shape
carat
color
clarity

FI bought a generic looking Tiffany's ring...what are my options now?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful. It has Tiffany quality and many people who have a “in the style of” would swap their ring for yours in a heartbeat. It will have a higher resale value, at a later date IF that is your choice, than a generic diamond ring. It is the beautiful ring that your FI chose for you, with love. In time, yes, you might choose to upgrade, you might choose a different style, a bigger diamond and that’s fine. My mother has been through 5 engagement rings over the decades. I have still the same main diamonds, but chose a redesign last year.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there was a suggestion to try to return at another Tiffany location, but I am certain that will not work. You have to go to the location where this ring was purchased. You could try to go on a day that your sales associate is off and ask for the manager. I also doubt they will do a return, so think about whether they will really have anything better than you have now. I also think you'd have to have your fiance with you since he purchased the ring, so you really are going to have to talk with him about this before you can do anything.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please keep us apprised of what happens. We all wish you the best. I just came back to say again how lovely your ring looks on your hand. You fiancé is proud (I think) of what he got you. I would NOT let my family or co-workers have a say in what I wear as an ER!! I know you wanted a brand (at one point), and the one you got is beautifully executed. I know a lot of gals want quality, but also SIZE. I just want to point out that if you intend to wear your ring all the time, big is not always so practical. I’m long-married, four kids, pets, yadda yadda yadda and my 1ctw ER is much better for day to day than my mom’s 2ctw which I also now have. Like others said, life’s a long haul, and down the road there can be ungrades, changes or a wardrobe of rings. I’m not trying to talk you in or out of ANYTHING. I’m just saying that if you cannot return your ring (maybe bc it was resized - I’m not sure I’d want a resized ring sold to me as NEW by Tiffany), you’ve got a beautiful ring that I think you’ll appreciate for years to come. Good luck.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful. It has Tiffany quality and many people who have a “in the style of” would swap their ring for yours in a heartbeat. It will have a higher resale value, at a later date IF that is your choice, than a generic diamond ring. It is the beautiful ring that your FI chose for you, with love. In time, yes, you might choose to upgrade, you might choose a different style, a bigger diamond and that’s fine. My mother has been through 5 engagement rings over the decades. I have still the same main diamonds, but chose a redesign last year.

Thank you very much for your input on my scenario!
I really appreciate the perspective regarding the style and quality of Tiffany (I know that PSers generally aren't great fans of Tiffany, so I find it very wonderful to have ppl supportive of this choice despite going non-branded as the preferred option on here!) :mrgreen2:

I have already put the feelers out for an upgrade sooner than later. FI was a little taken aback, but I think it's one of those scenarios where you gotta keep 'nudging' and 'dropping the hints' until it happens :lol-2::lol-2:

I think there was a suggestion to try to return at another Tiffany location, but I am certain that will not work. You have to go to the location where this ring was purchased. You could try to go on a day that your sales associate is off and ask for the manager. I also doubt they will do a return, so think about whether they will really have anything better than you have now. I also think you'd have to have your fiance with you since he purchased the ring, so you really are going to have to talk with him about this before you can do anything.

I phoned up another location today. They said that as long as the ring wasn't worn, they don't care where it was purchased (apparently).
I think I might do what another lovely PSer suggested and get it sized/buffed either by Tiffany or someone else and then go in for the exchange.
They said it shouldn't be a problem if I'm pass the 30 day mark if I want to exchange.
The original location that I purchased my ring from was absolutely no help and they SA was trying to suggest I upgrade the 2x.

They told me that if they were to exchange my ring, I'd have to pay for them to dismantle the ring = 2.5 - 3.5 k (so the cost of the setting). They said that's what they'd take as a loss for the ring because they never use the diamonds or metal again. I am very suspect of that statement, but I can't confirm if that's true or not.

So, I think I'll have to have the difficult conversation with my FI this evening to see what I'm playing with.

I'm also seeing how much it would cost to upgrade a larger stone (1.4 ct). If the costs outweight or are almost the same as getting a new ring, I might just do that instead.

Thanks again for your input and very helpful/wise suggestions! I am thankful to have folks like you care about my situation!

Please keep us apprised of what happens. We all wish you the best. I just came back to say again how lovely your ring looks on your hand. You fiancé is proud (I think) of what he got you. I would NOT let my family or co-workers have a say in what I wear as an ER!! I know you wanted a brand (at one point), and the one you got is beautifully executed. I know a lot of gals want quality, but also SIZE. I just want to point out that if you intend to wear your ring all the time, big is not always so practical. I’m long-married, four kids, pets, yadda yadda yadda and my 1ctw ER is much better for day to day than my mom’s 2ctw which I also now have. Like others said, life’s a long haul, and down the road there can be ungrades, changes or a wardrobe of rings. I’m not trying to talk you in or out of ANYTHING. I’m just saying that if you cannot return your ring (maybe bc it was resized - I’m not sure I’d want a resized ring sold to me as NEW by Tiffany), you’ve got a beautiful ring that I think you’ll appreciate for years to come. Good luck.

Absolutely! I'll be keeping everyone up to date on what's going on!
So far, I'm getting some pricing quotes from another Tiffany's location.
I'm very curious if the workmanship at Tiffany's to 'resize' the ring will be any different than if I go to a really professional local jeweler and get them to buff and resize my ring. Then I can go in and make the exchange happen. I think the SA I spoke to on the phone is eager to make a quick sale, so I'm sure she'll be happy to take my extra cash :P2:P2

I do feel a bit bad about this whole scenario, but then I remind myself that Tiffany's is a huge company who's policies are quite wishy washy (all dependent on SA, Manager, store etc) and they are definitely making huge profits off of folks like my FI who didn't know any better :mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

Thanks for your story! I also have been debating this in my mind as well = how large is too cumbersome for everyday use.
I was even told by some colleagues that they don't even wear their e-ring because it gets in the way when they're dealing with young kids. They just wear their wedding bands.

I think you're absolutely right about sizing. You have been very kind with your time and words to me. Thanks so much for all of your considerations!! Everyone's words, including yours, have meant a lot to me!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I 100% see your point and agree that it is a valid one. I guess my expectation would be that in the event that the client is unhappy and wants to spend more money with a high end retailer like Tiffany, then the store should be able to accomodate for that. What if the first ring was simply returned and then the couple purchased a new ring, does that reset the clock? I don’t know about CA, but in the US it does, at least from my experience. Based on what OP shared, it seems that she had a long standing relationship with the particular SA or that she is a long time Tiffany customer. It also seems that the SA has been not kind to her and pressured her into making a decision on the spot when they exchanged the ring the first time. I am sorry, but that is not ok and I think that the manger should know. No matter how “friendly” an SA can get, they should always be professional. I also think that because OP has such a particular taste, she really needs to try everything possible in order to return/exchange the ring and unfortunately some people don’t comply when asked nicely. I learned that the hard way after not standing up for myself and my own wishes in my younger years. I do also want to say that I have had multiple SA jobs so this is not to say “be mean to people”, far from it. Just sometimes customers need to be firm in their requests.. In my view OP still has a real chance to “fix” the situation by at least getting another exchange and her and her fiancé can be on their way to happiness without any negative feelings associated with the ring.

I have also been an SA myself for various places, so I understand that there is some wiggle room if you really want to go that extra mile for a customer who has been kind etc. Yes, my SA was beyond unkind. He even said to me, in front of my friends when he wanted to take my ring size) that he was hoping my relationship wouldn't work out so he could make a move! YUK! But, I didn't want to say anything because my ring was in his hands at that point. It was extremely in poor taste and quite awful. So, I NEVER went to the store alone to get anything after that moment with that SA.

I really thank you for helping me through this period of time. I also believe that the clock is reset when you get a new item. As with other stores, when you exchange an item, they often will give you a new receipt etc because technically, it's a new item.

I think Tiffany's could do better to accommodate my needs and interests. They make so much profit it's somewhat crazy when I see the prices from PS etc. My FI and I would purchase more in the future, but at this point, after this e-ring experience, I'm going the PS advisory route for most other purchases (other than one or two designer items that I still want).
:mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

You are an amazing asset to PS and I cannot thank you enough for the strength, advice and support! I keep saying kind things but I just can't help it when I read such thoughtful messages like yours.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have also been an SA myself for various places, so I understand that there is some wiggle room if you really want to go that extra mile for a customer who has been kind etc. Yes, my SA was beyond unkind. He even said to me, in front of my friends when he wanted to take my ring size) that he was hoping my relationship wouldn't work out so he could make a move! YUK! But, I didn't want to say anything because my ring was in his hands at that point. It was extremely in poor taste and quite awful. So, I NEVER went to the store alone to get anything after that moment with that SA.

I really thank you for helping me through this period of time. I also believe that the clock is reset when you get a new item. As with other stores, when you exchange an item, they often will give you a new receipt etc because technically, it's a new item.

I think Tiffany's could do better to accommodate my needs and interests. They make so much profit it's somewhat crazy when I see the prices from PS etc. My FI and I would purchase more in the future, but at this point, after this e-ring experience, I'm going the PS advisory route for most other purchases (other than one or two designer items that I still want).
:mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

You are an amazing asset to PS and I cannot thank you enough for the strength, advice and support! I keep saying kind things but I just can't help it when I read such thoughtful messages like yours.

I think you should report this guy because his behavior is completely unacceptable. :angryfire:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, what are you going to do if Tiffany's offers an exchange, but not a return? I suppose an option is to sell the piece, and use towards another ring. I think Tiffany's honoring a return a this point is less likely.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So, what are you going to do if Tiffany's offers an exchange, but not a return? I suppose an option is to sell the piece, and use towards another ring. I think Tiffany's honoring a return a this point is less likely.

Well, at this point I might just get a larger 'diamond' from Tiffany's and pay a bit more for a simpler setting.
That way, I'm putting the money towards the larger center stone and swap out the setting down the line (rather than having to do the 2x the money deal).

I'll probably just get the simple Tiffany setting OR the tiffany setting with channel diamonds and get a stone around 1.30ct or so.
I'll pay a bit extra, but that won't be too bad.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think you should report this guy because his behavior is completely unacceptable. :angryfire:

I agree. He sounds like a creep.

Thanks for your support! I think once I'm done with this Tiffany saga, I'll make a complaint. Just not right now. This SA tells me he's quite 'high up' in the Tiffany world, so I worry if I piss him off he'll somehow screw me over with something (don't know what...but maybe)?

pokypup

Rough_Rock
Trade
I had to go and google what the Schlumberger Engagement ring looked like lol. Your ring is beautiful :love:I find sometimes when you chop and change it creates a cycle and you keep doubting yourself. Stop worrying and focus on the fact you're engaged and enjoy that! It's such a special time. I don't understand why you swapped the double halo to the single halo, but both are so gorgeous regardless. You can always upgrade later on down the track too!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's a sales associate. I doubt he is high up in the "Tiffany world". Unless he is just sometimes doing it for fun?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The SA seems like he is all talk, but I agree about making a complain after the successful resolution, unless he continues to give you a hard time. I already don't appreciate his manners or lack of such and the way he spoke to you, so unprofessional. I think that it will be good for you and for any future customers to share your concerns with management.

Good luck with the exchange!

PS between the classic Tiffany and the channel set, I would recommend the classic, it is a very beautiful setting and very much Tiffany! It also allows for many "dress up" options with bands! The channel setting is a bit more limiting when i comes to the band selection. But up to you in the end!

Last edited:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Following along with your journey, I too sympathize with your plight. I do not love my e-ring diamond. The difference is that everyone else around me seems to love it and have helped me to recognize it's symbolism. Overlooking the mind clean aspects of it, I love it for what it means to my FI and what it means for our future. I also know that in the future I will be able to work towards something that I truly love.In your situation however, I think that its fair to say that at this junction, this is NOT the ring for you.

However, I can not believe the terrible service which you have received from Tiffany's! Though living in the city and having gone into their locations here in NYC I can tell you that they can be a bit snooty . However, for the sales associate to blatantly say the things that this "professional" did is NOT right. :x2:x2:x2 It is harassment, plain and simple - and with so many high powered men currently in hot water, I think that NOW is the perfect time to bring it up with a manager - preferably a female one. I would not wait to inform a manager. The MOMENT he makes you uncomfortable, says something off color the next time you have to meet with this creep, is the perfect time to ask for a higher, and if one can't be obtained for you demand to see the store manager even if he has to be called over the phone.

Waiting to inform a manager about your SA's poor behavior will not help you find what you're looking for now. In fact since it is going to be a past issue, he will most likely get a slap on the wrist and be on his way to harass others. If you say something now, he will most likely be removed from your sale, you will be more comfortable in your search, and if they know that you are not someone that is no nonsense and can't be walked over they will provide you with better service.

Coming from a retail background, if he messes up your future purchase for any reason after this, it could be grounds for a lawsuit - not that the above harassment isn't enough. If Tiffany messes up your future order, they will also not try to sweep it under the rug thinking that you're someone whose easy to get rid of. Once that liability has been opened up with a manager, I bet they will work with you in the search of what you're looking for at this point and take him off your case. If you choose to proceed this way, you WILL need to put on a thick skin and at this point bringing an older person with strong convictions (ie, a parental figure, a loud friend) with you.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! What a saga! I have so many thoughts to share with you.

First, congratulations on your engagement! I’m very happy for you and also I think it’s great that you have a FI that wasn’t afraid to go into a store that is world-reknowned for their craftsmanship and beauty! Woo woo! I am a total Pricescoper and love the idea of getting the most bang for my buck, but if my DH ever gave me an “over-priced” item from Tiffany’s, I guarantee my heart rate would go up with excitement the second I saw that little blue box! Anyways.

I can also relate to you on wanting a distinctive-looking ring. When my husband and I were discussing the prospect of marriage, he asked if I wanted to be involved in selecting the ring. In our discussions it came to light that he preferred the simple solitaire look (a style that most men are familiar with) and I was horrified! I was soooo not a plane Jane solitaire kinda gal! I needed something more unique, to be sure.

We got engaged with a beautiful pear labradorite chevron ring. So edgy and cool! This was three years ago. What am I saving up to buy now? A SOLITAIRE. What?!!! :lol:

I share my story with you because sometimes tastes can change over time. Your ring is so gorgeous and I think there is a very good chance that you could love it more as time goes by. I also love the suggestion of you getting a really epic wedding band. When I hear schlumberger, I think of their anniversary bands with the X’s - I’m sure you know the ones? Be still, my heart!

I think it’s worth attempting a returnbor exchange. However I wouldn’t hold out a lot of hope. Escalating to the regional manager might be useful, but I don’t see how you’d get that info unless the manager at the store level were to cooperate. I am so sorry for the stress and anguish you’ve had to deal with on this. I think it’s lovely that your FI was ok with you exchanging the first ring. He clearly cares for you <3

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AF1093B0-73FB-4433-BA0D-2BE74FA68CBD.png 1FF4E6CD-5C06-45BE-9CCC-FD96ECE93117.png Here is my current anniversary band :D and my original e-ring.

As you can see, my style has really evolved! And now I have a sweet little baby, and 99% of the time I wear a plain silver band or no ring at all! I guess what I’m trying to say is that sometimes your style will change and you’re life will change. Some people enjoy having “one ring to rule them all” and others (like me!) prefer a collection that represents many of the stages in their life.

I wish you all the best! At the end of the day, it’s just a ring. (I know this is blasphemy to say on PS, but if you are in love and you and your FI are happy and healthy... well that’s pretty damn good!) :)

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Congratulations.

Do what you and your Fiancé want. I think you’re stuck win Tiffany, you’ll lose too much money going elsewhere unless you can refund and a Tiffany setting losss it’s Tiffany premium if you take it apart. Would you ever sell your engagement ring? Probably not unless you upgraded it!

Personally I think the ring is beautiful. But to each their own. Yes, it’s impoetant to communicate exactly what you want and hopefully your fiancé doesn’t mind, but going ring shopping together may be a relationship building exercise. Cliche but true.

We designed our ring together pre-engagement and couldn’t be happier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results