shape
carat
color
clarity

Fave Nail Polishes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/1/2006 3:42:09 PM
Author: Mara
...also, what is the retail on essie colors?? that 8ty8 place has essie for $3.50...is that a good price? i only go into the store and buy 3 or 4 about once every year so unfortunately i am the worst about remembering what i paid. seems like if retail is like $7 or something and you buy even just 2 that the $6 shipping evens out. so that said anyone know what essie retails for typically?

$7.00 retail. Same for OPI, sometimes $7.50 per bottle.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
the shoes are on Saks or Neimas web sites. Go to designer index andlook up Dolce and Gabbana shoes....they are the black lace peep toes with the bow and crystals...patent skinny heels...the dress is on the Carolina Hererra web site, under collections, and it is shown on a model wearing black tights and the dress is shown in a light beigey color and has black lace on it...if you have trouble let know, it is a tough site to navigate...I got it in the chocolate brown and it was really much prettier

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christa, once you are on her site, click Carolina Herrara New York. Then click "collections". This music comes on and you should see smaller photos around the top and right side, with a bigger photo in the center. Move the arrow at the top and the pictures should move around. When you see the black lace in the smaller photo click on it. It says Doutzen and the model has black tights on and that should be it. It looked really great though the shoes were killing me before the end of the night, and my toes were numb. I was happy in a short dressy dress though, and thought it looked great, but 4 or 5 other women were in dark brown which was kinda funny...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2006 1:58:05 PM
Author: Oleander

Date: 9/30/2006 6:45:13 PM
Author: Christa
You''re not butting in! Thanks for the links . . . love the prices on 8ty8! It says there that their minimum shipping charge is $6, but I don''t see any more info than that. Do you usually order several items from them at once? What do you think of their shipping charges?

I do tend to ''save up'' my polish choices and order about 6-8 bottles (including top coat, base coat, treatments, etc.) all at once to make the $6 shipping worth its weight. If I only want one color, well, I usually suck it up and pay full retail at the local Ulta or salon. But I am such a lover of polish, I can rarely refuse the new season''s colors!
1.gif

Both sites are very friendly in responding to e-mails concerning shipping charges and optional insurance charges (I forget if UPS or USPS doesn''t insure, so if you would be upset about breakage, then the insurance is a good option--I don''t use it. It''s a gamble I am willing to take). So e-mail them if you are wondering if shipping might be too high for more than 6-7 bottles.
So for 6-8 bottles it''s still just $6 shipping? If so, that''s a great deal--according to my math that''s about $4 a bottle! Wow, good thing I''m on a nail polish moratorium.
3.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Mara, if you didn''t already see these, page 3 of this thread has some pics of Essie Wicked and OPI Mrs. O''Leary''s BBQ . . .

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2006 5:10:29 PM
Author: diamondfan
the shoes are on Saks or Neimas web sites. Go to designer index andlook up Dolce and Gabbana shoes....they are the black lace peep toes with the bow and crystals...patent skinny heels...the dress is on the Carolina Hererra web site, under collections, and it is shown on a model wearing black tights and the dress is shown in a light beigey color and has black lace on it...if you have trouble let know, it is a tough site to navigate...I got it in the chocolate brown and it was really much prettier
30.gif
Love the shoes, Diamondfan, and I think I found the dress. Is it the one with the kind of v-shaped lace detail on the bodice?

Sigh . . . I''d love to have "events" to dress up for once in a while.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
AHHHHHHHHH. Christa that is totally what I was looking for. I was getting overwhelmed reading through the posts, haha I totally missed it. Thanks super sleuth!

So far in my cart I have:

OPI Don't Socra-tease Me! (i have gotten this at the salon before and while on it's own it's a little hookeriffic for me...but when i put a coat of 'room with a view' from Essie on it, which pearlizes it and pinks it a bit, it's SUPER cute for late summer color.
OPI Smok'n In Havana (i got this last month at the salon, and posted some pictures in my 2.32 thread, it's a nice dark brownish reddish bronze)
Essie 570, Clutch Me If You Can (described on various websites as a great fall 06 color and a 'super dark wine red'
Essie 489 Lady Godiva
ESSIE 252 Chocolate Kisses
ESSIE 436 Leave it to Diva

I seem to be overdosing on the dark browns but its so hard to see the EXACT COLOR on the website. So Lady Godiva, Choco Kisses and LITD seem to all be browns, I think I should narrow it down???? HMM. Choco kisses was recommended on various websites but the others look intriguing. That 8ty8 site does not have the Dark Choco Truffle, WAH!

I'll totally add Essie Wicked, that looks awesome for fall! It looks better than in the bottle picture for sure.

Oleander, yes good Q...when you order about 6-8 things is shipping still $6 for you? Where do you live? I'm in CA so I figure it's the most expensive to ship over here...but nail polishes are tiny so I also figure what can it really be? Max $10 and even that is still a deal if I buy 8 or 9 things.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, that is the one! It is even prettier in the brown...

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/1/2006 5:53:05 PM
...Oleander, yes good Q...when you order about 6-8 things is shipping still $6 for you? Where do you live? I'm in CA so I figure it's the most expensive to ship over here...but nail polishes are tiny so I also figure what can it really be? Max $10 and even that is still a deal if I buy 8 or 9 things.

I am in IL. I asked on the nail messageboard I post on regularly and so far they responded:

"for me about 10 since i am across the country and after 1lb, priority goes by zip and weight" (AZ)
"20ish (about 5 lbs) but you have to use UPS." (VA)
"13 was 6 but 25 was $8 or 9" (NV)

8ty8 will e-mail you the shipping charges I believe. And Tom, who works there is good about answering e-mails about shipping charges.

And Wicked is one of my faves for dark colors!!

Don't forget to look at that Japanese site I mentioned to see pics of the colors on the nails here . Happy shopping!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Oleander! I am also comparison shopping at the other place you posted. They seem to have pretty similar setups...they both don''t calculate shipping til after as well. The first place has 3.19 for essie but OPI is like 4.29 compared to 8ty8 which is 3.50 and 3.98. Depending on shipping the first place you posted is slightly cheaper since I am buying about 5 Essie''s and only 2 OPI''s.

WOW I am so glad you posted that Leave it to Diva color because it looks WAY different than I imagined!!! Lady Godiva is more what I had in mind. The Clutch one looks good too...but 3 coats? Ugh! I hate waiting for stuff to dry. hahaa.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/1/2006 7:23:19 PM
Thanks Oleander! I am also comparison shopping at the other place you posted. They seem to have pretty similar setups...they both don''t calculate shipping til after as well. The first place has 3.19 for essie but OPI is like 4.29 compared to 8ty8 which is 3.50 and 3.98. Depending on shipping the first place you posted is slightly cheaper since I am buying about 5 Essie''s and only 2 OPI''s.

WOW I am so glad you posted that Leave it to Diva color because it looks WAY different than I imagined!!! Lady Godiva is more what I had in mind. The Clutch one looks good too...but 3 coats? Ugh! I hate waiting for stuff to dry. hahaa.

If I am buying a lot of OPI''s, I tend to buy from the cheaper OPI seller, and also for Essie. Sometimes it just gets too complicated and I order from whoever.

Waiting for polish to dry? Never! Seche Vite top coat is your friend.
1.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2006 7:35:09 PM

If I am buying a lot of OPI's, I tend to buy from the cheaper OPI seller, and also for Essie. Sometimes it just gets too complicated and I order from whoever.

Waiting for polish to dry? Never! Seche Vite top coat is your friend.
1.gif
So, tell me about Seche Vite, Oleander or anyone else who uses it. I've been using a Sally Hansen quick-drying top coat that I'm actually pretty happy with--my only problem is that since it's quick-drying you can NOT make a mistake with it, and I can never use up more than 1/2 the bottle before it thickens up too much to use. So recently during my flurry of Essie-buying I got an Essie top coat and their "Quick-E drying drops", and I have to say for what I paid for them I'm underwhelmed. The drying drops don't dry as quickly and completely as I'd hoped.
8.gif
I keep seeing that people like the SV, though . . .

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I noticed in my internet travels today that SV was recommended on pratically every site I visited. It''s also listed as something like the #1 selling top coat? Can I use it for base coat too? I don''t like having to use 20 diff products, I was looking at the tempting 3 in 1 that Essie had but maybe it''s not so great after all. And I read with the super dark colors you have to have a base coat so your nails don''t get stained. I got a really great top coat from the local beauty salon but I can''t find it and I can''t for the life of me remember what it was!! argh.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
I read about the wonders of Seche Vite on another board and had to try it. It is fabulous, but takes some practice. First of all, I *have* to use a base coat, or you can peel my polish off in sheets (which is so bad for the nail), second, you have to apply it to *WET* polish and you use a lot. I will try and explain. When I use nail polish, I apply by using the bottom half of the brush, it spreads, applying the polish. With the Seche Vite, I apply it using the full length of the brush, but on it''s side, you need almost a "droplet" on the end of the brush. It has the most glossy, wonderful finish, and seriously, base coat, 3 layers of polish and Seche Vite, 15 minutes later I can go to bed and not wake up with the dreaded sheet marks! It''s about $8.00 per bottle and it does get gloppy fast, invest $5 in Nailtek''s Extend product. Very good thinner. Seche Vite makes one as well but the girl at the store said to finish the Nailtek, it''s just as good as the Seche Vite Thinning product.

I wish you well,

Bridget

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, Seche Vite makes a base coat. I haven''t used it, I have the Essie Adhesive Basecoat or something like that. But the Seche Vite top coat can''t really be used as a base coat.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Christa

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 10/1/2006 7:59:46 PM
Author: Bridget S.
I read about the wonders of Seche Vite on another board and had to try it. It is fabulous, but takes some practice. First of all, I *have* to use a base coat, or you can peel my polish off in sheets (which is so bad for the nail), second, you have to apply it to *WET* polish and you use a lot. I will try and explain. When I use nail polish, I apply by using the bottom half of the brush, it spreads, applying the polish. With the Seche Vite, I apply it using the full length of the brush, but on it's side, you need almost a 'droplet' on the end of the brush. It has the most glossy, wonderful finish, and seriously, base coat, 3 layers of polish and Seche Vite, 15 minutes later I can go to bed and not wake up with the dreaded sheet marks! It's about $8.00 per bottle and it does get gloppy fast, invest $5 in Nailtek's Extend product. Very good thinner. Seche Vite makes one as well but the girl at the store said to finish the Nailtek, it's just as good as the Seche Vite Thinning product.

I wish you well,

Bridget
Hmmm, sounds complicated. Does it really dry several layers of polish completely? That's what I was hoping the drying drops would do, but they just seem to dry the surface--they don't prevent sheet prints.

ETA: I really think a good base coat is a must for making the polish last longer. I'm currently using Essie's ridge-filling base coat. I don't have ridges, but it makes a nice smooth surface and adds a layer of thickening, which I like because may nails tend to be thin and soft. And honestly--that, 3 coats of Essie polish, and a top coat lasts a good week if I refresh the top coat every 2 or 3 days.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, it dries my base coat, 3 layers of polish in 10 minutes, I leave it 15 minutes to be safe, no sheet prints. It really is remarkable. Took a few tries to get it right and it dries super shiny and glossy.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Seche Vite will thicken like all quick-drying top coats do. Usually happens to me around the last 1/3 of the bottle. I either add thinner or I apply very carefully after it thickens so as not to drag the colored polish, and keep adding layers quickly before it cures. Then I give up and start a new bottle. BTW, after adding thinner, the "quick-dry" aspect is lessened a bit.

SV does an awesome job of drying all layers of polish, shines and reflects like a piece of glass, and wears well. It will not adhere to natural nails, so it cannot be used as a base coat. It also does not adhere to dry polish--can''t use as a a "refresher" top coat several days after your manicure (I use Poshe top coat or Orly Magnifique for that). SV _must_ be applied to wet polish, you need to have a substantial ball of product on the brush, and lay it down on the nail with as little and as light of stroking as possible. Allow the product to self-level as much as possible. Too much brushing makes an uneven surface, bubbles, etc. Basically you just gently lay it on the nail and let it do most of the work for you. Should be dry in 3-5 minutes; 10 minutes later you can essentially act "normal" with your hands. It sounds difficult, but it''s not. Truly, no sheet marks when I go to bed an hour after I began my manicure (so maybe 30 minutes after finishing).

Bridget did an awesome job of describing it--I just read it, sorry to have repeated above.
3.gif

I like Seche Clear base coat--no DBP, F, or T, and it does a good job. Creative Nail Design Stickey is the best, but it made my nails peel. Some like Orly Bonder--it''s rubberized and sticky like Stickey, and works well.

Mara: Did you use Out the Door at the salon? That''s similar, but SV is much glassier in appearance.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
So, Seche Vite people, how long does your manicure last? Do you use something else as a refresher top coat between manicures?

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
3 - 4 days usually. I do not use any other topcoats between manicures.

I wish you well,

Bridget

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2006 11:12:40 AM
So, Seche Vite people, how long does your manicure last? Do you use something else as a refresher top coat between manicures?

C, I usually can go one week, but there is chipping and wear by then. But it does help, and if I can go twice a week (I have a lot of cuticle when I go, so I could do twice a week easily) then my nails look really good.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I''m a manicure DIY-er, but it lasts a full week with the products I''m using currently. Not sure I want to mess with that.
4.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2006 6:58:12 PM

Don''t forget to look at that Japanese site I mentioned to see pics of the colors on the nails here . Happy shopping!
1.gif
Oleander, I''m website-challenged
40.gif
and don''t know which link on that website to go to in order to find the colors on the nails. I tried the Essie Autumn link, but that only had pictures of the bottles.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/2/2006 11:12:40 AM

3-4 days. I usually tire of the color by then anyway, but I think polish becomes tired and worn-looking at around 3-4 days. If I have a lot of scratches on the shiny surface or the finish dulls too much (hair product is a big culprit), I typically use Poshe Fast Drying top coat as a refresher. Unlike SV, it will adhere to dry polish. The reason I prefer SV as my quick-dry: Poshe has a tendency to bubble occasionally on wet polish (for me) and while it''s very very shiny, it''s not as substantial and thick of a shine as SV. But it''s very close. Might be worth a try to use only Poshe for both quick-dry and refresher in case it works well for you; then you only have one product.

I also use Orly Magnifique on pink/nude sheers as a refresher. It''s got good gloss as well.

Whatever you do, don''t buy Essie Shine-E. I have tried two bottles thinking I got a bad one--no, it stink. Bubbles every time. And others I know have had the same problem with it.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/2/2006 12:37:46 PM
Author: Kim N
Date: 10/1/2006 6:58:12 PM

Don't forget to look at that Japanese site I mentioned to see pics of the colors on the nails here . Happy shopping!
1.gif

Oleander, I'm website-challenged
40.gif
and don't know which link on that website to go to in order to find the colors on the nails. I tried the Essie Autumn link, but that only had pictures of the bottles.

It's hard if you don't read Japanese, isn't it? I had to run the site through Babelfish the first time to get the lay of the land.
1.gif
On the main page, scroll down to the area of boxes with the pink-filled boxes on the left side, and Japanese characters on the right. In the first row with a pink-filled box you will see "OPI", "Nubar", "Zoya", etc. The first Japanese writing to the left of "OPI" is Essie:

Essie

They don't have _all_ colors ever made, but at least most of the colors released in the last two years. Some of the bottles will not result in a pop-up window. Then you have to click on the Japanese character link in blue below the bottle. It will take you to another page and you can click on the bottle picture there for an image of the polish on nails. Occasionally there's no link, because the polish was discontinued; There's a way around that: find another color in the same seasonal collection and click on the blue wriitng link to get to that season's page. Proceed as mentioned above.

Basically I just clicked on everything to see where it would lead me. Some of those links go to pages where they grouped polishes in color families, show nail art (some of it is amazingly intricate--not something I wear or see in my social and cultural circle, but impressive to me none-the-less), or nail decals/jewels.

I hope this helped you a little. Ask again if you have troubles, please.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, Oleander! That helped immensely, and I was able to see the colors on the nails. Thanks again!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad I''m not the only one who couldn''t figure out the Japanese site! Now that it''s been explained . . . wow, that is a great resource! So hard to guess what a color really looks like by on online in-the-bottle-picture.

Oh, and my Quarter of a Cent-Cherry came today, and I have it on my toes already. I usually wear pretty light or muted colors, so it''s a bit of a shock, but it''s a really, really pretty color. A nice, clear, true blood red--not orange-y or brownish, but not screamingly bright either. I may have to work up to wearing it on my hands, though . . .

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i just came upon this color as i was surfing and thought you nailpolish lovers might enjoy.

it''s a slightly different option for those wanting fall/dark polish -- though i''m not too certain how it''d look.

essiepolish.jpg
it''s called clutch me if you can and it''s a chocolate brown. hmmm

i tend to non-pink, more cream neutrals...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a picture of Clutch Me if You Can from that handy Japanese site. Looks a lot redder than in the bottle!

Essie570u.jpg

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I kind of like the look of this one--Sassy Satchel. Dark, but it wouldn''t be mistaken for black.

Essie573u.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results