shape
carat
color
clarity

Fave Nail Polishes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Make sure you use the coupon from the ULTA website. It''s usually $3.50 off $10 or 20% off your entire purchase. I constantly have one in my wallet in case I find myself at ULTA. (which is usually pretty often!)

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
I always have some polish on my nails at all times, but sometimes, when my nails are particularly even and lookin'' gooood, I like clear polish. It seems that *a lot* of the colours of polish have a yellow base and your nails look yellow. If you want white nails, invest in a $0.29 "nail block" (for want of a better term). It''s a soft foam core with various grit emery boards on the outside. If you use the fine/ superfine one, and go over the top of the nail - as they do if you have a manicure. This takes off a *tiny* layer of nail, but enough that the layer that is yellow, is the layer that is filed off. Viola! white, sparkly nails! It also keeps peeling in check for me, because it smooths out the nail before it really has a chance to peel. I don''t do this every time I change polish. Usually just once a week or once every two weeks.

I wish you well,

Bridget

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2006 2:30:42 AM
Author: diamondfan
Monarch, you will kill me but if you go on rescuenails.com they have a kit that you can buy that has three items ,a base and top coat and something else that goes on BEFORE the base coat and helps make sure that polishes do not yellow the nail. I bought it, along with the polish in style voted best nude and I will bring it to each manicure or leave it at the place I go the most. read what it says and see what you think...
diamondfan, I tried "rescuenails.com" and couldn''t find the site...I did a search then for "rescue nails" and I think I found the products you''re speaking of...for $48, LOL! I will keep them in mind in case this stuff I bought doesn''t have a positive effect, thanks!

Jelly, I did use my $3.50 coupon, yay! I don''t usually shop there (or anywhere) without ''em!

Bridget, I''ve tried buffing my nails with a block, and it hasn''t helped, unfortunately.
7.gif
I thought that would be the easiest route, of course, but when I''ve tried it, I still see a yellow tinge on my newly buffed nails! Very frustrating, because you''d think the yellow would kinda be like a suntan on your skin and would "rub off" as you exfoliate it. Apparently that is not the case with my nails...thanks for your advice, though!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just keep it in mind for next time. I ordered it and will be happy to let you know what I think. I would not buff too much off your nail because it can weaken the nail. Also, buff in one direction only because that can also cause damage to the nail if you buff in both directions...

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
So, a silly question: But is ULTA like a Sephora? We don''t have those in Michigan I don''t believe.... just wondering.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Ulta is similar to Sephora, but Ulta carries a lot of the drug-store brands and only a few of the higher-end brands. Ulta has a huge selection of shampoo & hair products whereas Sephora is more cosmetics/fragrance oriented.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 6:54:30 PM
Author: Giada
Ulta is similar to Sephora, but Ulta carries a lot of the drug-store brands and only a few of the higher-end brands. Ulta has a huge selection of shampoo & hair products whereas Sephora is more cosmetics/fragrance oriented.

Ulta is lower end (I would say). It does have high end products don''t get me wrong but not like Sephora. Like Giada said Ulta also has lots of hair stuff (flat irons, blow dryers, curling irons....) Sephoras are in malls and Ulta in strip malls (outside) Both are fun to play in
31.gif
and both can get you into lots of trouble.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Buffing doesn''t get the yellow off for me, either. I also have thin/soft nails to start with so I don''t want to do anything to weaken them more. Honestly the yellow doesn''t bother me that much since I prefer to keep them polished anyway, but if there was something not too expensive that could fix it I''d definitely try it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ulta is really close to my neighborhood, whereas Sephora is at least a 20-min. drive through high traffic...so I don''t go there too often. Ulta does carry Essie and OPI, which is what I was looking for, plus I had an Ulta coupon for (a paltry) $3.50, but STILL, lol! I got the lemon brightening nail scrub for $4.99 there and it seems to have helped, although I will have to let you know for sure when I do a polish change in the next few days...

Very happy with my Essie purchases, though. I''m still wearing my Ballet Slippers, and I think the Seche Vite base and top coat have helped tremendously.
35.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
So someone on here plugged enailsupply.com and I cracked and made a large purchase. They are offering a deal of no shipping costs with orders $55.00 and over. Thought I''d share - I got 12 OPI and Essie polishes! They do have great prices, especially since when I did buy my Mademoiselle originally, I paid $7.00 - on this site it lists it as $5.20. A good deal
36.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 11:48:44 PM
Christa, I loved it in the salon, you have to tell me if you get it. I have a pedicure next week and am going to a black tie event, my dress is short, chocolate brown satin with black lace and my shoes are black with peep toes, in lace. I thought the dark red would be stunning and I am tired of the light pale pink I have been wearing all summer. It is a really gorgeous shade, I do like red in general anyway but this was soooo pretty when I saw the bottle I knew it was going on my toes next! Web pictures are no good, it looks better in person.
Diamondfan, did you ever get to try out the Quarter of a Cent-Cherry? Just wondering if you liked it as much on your nails as in the bottle.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going to get a manicure and pedicure tomorrow and I am going to use it on my feet for sure. I usually do pale pink polish more sheer on the fingers since it holds up better with three kids and a dog! But, I am tempted to do the red on hands for Sat night''s event and then get another mani on Monday and go back to my old faithful. I just thought this was one of the most stunning reds, deep but not plum or burgundy and really pretty on my fair skin. Cannot decide if I want to do the nails red though, cause I am not sure if I want to do a red lip with neutral eyes or smoky eyes and a pale lip, so I am just not sure yet I do not want the nails to clash...did you get to see it yet?

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Go for it! Red everywhere!
9.gif
I admit, I just want you to do some research for me and report back . . . I do think it would be gorgeous with your outfit, though.

ETA: No, I haven't seen it yet. I don't have a store that carries it nearby.
8.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Every store I go in that carries it is sold out of it, it is that pretty, You might have to break down and get it. I LOVE my dress and shoes and thought red would be nice with chocolate brown, since it is not a bright or orangey red...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 2:00:18 AM
Every store I go in that carries it is sold out of it, it is that pretty, You might have to break down and get it. I LOVE my dress and shoes and thought red would be nice with chocolate brown, since it is not a bright or orangey red...
I just might . . . it''s pretty sad the percentage of my wardrobe that''s brown. I have to keep reminding my self that there are other colors when I''m shopping. I''d love to hear what you decide tomorrow, though, and what you think of it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will let you know for sure. I also love brown, and wear it a lot. This dress was apparently shown on the runway in a weird color, at least bad for me, like a mushroom tone with the black lace. Then Saks wanted it done in dark brown and the designer did it and loved it so she made it in brown for her boutiques. I had the most insane time trying to track one down in the dark brown. I really did not like the other color at all. Then I found these gorgeous lace pumps with the peep toe and it all came together!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, I wish I could see the whole ensemble! Black tie events are all but nonexistent in my life, so I have to live vicariously through PS.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no photos of it all but the dress and the shoes are on line if you want to see them! I threw this together in a couple of days once I decided on the dress, because nothing was looking great on me that I owned and of course, when you need a specific thing it seems like you cannot find it. I was starting to get worried but it all worked out. I seem to have events like this in spurts and it is challenging to find the right stuff since I see the same group in some mix or another at almost all the events, it is a small community here and there is so much overlap...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christa, I LOVE the red on my toes. Did not put it on my fingers but I already got some compliments on it today!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2006 4:05:17 PM
Author: Rosebud8506
So someone on here plugged enailsupply.com and I cracked and made a large purchase. They are offering a deal of no shipping costs with orders $55.00 and over. Thought I''d share - I got 12 OPI and Essie polishes! They do have great prices, especially since when I did buy my Mademoiselle originally, I paid $7.00 - on this site it lists it as $5.20. A good deal
36.gif
I wonder how often they offer this deal? I have placed myself on shopping restriction for the next month or so (we''ll be going on some fun weekend trips and I need to save my spending money for those, he hee), but I would love to take advantage of this deal towards Christmas--I don''t really need 12 more bottles of polish, but would love to get some for friends/co-workers! I did take a look at the website, and they have so much more than just polishes...drool!

Rosebud, have you been shopping enailsupply for long? Do you know how often they do the free shipping? Even without the free shipping, $5.20 is a great deal for Essie!

Christa and Diamondfan, you have me intrigued about this Quarter of a Cent Cherry! I am a big fan of browns as well, but DH hates bright reds...also, my skin has yellow undertones and I have to be careful about the right red shades. It''s so hard to tell from the websites exactly what the shades will look like in reality, I guess I will have to look for this shade next time I go shopping for nail polish.
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monarch, I am moderately fair with blondish hair and I think it is a stunning shade of red. Deep but not dark and you can see it is red, it just looks rich and not bright. Certainly worth a look!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 11:13:38 PM
Monarch, I am moderately fair with blondish hair and I think it is a stunning shade of red. Deep but not dark and you can see it is red, it just looks rich and not bright. Certainly worth a look!
Me too--fair with used-to-be-blonde hair and pink undertones to my skin. Orange-y reds look ick on me, but I can do a true red with a blue undertone. You guys are way too enabling . . . I''m afraid I''m going to have to get it.
11.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I just ordered it . . . and now I''m putting myself on a nail polish moratorium! In case anyone wants to know, I ordered it from eBay seller Eraway--I haven''t used them before, but their prices are very reasonable and I looked them up on Toolhaus . . . 530 feedback with zero negatives or neutrals. Pretty impressive!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you like it when you get it. I really have been on the hunt for the perfect fall red, so I am happy to have found it!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I hope so too! BTW, I don''t know about anyone else, but I''d love to see the links to your outfit.
3.gif

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
I'm a newcomer to this thread (have only posted a few times on the diamond pages), but love nail polish, so I hope you all don't mind my butting in here.
1.gif
If you like the prices at enailsupply, and aren't opposed to buying polish via the internet, then I _highly_ recommend the following sites:

Head2Toe Beauty
I have been to this company's actual store in Chicagoland. It's a nice couple who run it. I have also ordered online; competitive pricing, day-of or next-day shipping, great packaging, awesome selection of products.

8ty8 Beauty
I've ordered from here many times as well. They are located in New York City area somewhere. Again, great prices, immediate shipping, good customer service, etc.

To see many polish colors on actual nails, I recommend looking at this Japanese site . You have to know the polish color number, but it's so helpful to see the colors on a hand. Caveat: I think the nails are acrylics, and sometimes color on natural nails looks slightly different. Just click on the polish bottle for a pop-up window of the color on the nails.

Happy nail painting!
1.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
You''re not butting in! Thanks for the links . . . love the prices on 8ty8! It says there that their minimum shipping charge is $6, but I don''t see any more info than that. Do you usually order several items from them at once? What do you think of their shipping charges?

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/30/2006 6:45:13 PM
Author: Christa
You''re not butting in! Thanks for the links . . . love the prices on 8ty8! It says there that their minimum shipping charge is $6, but I don''t see any more info than that. Do you usually order several items from them at once? What do you think of their shipping charges?

I do tend to "save up" my polish choices and order about 6-8 bottles (including top coat, base coat, treatments, etc.) all at once to make the $6 shipping worth its weight. If I only want one color, well, I usually suck it up and pay full retail at the local Ulta or salon. But I am such a lover of polish, I can rarely refuse the new season''s colors!
1.gif

Both sites are very friendly in responding to e-mails concerning shipping charges and optional insurance charges (I forget if UPS or USPS doesn''t insure, so if you would be upset about breakage, then the insurance is a good option--I don''t use it. It''s a gamble I am willing to take). So e-mail them if you are wondering if shipping might be too high for more than 6-7 bottles.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay on our various nail polishes thread i am getting a little confused. there''s so much activity!

so can someone post what they are using for their fall dark purples or browns or burgundies? since those are the ''in'' fall colors, i am tempted to try a few of them. i remember someone recommended one they were wearing and i can''t find the recommendation.

i see essie has a bunch of browns and burgundies and darkish colors...any recommends for olive skin?

also, what is the retail on essie colors?? that 8ty8 place has essie for $3.50...is that a good price? i only go into the store and buy 3 or 4 about once every year so unfortunately i am the worst about remembering what i paid. seems like if retail is like $7 or something and you buy even just 2 that the $6 shipping evens out. so that said anyone know what essie retails for typically?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay gotta love the internet. i just did a search for fall 2006 essie dark polish and i got a ton of hits.

http://themakeupgirl.blogspot.com/2006/08/trend-watch-dark-nail-polish.html

That shortie article kind of summarizes the fall trend for dark polishes. Chanel Vamp was the first polish in 1994 to be dark and daring it seems.

apparently in my online travels i also found out that Chanel Rouge Noir is the European version of Vamp so if you want to try it...and don't want to wait for a month for Neimans or wherever to get in 2 bottles of Vamp, try finding Rouge Noir which apparently they said in another article is easy to find online.

here are some other picks that people posted about in various forums about the Fall 2006 dark n'lovely trend:

Original: Chanel Vamp (or Chanel Rouge Noir)
CopyCat: OPI Black Magic Mountain
Brucci Black Cherry
Revlon Vixen

Essie Wicked
Essie Licorice
Essie Clutch me if you Can
Essie Chocolate Kisses

Chanel Black Satin was listed as THE new polish for fall 2006
OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark looks just like it on the nails.

AND apparently Chanel Black Satin is sold out and you can get it on eBay for $129 so they said just by the OPI version and it's only $7. Nice!

Essie Dark Chocolate Truffle (looks REALLY yummy in the picture)
Essie Berry Hard

My search was mostly for Essie colors as they are my fave polish...but I do like OPI too. A few other sites listed Essie as their faves too because of nice price point and how long the colors last on the fingers. Gotta agree there. The Essie gal also posted that she named this fall's colors with rich warm chocolate names, gotta love that. I may not be able to gorge myself on Dark Chocolate Truffles but I can wear the polish! haha.

Sounds like I have to do some fall nail polish shopping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results