shape
carat
color
clarity

Fave Nail Polishes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2006 8:54:04 AM
Author: BZ
I agree with the OPI I''m not really a waitress. Every time I have it on, I get compliments. It is a color that looks great on everyone.

Has anyone tried the OPI Lincoln Park After Dark? I just bought it and wanted to know what people thought.

BZ, I just bought Lincoln Park After Dark. I really like it. It totally looks like the dark goth purple/reds all the celebs are wearing.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/14/2006 11:29:17 AM
Author: scarlet16
Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice holiday red? I have my burgundys and browns already but I always like a nice bold red (nothing too hookerish and nothing sparkly) for Xmas parties and such.

THanks!

My fave red cremes are OPI Got the Blues for Red and Kennebunk-Port. Both are blue-based standard reds.
Fave red with warm shimmer is China Glaze Visions of Grandeur.
For over-the-top glittery red: China Glaze Ruby Pumps. Looks just like Dorothy''s slippers and is not for the faint of heart.
For a shimmery red leaning more toward maroon, my faves are China Glaze Heart of Africa and OPI Bogota Blackberry.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I had to order OPI Quarter of a Cent-Cherry after Diamondfan mentioned it, and I love it. It's a true blood red creme, no brown or orange or pink to it, and not a screaming candy-apple red either. I think it's a great holiday red, but of course I'll defer to Oleander's superior wisdom on this subject.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Christa, I love it too.

Now I am going to Los Angeles for a party and am really tempted to do the more dark look on the hands...I think it will look great, but I am a bit scared.

My dress and shoes are black, and I thought about doing dark eye make up with light lips...typical red on the hands just did not cut it to me...and if there is a place to do the nails like that it is L.A. I live in Philly and it is a bit conservative so I would be less likely to do it here!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know i have been a slack about posting pictures but i did take pictures of wicked...i really love it. i redid the hands on tues as they only lasted about 3 days before chips started and it was all downhill from there. i might add another top coat tto see if that helps the lifespan. but i just love the color. it takes a day or two to get used to but now i adore it. i thought about changing it up on tues when i redid them but i just did wicked again. also i am getting better with not making a big mess on painting the dark polishes, i only had two small booboos this last time. and the out the door top coat does dry them super fast.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just popping in to say 8ty8beauty has another satisfied customer--I received my order yesterday, so fun to open!!! DH was like, nail polish in the mail? Why???
9.gif
Anyway, everything looks great. I ordered 7 polishes and I can''t wait to try them...
I got the usual pinks (Limoscene, Vanity Fairest, Fed Up, and OPI Bubble Bath) and some browns (OPI Espresso Your Style and Essie Chocolate Kisses)

Chocolate Kisses is a really pretty creme brown--not super dark, more like milk chocolate...after using Wicked a couple of times now I wanted something a little less vampy. Oh and Mara, my Wicked only lasts about 3 days too, if I''m lucky. Also, I tried the corrector pen thing too with Wicked and it''s not so impressive. Kinda smeared it around and made things worse...I will save it for boo-boos for lighter colors, I think.
9.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
You all make me wish I wasn''t seriously nail-polish-challenged! But alas I am, so I can''t partake of buying all these fun colors -- waaah!
8.gif
I can''t even do my nails with the lighter colors, so I am like beyond impressed with you guys for doing your own manicures w/the dark colors. I make streaky messes even on my left hand (I''m a righty), and I can''t polish with my left hand at all. How DO you do it?!

I need to see this Wicked color! I looooove dark polishes (applied by someone else of course!), and that sounds fab-u-lous!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, I love the new darker fall shades of polish. I had my toes done in a dark red in mid August and I just picked up "OPI love this color!" this afternoon and painted my fingernails. I have attached a pic to show the colour but please forgive my messy polish lines....it is hard with these darker colours.
2.gif

OPIlovethiscolor!.jpg

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
hlmr: I recently bought that same color too! I have not yet tried it out - but I may do that tomorrow. It looks a lot redder than I thought, however. Is that one coat, or two?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
It''s two coats with a base and top coat as well. It is actually quite dark (my pic may be a bit misleading) but it is still a red. My oblivious hubby told me he liked it and asked if it was for Halloween!?!
20.gif
3.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Ellaila,

There is a picture of Wicked on my toes on page 3 of this thread. That picture is with a flash, so it looks even deeper "in person". I love it!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhhh, I likes, I likes!! Thanks, Giada!

I used to always get Vampire State Building, so I definitely dig the dark vampy reds too! I currently have an old OPI color on my fingers - Eat''n Eggplant (?) - and it''s kinda cool, but I''m ready to go redder! I had a wedding this past weekend where I was wearing brown and orange (sounds heinous, I know, but it was a casual outdoor wedding, and this is a really cute wool plaid-ish Ann Taylor Loft skirt that I wore with brown boots), so I wanted more brown than red, and unfortunately my place didn''t have any of the newer brown colors you guys keep talking about. Another wedding next weekend where I''ll be wearing black, so I think a nice deep red will look great. Maybe something a bit brighter than Wicked though for this, since I don''t want to look all goth for my best friend''s wedding
2.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I''d like to see what Wicked looks like on hands... does anyone have any pics they can post of it? Giada, do you have it on your hands? I
emlove.gif
what it looks like on toes!

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have it on my nails today, but I do plan to paint on some Wicked for a party Saturday night. I''m sure I can get some pictures tomorrow for you.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2006 1:41:06 PM
Author: ellaila
Ohhhhhh, I likes, I likes!! Thanks, Giada!

I used to always get Vampire State Building, so I definitely dig the dark vampy reds too! I currently have an old OPI color on my fingers - Eat''n Eggplant (?) - and it''s kinda cool, but I''m ready to go redder! I had a wedding this past weekend where I was wearing brown and orange (sounds heinous, I know, but it was a casual outdoor wedding, and this is a really cute wool plaid-ish Ann Taylor Loft skirt that I wore with brown boots), so I wanted more brown than red, and unfortunately my place didn''t have any of the newer brown colors you guys keep talking about. Another wedding next weekend where I''ll be wearing black, so I think a nice deep red will look great. Maybe something a bit brighter than Wicked though for this, since I don''t want to look all goth for my best friend''s wedding
2.gif
Quarter of a Cent-Cherry, Quarter of a Cent-Cherry, Quarter of a Cent-Cherry . . . .
9.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2006 4:31:07 PM
Author: Christa

Quarter of a Cent-Cherry, Quarter of a Cent-Cherry, Quarter of a Cent-Cherry . . . .
9.gif
Hmm, if only someone had an opinion ... anyone?? anyone??
2.gif

I'll look into that one, Christa! I think my nail shop is a bit behind the times with their colors ... grrrrr. I may have to go buy some of these colors on my own and take them to the shop myself! In particular, Quarter of a Cent-Cherry, Wicked, and Espresso Your (My?) Style -- I'm dying to see each of these in action!

ETA: Oh and Clutch Me If You Can too! Also, I just looked back through this thread and am reminded that yes, I really like that Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ color too!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
OK, one more. Any of you seen/tried Essie''s Rock the Croc? Looks like a slightly redder Clutch Me If You Can ...

rockthecroc.jpg

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2006 4:40:06 PM
Author: ellaila

Date: 10/20/2006 4:31:07 PM
Author: Christa

9.gif
Hmm, if only someone had an opinion ... anyone?? anyone??
2.gif

I'll look into that one, Christa! I think my nail shop is a bit behind the times with their colors ... grrrrr. I may have to go buy some of these colors on my own and take them to the shop myself! In particular, Quarter of a Cent-Cherry, Wicked, and Espresso Your (My?) Style -- I'm dying to see each of these in action!

ETA: Oh and Clutch Me If You Can too! Also, I just looked back through this thread and am reminded that yes, I really like that Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ color too!
It's Espresso Your Style--I had to check the bottle because I kept seeing it both ways. That red Hlmr modelled above it pretty, too, though looks too warm for my coloring. Did you see Oleander's warning that Clutch Me was very pretty but a terrible stainer? It's a page or two back--she said it left her nails orangey-pink.
14.gif

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I decided to expand my Seche line to include the base coat, as well as the mani and pedi set that they have. Then I stopped by my local nail polish store and tried on colours. I was going to just write down the names of the colours, but I felt bad because the girl was really great about trying 8 different colours on the tape (3 coats of each colour to see what they would look like) for me to pick which one I liked and walk out not buying anything. So I bought them from her, more expensive than online, but oh well. I missed the boat on getting my favourite colour for my toes - OPI Charge It In Milan, a dark red, but with orange base, not pink base. VErrrry hard to find a red with an orange base, not a pink base. I bought OPI''s "Smokin ''n Havana", "Talk of the town Brown" and "Opening Night Champagne". As well as a Zoya colour that is quite odd, it is very dark grey, but changes to purple and green : ) For an odd day : ) Tonight I will play around with them : )

Can''t wait for my Seche stuff from 8ty8, they shipped on Thursday, so should be here soon!

I wish you well,

Bridget

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Bridget, would you say Talk of the Town Brown is orange-y? I like the shimmer it has, but I''m afraid it''s too warm for me.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so happy with the purchases I''ve made after reading this thread! In fact, I''m thinking of doing some Christmas shopping on 8ty8beauty now for some of my friends and co-workers! I usually have the hardest time finding little gifts for those people that aren''t cheesy and just things I pick up randomly at the last minute before holiday parties...so I''m considering doing some little gift bags with maybe 2 nail colors, an Essie diamond file, and maybe a base and top coat inside--what do you think? Not creative enough, or a gift they will really like and use?

Christa

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 10/21/2006 1:09:17 AM
Author: monarch64
I''m so happy with the purchases I''ve made after reading this thread! In fact, I''m thinking of doing some Christmas shopping on 8ty8beauty now for some of my friends and co-workers! I usually have the hardest time finding little gifts for those people that aren''t cheesy and just things I pick up randomly at the last minute before holiday parties...so I''m considering doing some little gift bags with maybe 2 nail colors, an Essie diamond file, and maybe a base and top coat inside--what do you think? Not creative enough, or a gift they will really like and use?
That is such a great idea! I''m totally going to steal it.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I bought Essie''s Lady Godiva (for $7 bucks, might I add, at the local beauty supply store-ugh
14.gif
). I painted my nails with it on Tues nite, and went down to Miami on Wed and wore it down there. I got a lot of compliments from people on it. Only today it is starting to chip. I am going to order some more colors with one of the companies you ladies suggested though- I can''t believe the prices are DOUBLE in the stores!!!
29.gif

Monarch- that is a great idea for gifts!! I think I may steal it too!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know i am a picture slacker...i have pictures of wicked on my camera but i just have been so busy this week i haven''t had a chance to get them off. hopefully tomorrow!

but i am loving it. it chips really fast though...and when it starts to grow out from the nailbed, it''s pretty visible...so i have to kind of keep redoing it every 3-4 days. i might redo it tonite but maybe i will try lady godiva or espresso your style this time!

oh the one thing i do not love about the dark colors, is you have to keep your hands REALLY moisturized or else the dark polish seems to highlight any cracks or wrinkles in the hand big time...in certain lighting i am like WOAH okay lotion time.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 157px">Date: 10/21/2006 12:14:24 PM
Author: Dani
I bought Essie''s Lady Godiva (for $7 bucks, might I add, at the local beauty supply store-ugh
14.gif
). I painted my nails with it on Tues nite, and went down to Miami on Wed and wore it down there. I got a lot of compliments from people on it. Only today it is starting to chip. I am going to order some more colors with one of the companies you ladies suggested though- I can''t believe the prices are DOUBLE in the stores!!!
29.gif

Monarch- that is a great idea for gifts!! I think I may steal it too!
2.gif
Yeah, but keep in mind you''ll be paying $6 or $7 for shipping from most online sources. If you''re buying a bunch of stuff it''s totally worth it, but not for just one.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Christa, the Talk Of The Town Brown is a yellow/ orange brown, not a pink brown.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay i have pictures!!! haha my hard drive is almost full so it's really tedious to upload pictures because my computer gets sooo slow. but here are some for the hungry picture masses.

i have Wicked on the hands here...it looks pretty accurate but in the natural light like outside, it's much 'brighter' and is visibly a super dark red. inside at night and stuff it looks basically black. i really love it but it is VERY dramatic. it looks awesome with the fall colors for clothes.

hehe ignore the slight painting of the cuticles, i had just done the hands that day so the polish boo boos hadn't totally been touched up yet..hehe.

wicked hands.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is Wicked on the feet...hehee. Kind of a random shot but it looks really great on feet. I love wearing my brown or black flip flops with this color and my fall Juicy pants or jeans, it looks really dramatic!

wicked feet.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and tonite i just put on Espresso My Style from OPI and LOVE it!!!! Definite favorite. It's visibly a sparkle polish for me in kitchen lighting...not too glaring but subtle..just awesome. This picture is probably the most accurate representation of it...I had the flash on and it made the whole background black, kind of a cool shot!! Also this really flatters my skin tonite. Oh and the other thing is that this color which is OPI was easier to get on and a little less messy to get on than Essie...which is a slightly thinner polish. So I had a few less boo boos. But I still have to do touch ups...hehee.
5.gif

espresso my style hands.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I like this colour much better - espresso. The wicked is just way too dark for me.

ETA: Actually, I guess this colour isn't really that much lighter, now that I went back to look at the two pictures again, but it does seem to be a lot warmer. How many coats of polish do you have on Mara? Do you find a big visual difference between the two?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results