shape
carat
color
clarity

FI bought a generic looking Tiffany's ring...what are my options now?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tfc_diamondlvr I am not sure if Tiffany keeps track if a particular ring has been resized, but another option that you can try in order to return the ring is to take it back to the original store and ask for it to be sized again in the original size as well as polished. Take your receipt and the ring to a different store and try to return it there. Obviously, don't share your intentions with the SA. The T&Co.'s return policy is very clear: "Articles are accepted for credit or exchange in the U.S. if returned in saleable condition within 30 days, accompanied by a sales receipt." http://www.tiffany.com/Service/policy_ret.aspx?mysid2=3a So a return within 30 days should be accepted.
I just remembered that friend of mine was given the Soleste double halo with pink diamonds, she wore it for a few weeks and actually ended up hating the platinum. I am pretty sure that she had the ring sizes as well. She and her FI were able to return it. If you are/look young SAs might give you hard time, bring someone else who is demanding and can get you a refund (someone like your mom/dad maybe?)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was the exact date of sale? I would DEFINITELY try to return in that window if it's 30 days. But again, is your fiancee involved in this? Is he ok with it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You asked me: "I think you're absolutely right. I was considering the upgrade, but for the extra 20k, I have a feeling I'd be able to get a much nicer diamond ring etc.
It's good to know that there are other folks on this forum that have a passion for beautiful jewels!
What type of rings have you purchased since your e-ring?
Do you think there's a chance I could get a used ring for less costs?
Thanks for your kind words and inspirational suggestions!"

You are so kind and open to ideas. I am glad you realize we are just trying to help you make the best of a difficult situation! I am glad you are considering going non-branded for the next diamond engagement ring. Because you can meet your parents' quality ideas (hopefully) and get a larger stone. As has been said, you can use someone like Victor Canera for the setting and have the highest quality diamond and setting. We love beautiful, fine quality jewels around here, and it's a very fun place to be with fellow jewelry lovers! But for most of us, it takes time and patience to build a collection, and many of us have already gone through raising children before doing significant upgrades. So just keep that in mind!

Yes, there are many collectors on this forum and they often sell pieces to buy something else, so it is definitely a possibility to buy a second hand ring or diamond from people here or you can look at Jewels by Grace and Love Affair Diamonds for consignment items. There is a forum on the PS site called Pre-loved, and you'll see all kinds of jewelry listed there (with external links to buy). I would say the favorites of the regulars here are either antique diamonds (or newly cut antique style diamonds) and top cut quality ideal cut rounds (often called superideal cuts, and those can usually be upgraded if you buy from the vendor).

Here are three rings that I have gotten after my upgraded e-ring. All rings were made by Caysie van Bebber (CvB Inspired Design). The advantage to going custom is that you often can have a one-of-a-kind ring that no one else has (but there's no guarantee that someone else won't want the same ring made because they like it!). Incidentally, the first two rings are based on antique Tiffany rings!!! But let me say this...you have a lifetime to collect jewelry. I wore a 1 ct diamond engagement ring for MANY years until I ended up with the one in my avatar picture. I have an Alhambra gold bracelet and a Cartier watch, etc. But I did not have these things during the early years of marriage. It is fun to collect over time, but I do understand the desire to get the e-ring right!

451651-b42517bc3c89db5f68375fec854f0935.jpg

433012-0b54a07bee99ae3cef2c39cf070ea10b.jpg

556418-1deca884d99839c36edc09b4f3a65e09.jpg

554667-9abdb8fbcae812f4fd5c846cd66dee2b.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more question. What do your parents consider to be a high quality ring? Are they after brand, high color and clarity, or do they even know about cut quality...which is the most important factor in the beauty of a diamond?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was the exact date of sale? I would DEFINITELY try to return in that window if it's 30 days. But again, is your fiancee involved in this? Is he ok with it?

OP already exchanged the ring once, so her FI will probably get over it if she returns it. She really doesn’t seem to like the ring. I remember that my first e-ring was not what I wanted at the time, but I didn’t even look for a new ring within weeks!

OP, please try to be more aggressive on the return before you start spending more money. Try leftover budget won’t get you the ring of your dreams and you will end up just not liking 2 rings, spending a large amount of money and still drooling over your favorite brand designs.

I am not sure what the laws are in CA, but in the U.S. we have consumer protection, many stores will not want to deal with you and just give you a refund if you start mentioning legal action.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are beyond the 30 days.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@tfc_diamondlvr I am not sure if Tiffany keeps track if a particular ring has been resized, but another option that you can try in order to return the ring is to take it back to the original store and ask for it to be sized again in the original size as well as polished. Take your receipt and the ring to a different store and try to return it there. Obviously, don't share your intentions with the SA. The T&Co.'s return policy is very clear: "Articles are accepted for credit or exchange in the U.S. if returned in saleable condition within 30 days, accompanied by a sales receipt." http://www.tiffany.com/Service/policy_ret.aspx?mysid2=3a So a return within 30 days should be accepted.
I just remembered that friend of mine was given the Soleste double halo with pink diamonds, she wore it for a few weeks and actually ended up hating the platinum. I am pretty sure that she had the ring sizes as well. She and her FI were able to return it. If you are/look young SAs might give you hard time, bring someone else who is demanding and can get you a refund (someone like your mom/dad maybe?)

You are such an awesome person for helping me out and giving me another strategy to ponder. I honestly wouldn't have even thought about that option at all! My goodness, I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to talk to such wise people like yourself on this forum.
I will certainly see if I can perhaps do something like that! I'll keep everyone updated!!
The problem is that I know it'll take about 1 week to resize. Also: if it's the whole 'buff and polish' option where they take out the scratches, then I think it costs $50 and takes 1 month! But, I think if they resize the ring they'll probably try to buff out the scratches.
Wow, such a cool idea! Thanks very much!

My fiancee doesn't know yet. I want to make sure things can be a go before I bring him in. I don't want to tell him potential options if there's no concrete answer. He doesn't like that type of posturing on a subject.

The date of the sale was the friday before our thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. So, around mid October. That might be a sticking point for me then.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the sticking point sounds like the fact that you’re not within the 30 days. Will they still allow returns? Maybe you can call a different Tiffany store up and ask them if they would refund it in this timeframe if it’s in saleable condition?

If I personally was in the same situation, I’d take it to a jeweler i trust that can get it resized and can polish out all scratches within 1-2 days (assuming you were rushing to be in a certain timeframe). Assuming the jeweler does good/average work, I personally feel like resizing doesn’t show(am I mistaken?) and polishing is easy cause I’ve had rings that were polished and they were like new, not a single hairline scratch.

I don’t think you can really make sure things are a go until a Tiffany store sees and approves the ring for a refund, so it might be best to prepare your fiancé.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You asked me: "I think you're absolutely right. I was considering the upgrade, but for the extra 20k, I have a feeling I'd be able to get a much nicer diamond ring etc.
It's good to know that there are other folks on this forum that have a passion for beautiful jewels!
What type of rings have you purchased since your e-ring?
Do you think there's a chance I could get a used ring for less costs?
Thanks for your kind words and inspirational suggestions!"

You are so kind and open to ideas. I am glad you realize we are just trying to help you make the best of a difficult situation! I am glad you are considering going non-branded for the next diamond engagement ring. Because you can meet your parents' quality ideas (hopefully) and get a larger stone. As has been said, you can use someone like Victor Canera for the setting and have the highest quality diamond and setting. We love beautiful, fine quality jewels around here, and it's a very fun place to be with fellow jewelry lovers! But for most of us, it takes time and patience to build a collection, and many of us have already gone through raising children before doing significant upgrades. So just keep that in mind!

Yes, there are many collectors on this forum and they often sell pieces to buy something else, so it is definitely a possibility to buy a second hand ring or diamond from people here or you can look at Jewels by Grace and Love Affair Diamonds for consignment items. There is a forum on the PS site called Pre-loved, and you'll see all kinds of jewelry listed there (with external links to buy). I would say the favorites of the regulars here are either antique diamonds (or newly cut antique style diamonds) and top cut quality ideal cut rounds (often called superideal cuts, and those can usually be upgraded if you buy from the vendor).

Here are three rings that I have gotten after my upgraded e-ring. All rings were made by Caysie van Bebber (CvB Inspired Design). The advantage to going custom is that you often can have a one-of-a-kind ring that no one else has (but there's no guarantee that someone else won't want the same ring made because they like it!). Incidentally, the first two rings are based on antique Tiffany rings!!! But let me say this...you have a lifetime to collect jewelry. I wore a 1 ct diamond engagement ring for MANY years until I ended up with the one in my avatar picture. I have an Alhambra gold bracelet and a Cartier watch, etc. But I did not have these things during the early years of marriage. It is fun to collect over time, but I do understand the desire to get the e-ring right!

451651-b42517bc3c89db5f68375fec854f0935.jpg

433012-0b54a07bee99ae3cef2c39cf070ea10b.jpg

556418-1deca884d99839c36edc09b4f3a65e09.jpg

554667-9abdb8fbcae812f4fd5c846cd66dee2b.jpg

You have an amazing collection of gorgeous rings to be extremely proud of! I can only hope that one day I too shall have the opportunity to own lovely pieces of art as you do.
I will be posting a little catch all thank you to everyone on this forum shortly. I cannot believe how wonderful and supportive everyone has been on here. I feel very welcomed as a newbie! I definitely like learning, evolving and exposing myself to a variety of different opinions and ideas. I never believe in clinging to one mentality if there are others out there that are equally valid. I think this forum has certainly helped and will continue to help change my perspectives on jewelry etc.

I agree that accumulation will take time. I think patience is a virtue I need to continue to practice in my life :lol-2: I'm always rushing to get things done right, so sometimes I just need to sit and wait it out for the right thing to come along!

You advice is invaluable and any chance for me to see the fruits of your labour with those gorgeous rings I count myself lucky!
Thanks for writing your thoughts down in such a considerate manner. I very much appreciate it.

One more question. What do your parents consider to be a high quality ring? Are they after brand, high color and clarity, or do they even know about cut quality...which is the most important factor in the beauty of a diamond?

My parents I suppose mainly center on those 4Cs = the bigger and higher on each of the 4C scales you are the better. They know a bit about table depth etc, but not enough to speak about percentage preferences. I don't think they know anything about the HOA system.
And they certainly have never heard of OEC etc :D

OP already exchanged the ring once, so her FI will probably get over it if she returns it. She really doesn’t seem to like the ring. I remember that my first e-ring was not what I wanted at the time, but I didn’t even look for a new ring within weeks!

OP, please try to be more aggressive on the return before you start spending more money. Try leftover budget won’t get you the ring of your dreams and you will end up just not liking 2 rings, spending a large amount of money and still drooling over your favorite brand designs.

I am not sure what the laws are in CA, but in the U.S. we have consumer protection, many stores will not want to deal with you and just give you a refund if you start mentioning legal action.

Honestly, your thoughtfulness and consideration genuinely touches my heart! I can't tell you how thankful I am to have such a knowledgeable and confident person like yourself in my corner! Your words give me tons of confidence to at least try and fight the good fight.

My SA is extremely slimy. I can't even write on here the things he's said to me, but let's just say it goes into inappropriate territory! So, I suspect despite the fact that he'd 'love' to help me out, he's giving me the runaround too. Perhaps I should bring my parents in to fight stuff out.

I think they are beyond the 30 days.

Sadly, I wonder because we exchanged once, that counts as still part of the same ring. I don't know why that would be the case since it's a brand new ring that we didn't see. It's almost like we ordered a new ring kwim?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are such an awesome person for helping me out and giving me another strategy to ponder. I honestly wouldn't have even thought about that option at all! My goodness, I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to talk to such wise people like yourself on this forum.
I will certainly see if I can perhaps do something like that! I'll keep everyone updated!!
The problem is that I know it'll take about 1 week to resize. Also: if it's the whole 'buff and polish' option where they take out the scratches, then I think it costs $50 and takes 1 month! But, I think if they resize the ring they'll probably try to buff out the scratches.
Wow, such a cool idea! Thanks very much!

Glad to help if I can! It is crazy that their resize & “buff and polish” service can take up to a month! This can literally be done in hours, but I understand that they probably need to ship the merchandise.
$50 is a small price to pay for gaining the ability to potentially return/exchange the ring. I was reading more online and it seems as to T&Co. may be strict with their return policy but more relaxed with their exchange policy. In any case, I think that resizing and polishing the ring will be helpful. If I remember correctly, T&Co lists the size on the shank of the ring, so they would want that to match for return/exchange purposes. I think that if you can at least exchange it for the Schlumberger design, you will be content. I know that your FI had the best intentions, but he really should have listened to you on that one.
It’s ok thought, we live and learn. I will be eagerly looking for an update! Be aggressive lol

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the sticking point sounds like the fact that you’re not within the 30 days. Will they still allow returns? Maybe you can call a different Tiffany store up and ask them if they would refund it in this timeframe if it’s in saleable condition?

If I personally was in the same situation, I’d take it to a jeweler i trust that can get it resized and can polish out all scratches within 1-2 days (assuming you were rushing to be in a certain timeframe). Assuming the jeweler does good/average work, I personally feel like resizing doesn’t show(am I mistaken?) and polishing is easy cause I’ve had rings that were polished and they were like new, not a single hairline scratch.

I don’t think you can really make sure things are a go until a Tiffany store sees and approves the ring for a refund, so it might be best to prepare your fiancé.

Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your insights!
That's a great idea! Because, although Tiffany has inscriptions around the band, I don't think that's a problem to resize it larger.

I will call another Tiffany store tomorrow morning and ask about options for me. Then, see if I can get a jeweler to do as you suggested!
The metal is platinum, so will that make resizing difficult? I'm guessing that's not the case.

I think once I get the go ahead from Tiffany's that this could still be done, than I'll get everything going and talk to my FI.

I am concerned about the weird timing of everything, so let's see what can happen.
Thanks for your support!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, your thoughtfulness and consideration genuinely touches my heart! I can't tell you how thankful I am to have such a knowledgeable and confident person like yourself in my corner! Your words give me tons of confidence to at least try and fight the good fight.

My SA is extremely slimy. I can't even write on here the things he's said to me, but let's just say it goes into inappropriate territory! So, I suspect despite the fact that he'd 'love' to help me out, he's giving me the runaround too. Perhaps I should bring my parents in to fight stuff out.

You are too sweet to give me so many compliments! I am just trying to help you because this is such an expensive purchase and it really should be something that makes you happy every day. Your FI will definitely overcome “the exchange” if/when you are able to complete it.

I will definitely bring the big guns (aka your parents :lol-2:) they seem to be pretty assertive based on what you shared about them. I also think that because they want for you to have a different ring, they will be motivated to help.

I will be careful with letting anyone else but Tiffany touch the ring and complete the resize. Polishing the bottom only maybe, but resize can be visible if not done correctly, there was an incident here not too long ago with a visible resize.

When you call other stores, just explain that you were given a ring that you don’t like, what are your options for a return/exchange. I would not even let them think for a second that you are unsure if return is possible. Even if it is not 30days, you are still very close. They must have reissued a receipt when you got the new ring? What was the date of the exchange?

Actually, even better may be going to the store and asking directly with your parents. You can even take the ring as is and just pretend that you didn’t know that it was sized if they ask. I can’t imagine that it will be very scratched or worn out for a month..

Last comment - be prepared to act on the spot. The SA/Manager that you will meet in another location may be flexible, but they can change their mind if you leave the store and try to come back and complete the transaction.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are within 30 days even from receipt of this ring, I would try. I think you need to go in the store in person and ask for the manager It would be best if your fiance were there, as well. Or he could take it back and say you didn't like it and he is returning it. Oh, and I just read what Simone said, and I agree..don't let anyone touch this ring but Tiffany. You don't have time for resizing even at Tiffany because they send the rings to NY to do most things.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You are too sweet to give me so many compliments! I am just trying to help you because this is such an expensive purchase and it really should be something that makes you happy every day. Your FI will definitely overcome “the exchange” if/when you are able to complete it.

I will definitely bring the big guns (aka your parents :lol-2:) they seem to be pretty assertive based on what you shared about them. I also think that because they want for you to have a different ring, they will be motivated to help.

I will be careful with letting anyone else but Tiffany touch the ring and complete the resize. Polishing the bottom only maybe, but resize can be visible if not done correctly, there was an incident here not too long ago with a visible resize.

When you call other stores, just explain that you were given a ring that you don’t like, what are your options for a return/exchange. I would not even let them think for a second that you are unsure if return is possible. Even if it is not 30days, you are still very close. They must have reissued a receipt when you got the new ring? What was the date of the exchange?

Actually, even better may be going to the store and asking directly with your parents. You can even take the ring as is and just pretend that you didn’t know that it was sized if they ask. I can’t imagine that it will be very scratched or worn out for a month..

Last comment - be prepared to act on the spot. The SA/Manager that you will meet in another location may be flexible, but they can change their mind if you leave the store and try to come back and complete the transaction.

I guess I just come from a place where I don't ever expect genuine kindness from strangers. So, I'm usually overwhelmed by gratitude when I experience such pure kindness like what I have experienced on this forum by people like yourself.

The problem is that this ring has a spacer bar put in underneath because my ring size is actually 4.5 but to get the ring over my knuckles, they kept it at 4.75 and added the bar on the bottom of the ring. So, I don't know what to do about that.

The ring does have some scratches to the bottom. It looks a lot more worn in comparison to the top :eek2: I was just looking at it now!

I don't mind bringing in the big guns aka the parents. We'll see if they can do anything. Maybe another store might be more flexible. I'm under the impression that this might not be the case.

Thanks again for considering my dilemma. I'll post on here what my results are! You ladies are very inspirational! I love strong women!

If you are within 30 days even from receipt of this ring, I would try. I think you need to go in the store in person and ask for the manager It would be best if your fiance were there, as well. Or he could take it back and say you didn't like it and he is returning it. Oh, and I just read what Simone said, and I agree..don't let anyone touch this ring but Tiffany. You don't have time for resizing even at Tiffany because they send the rings to NY to do most things.

I am within 30 days of receipt of this ring. I'll try to see what I can do. I want to bring this up with my SA, but he's pretty connected in the Tiffany world, so I'm worried he'll alert ppl that I'm going to try and bring back this ring.
I'm trying the 'we might break up' tactic, but he's super slimy and gross as a person, so I don't know if I really want anymore interaction with him.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I just come from a place where I don't ever expect genuine kindness from strangers. So, I'm usually overwhelmed by gratitude when I experience such pure kindness like what I have experienced on this forum by people like yourself.

The problem is that this ring has a spacer bar put in underneath because my ring size is actually 4.5 but to get the ring over my knuckles, they kept it at 4.75 and added the bar on the bottom of the ring. So, I don't know what to do about that.

The ring does have some scratches to the bottom. It looks a lot more worn in comparison to the top :eek2: I was just looking at it now!

I don't mind bringing in the big guns aka the parents. We'll see if they can do anything. Maybe another store might be more flexible. I'm under the impression that this might not be the case.

Thanks again for considering my dilemma. I'll post on here what my results are! You ladies are very inspirational! I love strong women!

I am within 30 days of receipt of this ring. I'll try to see what I can do. I want to bring this up with my SA, but he's pretty connected in the Tiffany world, so I'm worried he'll alert ppl that I'm going to try and bring back this ring.
I'm trying the 'we might break up' tactic, but he's super slimy and gross as a person, so I don't know if I really want anymore interaction with him.

Neither the added bar not the scratches are a big deal for Tiffany. They can take out the bar, polish the ring and resell it without a problem, they are just being difficult. If you are within 30days of this ring, that is all that matters.

My advice will be that you don’t bring any of this up with your SA. Also, it doesn’t seem that he has been kind to you, so I will report that. If anything, I will use the things that he has said to you to your advantage - say that he made you uncomfortable and that you were coerced into making a decision to pick that ring and get it resized. You can even say that he told you to wear it for a bit and if you didn’t like it, then you can exchange it. :evil2::twisted2::P2 You should state that had you known hat a resize will make the ring nonreturnable, you would have never done it. I have the feeling that you probably wanted to exchange the new ring right then and there but you figured you will “give it a try” for a bit ..

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Neither the added bar not the scratches are a big deal for Tiffany. They can take out the bar, polish the ring and resell it without a problem, they are just being difficult. If you are within 30days of this ring, that is all that matters.

My advice will be that you don’t bring any of this up with your SA. Also, it doesn’t seem that he has been kind to you, so I will report that. If anything, I will use the things that he has said to you to your advantage - say that he made you uncomfortable and that you were coerced into making a decision to pick that ring and get it resized. You can even say that he told you to wear it for a bit and if you didn’t like it, then you can exchange it. :evil2::twisted2::P2 You should state that had you known hat a resize will make the ring nonreturnable, you would have never done it. I have the feeling that you probably wanted to exchange the new ring right then and there but you figured you will “give it a try” for a bit ..

You are a brilliant woman! My goodness I feel so lucky to have encountered you!
Yes, I will be doing everything you mentioned. I don't think it's wise to go to the same store that I went to get this ring. I'll try somewhere different.
I will do exactly what you said. Get some discussions involved in all of this!
I see my partner this weekend, so I'm going to take all the papers back with me to see what can be done.

You're right, his attitude did make me very uncomfortable. He should have done the right thing and refunded our money knowing that he couldn't do what I wanted. And yes, I did want to 'test' the ring to see if I could be happy with it.

I love your ideas! You're like one of my awesome girlfriends who have such amazing tips that get me through sticky situations! I would hug you if I could!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I know the answer to this, but IS there something you could EXCHANGE it for vs returning outright? Is the SA difficult bc he’d loose a commission?

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think I know the answer to this, but IS there something you could EXCHANGE it for vs returning outright? Is the SA difficult bc he’d loose a commission?

Thanks for asking!
Yes, I'd get a larger stone as the center ring to satisfy at least one of my criteria.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your FI will definitely overcome “the exchange” if/when you are able to complete it.

I don't know if I would assume that. This is a very personal issue that different people would have very different feelings about. Some people may not care. For others this might be a relationship ender. I would make sure that FI is ok with you taking steps on your own to do this before just charging ahead. Same with selling the ring or buying a new one. Many people might be quite offended to find out that their fiance had returned, exchanged, or sold the ring that they gave them (especially at a loss) without it being a joint decision about how best to go forward. It's not just your feelings that matter here, and you won't be able to take only your feelings into account going forward into married life. Marriage is about making sure that both people's needs are met and that both people are able to live with whatever decision is made. Besides, if the ring is on his CC, Tiffany's may not be willing to do anything anyway without him there. Sometimes people here (being jewelry lovers) focus only on the bling, and forget that the bling is attached to people, to relationships, to sentiment, and has meaning beyond just a piece of jewelry. Your relationship with your FI is way more precious than your ring, so whatever you do, make sure you try to preserve that.

I do agree with the advice to see if you can exchange the ring for one that suits you more, especially since you are within the 30 days of having the new ring - maybe even ask to speak to a manager at your Tiffany's store, rather than dealing with your specific SA. But I would be very careful about stretching the truth about possibly breaking up with FI, or what your SA did or didn't say to you. It's absolutely appropriate to complain about inappropriate things that might have been said to you, but not to suggest that things were said that weren't just to further your own case. I would also be very careful about being "sneaky" (aka dishonest) about having the ring resized and repolished returned to another store and pretending that this was never done. Your moral compass is not worth derailing over this.

And for a slightly different perspective, keep in mind that your SA is bound by company policy and would be disciplined and possibly fired if they agreed to anything that was outside of that policy. If you want something outside of the norm, you will need to speak to a manager or a regional manager, or someone from upper Tiffany's management - whoever might actually have the power to make that type of decision. Having worked as a SA while putting myself through school, I've had my share of people screaming at me for things that were simply beyond my ability to do for them, whether I wanted to or not, and it's not nice. You are much more likely to get help through being nice, asking to speak to someone high enough up to actually help you, being honest about the situation (and your own role in it), and being willing to be somewhat flexible (i.e., asking for an exchange, possibly with an upgrade) vs going in with guns blazing, yelling at people, lying, being sneaky, or being rigid in demanding a refund.

I hope you are able to achieve what makes you happy, and I look forward to following things to see how they go.

Last edited:

PepperT

Rough_Rock
Excellent advice from cmd2014.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I know the answer to this, but IS there something you could EXCHANGE it for vs returning outright?
Thanks for asking!
Yes, I'd get a larger stone as the center ring to satisfy at least one of my criteria.
* * * The date of the sale was the friday before our thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. So, around mid October. That might be a sticking point for me then.
I think an exchange is the best you can realistically hope Tiffany will offer at this point. As it is, today is 9 weeks, more than 60 days, past the purchase date of October 6 (Canada's Thanksgiving was Monday, October 9, this year.). But it seems a noticeably larger center stone isn't financially feasible. According to Tiffany's Canadian website, the base price difference between a 1 ct round Soleste with single halo & a 1.5 ct one is more than $15,000 CAD.
http://www.tiffany.ca/engagement/ri...0334?search_params=param+0/0/0/0/0/0/GRP10101
http://www.tiffany.ca/engagement/ri...0164?search_params=param+0/0/0/0/0/0/GRP10101

So perhaps you will reconsider whether it makes sense to pursue another exchange & will instead decide to embrace, at least for the time being, what is an iconic Tiffany piece.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP said that she is within 30 days of the second ring. The first receipt should have nothing to do with her current ring as the second purchase is expected to “reset” the 30day clock.

OP does not want a larger Soleste, she wants the Schlumberger or another notable Tiffany/brand design. If not a Tiffany/brand ring, then OP wanted a larger stone.

As far as I gathered, she will be ok with either getting the brand ring that she wanted (read Schlumberger) or a refund and then getting a larger non branded ring.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I think you have a good plan and wish you luck in working something out at a different Tiffanys. In my experience it is standard business practice that the clock starts ticking from the initial transaction so you would not be within the 30d. Otherwise customers could repeatedly come back on day 29 and the clock would reset and neither party would know exactly when the exchange period could end. Just adding this to explain a different perspective.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a 1.5 ct schlumberger on Etsy. I don’t know about your budget or resale issues however.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry I mean ebay not Etsy.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP said that she is within 30 days of the second ring. The first receipt should have nothing to do with her current ring as the second purchase is expected to “reset” the 30day clock.

OP does not want a larger Soleste, she wants the Schlumberger or another notable Tiffany/brand design. If not a Tiffany/brand ring, then OP wanted a larger stone.

As far as I gathered, she will be ok with either getting the brand ring that she wanted (read Schlumberger) or a refund and then getting a larger non branded ring.
I realize that was her original wish. But the 1-ct Schlumberger starts at $28,700 CAD, which is beyond her fiancé's budget -- that's why the original Soleste ring was not exchanged for the Schlumberger (see her post @ #16).

I think we should keep in mind that, since the exchange for the current Soleste took place less than 30 days ago, it happened more than 30 days from the original purchase (which may be another reason that a refund wasn't offered then), so Tiffany already cut them some slack the first time around. Also, I doubt that Tiffany deems the 30- day clock is reset with every exchange. Under that theory, someone could come in every 29 days and make a swap & thereby convert Tiffany into a jewelry loaning/rental enterprise, which is not their
business.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize that was her original wish. But the 1-ct Schlumberger starts at $28,700 CAD, which is beyond her fiancé's budget -- that's why the original Soleste ring was not exchanged for the Schlumberger (see her post @ #16).

I think we should keep in mind that, since the exchange for the current Soleste took place less than 30 days ago, it happened more than 30 days from the original purchase (which may be another reason that a refund wasn't offered then), so Tiffany already cut them some slack the first time around. Also, I doubt that Tiffany deems the 30- day clock is reset with every exchange. Under that theory, someone could come in every 29 days and make a swap & thereby convert Tiffany into a jewelry loaning/rental enterprise, which is not their
business.

lol @ jewelry loaning / rental enterprise .... I'd pay the Tiffany premium to be able to change my ring every 30 days, I love variety ;P

I'm sure a Rent the Jewels start-up is coming soon from Silicon Valley :eek2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

business.

I 100% see your point and agree that it is a valid one. I guess my expectation would be that in the event that the client is unhappy and wants to spend more money with a high end retailer like Tiffany, then the store should be able to accomodate for that. What if the first ring was simply returned and then the couple purchased a new ring, does that reset the clock? I don’t know about CA, but in the US it does, at least from my experience. Based on what OP shared, it seems that she had a long standing relationship with the particular SA or that she is a long time Tiffany customer. It also seems that the SA has been not kind to her and pressured her into making a decision on the spot when they exchanged the ring the first time. I am sorry, but that is not ok and I think that the manger should know. No matter how “friendly” an SA can get, they should always be professional. I also think that because OP has such a particular taste, she really needs to try everything possible in order to return/exchange the ring and unfortunately some people don’t comply when asked nicely. I learned that the hard way after not standing up for myself and my own wishes in my younger years. I do also want to say that I have had multiple SA jobs so this is not to say “be mean to people”, far from it. Just sometimes customers need to be firm in their requests.. In my view OP still has a real chance to “fix” the situation by at least getting another exchange and her and her fiancé can be on their way to happiness without any negative feelings associated with the ring.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lol @ jewelry loaning / rental enterprise .... I'd pay the Tiffany premium to be able to change my ring every 30 days, I love variety ;P

I'm sure a Rent the Jewels start-up is coming soon from Silicon Valley :eek2:
That is an AWESOME idea :geek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results