shape
carat
color
clarity

Fave Nail Polishes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
well I ordered from 8ty8 also on Thursday.
I was hoping to get them today but they didn''t arrive.

I ordered
Essie Lady Godiva
Essie Allure
Essie Wicked
and OPI Esspresso your style

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2006 9:32:04 PM
Author: Mara
YAY Christa...now lets see those nails! hehe.

I have to have something to tide me over til Tues!
I have my Quarter of a Cent-Cherry on right now, but I''ll have to try out the Espresso soon. I''m annoyed, though--I snapped two nails right off last week, so I cut them all to match and I''m waiting for them to grow back out. The short nails with red polish is kind of cute, though.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
christa actually everything i have seen says not to wear the dark polishes with long nails, it''s too 80''s vamp. they said short clipped is the way to go. thankfully that''s how i keep my nails anyway, hehee.

sevens, i can''t wait to see yours as well. woo hoo dark polish here the PS''ers come. hehe.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2006 11:08:05 PM
Author: monarch64
No worries, Justjulia, sometimes you just need that favorite manicure (or tips) to make ya feel good. I know plenty of gals who''ve had tips on forever and can''t imagine life without them! Sometimes in life you just have to go with what makes you feel good! And that is something that just can''t be judged. Happy to hear you had a great manicure and it looks very natural--a hard thing to come by in the world of artificials. If I didn''t type all day long and play piano, I would consider artificials, but I do, and I need short-ish nails for my lifestyle. I had tips put on for my wedding and damned if they weren''t the most painful things! But I see a lot of them around me and they are beautiful. Will you be trying some of the polishes we''ve been discussing on this thread?
35.gif
You bet. In terms of fall color, I really like OPI''s "Big Apple Red." Wish I had a picture wearing it. Here is a pic of my new shorties with tips.

shortnailsps.JPG

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 1:11:33 AM
Author: Mara
christa actually everything i have seen says not to wear the dark polishes with long nails, it''s too 80''s vamp. they said short clipped is the way to go. thankfully that''s how i keep my nails anyway, hehee.
I know, and I definitely don''t like super-long nails. My nails are weird, though--the nail beds are so short that they need a couple weeks of growth to get past the tips of my fingers. Fortunately they didn''t break all the way down, at least.

I''m having fun with the red polish right now. It''s a big switch from my usual neutrals and French manicures! That dark brown still scares me a little, but I''ll try it out next.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, here''s a dumb question from an online-only buyer of this stuff . . . is it O-P-I, like initials, or "Ohpee", like a word?

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Initials. Stands for "Odontorium Products Inc." Started as a dental supply company:

OPI
OPI 2

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Oleander! You really ARE the nail polish guru! I thought it was initials, but I looked all over the OPI site and couldn''t find what it stood for.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Head2Toe shipped my order yesterday so I guess I will have it by Wed. Keeping fingers crossed!
5.gif
Of course now that I was getting all into FALL with the cold weather and rain we had last week...the stupid weather has shifted again and we are going to have 80''s all week and sunny. UGH! So I guess I might as well stick to pastels for another week or two. Bummer.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad to hear you are pleased with your online orders. Whenever I recommend something to someone, I am on pins and needles hoping it all works out well, even if I am confident in the outcome. I look forward to seeing some nice new fall polish swatches.

PSA: I used Essie''s Clutch Me if You Can over the weekend. To get the dark bottle color, I did have to use 3 coats, but 2 looked very pretty as well. It''s really gorgeous because the polish is more gel-like than paint-like; it has a slight translucency that really appeals to me. BUT: it''s a stainer even with base coat. Like, real bad. I have _never_ had staining like this; usually only the typical slight yellow tinge, but my nails are PINK/ORANGE now. I asked another board about it, and they all had the same experience, so be forewarned. Maybe use TWO coats of base, I don''t know. One woman said she removed the stain with Clorox Clean Up. I am going to try my tooth whitening gel first.

So gorgeous color, not so gorgeous stain later.
7.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Let us know if the Clorox or toothpaste works for you, Oleander. Here''s my update: I tried out the Espresso on my toes, which is what I do when I''m not too sure about the color. That way I can put on shoes if I don''t like it.
5.gif
Or take it off, of course, but that''s a lot of trouble. But I digress . . . Espresso Your Style has less shimmer than I thought it would, which is fine. I generally prefer creme anyway, but I do like how the slight shimmer gives it some extra shine. Or something. It''s really, really dark, though. Looks pretty black a lot of the time. Hmmm . . . I actually think I might like it better if I was seeing it closer up on my hands instead of all the way down on the floor.

Just in case anyone cares about the other colors I ordered, I have OPI Dulce de Leche on my hands and it''s boring me to death. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. It''s almost a flesh tone on me, and especially after wearing Quarter of a Cent-Cherry all week it''s a snoozer. I also got Pink Glove Service, which has been well-discussed in other threads, and Essie Iced Chai Latte, which I think will make a nice non-pink French. Haven''t tried it yet, though, and of course, I also thought I was going to like Dulce de Leche.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
woo hoo my package came today!! everything was wrapped really well. the polishes are all so dark, i was joking with greg about my goth polishes and he''s like oh great! hahaa. i said it''s the fashion!!
3.gif
anyway they all look really awesome, i am excited to try them out. not sure which one i will try first but Wicked looks pretty intriguing as does Espresso your Style. i am thinking of getting a mani pedi next Tues right before my new job starts so maybe i''ll go goth then.
2.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I was totally coming over to bump this thread and see if anyone else had their new pretties yet--glad to hear you got yours, Mara! I have Espresso Your Style on my hands now, and it''s growing on me. I really wish the shimmer showed up a little more, though, which is kind of funny since originally I thought I wanted a creme.

My husband asked if it was my Halloween polish.
5.gif
I told him it was THE thing to wear this year but I''m not sure he believed me.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Ha, on the goth front ... when my now-hubby and I met at a New Years Eve party, I was wearing OPI Vampire State Building (a dark dark red that almost looks black) and I was wearing all black and had this big black leather bracelet from Banana Republic on, and he totally thought I was goth girl!! Which is so funny because I'm just so not! Even now he insists I was wearing black nail polish and a bondage bracelet when we met
11.gif
-- and I keep having to remind him it was RED polish and a Banana Republic bracelet!

Anyhow, I'm getting a manicure today after work and am so excited now for all these fall colors you all keep mentioning! I did pales all summer, and I'm so tired of them
24.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Mara, definitely try the Wicked on your toes. I think you''ll love it! I''ve been wearing it on my toes with peep-toe pumps to work and it looks great.

Has anyone tried Like Linen by Essie? Supposedly it is a non-pink version of Mademoiselle.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have Like Linen, Giada...it''s a bit too neutral for my taste, esp since my skin is more olive so linen colors end up making my hands look ''dead'' in a way. But I have used it in a sheer one coat kinda fashion over a french just to tone down the white if I don''t feel like having a pink tone on my hands.

I know I was laughing at the goth comments...we were talking about it when walking home from dinner because Greg was going to check the mail and I was telling him I bought these colors online for fall so that there might be a key for the ''package mailbox'' in our slot, I didn''t want him to just pull the mail out and have the key fall to the ground or something in the dark. So he comes inside from getting the mail and said ''sorry honey there wasn''t anything for you''...and i said ''awww really?'' and he goes ''HOWEVER....i got my awesome new goth nailpolishes!''...hahha i was cracking up.

Christa, Espresso my Style in the bottle actually looks REALLY shimmery. Esp compared to the other colors, it''s definitely a shimmery polish. Lady Godiva in the bottle looks like the same color as EmS but without the shimmer. So a nice creme brown. Clutch me is a mix between Lady Godiva and Wicked in the bottle and Wicked is kind of tinged with a dark burgundyish purple sheen in the bottle. So all in all they are similar but just a bit different. We''ll see. I think I will do Wicked at the salon next week!!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I agree Espresso looks shimmery in the bottle, but on my nails I have to be out in the sun for it to show up. Right now I'm at my desk next to a window, no overhead lights on, and I can't see the shimmer at all.
7.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got back from the mall and decided to pick up one of the OPI shades mentioned here. No one carries Essie in my area so I''ll place an order soon from on of the sites to try those as well. anyway, the store didn''t have many dark colors in at all, the guy said they''ve been flying off the shelves but they did have one bottle of Lincoln Park After Dark. I''m going to test it later and if I like it I''ll have the gal do it at my next mani before my big Chicago trip.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just placed my order with 8ty8 this afternoon...7 polishes for $25 plus shipping! I will be anxiously awaiting my order!

I put Wicked on my fingernails Wednesday night, used base and two top coats, but as of today my thumbnail peeled completely off, and I have a few other yucky looking chips already. I type a lot at work, so that could be a contributing factor. But as far as the color, I love it! It''s not too goth for me, as I don''t wear a lot of black, and my makeup is typically very neutral. I did have my hair dyed back to my natural color about a week ago (dark brunette with a few gold-ish highlights), though, so actually my darker nails go pretty well with my newly-darkened hair. (I had one too many rounds with the highlights this year and my hair was turning very blondas a result). I did order OPI Chocolate Kisses, and Espresso my Style, which I''m very excited about...in a couple weeks I will go back to the salon to get some more highlights put in and lighten up this almost-black color I''ve still got going on, even though my gal told me about 5 times "it will lighten up, I promise!"
20.gif

Glad to hear everyone''s orders have turned out well so far...thanks again for the reviews!
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What''s this 8ty8 website?

I typed in 8ty8.com and...uh...
emembarrassed.gif
...it''s not a G rated site.
37.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 9:15:58 PM
Author: FireGoddess
What''s this 8ty8 website?

I typed in 8ty8.com and...uh...
emembarrassed.gif
...it''s not a G rated site.
37.gif

FG it''s
www.8ty8beauty.com

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Well, bleaching didn''t work completely on the Clutch Me....stains. It helped a bit, and then I buffed a little. The nails are better, but it''s just going to have to grow out/wear off. Though I love that Clutch Me color, I am not using it again.
7.gif

Christa: I love Iced Chai Latte, although I have to use only one coat over a sheer white like Essie Waltz because it''s a little on the yellow/warm side for my skin tone.
I''m sorry the Espresso color is not thrilling you too much. Amazing that you are yearning for shimmer when you specifically searched for CREMES!!
11.gif

I''m looking forward to seeing some new dark polishes on you all. I was wearing all dark colors for a week or two, now I am back to a standby pink sheer, OPI Privacy Please. Guess ya gotta mix it up sometimes. All this talk about Wicked makes we want to whip it out tonight.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so tonite i put some wicked on. man these dark polishes are hell to actually apply without looking like i cut a major artery on each fingernail. hehee. the polish corrector only works partially, maybe thats why it was...oh $0.99? anyway, i did a pretty good job, only 2 coats, and put down 2 coats of base seche vite and a coat of out the door on top. it dried pretty quickly and no dings. it looks REALLY GOTH...hahaha. greg was like WOAH that''s classy. hahaha. but i love it. wicked is basically a super super dark red/burgundy color, imagine the darkest of the reds but with a burgundy hue and you''ve got it. i really like it with my olive skin tone. tomorrow i''ll take a few shots and post them!

i was a little worried about the dark polish staining so i put 2 coats of base but i also figured well if this is the look for fall i will probably be wearing it for a while so i''m not going to worry about it staining my nails much until spring when i will want to wear sheers again. then i''ll probably just keep something kinda pinky medium on that won''t stain the nails but will cover them as they grow out. but still keeping fingers crossed!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 10:10:47 PM
Author: Oleander

Christa:
I love Iced Chai Latte, although I have to use only one coat over a sheer white like Essie Waltz because it's a little on the yellow/warm side for my skin tone.
I'm sorry the Espresso color is not thrilling you too much. Amazing that you are yearning for shimmer when you specifically searched for CREMES!!
11.gif
Oleander, the Espresso is growing on me! It's so different from what I usually wear, but I've had it on for several days now (in fact it's about time to take it off--I touched up a chip tonight so it should last another day or so, but these colors are not very forgiving when they start to go!) and I'm warming up to it.

I think the Iced Chai Latte is too yellow for me, too, especially since it's so sheer and my nails are already stained yellow from polish.
7.gif
I got sucked in again to a color that looked great in the picture and forgot for a minute that I really need cooler colors.

Do you want to share what nail polish message board you like? This recent nail polish fixation of mine is cheaper than jewelry, at least!

ETA: I just realized that asking about your message board might not be allowed, so if there's a way to identify or contact you through it, never mind.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice holiday red? I have my burgundys and browns already but I always like a nice bold red (nothing too hookerish and nothing sparkly) for Xmas parties and such.

THanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2006 11:29:17 AM
Author: scarlet16
Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice holiday red? I have my burgundys and browns already but I always like a nice bold red (nothing too hookerish and nothing sparkly) for Xmas parties and such.

THanks!
my absolute most favorite red is OPI''s I''m Not Really a Waitress. i am totally NOT a red fan on my skin tone but i was wearing the wrong reds. i have a medium olive tone and this one is classy darkish but not too dark and not too bright, it''s creme tone, it''s just lovely. part of how to find a great red is based on your skin tone. some reds have blues as an undertone and that looks horrible with my olive but will most likely pop off someone who is fair skinned. so i need something that is warmer. anyway i do know that this is one of the most popular OPI red colors so maybe it works for many types!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2006 11:29:17 AM
Author: scarlet16

THanks!
OPI''s Quarter of a Cencherry is a deep non metallic red that is very elegant too...

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh ooooh ooooh!! My new favourite colour!!
3.gif
Yesterday I bought Cherry On by Maybelline, I''m really enjoying my nails while they''re long, ''cos I really should chop them off for work, but ah well
41.gif
This is the most delicious deep shade of red with just the tiniest hint of purplih pink to it. It''s hard to get the deep colour in the pictures, but it really is yummy!!

RedNailsCherryOn.jpg

Giada

Shiny_Rock
For a nice holiday red, I second OPI's I'm Not Really A Waitress. It's such a nice deep true red with a bit of sparkle (but not cheap-looking sparkle). Essie makes a great red called "Jelly Apple" that is a nice creamy, true red.

Mara, you and I must have similar skin tones, b/c we seem to really like the same colors. I'm glad you liked Wicked! It's by far my favorite deep vampy shade. I tried Like Linen on one nail in the beauty store and it made me look like I had jaundice.

BZ

Rough_Rock
I agree with the OPI I''m not really a waitress. Every time I have it on, I get compliments. It is a color that looks great on everyone.

Has anyone tried the OPI Lincoln Park After Dark? I just bought it and wanted to know what people thought.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results