shape
carat
color
clarity

Final AVR comparison...2.12 and 2.29 I VS1

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahahaha! I'm just reading this whole long thread and was thinking you would regret not getting the 2.29. I was thinking I better not post that if you had already decided. I think it's going to be STUNNING!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wintotty|1367176942|3436178 said:
YAY!! I'm always up for bigger stone!!! (and you know me!)

You mentioned you couldn't tell the cut difference between 2, wonder if there are any? I remember Jonathan mentioning the AVR I have now was cut by a respective member in this forum, too.....

Ahhhhh!!!!!! Well, on the ASET, the cut is just perfection!!! That along with the cutter (and size) was very appealing to me! Very, very interesting that your stone was cut by him as well! Maybe yours will be my upgrade! :bigsmile: (But it is true that I couldn't visually see a difference between the two stones.

But if I were you, I'd request that any stone he tries to have cut for you be cut by Yoram. It just makes it extra special to me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1367179695|3436197 said:
Ahahaha! I'm just reading this whole long thread and was thinking you would regret not getting the 2.29. I was thinking I better not post that if you had already decided. I think it's going to be STUNNING!!!!

I am the most crazy, indecisive person I know! From 1.6 to 2.12 was a jump for me, but there was something about the 2.29 that made me want to try it! We'll see!!!

I did talk to Lynda at GOG yesterday and she said Vatche is running a little behind so it could be as long as 3 weeks.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Its like I come home at the end of the day dying to know what your decision is now I have to wait another 30 days the suspense is killing me. I was ready for you to take the 2.12 and then surprise your really considering the 2.9....but what if the 2.12 is gone if you decide to late. will you keep the 2.9 or keep looking......I wish I could find a money tree because I am now falling in love with the older cuts and I want a bigger one than my .80 pendant lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1367195083|3436343 said:
Its like I come home at the end of the day dying to know what your decision is now I have to wait another 30 days the suspense is killing me. I was ready for you to take the 2.12 and then surprise your really considering the 2.9....but what if the 2.12 is gone if you decide to late. will you keep the 2.9 or keep looking......I wish I could find a money tree because I am now falling in love with the older cuts and I want a bigger one than my .80 pendant lol

It is an illness, it really is!!! :lol: I still definitely love ideal cut rounds! But these are really special!!!

I will be in trouble if the 2.12 is gone! :errrr: I know that is the most rational choice, but something was just making me think I needed to TRY the 2.29! I am over budget with the 2.29, and I think the 2.12 is fine in my world...large even. But I really love the facet pattern in these stones, and the larger they are, the better I can see them!

It will take 2-3 weeks for the stone to be set. Then I get to try it out and see if I can deal with the size. And if I can, then I have to decide if the price is worth the larger size! At this point, I have no idea how this will turn out!

(If I decide against the 2.29 and the 2.12 sells, then I do not know what I'd do! I just hope the option is still there!)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1367198926|3436373 said:
(If I decide against the 2.29 and the 2.12 sells, then I do not know what I'd do! I just hope the option is still there!)

DS- good luck! Ohhh the anticipation of this is just sooo good..... However, I am sure that there will be options! Maybe a 2.75 will come up!!!!!! :cheeky: hehehehe....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1367201976|3436394 said:

DS- good luck! Ohhh the anticipation of this is just sooo good..... However, I am sure that there will be options! Maybe a 2.75 will come up!!!!!! :cheeky: hehehehe....

Haha! Well, since DF has predicted it, who knows???? :lol:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If that happens, it's just not meant to be .. another will come along.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1367205668|3436436 said:
If that happens, it's just not meant to be .. another will come along.

I definitely believe that, Charmy! I try not to ever dwell on the one that got away. Maybe you will find a 3 ct by then.... ;))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:bigsmile:
diamondseeker2006|1367202055|3436397 said:
gregchang35|1367201976|3436394 said:

Haha! Well, since DF has predicted it, who knows???? :lol:
He knows!!.. . :praise: ;))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I so wish Jon could just place the 2.12 on hold til you get the 2.29 back mounted so you can make sure before he sells it to someone else.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1367244988|3436599 said:
I so wish Jon could just place the 2.12 on hold til you get the 2.29 back mounted so you can make sure before he sells it to someone else.

Ame, the problem is that I may have to live with it a couple of weeks before deciding if I want to keep the 2.29. And Linda told me that Vatche is running behind and it could be 2-3 weeks before they finish it. So that would be like 5 weeks the other stone would be on hold, so I can't ask them that, unfortunately. I didn't think it would take that long to get the new head made, so it does add a little extra risk, especially since I have basically advertised the stone here!!! :-o

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I seriously doubt that you will regret getting the 2.29, was my choice from your statement that the lovely faceting is seen better in the larger stone. Go big and no regrets IMO... :naughty:

chicam

Shiny_Rock
If you are going to be hanging onto the 2.29 for up to 5 weeks, wouldn't that mean that you own it, given it would be past the one month mark at that time. This is the reason you had given for needing to return the 2.12.
I however voted for the 2.29, so I'm glad you have a real chance at it.
Love your threads. They are always delicious.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I never jumped in on this thread because I am by no means an expert, but I definitely watched to see where it went. Can I just say, my inner diamond lover is jumping up and down that you are giving the 2.29 a try. It was definitely my favorite, the cutter, the size, and the amazing, huge, chunky facets! I really do not think you will regret picking this beauty!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chicam|1367253274|3436680 said:
If you are going to be hanging onto the 2.29 for up to 5 weeks, wouldn't that mean that you own it, given it would be past the one month mark at that time. This is the reason you had given for needing to return the 2.12.
I however voted for the 2.29, so I'm glad you have a real chance at it.
Love your threads. They are always delicious.

I won't be sent the 2.29 until it is set, so the 30 days will begin then. But I am not sure I would have done it had I realized it might take 3 weeks!

Thanks so much!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1367258074|3436746 said:
I never jumped in on this thread because I am by no means an expert, but I definitely watched to see where it went. Can I just say, my inner diamond lover is jumping up and down that you are giving the 2.29 a try. It was definitely my favorite, the cutter, the size, and the amazing, huge, chunky facets! I really do not think you will regret picking this beauty!!! :appl:

Thanks, armywife! I think all of you with the large OECs are inspiring me to go larger! :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you decide the 2.29 is not for you, then I don't think the 2.12 will be the answer anyways. You said yourself it doesn't look any smaller really. And you have already decided the price difference is ok for you since you went with your heart and ordered the 2.29 set! So... all this is to say if you get the 2.29 and decide it is not the one for you then you should basically just go in a totally different direction in my opinion!

So don't fret about the 2.12.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1367263252|3436829 said:
If you decide the 2.29 is not for you, then I don't think the 2.12 will be the answer anyways. You said yourself it doesn't look any smaller really. And you have already decided the price difference is ok for you since you went with your heart and ordered the 2.29 set! So... all this is to say if you get the 2.29 and decide it is not the one for you then you should basically just go in a totally different direction in my opinion!

So don't fret about the 2.12.
This!!! Well said, Dreamer!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, food for thought!!!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
DS I still think once you have that ring on your finger and go about your daily business that it will seem like its been on your finger for ever.

I wear my 3.66 every day. It is just there.... I still after 11 years ,stare at it when the sunlight comes into the window as I am driving my car.

. I get at least one compliment every day and I love that.

My friends all (except one with 6.7 carat pear) have a carat or less and my friends don't even see my ring any more because its just apart of my hand and I love it...........(except for the $750 a year to insure it lol).

so I hope you love your ring

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1367282026|3437007 said:
DS I still think once you have that ring on your finger and go about your daily business that it will seem like its been on your finger for ever.

I wear my 3.66 every day. It is just there.... I still after 11 years ,stare at it when the sunlight comes into the window as I am driving my car.

. I get at least one compliment every day and I love that.

My friends all (except one with 6.7 carat pear) have a carat or less and my friends don't even see my ring any more because its just apart of my hand and I love it...........(except for the $750 a year to insure it lol).

so I hope you love your ring

That is encouraging to hear, Heidi! I hope that will be the case for me! I am also not looking forward to my insurance doubling, but such are the burdens of having beautiful diamonds! :bigsmile: (I think I saw you have some beautiful pearl drops that you hang from your studs, and I commented on another thread how much I like them!)

I need to go look and see if you have ever posted your diamond ring!!! I'd love to see it! (I don't see a thread, so you need to show us your ring very soon!)

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
Hey ladies... I need some help/advice if you will! Sorry if I'm hijacking this topic, I thought it was relevant though.

I've never posted on here, so I hope I don't break the rules or anything! Anyway, I am looking to buy a diamond for a really special girl! I started the search back in January, but really started looking seriously a few weeks ago. I'm ready to buy something now. I had narrowed it down to a 2.008ct Brian Gavin Blue I Color VS1 that was ideal cut, polish, and symmetry. I was actually ready to pull the trigger on the diamond, when I saw an image of an August Vintage round on a Google search. I thought it was SO cool, and I thought it my lady might really like it! She is a wonderful, hard working young lady that is really into vintage stuff. I think she might really like the more traditional look of one of these. So now, I'm thinking this is the route to go. I found a stream of topics where Diamond Seeker was looking at several of these diamonds, I'm ashamed to say how much I read (and learned!) of her search!

What do you think about me getting her an August Vintage over a hearts and arrows? I think it's really cool, the lady at BG warned me that because of the nature of the cuts of the stone it's light performance might not be on par with a hearts and arrows. That's my biggest concern. I've looked at A LOT of pictures, and watched a lot of the youtube videos.

Can you all give me some help/advice?!?!

Thanks so much!!!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
You should definetely just start your own thread we'll be happy to help . If you just leave it here we won't all see it . So just cut and paste in new topic Just go to top where it says new topic and just type in AVR vs H&R and start a thread.....GOG has awesome AVR

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aspalmer84|1368839496|3449351 said:
Hey ladies... I need some help/advice if you will! Sorry if I'm hijacking this topic, I thought it was relevant though.

I've never posted on here, so I hope I don't break the rules or anything! Anyway, I am looking to buy a diamond for a really special girl! I started the search back in January, but really started looking seriously a few weeks ago. I'm ready to buy something now. I had narrowed it down to a 2.008ct Brian Gavin Blue I Color VS1 that was ideal cut, polish, and symmetry. I was actually ready to pull the trigger on the diamond, when I saw an image of an August Vintage round on a Google search. I thought it was SO cool, and I thought it my lady might really like it! She is a wonderful, hard working young lady that is really into vintage stuff. I think she might really like the more traditional look of one of these. So now, I'm thinking this is the route to go. I found a stream of topics where Diamond Seeker was looking at several of these diamonds, I'm ashamed to say how much I read (and learned!) of her search!

What do you think about me getting her an August Vintage over a hearts and arrows? I think it's really cool, the lady at BG warned me that because of the nature of the cuts of the stone it's light performance might not be on par with a hearts and arrows. That's my biggest concern. I've looked at A LOT of pictures, and watched a lot of the youtube videos.

Can you all give me some help/advice?!?!

Thanks so much!!!

Well, I am a true admirer of hearts and arrows stones, but there is something very, very special about AVRs!!! It sounds like you know your girl and she might really be thrilled to have a unique stone like an AVR. I will have to tell you that there are few as picky about cut as me, and all the AVRs I have see. Had excellent cut and light performance. Otherwise I wouldn't consider them! Let me know if you have more questions.

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
DS - Thanks so much for the reply! Did you ever up finding an AVR stone for you? Do you have any recommendations for me?

My main concern is this... with hearts and arrows there are thousands of stones out there, and it seems there is a pretty standard guideline for what an "ideal" cut is... but is that the same case with the AVR? There are not near as many out there. Are the cuts as good as hearts and arrows? Hopefully that question makes sense!

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
DS - I also know you have seen a lot of the stones... the 1.81 and 2.12 are within my budget... and kinda what's on my radar. Any preference or advice? There doesn't seem to be a huge size difference between the two... although it is noticeable.

Which one did you think had better light performance? How about color? I think I will be ok with the color of either. My main concern is the light performance. The other diamond I am considering is a BG Blue, and I've read so many good things about the light performance of those diamonds. I really like the fact that GOG has nice pictures and is willing to take more and make videos. The pictures on the BG website look like computer generated images and not real pictures (although they are of the actual diamond) and it makes it a bit tough for me to see what the diamond actually is until I get it in hand.

I think the cut on the 1.81 looks nice, but I feel the 2.12 maybe kicks off more light of the table? Here is a video of the two side by side... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_d_QE2HiM&feature=youtu.be

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Sorry I was out of town yesterday afternoon until now and haven't been online!

Well, I have seen both of those in person and strongly considered buying both. They are both gorgeous and one does not have better performance than the other. A third stone, a 2.29 I AVR, is being set in my setting right now to try out. I had debated back and forth over the 2.12 and the 2.29. I felt like the 2.29 might be too big for me (last ring was 1.5 cts), but I just felt like I should try it. My plan was to switch back to the 2.12 if I decide the 2.29 is too big. But I knew when I did this I was taking a chance that the 2.12 would sell, so don't worry about it if you decide on that one. I am just trying to be honest and tell you that I dearly loved all three of these stones and would be proud to have any of them, but that has resulted in me being a little indecisive. The 1.8 I really love (and saw several months ago), but I was going from a G to an I, and I was uncomfortable with the color drop. I am not sure if it is just that I have adjusted to the color difference or not, but I felt like the 2.12 and 2.29 I color stones were slightly whiter than the 1.8. But it may be in my head, too. I just don't know because I didn't see all three together. The 1.8 is a great value, though, because it looks really close to the size of the 2.12 but you don't pay for the price jump at the 2 ct mark. All of them had advantages in terms of best price, biggest size, etc! That's why it was hard for me to choose!

I don't think you have to worry with any of these stones as far as cut quality goes because they are top notch! All the images below the main image on the webpages for the stones show that they are cut with precision and have excellent light return. I have had a H&A stone and do not feel these perform less in any way. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the reply! I really want to go with one of these diamonds! I have to do something this week, because I'm going to the beach with the fam next week and plan on popping the question!

I really think she will like the AVR cut. As long as they sparkle nice, then I don't have any reservations! I'm not sure what I should get, I'm leaning towards the 1.81 since the size seems similar to the bigger stone, and think I might like the cut slightly more (I think it looks a little different for some reason), although I did plan on getting her a 2ct. She has long skinny fingers...pretty big for a lady.

I hate to have to pay extra for VVS1 when I would be fine with a VS1, but it's still less than the bigger stones. I'll let you know what I decide.

Do you know why these stones don't technically have a "cut" grade on the AGS report? They just have polish and symmetry...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they are not graded for cut like traditional H&A stones since they are a specialty cut. They don't have the same angles, etc. that H&A stones have. But all the light performance information shows that they are extremely well cut. You are correct that the style of the cut of the 1.8 and the 2.12 are slightly different. I like both and it really is personal preference.

What size is her finger? You do need to decide quickly if you want them to get it into some kind of setting before your beach trip! They are closed Sun and Mon, though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results