shape
carat
color
clarity

FI bought a generic looking Tiffany's ring...what are my options now?

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello folks!
I've lurked on this thread for years, but never really posted anything.
So, my FI and myself went ring shopping awhile back for my engagement ring.
I showed him unique designs from each 'brand' that I liked = romantique from Van Cleef, the Ballerine from Cartier and Schlumberger from Tiffany's.

I rejected the ordinary styles (i.e. halo etc) because I figured, if I got a brand name, I wanted to get something distinctive from that brand. I know most on here would rather get carat size than brand, and I understand why. I only considered a brand name for their very cool designs that might be a bit more difficult to replicate. I told my FI at the time that if these rings were out of price range, I'd rather go custom and get a bigger, higher quality, rock non-branded.

Anyways, fast forward to today. I didn't get anything that I wanted, but we're stuck with an expensive, and generic, Tiffany ring :(
I already contacted the SA to see if I can get at least a larger stone without having to 'double' the price. I haven't even had the ring for a month.
I'm also looking at selling the ring and buying custom or pre-owned and upgrading to a larger stone.

As an aside: my ring is
- VS2
- triple ex
- no florescence
- single soleste halo
- H color

Mind you, I'm in Canada, so the cost of this ring is higher (I'm assuming).
I just feel like this ring isn't me. It's way to ordinary. I might as well have gone to Zales or Costco and bought a halo at this point if I was getting this design.

What do you folks think I should do? I can't really talk to my FI about this, so I figured pricescopers might have some ideas.
Thanks!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you return it since you've only had a month?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very important to know the return policy and the faster you act, the better the chance the ring can be returned.

Some will say keep it and get an elaborate wedding band and try to upgrade later. Certainly that's a option.

The other option obviously is to just gently tell him that wasn't one of your favorite designs and how would he feel if you changed it. Some will care and some won't. I think it is okay to try. Tiffany probably would let you reset that stone in another of their settings for an additional fee, though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to add one thing to future people reading this. If you are very particular and have certain things you want and don't want, you have to communicate that VERY clearly. Men don't always get hints. They need to be told, I like Cartier Ballerine and Tiffany XYZ ONLY, so surprise me with one of those. (Van Cleef would likely be out of range due to them only carrying D-F color diamonds meaning theirs will be highest price of the three.)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TBH, you're going to have much bigger issues to discuss with your FI in the future. Disliking your ER is a delicate subject but nowhere close to important marriage disagreements so being able to communicate is essential. Figure out how to bring it up with him ASAP as your return window is closing fast.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find out Tiffany’s return policy, then talk to Fi. It will suck, but it’s just a small blip in time. The ring on your finger is a much bigger/longer blip- might as well get something you love.

I’m sure he meant well, and I’m sure he loves you tons and thought you’d love what he picked out. Just be gentle and it should be OK.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi folks!
The ring was sized for my hand and I did wear it for a bit, so I don't know if I could still return the ring minus a 10% restocking fee etc etc.

I will say that my FI initially proposed to me in a ring I absolutely disliked even more than now (double halo cushion soleste). We went into the Tiffany store and had a very long 'discussion' about an alternative ring at the time in front of the SA the day after our proposal. I had to choose on the spot something comparable under extreme stress and angst.
But, the more I thought about my choice, the more I was still very unhappy about how everything turned out. I really regret not being a lot more strong and demanding a refund back then. I was just unsure if we could refund since he'd already put money down etc.

I've been searching for their policies and they seem a bit wishy washy and based on each store's discretion?

Yes, I definitely thought I was clear, but obviously me choosing 3 rings in a particular style wasn't good enough.

Thanks for the feedback thus far.
I'm going to see about getting this ring refunded. Maybe I should just contact the store directly? Or talk to my SA again? He won't be very pleased about all of this.

I should say the only other option I was entertaining was upgrading the diamond ring, but hopefully NOT paying the double price considering that it's been less than one month.
I appreciate the insights.

Last edited:

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the "generic" Tiffany ring and I love it... Its classic and looks way better than the costco version, I assure you. You can make it more original via your wedding band or stacking multiple.

But if youre really unhappy I would talk to your fiance ASAP. I would not just go over his head and talk to the store directly. If its been resized and over 30 days you probably wont have a choice in the matter... either spend twice as much to upgrade or sell on secondary market.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the "generic" Tiffany ring and I love it... Its classic and looks way better than the costco version, I assure you. You can make it more original via your wedding band or stacking multiple.

But if youre really unhappy I would talk to your fiance ASAP. I would not just go over his head and talk to the store directly. If its been resized and over 30 days you probably wont have a choice in the matter... either spend twice as much to upgrade or sell on secondary market.

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I tried talking to the SAs about my ring. I asked them if this halo was in any ways distinctive (the small nuances and details that make a Tiffany ring stand out). They couldn't really respond with anything.

I loved the classic Tiffany solitaire. I can definitely see the craftsmanship there.
However, my FI didn't want me having just a diamond on a ring, so that was out of the running LOL.
In hindsight, that would have been my best option, as I could have just spent another 5 - 6k and gotten a more favourable setting than having to pay double for a complete upgrade.

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I tried talking to the SAs about my ring. I asked them if this halo was in any ways distinctive (the small nuances and details that make a Tiffany ring stand out). They couldn't really respond with anything.

I loved the classic Tiffany solitaire. I can definitely see the craftsmanship there.
However, my FI didn't want me having just a diamond on a ring, so that was out of the running LOL.
In hindsight, that would have been my best option, as I could have just spent another 5 - 6k and gotten a more favourable setting than having to pay double for a complete upgrade.

ohhhhh im sorry, I was confused. You have the soleste halo. I thought you meant you just had the plain jane soliatire. If it makes you feel any better, the craftmanship on it is definitely distinct from others on the market IMO. Im sure it looks glorious in person. It might not be shlumberger (sp?) distinct but the soleste is a coveted fabulous ring. Show us a pic!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ohhhhh im sorry, I was confused. You have the soleste halo. I thought you meant you just had the plain jane soliatire. If it makes you feel any better, the craftmanship on it is definitely distinct from others on the market IMO. Im sure it looks glorious in person. It might not be shlumberger (sp?) distinct but the soleste is a coveted fabulous ring. Show us a pic!

Thanks for your optimistic and supportive response. I appreciate it!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty halo. Is it distinct in that anyone can say it's a Tiffany design? I would say no. If your preference is to have an immediately identifiable ring like Cartier's Ballerine, then you need to figure out how to refund and start fresh. IMHO, Tiffany's double-halo Soleste that you returned is a much more distinct Tiffany design.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In this situation, I think you really need to speak with your FI. If it's causing you this much stress what appears to be over a month after your engagement, it isn't the ring for you. Sometimes men can be super dense and it's feeling like this may be one of those times.

When you went back after the initial proposal were you not given the Schlumberger as an option? If that was the ring you wanted, what happened at the store that made you pick something else?

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
well its really beautiful and the construction is seamless. I love how it just appears to be just diamonds, not lots of clunky metal. No gaps etc. The melee is much higher quality than you would find at Costco, im sure, and the ring will hold its resale value more so than an unbranded piece. Call the store for sure, but if you are stuck with this beautiful ring, I assure you there are much worse problems one can have! lol. it doesnt have to be your last ring ever on this earth, and down the road you could do the trade in for your dream distinct tiffany ring.
For instance, here is James Allen version. Note the gap between the centerstone and halo, and the distinct lines/gaps between all the pave in the halo (and thats with pro photography!) its just not as seamless. Close, but no cigar....
jamesa.JPG

That said I agree the double halo soleste, or the schlumberger is more TIFFANY screaming. Maybe you do go see the store manager to see if another exchange is even possible. If its not possible, no need to upset the Fiance. Its hard to make these decisions under pressure for sure...

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty halo. Is it distinct in that anyone can say it's a Tiffany design? I would say no. If your preference is to have an immediately identifiable ring like Cartier's Ballerine, then you need to figure out how to refund and start fresh. IMHO, Tiffany's double-halo Soleste that you returned is a much more distinct Tiffany design.

Thanks for your opinion! I agree that the double halo soleste is much more distinctively Tiffany. I just didn't like the cushion cut on me, so I was going to opt for the round, but the SA told me that the round double halo was out of my price point. Maybe I'll just upgrade the band later on?

In this situation, I think you really need to speak with your FI. If it's causing you this much stress what appears to be over a month after your engagement, it isn't the ring for you. Sometimes men can be super dense and it's feeling like this may be one of those times.

When you went back after the initial proposal were you not given the Schlumberger as an option? If that was the ring you wanted, what happened at the store that made you pick something else?

I appreciate your insights about addressing this issue with my FI. I think the only reason to address it with him is if there's a chance that something could change. If there's nothing that can change, than I'm kinda stuck with the ring at this point.
I didn't pick the Schlumberger because even the 1 carat with that setting was about 3 - 4 k out of his price range that I learned about afterwards.
So, I was in a rush to choose something, anything, that might match one or two of my criteria.

well its really beautiful and the construction is seamless. I love how it just appears to be just diamonds, not lots of clunky metal. No gaps etc. The melee is much higher quality than you would find at Costco, im sure, and the ring will hold its resale value more so than an unbranded piece. Call the store for sure, but if you are stuck with this beautiful ring, I assure you there are much worse problems one can have! lol. it doesnt have to be your last ring ever on this earth, and down the road you could do the trade in for your dream distinct tiffany ring.
For instance, here is James Allen version. Note the gap between the centerstone and halo, and the distinct lines/gaps between all the pave in the halo (and thats with pro photography!) its just not as seamless. Close, but no cigar....
jamesa.JPG

That said I agree the double halo soleste, or the schlumberger is more TIFFANY screaming. Maybe you do go see the store manager to see if another exchange is even possible. If its not possible, no need to upset the Fiance. Its hard to make these decisions under pressure for sure...
Thanks very much for all of your insight and helpful comments. It's all the wonderful folks, like yourself, who take the time to post and help out strangers that re-affirms my faith in humanity :D

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me see some of those details in the soleste vs other manufacturers (who are still wonderful, but it's just different).

Your viewpoints are very helpful to me!

Thanks again!!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gotta say, you have "the" ring that most people would die for. The soleste is coveted and often copied with very poor results. It looks beautiful on you and is a very substantial size on your fingers. The diamond also has very desired specs. But that's just my opinion. If you truly don't want it, I would list it on LT- tiffany is highly sought after and it is the holiday season? But the FIRST thing I would do is go to Tiffany alone and find out your return options if they even exist at this point...

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I gotta say, you have "the" ring that most people would die for. The soleste is coveted and often copied with very poor results. It looks beautiful on you and is a very substantial size on your fingers. The diamond also has very desired specs. But that's just my opinion. If you truly don't want it, I would list it on LT- tiffany is highly sought after and it is the holiday season? But the FIRST thing I would do is go to Tiffany alone and find out your return options if they even exist at this point...

Thanks for your reply! I must say, I got so much flack from folks about the ring, I questioned everything.
I figured if there was anyone that could tell me straight up how this diamond/setting stacks up against everything else, it would be folks on this forum.
I really appreciate your opinion. Thanks for taking the time to help me recognize the beauty in what I've got!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the stone out, sell the setting on loupe troop and have a new setting custom made.

Or keep it and eventually get a rocking right hand ring. Or move this one to the right hand eventually and get a new wedding set.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo is pretty and I agree w/ soxfan most girls would go ga-ga for it.

The Schlumberger rings are gorgeous but pricey. It sounds like the distinctive settings you are attracted to may have been out of your FI's budget. Is saving toward a future upgrade to one of the more distinctive Tiffany rings in a few years an option? That way you can enjoy this one in the meanwhile, and you might be surprised that it grows on you.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would take the stone out, sell the setting on loupe troop and have a new setting custom made.

Or keep it and eventually get a rocking right hand ring. Or move this one to the right hand eventually and get a new wedding set.

I was wondering about that option. But, at this point, I'd rather just sell everything intact and start again.

I agree with your other ideas = right hand ring and/or get a new wedding set. But boy, that would be way down the line :mrgreen2:

The halo is pretty and I agree w/ soxfan most girls would go ga-ga for it.

The Schlumberger rings are gorgeous but pricey. It sounds like the distinctive settings you are attracted to may have been out of your FI's budget. Is saving toward a future upgrade to one of the more distinctive Tiffany rings in a few years an option? That way you can enjoy this one in the meanwhile, and you might be surprised that it grows on you.

Yes, I guess my tastes for unique things also comes at a higher cost when it's from those brand names. We had discussed at the time a higher budget and he was accepting of purchasing what I really wanted. So, I suppose part of all of this is me still reeling from everything.

I guess I'll just tuck money away every month for my own upgrade. I'm looking at 20k, so that might be a three - four years down the road, but it's possible!

Of course, if I can find a great 2+ carat and a good setting on the second hand market, then maybe I don't need to do the upgrade if the costs are significantly less (I might tap pricescopers on the shoulder when the time comes).

I hope this ring grows on me a bit.
I just dislike all the comments about how I could have had a much larger non-branded ring for the same price etc etc.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, I thought you meant you had the Tiffany solitaire, as well. I would not take the stone out of that setting because that setting has a lot more value than the plain solitaire setting. The ring as a whole has a lot more value than its parts.

I vastly prefer the single halo setting over the double for an engagement ring. The double halo looks like either a right hand ring or someone really trying hard to make their diamond look bigger. So I think you definitely made the best choice! It's beautiful!

I do think your very best chance for the refund would have been when you immediately returned the first ring. The purchase date of the first one possibly would start your return period. So reselling with a loss of up to 20% is maybe your only option at this point.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've never heard of a Tiffany ring being called "generic" before...

I suppose what I mean is that there's quite a few folks that have said "oh, my xyz has the SAME ring" to me in regards to my ring. So, I cringe when those statements are made because I'm usually not that type of person to get what everyone else has.

But, I see what you mean. Thanks for your reply and helping me gain perspective!!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just dislike all the comments about how I could have had a much larger non-branded ring for the same price etc etc.

Who is telling you that? Your friends?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring! You said you got flack over it? Would you mind sharing why anyone in their right mind would talk badly about your gorgeous ring?

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ohh, I thought you meant you had the Tiffany solitaire, as well. I would not take the stone out of that setting because that setting has a lot more value than the plain solitaire setting. The ring as a whole has a lot more value than its parts.

I vastly prefer the single halo setting over the double for an engagement ring. The double halo looks like either a right hand ring or someone really trying hard to make their diamond look bigger. So I think you definitely made the best choice! It's beautiful!

I do think your very best chance for the refund would have been when you immediately returned the first ring. The purchase date of the first one possibly would start your return period. So reselling with a loss of up to 20% is maybe your only option at this point.

Not a problem!
Thanks for giving me your advice.
If I lose up to 20% of the value, that would be tough. I just don't know if the return value of the ring after the 20% discount would provide me with enough funds to get something larger and more original for my tastes.

Though, I think you're right. Resale might be the best/only option.
I was looking on here for places to re-sell. Seems like it's either listing it myself or consignment.

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was wondering about that option. But, at this point, I'd rather just sell everything intact and start again.

I agree with your other ideas = right hand ring and/or get a new wedding set. But boy, that would be way down the line :mrgreen2:

Yes, I guess my tastes for unique things also comes at a higher cost when it's from those brand names. We had discussed at the time a higher budget and he was accepting of purchasing what I really wanted. So, I suppose part of all of this is me still reeling from everything.

I guess I'll just tuck money away every month for my own upgrade. I'm looking at 20k, so that might be a three - four years down the road, but it's possible!

Of course, if I can find a great 2+ carat and a good setting on the second hand market, then maybe I don't need to do the upgrade if the costs are significantly less (I might tap pricescopers on the shoulder when the time comes).

I hope this ring grows on me a bit.

I understand the comments being grating, as I get them too. But a few things to note- 1) you could have had something similar but not The Same. The craftsmanship is not hype 2) branded rings hold their value better should you want to sell down the line 3) you are backed by THE American luxury jewelry house that has been going strong for nearly 200 years and you get to enjoy service at Tiffany whenever you are near one. Are these things worth a few extra thousands? For some hell no, for me and my DH- yes. He NEVER would have bought a ring online. Never. Regardless of savings. And I could trust that he would go into Tiffany and come out with something glorious blindfolded. There are no duds. For your Fiance it was worth it too, and you agreed before the comments.

Diamonds are just expensive decor anyway right? There is no practical diamond purchase period. They serve no practical purpose. So who cares that you "wasted" a few k (although its not a waste, the brand is valuable). From a truly practical perspective the whole thing is a waste. If you resell it, then you certianly will be wasting money. Whats the point if you end up with 70% of purchase price (if youre lucky). That wont get you to Schlumberger price point... not to mention the upset in your relationship.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Who is telling you that? Your friends?

I love your ring! You said you got flack over it? Would you mind sharing why anyone in their right mind would talk badly about your gorgeous ring?

You folks bring a smile to my face! Thanks for being outraged for me!
It's mainly colleagues, my family (parents/siblings), some acquaintances etc.
They all say my FI overpaid, is foolish by going brand name for the price, and that no one will ever know what we have and all they see is an ordinary ring that doesn't have extraordinary specs etc.
I just don't know what to say back.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You folks bring a smile to my face!
It's mainly colleagues, my family (parents/siblings), some acquaintances etc.
They all say my FI overpaid, is foolish by going brand name for the price, and that no one will ever know what we have and all they see is an ordinary ring that doesn't have extraordinary specs etc.
I just don't know what to say back.

Oh! I get it now. :lol::lol::lol:

They are JEALOUS. I can tell you that I can tell the difference between a tiffany soleste from any other brick and mortar jewelry store. And so can most pricescopers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results