shape
carat
color
clarity

Experiencing a bit of buyers remorse

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Feeling a little sheepish. Please tell me it’s ok to be this crazy. I’m experiencing a bit of buyers remorse on my recent 2.74 I VS2 purchase. I think I may have purchased a spectacularly cut yet, “gray” type stone and mistakenly attributed its “darkness” in various lighting conditions to its amazing cut. It is an “I” stone and leans more towards gray than brown.

I recently showed my 2 family friends my new stone purchase and they immediately asked why it was so dark (it was underneath my solar lights so receiving sunlight) and questioned why my other stone (necklace) was noticeably brighter (showing more white light return). These are lay people not cultured in PS diamond fanatic ways/terms, and it was evident to them that the stone was not as bright as a diamond “should be”.

Alex from parksantique posted a PSA recently explaining that there are a lot of “gray” stones hitting the market and that plus my 2 family members commenting on darkness has me thinking I may have purchased a not so high quality stone.

Am I crazy? I still have time to return the stone and restart the search. I do often look at it in different lighting conditions and notice it goes “gray”. Here are some pictures compared to a cushion cut (G color)

D06286D1-B80F-4BE6-9B1D-CEAAA4A41EC8.jpeg
FEDB31B3-B244-44CD-9A60-206256B01557.jpeg
597E28B9-90D0-42EA-B551-5F1425435420.jpeg

Here is the I stone compared to the G I placed in a necklace.
0A2529B8-89DF-46CD-9D1D-8F3CBFFD65AD.jpeg

Here are some Videos in various lighting conditions. There’s a bonus pup in one of the videos and the last video shows the diamond under a shady tree

Last edited:

coca

Rough_Rock
Trade
Feeling a little sheepish. Please tell me it’s ok to be this crazy. I’m experiencing a bit of buyers remorse on my recent 2.74 I VS2 purchase. I think I may have purchased a spectacularly cut yet, “gray” type stone and mistakenly attributed its “darkness” in various lighting conditions to its amazing cut. It is an “I” stone and leans more towards gray than brown.

I recently showed my 2 family friends my new stone purchase and they immediately asked why it was so dark (it was underneath my solar lights so receiving sunlight) and questioned why my other stone (necklace) was noticeably brighter (showing more white light return). These are lay people not cultured in PS diamond fanatic ways/terms, and it was evident to them that the stone was not as bright as a diamond “should be”.

Alex from parksantique posted a PSA recently explaining that there are a lot of “gray” stones hitting the market and that plus my 2 family members commenting on darkness has me thinking I may have purchased a not so high quality stone.

Am I crazy? I still have time to return the stone and restart the search. I do often look at it in different lighting conditions and notice it goes “gray”. Here are some pictures compared to a cushion cut (G color)

Here are some Videos in various lighting conditions

Can I ask you what agency graded your stone and who you purchased it from? On Friday I'm picking up an F color VS 2 2.5 carat and I'm taking note of your observations.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Can I ask you what agency graded your stone and who you purchased it from? On Friday I'm picking up an F color VS 2 2.5 carat and I'm taking note of your observations.

IGI purchased from Clean Origin

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the certificate or other info about cut?

EDIT. I think if anything is bothering you about it now, it will only grow to bother you more over time (at least that's been my experience). So if you have time to return and re-start I think that's a good idea!

coca

Rough_Rock
Trade
I purchased mine from Blue Nile and it was graded by GIA . GIA is supposedly stricter in their grading practices. However I'll be looking for that gray tone you noticed and I'll post my information when I receive it.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds (lab and natural) body color can be lots of different hues, yellow, brown, pinky brown, blue (Lab diamonds), gray, etc.. Your G should look whiter than an I to most people no matter the body color. But it is possible that your I color has a body color that leans gray rather than more common yellow or brown tints. It doesn't mean anything is "wrong" its just that that is the underlying tint your stone has. If they were unset stones placing them table down on a white surface/background it would be easier to see what the body color is. If you return it you should definitely ask that anyone you buy a different stone from take a photo of this for you so you can see what the body color of the diamond is so you can see if you like that hue. Or simply purchase a more colorless stone.

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
It's a very pretty stone but I agree it appears greyish/darker and if you don't like that I think you should just start over because you should think it's perfect.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this. The cut is indeed amazing, but I do see the greyish tone now. I agree completely with lovedogs and Jax172. If it bothers you now, that feeling will likely not go away. I would also recommend sticking with G color and higher.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this. The cut is indeed amazing, but I do see the greyish tone now. I agree completely with lovedogs and Jax172. If it bothers you now, that feeling will likely not go away. I would also recommend sticking with G color and higher.

@Kim N , do you think I would be able to find another diamond with a cut that is this good? I went thru about 4 other diamonds to find this one (with your/ @DejaWiz help. I’m just kind of kicking myself because I now realize that I am color/hue sensitive. A part of me just wants me to be happy with what I have! It IS a gorgeous stone but considering I paid close to 4k I would think I can get something closer to DEFG for that price tag just don’t know if I need to now sacrifice in cut and angles.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
@Kim N , do you think I would be able to find another diamond with a cut that is this good? I went thru about 4 other diamonds to find this one (with your/ @DejaWiz help. I’m just kind of kicking myself because I now realize that I am color/hue sensitive. A part of me just wants me to be happy with what I have! It IS a gorgeous stone but considering I paid close to 4k I would think I can get something closer to DEFG for that price tag just don’t know if I need to now sacrifice in cut and angles.

Dont feel bad, many of us have done similar purchases I think. I bought an I colored mined diamond once too and at first thought I loved it but from the side I could see color. Drove me nuts for a year before I traded it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Musa15, we will absolutely help you find "the one"!
When you're ready to start looking for contenders, let us the pertinent details such as minimum spread, budget, etc and we'll go to work.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Definitely. I really love this one, for example. Looks so crisp in the video.

Also this one.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
@Kim N and @DejaWiz these are all lovely! Kim, I noticed the ones you posted had h&a type comments. Is there an easy way to check for this? Or are you searching one at a time? The stone I purchased came with a gemex report and aset scope image so I just assumed it was top notch-not really realizing how much color plays a role in the beauty of the stone. And here she is being beautiful in other lighting conditions makes me sad that I want to return her.
1A7B1B93-ECD5-4224-86DB-A9B38FC69201.jpeg
2D4CF436-FF99-46E2-A1B5-6D76C33545C8.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N and @DejaWiz these are all lovely! Kim, I noticed the ones you posted had h&a type comments. Is there an easy way to check for this? Or are you searching one at a time? The stone I purchased came with a gemex report and aset scope image so I just assumed it was top notch-not really realizing how much color plays a role in the beauty of the stone. And here she is being beautiful in other lighting conditions makes me sad that I want to return her.

She does look like a beautiful performer. I'm sure we can find you a great replacement with better color and similar performance.

There's no way to search based on H&A. I also don't believe the absence of the H&A comment means that it doesn't have H&A--I think a supplier may have to pay to get that checked and notated on the report.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here are some Videos in various lighting conditions. There’s a bonus pup in one of the videos and the last video shows the diamond under a shady tree

what is bothering you ?
that you dont like the grey you see in your stone ?
or that your friends think they found fault in it ?

one of the trade boys recently reminded me that the best place to see a diamond sparkle is under a tree on a sunny day
not in blinding sunlight

i know of someone with a grey (mall quality )diamond ER and everyone that's seen it raves about it

do not let your friends put you off it if you love your stone
we are all grown ups. not high school kids

i would go as far as to say that your friends were quite rude

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

good lord girl !
that's a knock out ! :kiss2:

if i were in your social circle i would tell your friends to pull their heads in

now go outside and find a nice tree :lol-2:

=)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

sorry i missed that you had already done this :lol-2:
what a sparkler :appl:
its gorgeous :kiss2:

do you plan to always wear both the big diamonds together on the same hand ?

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
sorry i missed that you had already done this :lol-2:
what a sparkler :appl:
its gorgeous :kiss2:

do you plan to always wear both the big diamonds together on the same hand ?

@Daisys and Diamonds! Haha yes I’ve posted my saga here on PS on a previous post too (so more beauty shots of the diamond are found on a previous post!)

I would not be wearing these two rings together. It’s more like because I’m wearing the G colored diamond necklace (part of the set) my “I” diamond ring looks gray (since they’re both on my body).

So, I first started noticing the coloring on the stone this past week when I flew to Madison WI for work and was under fluorescent lighting for the first time since purchasing it and then again under different types of lighting I wasn’t used to. so, it was already kind of on my mind and I think my friends were not thinking the stone was ugly at all but just pointed out that my necklace looked noticeably brighter and whiter and I thought to myself “oh interesting” because it’s hard for me to judge the pieces in a mirror but it’s apparent that it’s darker to lay people and now it’s bugging me more

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Sorry that you don’t much like your new diamond. I and J color diamonds can be tricky. I agree that if it bugs you, it will not stop bugging you. Better to return and try again.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds! Haha yes I’ve posted my saga here on PS on a previous post too (so more beauty shots of the diamond are found on a previous post!)

I would not be wearing these two rings together. It’s more like because I’m wearing the G colored diamond necklace (part of the set) my “I” diamond ring looks gray (since they’re both on my body).

So, I first started noticing the coloring on the stone this past week when I flew to Madison WI for work and was under fluorescent lighting for the first time since purchasing it and then again under different types of lighting I wasn’t used to. so, it was already kind of on my mind and I think my friends were not thinking the stone was ugly at all but just pointed out that my necklace looked noticeably brighter and whiter and I thought to myself “oh interesting” because it’s hard for me to judge the pieces in a mirror but it’s apparent that it’s darker to lay people and now it’s bugging me more

how long is the return period ?
i feel sad you may be falling out of love with it
what kind of lighting are you usually under ?

im releaved your friends wermt being unkind

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Concur with the others' sentiments that if it bothers you now, then it will continue to bother you later. Therefore, it would be wise to cut your losses and start again to find a better stone.

DK :))

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock

Dejawiz, quick question about the 3.37--Are those proportions ok for a ring? I have been trying to learn from you guys! I have got a ways to go, but trying LOL!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Dejawiz, quick question about the 3.37--Are those proportions ok for a ring? I have been trying to learn.

Yep, although it's borderline with the 40.5° PA...I'd recommend getting ASET images, but I would recommend that anyway, regardless of the proportions and angles.
It's not overly deep at 62.5% (but that could be considered pushing the max).
The nice and tight 54.5% table coupled with the 35.5° CA gives a beautifully taller 16% crown height!
Stars appear to slightly smaller than 50%, maybe some minor (but not abnormal) variances.
Lowers appear to be about 77%.
The arrows look a smidge "off" in the video, but the diamond is tilted very slightly backwards, so the perspective will also be very slightly skewed.

Screenshot_20221107-060911.png

Last edited:

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
OP, if it this stone is not pleasing to you, I would also strongly encourage you to return while you still can. I think with the higher colors that KimN and Dejawiz are recommending here, you won't have that problem.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, better to return while you still can. I am in the same boat as you and I am in the process of returning my ring back to CO. I love the setting but the diamond, being an I color is showing a little too much warmth to me. I purchased this from Ritani. It is HPHT.............. sigh, we shall see............ Good luck with what you decide! Kim N and Dejawiz gave you some great choices! https://www.ritani.com/products/2-4...-vs2-clarity-igi-lg549292831-sku-d-20caoryucf

Attachments

• certificate IGI for 2.47.pdf
    480.2 KB · Views: 3

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, better to return while you still can. I am in the same boat as you and I am in the process of returning my ring back to CO. I love the setting but the diamond, being an I color is showing a little too much warmth to me. I purchased this from Ritani. It is HPHT.............. sigh, we shall see............ Good luck with what you decide! Kim N and Dejawiz gave you some great choices! https://www.ritani.com/products/2-4...-vs2-clarity-igi-lg549292831-sku-d-20caoryucf

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
@DejaWiz and @Kim N thank you both for recommendations! I ideally would purchase something with higher specs than this. I’m ok with going larger in mm too as long as total cost is less than 3.8k.

I’m enjoying the performance of this diamond and if I were to have any kind of criticism it would be it doesn’t return as much “white light” not sure if that’s a function of the body color interfering or not. Here are the current specs:

45C42D34-323C-40FD-883C-BA40E45BEB66.jpeg

You can see that brilliance is a little lower here on the scale. I observe that with the naked eye too.

701D8449-69DD-4C71-9046-549885792D97.png

@Kim N given what you know about angles and performance: would you say the two you posted would be strong contenders compared to this one? I noticed they had more visible inclusions. That’s another thing I love about this stone even under a loupe I cannot detect inclusions.

@DejaWiz I love the size of the ones you sent but they’re all slightly over budget and my budget has slid once already

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DejaWiz and @Kim N thank you both for recommendations! I ideally would purchase something with higher specs than this. I’m ok with going larger in mm too as long as total cost is less than 3.8k.

I’m enjoying the performance of this diamond and if I were to have any kind of criticism it would be it doesn’t return as much “white light” not sure if that’s a function of the body color interfering or not. Here are the current specs:

45C42D34-323C-40FD-883C-BA40E45BEB66.jpeg

You can see that brilliance is a little lower here on the scale. I observe that with the naked eye too.

701D8449-69DD-4C71-9046-549885792D97.png

@Kim N given what you know about angles and performance: would you say the two you posted would be strong contenders compared to this one? I noticed they had more visible inclusions. That’s another thing I love about this stone even under a loupe I cannot detect inclusions.

@DejaWiz I love the size of the ones you sent but they’re all slightly over budget and my budget has slid once already

I'm a little surprised that your stone doesn't return white light as well as others. Given the proportions (the slightly lower crown angle and crown height), I would have thought it might lean towards a bit more white light return. Body color does not affect brilliance. I think it comes down to the fact that even two stones with the same proportions will not perform exactly the same.

I do think the two stones I posted would be strong contenders. The G has "safer" proportions, right in the sweet spot. I also think the inclusions in either are small enough that they wouldn't be seen unaided.

This one's video looks really nice to my eye.

The diamond is tilted in this one--I'd want to see a better video.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results