shape
carat
color
clarity

FI bought a generic looking Tiffany's ring...what are my options now?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just dislike all the comments about how I could have had a much larger non-branded ring for the same price etc etc.

Ignore that b/c it's not relevant to your situation and is frankly no one else's business if you want a branded ring or not. If I may say, you shouldn't let their comments egg you on or rush you towards getting a different / more distinct setting.

You just need to figure out if you can live with this ring until you upgrade to the one you really want or if you are going to hate wearing it, in which case it may be worth taking a loss on it and getting something else immediately.

I have seen a few people on here who didn't like their ERs at the start and turned out to love them, so I personally would probably wait and take advantage of Tiffany's upgrade policy later but that's such a personal decision.

Good luck!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I understand the comments being grating, as I get them too. But a few things to note- 1) you could have had something similar but not The Same. The craftsmanship is not hype 2) branded rings hold their value better should you want to sell down the line 3) you are backed by THE American luxury jewelry house that has been going strong for nearly 200 years and you get to enjoy service at Tiffany whenever you are near one. Are these things worth a few extra thousands? For some hell no, for me and my DH- yes. He NEVER would have bought a ring online. Never. Regardless of savings. And I could trust that he would go into Tiffany and come out with something glorious blindfolded. There are no duds. For your Fiance it was worth it too, and you agreed before the comments.

Diamonds are just expensive decor anyway right? There is no practical diamond purchase period. They serve no practical purpose. So who cares that you "wasted" a few k (although its not a waste, the brand is valuable). From a truly practical perspective the whole thing is a waste. If you resell it, then you certianly will be wasting money. Whats the point if you end up with 70% of purchase price (if youre lucky). That wont get you to Schlumberger price point... not to mention the upset in your relationship.

You are amazing! Thanks so much for your insights. I completely agree with you that the whole process is somewhat wasteful (in a way), but still a joyful experience.

Yes, the upset in the relationship is probably not worth the complete upheaval of my ring. I think just quietly saving for my upgrade will be my best bet at this point. I was just thinking that many folks on here talk about how vastly less expensive getting non-branded is, so I assumed that if I sold me ring for 70% of it's value, I still might end up being able to upgrade. But, like you said, it's all a bit of a waste now.

Thanks for your time and interest in my plight!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just dislike all the comments about how I could have had a much larger non-branded ring for the same price etc etc.

Ignore that b/c it's not relevant to your situation and is frankly no one else's business if you want a branded ring or not. If I may say, you shouldn't let their comments egg you on or rush you towards getting a different / more distinct setting.

You just need to figure out if you can live with this ring until you upgrade to the one you really want or if you are going to hate wearing it, in which case it may be worth taking a loss on it and getting something else immediately.

I have seen a few people on here who didn't like their ERs at the start and turned out to love them, so I personally would probably wait and take advantage of Tiffany's upgrade policy later but that's such a personal decision.

Good luck!

I think you're right. I need to just listen to supportive folks on here and go forward with the choice on my left finger.
I think I can live with this ring until I can upgrade (if we can afford to do so again in the future). There are other nice things I'd love to get as iconic jewelry pieces (the vintage Alhambra VCA necklace or a nice cartier bracelet) down the road, so perhaps allocating funds to an upgrade may not be entertained later on.

I appreciate you giving me your own personal take on what you would do in my situation. It helps knowing what other thoughtful folks, like yourself, would do in my shoes!!

Also for fun, here are the profile views of "the exact same ring you could have gotten for so much cheaper" LOL
yours:
soleste.JPG
a big, popular online retailer (looks like the head would snap off if you sneezed too hard)
solesteko.JPG
another popular online spot. CLUNKY!
bn.JPG

Absolutely! Your posts just make my day! When you start looking at visuals, it really tells another story. Your research into finding different comparable settings gives me a new way of looking at my ring. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that!
I don't know where the hug emoticon is, but that's what I'd put right now!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I think your ring is really pretty, and sits so well on your hand.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You folks bring a smile to my face! Thanks for being outraged for me!
It's mainly colleagues, my family (parents/siblings), some acquaintances etc.
They all say my FI overpaid, is foolish by going brand name for the price, and that no one will ever know what we have and all they see is an ordinary ring that doesn't have extraordinary specs etc.
I just don't know what to say back.

You don't know what to say back? Ooooohhh - let me help you!

"Perhaps you don't have an eye for fine jewelry?"

"Because we wanted best quality."

"I feel larger would have been garish."

"Because - TIFFANY! Hellooooo??"

"Because we researched. A LOT. And then we realized it was false economy in jewelry not to buy something with most value on the market."

"HELLOOOOOO - TIFFANY??"

"The Soleste is one of the most desired settings in the entire world. Often copied. Never bettered."

"Wow! You can't see the difference between this and a COSTCO ring? Just...wow..."

But there's always the one test NOBODY can fake and it requires no snarky comments. Buy an ultrasonic and clean your ring every day, so you're READY for this. Then the very next time someone makes this sort of comment - ask them to show you THEIR ring. Then quickly put your hand out next to theirs. Trust me - it will all become clear at that point.

@tfc_diamondlvr - you have a stunning, beautiful, American classic on your finger there! Anyone who knows ANYTHING about jewelry will spot this in a heartbeat. You're listening to the opinion of people who know nothing about jewelry. Come on over to the sparkly side, and let the Pricescope people - who know good jewelry when they see it - explain to you the value of what you have.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Because we researched. A LOT. And then we realized it was false economy in jewelry not to buy something with most value on the market."

"HELLOOOOOO - TIFFANY??"

"The Soleste is one of the most desired settings in the entire world. Often copied. Never bettered."

"Wow! You can't see the difference between this and a COSTCO ring? Just...wow..."

But there's always the one test NOBODY can fake and it requires no snarky comments. Buy an ultrasonic and clean your ring every day, so you're READY for this. Then the very next time someone makes this sort of comment - ask them to show you THEIR ring. Then quickly put your hand out next to theirs. Trust me - it will all become clear at that point.

@tfc_diamondlvr - you have a stunning, beautiful, American classic on your finger there! Anyone who knows ANYTHING about jewelry will spot this in a heartbeat. You're listening to the opinion of people who know nothing about jewelry. Come on over to the sparkly side, and let the Pricescope people - who know good jewelry when they see it - explain to you the value of what you have.

This cracked me up :D But the OP shouldn't need to say anything, those comments/questions people are offering up to her are straight up rude. Saying anything that's not along the lines of "wow!" "that's beautiful!" or "congratulations!" on anyone's engagement ring is in poor taste imho.

I do think the construction of the Soleste is much nicer and more structurally sound than the "bobblehead" design. I'm not sure about using an ultrasonic on it though b/c of the pave.

OP - the next time someone makes a rude comment to you, just shut them down with a long look so they can realize their impoliteness and keep on talking or doing whatever you were doing. :mrgreen2:

Enjoy your ring and, more importantly, your engagement.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I think your ring is really pretty, and sits so well on your hand.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your consideration of how it looks on me. I think that's a part of everything :)

"HELLOOOOOO - TIFFANY??"

The sparkly side of the pricescope ppl is amazing if it's folks like yourself that inhabit that side!!!

Thank you for lending me your time in considering my plight. Your responses are fantastic and hilarious! However, there's usually a kernal of truth in jest, so I also appreciate the revelations of truth in your comments too.

Again, it's very meaningful to me to have such kind comments from pricescopers like you. This is such a huge/expensive decision and it's nice to get some comfort from others in those decisions!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I happen to love the generic Tiffany rings and there's so much you can do with it via wedding and eternity rings. There's too much emphasis on getting perfection these days where formerly it was understood that you'd be changing rings when your financial stability improved. Sounds like your fiance really tried to make you happy, and it was his money to spend how he wanted.

As to what others think and say about the ring, who cares? An eyeroll is a sufficient response there. As you get older you will see how much other people's thoughts matter on your purchases (hint : not at all)

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that if you do return this ring, you could probably get something nearly twice as big in the setting you do like for the same $ (at a PS vendor instead of Tiffany) :razz:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that if you do return this ring, you could probably get something nearly twice as big in the setting you do like for the same $ (at a PS vendor instead of Tiffany) :razz:

How rude!:lol::cheeky::bigsmile:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking a step back, it sounds like you had a chance to change your setting, and this is what you chose. So there must have been something you liked about this ring in the first place. I am not a halo fan, but as halos go this is a very well made, balanced looking halo. What I mean by that is that you don't see a lot of metal, and the sizes of the melee are proportional to the center stone. And I know all Tiffany stones have high clarity, color specs. I would only trade it in, sell it if with that money you could get a ring that you were 100% happy with. That's just my opinion.

Taking a bigger step back, your fiancé spent his blood sweat and tears money on something that he wants to bring a smile to his face, and to seal your relationship. Most women would kill for your ring. My opinion; is enjoy the ring. Think about the reason why you have a ring on your hand, which also happend to be nicer than 99% of the rings out there. And yes save for a larger ring or a RHR but remember it's all gravy.

If I was in your place I would save money for another ring that was distinctively designer looking (like the etoile) but not necessarily an e-ring style. Just something because you enjoy that designer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When it comes time to upgrade, you will have had plenty of time to think it through. Many here do choose a larger superideal cut diamond in a fine quality setting (equal to Tiffany, etc. or better), and then the wedding band can be branded. In fact, I have the Tiffany Legacy band and others here have other Tiffany or Cartier brands. A large diamond generally will be more noticed than a branded smaller one. My studs and e-ring are not branded by Tiffany, etc, but they are top cut quality which is actually above the brand name stores, believe it or not. Many here share your love for iconic branded pieces such as VCA Alhambra, Cartier Trinity and Love, etc. I do pay for a few of those because they are unique and classics. But a diamond is a diamond, and I can get top quality in a larger size by going outside of T/VCA/C, etc. I really wouldn't do the Tiffany upgrade unless there is a ring there you love. You'd do better selling the one you have an going to a superideal vendor to buy the larger diamond. Just some things to think about for future reference if you ever do decide to get another ring. I do think your ring is gorgeous, and certainly I would be proud to own it. I am not at all saying I think it was a mistake. But MANY of us have changed our rings, some multiple times. Here's hoping you have a hubby who is supportive of your wishes! Mine didn't want me to sell my original, so I still have it, but he was fine with buying me new rings for an anniversary years later.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
This cracked me up :D But the OP shouldn't need to say anything, those comments/questions people are offering up to her are straight up rude. Saying anything that's not along the lines of "wow!" "that's beautiful!" or "congratulations!" on anyone's engagement ring is in poor taste imho.

I do think the construction of the Soleste is much nicer and more structurally sound than the "bobblehead" design. I'm not sure about using an ultrasonic on it though b/c of the pave.

OP - the next time someone makes a rude comment to you, just shut them down with a long look so they can realize their impoliteness and keep on talking or doing whatever you were doing. :mrgreen2:

Enjoy your ring and, more importantly, your engagement.

Second the above.
People will always formulate opinions; but in direct interaction, they need diplomacy as well - and if they don't have it, they come across as boorish.
Anyone in your social circle who tells you this is "generic" and "over-priced" to your face is in need of a sizable portion of "Cold Look" from you. Yes, the haughty kind. This is the only kind such people will understand.

FACT: Your ring is very, very beautiful. Not necessarily because "Hello! Tiffany!!" but because Tiffany actually took the trouble to apply craftsmanship and make something detectably more beautiful than a similar, generic ring. But I am probably more into the "objective side of life" than many posters here. :)

It's just a very beautiful ring. Enjoy!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP I think that you have gotten some great advice here, but I will say that you really do not seem that thrilled with the ring, although it is a gorgeous ring!
If you are within the 30 day return period, I would probably push very hard to have an exchange done. I can see how in the moment and when under pressure you made the decision of going with the Soleste ring design instead of your preferred Schlumberger. I and I am sure others have acted in a similar way when under pressure, so don’t beat yourself over that, but you should love your ring, not have doubts about it and not just wait for the day when you will change it. You are engaged now, this should be a happy time, not a sad/doubtful time.
Speak with the manager and if needed his/her manager. If you can clean and polish the ring, that would be ideal so it looks to be in a perfectly salebale condition. Last resort and this will sound a little shady :twisted2: (sorry guys) but in the worst case scenario if they refuse to work with you, Tiffany has a broken engagement policy, perhaps your fiancé can say that you were so upset over the ring that you called it quits :lol-2: they will most likely give him a refund and then you can go and get the ring of your dreams.
Last comment and this is more so for you and you fiancé, if the design that you really want is out of his budget, perhaps you can chime in a little as well? I realize that many people are very sentimental and traditional when it comes to the e-ring purchase, but just something to think about. Perhaps he will be less opposed to you changing it if it doesn’t mean that he alone needs to spend the upgrade amount.
Good luck to you!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring looks gorgeous on your hand. I see you have short nails (as do I); but I’d still treat myself to a really nice manicure with a totally classic red polish - wow! Your ring will pop even more!!! Of course, IF you can get your money back, go ahead and start over. I don’t know who the hell these people are who are criticizing your ring! Sheesh! What part of the country are you in? People wear really huge rings or what?
IDK if this next bit will be helpful to you, but earlier this year my 7 ctw tennis bracelet fell off. Insurance covered it and I knew I’d do well going to IDJ for a replacement, so I did. However, for our anniversary a couple months ago DH surprised me by walking into Tiffany and telling me to choose myself a gift. Kinda under pressure like you! Now, I could have chosen something fun in silver and called it a day, but he seemed SO darn excited about his surprise and having a little speech about how much I do for him etc, that I ended up getting the Embrace band for north of $7K. Imagine if I’d spent that at IDJ - it would be a much bigger ring. But - he wanted that experience and I got onto the moment. I wear the ring daily. No one KNOWS it’s branded, right?!
Now that I’ve reread that I’m not totally sure what my point is; but, like others said - you must have liked it enough to choose it, right?! Are these naysayers making you doubt yourself????? It’s classy and classic and looks great on you! Let us know how everything works out.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your Engagement!

I am sorry that people in your circle are making you have doubts about the ring that you chose and adding salt to the wound left by a wishlist and budget that didn't mesh. Often times when people behave this way it is more out of jealousy than actual concern for "your wallet". You have a very beautiful ring that looks fantastic on your finger. Your SO sounds like he wants for you to be happy since he took you back for an exchange. Unfortunately, your dream ring was out of reach at this time.

Please don't take this the wrong way, the Schlumberger rings are beautiful, but to me your ring is a more classic and timeless engagement ring. I think that over time the "statement" feel of the other setting might grow to be a thorn for you. It would certainly limit what type of band that you would be able to wear with it and will quickly start to feel dated. With your current ER, you can have fun and get creative with the bands that you wear with it. Check out some stack threads on SMTB, you can find some incredibly gifted jewelers that make stackable bands that are certainly one of a kind and will get noticed.

If you absolutely hate your current ring, then I suggest trying to get a refund so that you can start fresh with no pressure to choose on the spot. But if your second thoughts have grown out of the comments made by others, please don't let them rain on your parade. You have a great guy, an amazing ring and a wedding to plan. Statement or RHR's can always be added down the road for anniversaries, b-days, babies and just because.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also for fun, here are the profile views of "the exact same ring you could have gotten for so much cheaper" LOL
yours:
soleste.JPG
a big, popular online retailer (looks like the head would snap off if you sneezed too hard)
solesteko.JPG
another popular online spot. CLUNKY!
bn.JPG

Haha or look at the Leon meges et al of the world.

OP I am not saying don’t go Tiffany’s, I’m just saying this is going out of its way to pick the worst things out there. Lots of fine designers out there, you don’t have to be blatantly misleading. Tiffany’s can stand on its own without posting it next to poor quality.

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium

OP I am not saying don’t go Tiffany’s, I’m just saying this is going out of its way to pick the worst things out there. Lots of fine designers out there, you don’t have to be blatantly misleading. Tiffany’s can stand on its own without posting it next to poor quality.

Of course Leon and others do amazing work, but often people (outside of pricescope) say why didnt you just go to Blue Nile or James Allen... and there you go. Thats why. The settings are similar but NOT comparable to Tiffany in craftsmanship. I didnt pick overstock.com dogs or something- those are two very popular online retailers outside the pricescope world.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well I happen to love the generic Tiffany rings and there's so much you can do with it via wedding and eternity rings. There's too much emphasis on getting perfection these days where formerly it was understood that you'd be changing rings when your financial stability improved. Sounds like your fiance really tried to make you happy, and it was his money to spend how he wanted.

As to what others think and say about the ring, who cares? An eyeroll is a sufficient response there. As you get older you will see how much other people's thoughts matter on your purchases (hint : not at all)

You're absolutely right! It's a starter ring and quite a nice one to boot. I think I just need to learn how to ignore all of the negative comments and move on! Thanks for the advice!

I am curious if folks on here could help me with this if I choose to get rid of my e-ring. If I sell the e-ring at a loss, I am curious about how much and if I could get something better.
I'd also be happy with purchasing a used diamond ring etc. I'm not sure how I might go about doing that.
If you have any suggestions, I'd be really happy to hear them! Thanks again for all of your insights!

Taking a step back, it sounds like you had a chance to change your setting, and this is what you chose. So there must have been something you liked about this ring in the first place. I am not a halo fan, but as halos go this is a very well made, balanced looking halo. What I mean by that is that you don't see a lot of metal, and the sizes of the melee are proportional to the center stone. And I know all Tiffany stones have high clarity, color specs. I would only trade it in, sell it if with that money you could get a ring that you were 100% happy with. That's just my opinion.

Taking a bigger step back, your fiancé spent his blood sweat and tears money on something that he wants to bring a smile to his face, and to seal your relationship. Most women would kill for your ring. My opinion; is enjoy the ring. Think about the reason why you have a ring on your hand, which also happend to be nicer than 99% of the rings out there. And yes save for a larger ring or a RHR but remember it's all gravy.

If I was in your place I would save money for another ring that was distinctively designer looking (like the etoile) but not necessarily an e-ring style. Just something because you enjoy that designer.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write your opinion on here!
I really appreciate all the insights. I think I'll try and save for another nice ring. I'm pretty much done with designer rings unless it's something absolutely impossible to replicate :) My experiences have definitely been enlightening for me.

When it comes time to upgrade, you will have had plenty of time to think it through. Many here do choose a larger superideal cut diamond in a fine quality setting (equal to Tiffany, etc. or better), and then the wedding band can be branded. In fact, I have the Tiffany Legacy band and others here have other Tiffany or Cartier brands. A large diamond generally will be more noticed than a branded smaller one. My studs and e-ring are not branded by Tiffany, etc, but they are top cut quality which is actually above the brand name stores, believe it or not. Many here share your love for iconic branded pieces such as VCA Alhambra, Cartier Trinity and Love, etc. I do pay for a few of those because they are unique and classics. But a diamond is a diamond, and I can get top quality in a larger size by going outside of T/VCA/C, etc. I really wouldn't do the Tiffany upgrade unless there is a ring there you love. You'd do better selling the one you have an going to a superideal vendor to buy the larger diamond. Just some things to think about for future reference if you ever do decide to get another ring. I do think your ring is gorgeous, and certainly I would be proud to own it. I am not at all saying I think it was a mistake. But MANY of us have changed our rings, some multiple times. Here's hoping you have a hubby who is supportive of your wishes! Mine didn't want me to sell my original, so I still have it, but he was fine with buying me new rings for an anniversary years later.

I think you're absolutely right. I was considering the upgrade, but for the extra 20k, I have a feeling I'd be able to get a much nicer diamond ring etc.
It's good to know that there are other folks on this forum that have a passion for beautiful jewels!
What type of rings have you purchased since your e-ring?
Do you think there's a chance I could get a used ring for less costs?
Thanks for your kind words and inspirational suggestions!

Second the above.
People will always formulate opinions; but in direct interaction, they need diplomacy as well - and if they don't have it, they come across as boorish.
Anyone in your social circle who tells you this is "generic" and "over-priced" to your face is in need of a sizable portion of "Cold Look" from you. Yes, the haughty kind. This is the only kind such people will understand.

FACT: Your ring is very, very beautiful. Not necessarily because "Hello! Tiffany!!" but because Tiffany actually took the trouble to apply craftsmanship and make something detectably more beautiful than a similar, generic ring. But I am probably more into the "objective side of life" than many posters here. :)

It's just a very beautiful ring. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your confidence boosting comments! Your perceptions on Tiffany's is very helpful to me in understanding what I've got. It's very difficult as my parents absolutely adore quality jewels and they were extremely upset over my FI's choice and always take the chance to remind me of their displeasure.

It's hard sometimes to see things objectively, so thanks to folks like yourself, I get to see things from the eyes of others!

OP I think that you have gotten some great advice here, but I will say that you really do not seem that thrilled with the ring, although it is a gorgeous ring!
If you are within the 30 day return period, I would probably push very hard to have an exchange done. I can see how in the moment and when under pressure you made the decision of going with the Soleste ring design instead of your preferred Schlumberger. I and I am sure others have acted in a similar way when under pressure, so don’t beat yourself over that, but you should love your ring, not have doubts about it and not just wait for the day when you will change it. You are engaged now, this should be a happy time, not a sad/doubtful time.
Speak with the manager and if needed his/her manager. If you can clean and polish the ring, that would be ideal so it looks to be in a perfectly salebale condition. Last resort and this will sound a little shady :twisted2: (sorry guys) but in the worst case scenario if they refuse to work with you, Tiffany has a broken engagement policy, perhaps your fiancé can say that you were so upset over the ring that you called it quits :lol-2: they will most likely give him a refund and then you can go and get the ring of your dreams.
Last comment and this is more so for you and you fiancé, if the design that you really want is out of his budget, perhaps you can chime in a little as well? I realize that many people are very sentimental and traditional when it comes to the e-ring purchase, but just something to think about. Perhaps he will be less opposed to you changing it if it doesn’t mean that he alone needs to spend the upgrade amount.
Good luck to you!

You are absolutely correct! I absolutely had no problem paying for some of the costs of the ring. He just wouldn't agree to it. So, I tried! :razz:
I called Tiffany's customer service. They weren't exactly pleasant on the phone with me. They did say that because it was sized and worn, they said it was non-refundable.
I asked about the broken engagement clause, and they said no for the same reason.
I'll be curious if others on this forum have had different experiences. I tried talking to my SA about things, and he hasn't really responded.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Your ideas have been helpful and motivating for me!

I think your ring looks gorgeous on your hand. I see you have short nails (as do I); but I’d still treat myself to a really nice manicure with a totally classic red polish - wow! Your ring will pop even more!!! Of course, IF you can get your money back, go ahead and start over. I don’t know who the hell these people are who are criticizing your ring! Sheesh! What part of the country are you in? People wear really huge rings or what?
IDK if this next bit will be helpful to you, but earlier this year my 7 ctw tennis bracelet fell off. Insurance covered it and I knew I’d do well going to IDJ for a replacement, so I did. However, for our anniversary a couple months ago DH surprised me by walking into Tiffany and telling me to choose myself a gift. Kinda under pressure like you! Now, I could have chosen something fun in silver and called it a day, but he seemed SO darn excited about his surprise and having a little speech about how much I do for him etc, that I ended up getting the Embrace band for north of $7K. Imagine if I’d spent that at IDJ - it would be a much bigger ring. But - he wanted that experience and I got onto the moment. I wear the ring daily. No one KNOWS it’s branded, right?!
Now that I’ve reread that I’m not totally sure what my point is; but, like others said - you must have liked it enough to choose it, right?! Are these naysayers making you doubt yourself????? It’s classy and classic and looks great on you! Let us know how everything works out.

I love your comment about the red polish to add some pizzazz! That made me smile!
Your story is extremely helpful for me! I really appreciate you sharing that personal moment on here with me to help me understand what I am going through. I completely understood your point and I'm grateful to have folks like you share your experiences with me.
Thanks very much for your kind compliment! I appreciate it!

Congratulations on your Engagement!

I am sorry that people in your circle are making you have doubts about the ring that you chose and adding salt to the wound left by a wishlist and budget that didn't mesh. Often times when people behave this way it is more out of jealousy than actual concern for "your wallet". You have a very beautiful ring that looks fantastic on your finger. Your SO sounds like he wants for you to be happy since he took you back for an exchange. Unfortunately, your dream ring was out of reach at this time.

Please don't take this the wrong way, the Schlumberger rings are beautiful, but to me your ring is a more classic and timeless engagement ring. I think that over time the "statement" feel of the other setting might grow to be a thorn for you. It would certainly limit what type of band that you would be able to wear with it and will quickly start to feel dated. With your current ER, you can have fun and get creative with the bands that you wear with it. Check out some stack threads on SMTB, you can find some incredibly gifted jewelers that make stackable bands that are certainly one of a kind and will get noticed.

If you absolutely hate your current ring, then I suggest trying to get a refund so that you can start fresh with no pressure to choose on the spot. But if your second thoughts have grown out of the comments made by others, please don't let them rain on your parade. You have a great guy, an amazing ring and a wedding to plan. Statement or RHR's can always be added down the road for anniversaries, b-days, babies and just because.

Yes! Your comments are absolutely true. I recognize that the Schlumberger would be fun, but perhaps doesn't have as much timeless and subtle appeal. I did consider that as well. And, I'm already looking for some stacking threads to get some ideas! If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them! I'd love to get more ideas.

I tried to inquire about the refund process. I think the only thing I can do is be a bit sneaky and talk about the 'broken engagement' policy. However, I don't know how much I'd get for the ring and if it's just better to re-sell it instead.

RHR's will be the way to go in the future. I'm going to post some questions about how much I might be looking at to get an epic RHR :)

I think it was helpful to make me feel better :)
Thanks for your post though. I appreciate your honesty and consideration regarding the quality of other great designers and Tiffany's quality :)

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Of course Leon and others do amazing work, but often people (outside of pricescope) say why didnt you just go to Blue Nile or James Allen... and there you go. Thats why. The settings are similar but NOT comparable to Tiffany in craftsmanship. I didnt pick overstock.com dogs or something- those are two very popular online retailers outside the pricescope world.

As always, thanks for your consideration and effort in helping me understand my options and understand what I have. You have been very helpful and I appreciate what you have done to help me recognize quality differences.
I might tap you on the shoulder for help with getting my dream ring :D

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As always, thanks for your consideration and effort in helping me understand my options and understand what I have. You have been very helpful and I appreciate what you have done to help me recognize quality differences.
I might tap you on the shoulder for help with getting my dream ring :D

Its my pleasure. Tiffany problems are the best problems lol!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert on resale value of T&C rings. For my non-branded ring, I was able to get about 74% of what I paid in credit to purchase my new ring. My guess is you would get a higher percentage. I hope you can either return it for full cash back or that you fall in love with your ring afterall. If you are able to return or sell it, let us know what your budget is and what you're looking for :)

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert on resale value of T&C rings. For my non-branded ring, I was able to get about 74% of what I paid in credit to purchase my new ring. My guess is you would get a higher percentage. I hope you can either return it for full cash back or that you fall in love with your ring afterall. If you are able to return or sell it, let us know what your budget is and what you're looking for :)

Thanks very much for sharing your own experience with me! It's great to hear success stories from others on the resale side of things!
I suspect I'll definitely try and either resell this ring or get a new RHR very soon.
Tiffany's customer service isn't exactly wonderful.
The SA I worked with isn't really helping me now that the deal is done.

My budget is around 5 - 6 k right now.
I'd love to get a larger, nicer stone....I'm not sure if my budget will provide for anything larger than 1.4 ct and vs2 clarity, H color, excellent cut etc.

If that's a possibility I'd love to get something very soon.
Thanks!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tfc_diamondlvr I am sorry that T&Co isn't being cooperative and stating the "resize" as the reason that you can't return/exchange the ring. I am sorry but that that is just crazy. if they had your correct size in stock or custom ordered a ring for you, then you wouldn't have had the need to resize. Perhaps, it is worth it trying to call other stores and see what they will say regarding their policies. I feel that your SA and current store isn't being helpful and does not care much for your client satisfaction.

So I have been thinking about your case this am:) I would hate for you to sell and lose money on your brand new and pretty gorgeous ring. I know that many, including myself, would forgo the Tiffany name and go for something "bigger" and/or super-ideal, but you seem to love the brand and want it your ring to be recognizable and I completely understand and sympathize with that. For that reason, my recommendation is to not sell the ring on the secondary market, at least not right now, you will just lose money on it. Here are my suggestions for you:

1. Keep the existing ring and get a very recognizable Tiffany/Cartier/Van Cleef band - I do think that your ring is gorgeous and maybe it's the thought that it needs to be something different that is preventing you from loving it and seeing a future with it. Go and try on some different bands and see if you start liking it more.

2. Reset your center stone into a classic Tiffany solitaire or your beloved Schlumberger setting and set an aquamarine/tanzanite/sapphire into the Soleste setting. You will get the e-ring that you want and a right hand ring! That is a win-win.

3. Keep the ring and just start saving for an upgrade. Tiffany does have a 2x the value upgrade policy. I, for example considered that I will need to wait for a while to upgrade because my husband does not like spending money on diamonds (lol he had no idea who he married :lol-2:) however, I upgraded 3x in the past year, so you never know when will be the "right time" for an upgrade.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are under 30 days can’t you get a refund?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very difficult as my parents absolutely adore quality jewels and they were extremely upset over my FI's choice and always take the chance to remind me of their displeasure.

Ok, I know this is not what you are asking about at all, and this may cross a line, but I have to say HOLD ON HERE! Unless there is some cultural thing going on here, this is MASSIVELY inappropriate, and you might do well to stand up to your parents in defense of your future husband right now in order to avoid problems down the road. They really don't have any business having an opinion on how your FI spends his money, the gifts he is generous enough to give you and whether or not they are "good enough," his life choices in general, or yours as a married couple if I am being totally honest. If you are happy with him, marry him. If you are not, don't. And if you can't set a boundary with your parents now, you are going to have lots of relationship strain going forward (if you are not already). It does take some growing up to stand up to one's parents and not let their opinions dominate yours. I would say that you received a GORGEOUS ring that many women would love to have, from a place that places significant markup for the cachet and quality of the brand (and as a fellow Canadian, I know how much Canadian Tiffany's and other US designer boutiques mark up here compared to US prices - that is a $$$ ring). Plus, having returned the first ring already and had Tiffany's replace it with the one you chose, I don't think they are obligated in any way anymore to do this a second time just because you are second guessing your choice.

From what you've said, I think you probably liked this second ring when you chose it (or you wouldn't have chosen it). I get that it's not your dream, but it sounds like your dream was more than your FI could spend. And I think you're doubting yourself now under pressure from your parents. I suspect your FI is probably pretty upset right now. After all, you've already returned the ring he bought you, and now you want to do it a second time because other people have made you second guess yourself on something that is both private between the two of you as a couple and personal. It's unfortunate that it sounds like he couldn't afford what you wanted. Do you really want to shame him for that? Is the ring more important than his feelings at this point?

You seem like you are very happy to be engaged to your FI. Maybe focus on that and less on what other people think.

ETA: I don't mean to sound harsh. But having been married a LONG time, I'm just speaking from the heart and from experience. Marriage means that you and your FI become the only two people whose opinions count in any major life decisions that you make as a couple. If you invite other people into those decisions, it will cause strain between you and FI. Maybe try to imagine if his parents were so rejecting of a large and expensive gift that you gave him (that meant a lot to you and symbolized your love for him) - and his reaction was to want to change it to something more 'acceptable.' I think you'd feel hurt, embarrassed, and rejected (I know I would). I don't think this is what you intend, but sometimes we get so caught up in the details that we forget to see the big picture.

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are under 30 days can’t you get a refund?

I think it's because it's the second ring. She and FI have already returned one ring and she picked this one as a replacement.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, I know this is not what you are asking about at all, and this may cross a line, but I have to say HOLD ON HERE! Unless there is some cultural thing going on here, this is MASSIVELY inappropriate, and you might do well to stand up to your parents in defense of your future husband right now in order to avoid problems down the road. They really don't have any business having an opinion on how your FI spends his money, the gifts he is generous enough to give you and whether or not they are "good enough," his life choices in general, or yours as a married couple if I am being totally honest. If you are happy with him, marry him. If you are not, don't. And if you can't set a boundary with your parents now, you are going to have lots of relationship strain going forward (if you are not already). It does take some growing up to stand up to one's parents and not let their opinions dominate yours. I would say that you received a GORGEOUS ring that many women would love to have, from a place that places significant markup for the cachet and quality of the brand (and as a fellow Canadian, I know how much Canadian Tiffany's and other US designer boutiques mark up here compared to US prices - that is a $$$ ring). Plus, having returned the first ring already and had Tiffany's replace it with the one you chose, I don't think they are obligated in any way anymore to do this a second time just because you are second guessing your choice.

From what you've said, I think you probably liked this second ring when you chose it (or you wouldn't have chosen it). I get that it's not your dream, but it sounds like your dream was more than your FI could spend. And I think you're doubting yourself now under pressure from your parents. I suspect your FI is probably pretty upset right now. After all, you've already returned the ring he bought you, and now you want to do it a second time because other people have made you second guess yourself on something that is both private between the two of you as a couple and personal. It's unfortunate that it sounds like he couldn't afford what you wanted. Do you really want to shame him for that? Is the ring more important than his feelings at this point?

You seem like you are very happy to be engaged to your FI. Maybe focus on that and less on what other people think.

ETA: I don't mean to sound harsh. But having been married a LONG time, I'm just speaking from the heart and from experience. Marriage means that you and your FI become the only two people whose opinions count in any major life decisions that you make as a couple. If you invite other people into those decisions, it will cause strain between you and FI. Maybe try to imagine if his parents were so rejecting of a large and expensive gift that you gave him (that meant a lot to you and symbolized your love for him) - and his reaction was to want to change it to something more 'acceptable.' I think you'd feel hurt, embarrassed, and rejected (I know I would). I don't think this is what you intend, but sometimes we get so caught up in the details that we forget to see the big picture.

Thank you very much for writing such a heartfelt and honest response to my situation!
I absolutely agree with your statements about not letting others dictate our life choices! I think that's certainly an important factor in achieving a balanced and fulfilling marriage!

I think the folks on here have been so helpful because despite the fact that I'm happy to be with my FI, the multiple comments about my ring started getting me to question everything about that ring. As someone who doesn't have anywhere near the expertise and experience as the folks on here do, I couldn't really understand or discern any differences in my ring compared to the criticisms received. I suppose things just got so confusing and I started to feel pretty down about this lovely piece of jewelry that I stare at daily :(2

At a certain point, I figured folks on here could help me make the best determination about what to do to move forward in a sensible way. I know if everyone on here advised I sell and try again, I would absolutely try and do it.

Again, your wise words are helpful and kind. Thanks very much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results