doesn't care.:doh:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well ..... :mrgreen2: :mrgreen2: :mrgreen2:
i have spent many hours watching moon landing hoax theories on the internet (insomnia)
But i really love our American friends and i love and respect our great freind, the US

but when they quote that line about countries that don't use metric and have been to the moon ... i secretly have a wee giggle to myself ...

So i choose not to go there for the good of international relations
(i do desperate want the moon landing to have been real)

but no way have i ever for one second thought covid 19 was a hoax or this sh#t about Bill Gates etc and vaccination (even though i do think we have too much human population everywhere)

I must say as ive got older and life has got harder im less inclined to want to beleave bad things about people and their motives and intentions
Because ... you know
i know who i want to be the good guys

And its not good for one's own mental health to always be looking for the bad in people

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an acquaintance who's a conspiracy theorist too. Very nice woman before Covid. Liberal leaning and a bit naïve, but nice.

She shares conspiracy cr*p on FB all day long. I need FB for one specific activity only and whenever I log on, the feed shows her whacko links.
Totally insane. Her DH seems to be into it too. He's a mathematician . She's in my home country, so I don't have to deal with her personally. Our mutual friends all went NC after she started attending (unmasked) protest marches. That's not only annoying, that's downright dangerous. She doesn't care.:doh:

I hate facebook
So much utter bull#hit

i only go on there to stay in touch with my freinds from my Springsteen community who got banned (all due to political discussions) but all sorts of people come out of the woodwork wanting to befreind me ...i just pretend not to see them
One is this nut job customer from my old work
i used to listen to his theories tp be nice, because no one else did or would
Like a good deed
And 2% of the time i agreed with him
but nooo
Not befriending him on facebook
Bad enough he has my phone number (we had major phone issues at my work so we used to use our personal phones to call ans text customers on urgent matters)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like a friend of mine too. The stuff she posts is down right dangerous, not to mention bizarre - I have started to report most of her stuff because i can do it anonymously. Wacko stuff. She's had her Twitter account suspended 3 times since Covid & is always complaining about the Facebook Mafia taking down her posts. Perhaps she needs to think about why rather than banging on about the prevention of free speech.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a friend of mine too. The stuff she posts is down right dangerous, not to mention bizarre - I have started to report most of her stuff because i can do it anonymously. Wacko stuff. She's had her Twitter account suspended 3 times since Covid & is always complaining about the Facebook Mafia taking down her posts. Perhaps she needs to think about why rather than banging on about the prevention of free speech.
This is rambling ....
Ive had coffee !

It's like in a lot of cases the law has not caught up with social media/ internet
we had a very high profile murder case here a while back (the murder of a young British back packer)
We have very strict laws about what can and cannot be reported in the press because we have a much smaller pool of potential and unbiased jurors just due to having a smaller population
The UK press pack published all the details in the UK and it was all on the internet here

also that dreadful mosque bombings in Chch
What kind of person would repost footage like that?
It was made illegal to possess that footage here
Govt's are scrabbling to stay one foot behind the internet

Im not usually a fan of big government but some times its nersesary for our own good

a newspaper cannot print lies as fact (well not here .....)
Social media is a dangerous can of worms

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You and your husband: my new heroes! You for confronting the idiots and your husband so clearly backing you instead of being embarrassed by the confrontation!

@minousbijoux -

The truth is - I had just come from the hospital where I'm currently being checked out for 2 new, growing lumps that have developed since I had cancer last year. I was beat, hadn't eaten anything yet that day, and just wasn't up to making anything at home. My diner does simple, clean food, so we went there for respite. The boys just picked the wrong day. But I can tell you for nothing - don't tell a woman who has been through as much crap as I have over the last 2 years and only leaves the house to go to hospital - not to leave the house. If I could 'not leave the house' - if that was an option - believe me, I'm currently so wrecked, I'd be at home 24/7, 365. Telling me I should calm down and not leave the house - YA THINK? Thanks for that, genius.

Altho, let's be honest - it's about 10 years since I was actually any sweeter than that. The privilege of age is that you really do cease caring what people think of you.

You're right, tho - my husband is awesome. And just because he deserves it - I'm putting this photo up here again: this was him standing outside my hospital window before my last cardiac surgery last May during covid, when he couldn't come in and be with me when they took me into the OR - or at any other time during my 8 day stay. Man's a champion.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@minousbijoux -

The truth is - I had just come from the hospital where I'm currently being checked out for 2 new, growing lumps that have developed since I had cancer last year. I was beat, hadn't eaten anything yet that day, and just wasn't up to making anything at home. My diner does simple, clean food, so we went there for respite. The boys just picked the wrong day. But I can tell you for nothing - don't tell a woman who has been through as much crap as I have over the last 2 years and only leaves the house to go to hospital - not to leave the house. If I could 'not leave the house' - if that was an option - believe me, I'm currently so wrecked, I'd be at home 24/7, 365. Telling me I should calm down and not leave the house - YA THINK? Thanks for that, genius.

Altho, let's be honest - it's about 10 years since I was actually any sweeter than that. The privilege of age is that you really do cease caring what people think of you.

You're right, tho - my husband is awesome. And just because he deserves it - I'm putting this photo up here again: this was him standing outside my hospital window before my last cardiac surgery last May during covid, when he couldn't come in and be with me when they took me into the OR - or at any other time during my 8 day stay. Man's a champion.

20200501_140857.jpg

Its time for some sunshine to shine your way Mrs B

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No - she called him out on it later down the comments & it seems he was deadly serious. They agreed to disagree in the end!

Jaysus. You have to :lol: otherwise you'd :cry2:.

I do wonder if a subset of people have always thought this way, and we only know now because of social media, or if it's a modern thing.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@minousbijoux -

20200501_140857.jpg

Lots of love regarding the new investigations. Sending positive vibes for good news.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results