shape
carat
color
clarity

Final AVR comparison...2.12 and 2.29 I VS1

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking her finger is probably a 5 or 6... I'm going to find out tomorrow! I've got a little ring chart, and I'm going to sneak and get one of her rings to make sure!

I'm ready to buy something. I just need to decide if it's going to be an AVR or hearts and arrows. After talking to you about the cut and light performance I guess that's the direction I will take.

Any final thoughts or advice?!? =D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can tell you is that she will probably love having a unique diamond! I think she will especially love it if she likes antique style settings. But I am having mine set in a simple solitaire for now, so it certainly is not required to have an antique setting. Are you just going to have GOG set it in a simple setting? You can always let her choose an antique style setting later. There are many beautiful ones! But you don't have time to really do anything but have it set in a plain solitaire setting for now.

One other note. You can always tell her that if she thinks she'd prefer a traditional round diamond, you can always trade the diamond for a H&A. If they don't have exactly what you want, Jonathan will get some in for you. He has a few now at various prices at 2 cts:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10828/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8175/

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
I had already decided to just do a round diamond with a Tiffany style setting.

Is GOG the only place that is doing a new version of the OEC cut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aspalmer84|1368934691|3449833 said:
I had already decided to just do a round diamond with a Tiffany style setting.

Is GOG the only place that is doing a new version of the OEC cut?

I only know of one other source, but they apparently don't have many, and the one I saw on their site was about a 1.6 ct stone set in a setting at around $35,000! So I am going to say, there may be some out there somewhere, but GOG is the only place I know of to really buy one! (I had asked the other place for a setting quote and that is why I found they had a few newly cut OEC's. But the price they quoted me for the setting was about double, too. So needless to say, I moved on!)

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
WOW! They are a cool cut, too bad there are not more of them out there. I guess most people just simply don't know what they are. All you hear about and see are hearts and arrows. It's a tough decision for me to make! LOL

When you had them in hand did you compare their sparkle to your RB diamonds?

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
Also, according to the ASET and DiamXray how does the 1.81 compare to the 2.12. They look different. I also saw the ones for the 2.29... and it looks different as well. From what little I understand about them, it looks like the 2.29 performs the best.

For instance on the 1.81 the "flower petal" facets are blue on the ASET... and are light in spots with blackish tips on the DiamXray.Also, the facets on the outside are somewhat black. On the other hand the 2.29 the facets in the middle are red on the ASET and the DiamXray is pretty much totally red.

The 2.12 looks slightly different as well...

I'm new to this stuff, and although I've read about them, I'm not the best at reading them. Any thoughts on that? Is there any meaningful light leakage on either of them? By the way, the 2.29 is really great! You should keep it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason we don't see more of them is that they are more expensive to cut (more rough is needed and cutting fees are higher in some cases). So diamond vendors can sell H&A stones for less money and naturally they want to cut what sells. However, in the overall scheme of things, almost no one has ever seen one of these diamonds! We do have some antique stone lovers on here, and there is a true love for old cut diamonds (myself included). But because it is like searching for a needle in a haystack to find an old stone with great light return and in the near colorless range, some of us choose to buy an AVR instead. Most of the old stones are in lower colors because over time many of the higher colored stones were recut into modern round brilliants.

Sure, I took many pictures with my regular diamond with the AVR's. They are just two different looks. A round brilliant is like a star and an AVR/OEC is like a snowflake. One has splintery bright facets and the other has larger bright facets allowing the pattern to be better seen. I love the patterns in the AVR, and I absolutely love the higher crown and smaller table of the AVR/OEC.

I'll see if I can find a few pics for you...(this is the 1.8 with my 1.58 ct round brilliant)

I will answer your new questions in a sec!

avr1_img_6.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another with my rb, but the diamonds are not the ones you are considering. The larger one was a 2.19 I SI1 that sold, and the other is a 1.9 J but it is a little smaller than the 1.8 I stone.

img_0219.jpg

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pictures! The 1.8 doesn't look any bigger than your 1.6. I'll be waiting to hear your answers! I REALLY appreciate the help! You should be the spokesperson for AVR's and OEC's!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aspalmer84|1368936851|3449844 said:
Also, according to the ASET and DiamXray how does the 1.81 compare to the 2.12. They look different. I also saw the ones for the 2.29... and it looks different as well. From what little I understand about them, it looks like the 2.29 performs the best.

For instance on the 1.81 the "flower petal" facets are blue on the ASET... and are light in spots with blackish tips on the DiamXray.Also, the facets on the outside are somewhat black. On the other hand the 2.29 the facets in the middle are red on the ASET and the DiamXray is pretty much totally red.

The 2.12 looks slightly different as well...

I'm new to this stuff, and although I've read about them, I'm not the best at reading them. Any thoughts on that? Is there any meaningful light leakage on either of them? By the way, the 2.29 is really great! You should keep it!

No, light leakage on the ASET or diamXray will show as white, but little specs are normal and expected even in hearts and arrows stones. Those images are almost all red and blue on the ASET (and blue is contrast). Green is neutral. These stones almost all show all red or red and blue. And the diamXray's are almost all red showing fantastic light return. They are all extremely well cut (all the ones we are talking about). I compared the 2.29 the 2.12 but I could not tell them apart as far as how they looked other than size. Their cuts are the same. The 1.8 does have a slightly different look in the center. At first I preferred it, and then I decided I could expand my horizons and like the others as well! But then I really got confused because I started creeping up in size and price! I have a very kind and tolerant husband, as you may guess!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aspalmer84|1368938183|3449852 said:
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pictures! The 1.8 doesn't look any bigger than your 1.6. I'll be waiting to hear your answers! I REALLY appreciate the help! You should be the spokesperson for AVR's and OEC's!

Haha! I told Jonathan that if I lived in NY, he may as well hire me to work at GOG! :lol: I have had several AVR's come to my house to visit!

My rb is 7.45mm and the 1.8 AVR is 7.8mm and it would look a little bigger if it was in a ring set at the same height as my other ring. It was in a solder thing that was just propped between my fingers so it was lower in the picture. It has a nice spread (diameter) because it has a lower depth. Many antique OEC's are very deep and face up small for their weight. That is another advantage of these as none are cut too deep.

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
Interesting! Do you happen to have any pictures of the 1.81 with the 2.12 or the 2.29?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aspalmer84|1368939482|3449860 said:
Interesting! Do you happen to have any pictures of the 1.81 with the 2.12 or the 2.29?

No, that one was my first prospect and I wasn't even considering going over 2 cts at the time. Two carats is a little over the top for some the people I am around, and needless to say, the price jump is there, too, when you go above 2 cts. But something mysterious happened (mentally!)and I sent for the 2.12. Then I thought I'd get it, but I decided I should look at the 2.29, too! That's how I happened to have both of those here at the same time.

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
LOL Ok! So are you for sure sticking with this one? =D

I'm going to definitely be getting a ring on Monday... I'll let you know what I decide!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aspalmer84|1368941072|3449867 said:
LOL Ok! So are you for sure sticking with this one? =D

I'm going to definitely be getting a ring on Monday... I'll let you know what I decide!

They may have internet staff working on Monday, but the store actually is closed on Mondays. You can however reserve a diamond online at anytime.

Oh, I am not sure what I will end up doing!!! I hope the ring comes back to me this coming week and I'll have to see if I can adjust to the size!

But I'll be very interested to see what you choose! :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey,

did you see they had a 2.11 or 2.12 (I can't remember which) on there about a week ago that was an I SI2 that was much cheaper in an AVR, it was only there for a day or two so someone snaffled it....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1368944462|3449878 said:
Hey,

did you see they had a 2.11 or 2.12 (I can't remember which) on there about a week ago that was an I SI2 that was much cheaper in an AVR, it was only there for a day or two so someone snaffled it....

No, I missed that. But I was looking for VS, so it wouldn't have been on my radar.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When is your ring due back??? I am hanging out to see it!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1368964681|3449903 said:

Tomorrow will be three weeks, and they told me at the outset that Vatche was running about 3 weeks on orders. So I am hoping for this week!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1368967083|3449908 said:
arkieb1|1368964681|3449903 said:

Tomorrow will be three weeks, and they told me at the outset that Vatche was running about 3 weeks on orders. So I am hoping for this week!

I hope so, I am dying to see it as well!!!! I would be hyperventilating with expectation...... :naughty:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooh! Can't wait to see it set! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies! I am looking forward to seeing what you two get as well!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't lie...really looking forward to seeing this ring on your hand! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1369006968|3450184 said:
Can't lie...really looking forward to seeing this ring on your hand! :appl:

Aww, thank you, too, junebug!!!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I am going crazy now waiting for my SS set. Greg Chang is right-the end part of the wait is killer!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I keep the cliche- good things come to those who wait, in mind....
And patience is a virtue!!!!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
True. Diamondseeker is a diamond camel. The journey through the desert with no bling is almost over :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
backwardsandinheels|1369062410|3450440 said:
I am going crazy now waiting for my SS set. Greg Chang is right-the end part of the wait is killer!

I am dying to see yours, too! Honestly, mine is just a temp setting so eventually I will have to go through the wait again if I ever choose a new setting!

I have been patient since I was told 3 weeks, so as of tomorrow I will start being impatient! :lol:

I am not sure that being a diamond camel is a virtue since I keep seeking after some imaginary perfect diamond and am never sure when I have found it!!!!

aspalmer84

Rough_Rock
Hi DS!

I hope you are doing well. I ended up going with the Brian Gavin Blue. The main reason is I couldn't justify paying the exatra $$ for VVS1 on the 1.81... and the 2.12 was a bit high for my budget as well.

I ended up getting this http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.008-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104062571038

I strongly considered this as well because of the F color... http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.736-f-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104064812032

...but the lady I was working with at BGD compared the two stones and said that hands down she though I should go with the bigger one... (hopefully just wasn't trying to up sale me!)

I LOVE the AVR's... maybe in the future I can get one and have her a pendant made or something.

Thanks for all of your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results