shape
carat
color
clarity

Experiencing a bit of buyers remorse

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
2.71 E VS1, HPHT, no color nuances, hits the 9mm mark...$3125 before 3% discount code.
See anything out of the ordinary, Kim N?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.71 E VS1, HPHT, no color nuances, hits the 9mm mark...$3125 before 3% discount code.
See anything out of the ordinary, Kim N?

Nope, awesome stone, DejaWiz!

If this hits the mark for you, Musa15, I'd put it on hold!

Last edited:

Musa15

Shiny_Rock

ok, now I have too many options! first world problems :)
Should I run these by the HCA tool? Between the options you sent over @Kim N and @DejaWiz are there a few that bubble to the top in terms of proportions?

I *can* go larger (in terms of carat weight and spread :D ) just looking to not go over budget again.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should I run these by the HCA tool? Between the options you sent over @Kim N and @DejaWiz are there a few that bubble to the top in terms of proportions?

I *can* go larger (in terms of carat weight and spread :D ) just looking to not go over budget again.

The 2.71 is the winner in my book, being HPHT with no blue nuance. You wouldn't lose any spread from your 2.74.

HCA.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

I'd go as colorless non-nuanced HPHT as your dollar can buy, if it were me. It will be as close as it gets to a naturally forming diamond as one can get without the naturally forming price tag.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
@Musa15 off topic but what size is your cushion cut? :mrgreen:

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
@Musa15 off topic but what size is your cushion cut? :mrgreen:

It’s a 2.6ct but very spready elongated cut! It’s gorgeous but from an engagement that went nowhere :( I need to reset it into something else maybe in a few years. I’m in a better place now and it’s a shame it doesn’t get used.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree... HPHT stones are much harder to find too!! Sorry with my above post. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I just related because I was feeling the same way about my diamond!

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
@DejaWiz and @Kim N thank you for the 2.71 recommendation. It is unfortunate that there are no comments around h&a and such. The current diamond is so exceptionally symmetrical that I know I will need to fall in love with both the cut and color now! Is there another option so I can pull at least 2 in to compare? It's difficult for me to judge symmetry via the videos and all ideal stones seem to be graded as "ex" for symmetry but that spans such a wide range. The new stone can be bigger :) just not any smaller in mm.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DejaWiz and @Kim N thank you for the 2.71 recommendation. It is unfortunate that there are no comments around h&a and such. The current diamond is so exceptionally symmetrical that I know I will need to fall in love with both the cut and color now! Is there another option so I can pull at least 2 in to compare? It's difficult for me to judge symmetry via the videos and all ideal stones seem to be graded as "ex" for symmetry but that spans such a wide range. The new stone can be bigger :) just not any smaller in mm.

I wouldn't take the absence of the H&A comment as an indication that it's not H&A.

How about these two, so you can compare three different sizes and colors?

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
@Kim N these look lovely do you happen to have their HCA score?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go as colorless non-nuanced HPHT as your dollar can buy, if it were me. It will be as close as it gets to a naturally forming diamond as one can get without the naturally forming price tag.

Is there a filter option for HPHT? I feel like ANY stone i click on is CVD

Musa15

Shiny_Rock

I don't think there is unfortunately. I guess distributors don't find it necessary to distinguish between the two. Just for my own edification what are the benefits of HPHT vs CVD in terms of observable differences?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think there is unfortunately. I guess distributors don't find it necessary to distinguish between the two. Just for my own edification what are the benefits of HPHT vs CVD in terms of observable differences?

well thats the thing, there 'supposedly' isn't one, but since there's this 'greyness' issue we both see, i was wondering if it could possibly be a factor?? I mean, maybe it's just cut 100% but i was curious to look and see if i see a difference to my eye or not

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There's no filter option for HPHT. Most HPHT stones I've found are D or E color. There definitely are some in other colors, but it's not as common, especially the larger you go.

You can find both good and bad HPHT and CVD stones. CVD tends to be cheaper as it's more easily grown. The downsides are the potential brown or grey tint, striations, haziness, and birefringence.

HPHT with no blue nuance will look closest to a natural diamond.

SouthPhillySparkle

Rough_Rock
Do you have the certificate or other info about cut?

EDIT. I think if anything is bothering you about it now, it will only grow to bother you more over time (at least that's been my experience). So if you have time to return and re-start I think that's a good idea!

I totally agree. If it bothers you now, it will continue to do so. Return it while you can!

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Ok all, thank you for the support and hearing me out. I have decided to return the diamond and contacted CO for a return authorization. I dm'd Alex from parksantiquelab on IG and showed him the stone and he agreed it was a lower quality gray stone (although cut well). :(

@DejaWiz Ritani was able to hold this:

2.71 E VS1 HCA 1 8.97 mm

This is still available

3.18 F VS2 HCA 1.3 9.43mm this one appears to have cloudy areas. @Kim N do you think that would be visible with the human eye ? Also, the 3.27 you posted is unfortunately unavailable.

are there any other contenders I should pull in for comparison? The 3.27 is no longer available. I can purchase 3 and compare them side by side in person.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok all, thank you for the support and hearing me out. I have decided to return the diamond and contacted CO for a return authorization. I dm'd Alex from parksantiquelab on IG and showed him the stone and he agreed it was a lower quality gray stone (although cut well). :(

@DejaWiz Ritani was able to hold this:

2.71 E VS1 HCA 1 8.97 mm

This is still available

3.18 F VS2 HCA 1.3 9.43mm this one appears to have cloudy areas. @Kim N do you think that would be visible with the human eye ? Also, the 3.27 you posted is unfortunately unavailable.

are there any other contenders I should pull in for comparison? The 3.27 is no longer available. I can purchase 3 and compare them side by side in person.

I'm so glad Ritani was able to put the 2.71 E on hold for you. I still think that one is the winner.

I ran a new search and came up with these.

Also take a look at these again to see how you feel about the inclusions compared to the 3.18. I don't think any of the inclusions would be visible to the unaided eye, but I totally understand wanting it to be mind-clean.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad Ritani was able to put the 2.71 E on hold for you. I still think that one is the winner.

I ran a new search and came up with these.

Also take a look at these again to see how you feel about the inclusions compared to the 3.18. I don't think any of the inclusions would be visible to the unaided eye, but I totally understand wanting it to be mind-clean.

@Kim N , you've given me so many options!

3.01 G VS1 looks lovely

2.81 F VS2 looks nice too and you know how I like the h&a comments :) - although the gray streaks in the diamond look a bit concerning.

do you have the HCA score for these two? do the proportions look good to you?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N , you've given me so many options!

3.01 G VS1 looks lovely

2.81 F VS2 looks nice too and you know how I like the h&a comments :) - although the gray streaks in the diamond look a bit concerning.

do you have the HCA score for these two? do the proportions look good to you?

They have very similar proportions, although the HCA likes the 3.01 a little more.

HCA-3.01.jpg

HCA-2.81.jpg

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
They have very similar proportions, although the HCA likes the 3.01 a little more.

HCA-3.01.jpg

HCA-2.81.jpg

Thank you! are 1.5 and 1.9 good scores? I believe my two diamonds (in ring and necklace) are both 1-1.2 in range.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! are 1.5 and 1.9 good scores? I believe my two diamonds (in ring and necklace) are both 1-1.2 in range.

Yes, anything under 2 (and sometimes 2.5) is worth further consideration. IMO the 2.71 E has the "safest" proportions.

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Is that hpht with faint blue?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that hpht with faint blue?

Which diamond are you referring to? None of the ones in this thread are HPHT with blue nuance.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Like others, suggest that you return as soon as you can, and depending on the grading lab, seems like you need a G or F (for loosely graded stones) to see less of the color.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

First, thank you for your support and helping me validate the concerns with the gray stone. I have asked CO for a return authorization and will be sending the stone back asap.

I asked my partner and family and they all told me to be happy with what I have haha, they're trying to be supportive in their own way but don't really understand like this group does.

@Kim N and @DejaWiz I ended up going with these 3 for comparison:

Will be posting here as a follow-up to this saga. :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

First, thank you for your support and helping me validate the concerns with the gray stone. I have asked CO for a return authorization and will be sending the stone back asap.

I asked my partner and family and they all told me to be happy with what I have haha, they're trying to be supportive in their own way but don't really understand like this group does.

@Kim N and @DejaWiz I ended up going with these 3 for comparison:

Will be posting here as a follow-up to this saga. :)

Sounds good! How long will it take to receive the new stones?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results