shape
carat
color
clarity

Final AVR comparison...2.12 and 2.29 I VS1

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am totally happy with my new 2.12 I VS1 AVR, but I knew she had a sister stone just slightly larger that made me feel that I should at least compare them before having my diamond set. I got it last night and it is cloudy today, so I just got a few comparison shots. I wish you could see them in person, because in natural light, you see the amazing pastels that these stones throw off! I can't capture what I see in the pictures! The turquoise you see is from my shirt. The color appears the same. The 2.12 is 8.15mm while the 2.29 is 8.4mm, but there is not a huge size difference. The 2.12 is plenty big enough for me, but these facets are even better the larger the stone. Another plus is that the cutter of the 2.29 is a member here and someone I really admire for his exceptional cutting. The downside is that the 2.29 is considerably more expensive. No one can really resolve this for me because I have to decide what size I am comfortable with and how much I am comfortable spending. I really love these stones and appreciate that Good Old Gold decided to design them.

So while I try to figure this out, I thought I'd share a few pictures.

img_848.jpg

img_0572.jpg

img_0587.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
size comparison..2.29 on left, 2.12 on right

xavr212.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
views of the facet patterns

_5641.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally get to see the pics! I like the bigger one b/c the facets are more pronounced and flowery to my eye! :love:

What did Jon say about which one he liked better?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
DS, can you take some pictures of the 2.29 on top? I want to see if the placement affects perception. I do prefer one over the other but suspect the angles might be the cause.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both gorgeous but I agree that the facets are more obvious on the bigger one. Good luck with your decision.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
They're both gorgeous! If I were in your shows, what it'd come down to is asking myself if I'd ever upgrade again....You really can't make a wrong decision, BUT I will bring up the DSS ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1366394970|3430585 said:
Finally get to see the pics! I like the bigger one b/c the facets are more pronounced and flowery to my eye! :love:

What did Jon say about which one he liked better?

He didn't say! They are almost identical in cut except for the size factor!

I agree about the bigger facets. Just think how good a 3 ct one would look!!! :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1366395315|3430590 said:
DS, can you take some pictures of the 2.29 on top? I want to see if the placement affects perception. I do prefer one over the other but suspect the angles might be the cause.

Sure, I can try if it isn't raining. The cuts are both the new style, though. The 2.12 has about a 43 table and the 2.29 has around 46 and that is one difference. I'd have to look at angle measurements.

I'll reply to everyone in a sec. I'll try to get the pics before it rains.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
What fabulous weekend company! The 2.29 is larger in comparison than I thought it would be. Both are glorious.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
mom2boys said:
I like the bigger one b/c the facets are more pronounced and flowery to my eye! :love:

+1, but it may also be the pictures / angles.

Good luck with your decision, either way you can't go wrong!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, the size difference is hardly noticeable! If the larger one is significantly more money, I would probably stick with the 2.12.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
two_little_birds|1366396471|3430607 said:
mom2boys said:
I like the bigger one b/c the facets are more pronounced and flowery to my eye! :love:

+2...for me, it would depend on how great the price difference is since they are visually so similar.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
both the same color? how much difference in price?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, do these help any, FK? Larger stone is on top.

img_0615.jpg

img_0625.jpg

img_850.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone who has commented! I really, really appreciate all your comments and opinions! Well, the price difference is over $5k. Is that close enough to give you an idea?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Well as much as I love size, for that cost difference I would personally go with the smaller and get the French cut band at VC that you love.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1366398187|3430631 said:
Well as much as I love size, for that cost difference I would personally go with the smaller and get the French cut band at VC that you love.

Well, that is a good point. I do want a french cut band and have looked into that, too.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1366398067|3430630 said:
Thanks to everyone who has commented! I really, really appreciate all your comments and opinions! Well, the price difference is over $5k. Is that close enough to give you an idea?

For 5k, I would go with the smaller of the two. They are SO close in appearance to me that it wouldn't be worth it, personally. That 5k could go towards an amazing setting or new band!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert at all...but in the last picture of your first set of pictures I decided I liked the 2.12 best.. Not sure why it was just the one I liked better. In the second set I really like the smaller one better so I'm consistent.... Tough decision, because of course, they are both fabulous! :love:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, both are absolutely gorgeous! Id almost cast my vote for the 2.12 and get the French cut band. I'm not sure the size difference would be enough to justify the cost difference for me. But, I do know there is a mind clean issue at play and don't think you should settle if the larger one just speaks to you! You really can't go wrong though because both incredible!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
You had me drooling over the larger stone until you unmasked the $5,000 difference. you were sooo in love with the 2.12 so stick to the original plan (but in my heart size matters love the larger one.....LOL))) :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies!!! I will say that the price difference is the sticking point for me. Both are gorgeous and certainly the extra size is appealing and not over the top as I was afraid it might be. But sadly, I don't have unlimited money, so there would be sacrifices in regard to other jewelry for awhile if I went for the larger one.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if the money wasn't a factor for you I would choose the 2.29. Both facet patterns are gorgeous and similar but the 2.29 is, to my eye, significantly larger. I see the size difference easily and for me it would be a no brainer. I would rather forgo the french cut band for now DS and get the larger diamond because you are never going to upgrade again (probably) and down the road you can get your french cut band. The AVR is the main attraction and I say go big or go home. :cheeky: Though you really cannot go wrong with either choice but just sharing my honest thoughts with you. I would rather sacrifice getting other jewelry for now in order to get the biggest most beautiful diamond. Good luck with your decision!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Missy! That is certainly a very valid point as well! It is easy to see why this is a hard decision!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1366404025|3430697 said:
Well, if the money wasn't a factor for you I would choose the 2.29. Both facet patterns are gorgeous and similar but the 2.29 is, to my eye, significantly larger. I see the size difference easily and for me it would be a no brainer. I would rather forgo the french cut band for now DS and get the larger diamond because you are never going to upgrade again (probably) and down the road you can get your french cut band. The AVR is the main attraction and I say go big or go home. :cheeky: Though you really cannot go wrong with either choice but just sharing my honest thoughts with you. I would rather sacrifice getting other jewelry for now in order to get the biggest most beautiful diamond. Good luck with your decision!!!

+1.

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the 2.12 better, not because it's less $, but becuase I *like* it better. For some reason it seem brighter to me.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
yennyfire|1366397241|3430617 said:
mom2boys said:

+2...for me, it would depend on how great the price difference is since they are visually so similar.

That's a big price tag for such a small size increase! Unless you are truly drawn more to the 2.29, I'd go with the 2.12 and get the French cut band. If the thought of sending the 2.29 back makes you feel sick, there's your answer.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1366406387|3430727 said:
yennyfire|1366397241|3430617 said:
mom2boys said:

That's a big price tag for such a small size increase! Unless you are truly drawn more to the 2.29, I'd go with the 2.12 and get the French cut band. If the thought of sending the 2.29 back makes you feel sick, there's your answer.

This is a very valid point as well - if sending it back makes you so sad you can't stand it, then you know!

They are both beautiful and you can't make a wrong choice in choosing either one but if I ever thought I wanted that larger size, this would be the time to do it. These stones are not plentiful so. . . . now or never I guess! Good luck with your decision - I know it's not easy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results