shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help - Radiant 15k budget

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RD, I think you are hurting your cause more than helping it by continuing these kinds of posts.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the words DS.
I ask this with the best of intentions- what do you think "my cause" is?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it might benefit you more to stick to promoting diamonds and make the statement that in your experience, radiants are extremely popular. Then the original poster can decide whether your expertise will influence his decision more than my opinion that women are going to have preferences and I think there are safer choices than a radiant for a surprise. I don't think criticizing posts of members here is a very good idea for a vendor. But hey, that's just my opinion, too!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks again DS- I totally appreciate the sentiment.
The amount of letters I get in support of taking a stand is incredible.

Please look at the posts in this thread- I'm not the only one who notices a kind of "bully" posture taken by certain posters. When I do state my opinion I'm nastily accused of "having an agenda" or called a pig.

My goal is honest representation of diamonds. There's so much misleading and incorrect info about diamonds out there- if PS is allowed to become just another source for misinformation, we've all lost something as lovers of diamonds and jewelry.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1320079449|3051054 said:
diamondseeker2006|1320021066|3050661 said:
Sharon, I do want to say that you have an exceptionally beautiful radiant! I think some of us are sort of down on that crushed ice look that some radiants have, just as we are not in favor of and do not recommend what we consider to be lesser cuts of round brilliants. So we do need to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater here!

I think the real point of the concern was that it might be risky choosing any fancy cut without knowing her preferences a little better.

If the OP wants a radiant, I would recommend that he consider both the Lucere Radiants that Good Old Gold carries because they have lovely facet patterns, or even try one of the princess of hearts since they are also cut cornered squares. I believe I posted some of both on the first page of this thread. I really think the Lucere cuts are beautiful! Here is one just for reference:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8141/

I know most people are here with the best of intentions.
But you know what they say about good intentions.
If I was a consumer and looking for a radiant cut diamond, this site is rendered virtually useless by comments like the one in bold.
AN uninitiated reader comes here to ask questions, and people with 20k posts - who seem like experts- are telling him there's something wrong with that choice. No need to ask further questions.
I agree about not throwing out the baby with the bathwater- here's a great example: This is NOT like steering people away from lesser cut rounds.
Do Graff, Tiffany, Harry Winston etc know something we don't? They ALL carry gorgeous crushed ice diamonds.
You may prefer a radiant with heart and arrows- or one that has a facet patter similar to a RBC- but there is nothing "wrong" with a crushed ice stone.
There's a HUGE difference between advising folks based on what we love- compared to "factualizing" our taste to make them believe 90% of ladies don't like Radiant Cuts ( for example)
For what it's worth, Gypsy never said it as FACT. She said that 90% of the women SHE knew didn't care for them. That's worth noting. As as she said, and I completely agree, she'd have, as well as many of us, would have advised him to consider more what HIS GF wants, than just picking something NOT ROUND.

He DID NOT come here saying, hey, my lady wants a radiant...help! He did come here saying that she does not want a round and what we thought about radiant. Advising him to consider alternatives is what I love about PS and posts like this that start rants between posters does nothing but make us as a community look bad. He came here for advice, you could have gotten your point across by simpling stating that Gypsy's opinion NOT your experience and that you find radiants lovely. End of story.

I hope the OP comes back and we can help him find something suitable that HIS GF will want, since that is what really matters...not what we all have preferences for.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please have a look at the title of this thread- and the original post- the OP ( made the mistake) and asked for help selecting a Radiant cut diamond.
Very first post asked why he'd want a radiant.
And then the pile on starts-
"90% of ladies don't like Radiant cuts.... I'd NEVER surprise someone with one, yada yada"

I don't see many helpful posts- assisting the guy in how to buy a radiant.

I'd also be very happy if soldier returns.... he deserves the help he's asked for

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond said:
Thanks again DS- I totally appreciate the sentiment.
The amount of letters I get in support of taking a stand is incredible.

Please look at the posts in this thread- I'm not the only one who notices a kind of "bully" posture taken by certain posters. When I do state my opinion I'm nastily accused of "having an agenda" or called a pig.

My goal is honest representation of diamonds. There's so much misleading and incorrect info about diamonds out there- if PS is allowed to become just another source for misinformation, we've all lost something as lovers of diamonds and jewelry.

Off-topic, but, RD, I'd also like to thank you for contributing to this forum. I've noticed that there are instances in which a high post count comes with the entitlement to opine freely and authoritatively. I think you're a good and necessary balance to the Kool-Aid (same sentiments being echoed thus becoming "facts"), otherwise all that we'd have to admire around here would be rounds and chunky cushions.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Mog!!
I'll be here all week- BTW, the veal is excellent:)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
audball|1320094538|3051219 said:
Sharon, I do want to say that you have an exceptionally beautiful radiant! I think some of us are sort of down on that crushed ice look that some radiants have, just as we are not in favor of and do not recommend what we consider to be lesser cuts of round brilliants. So we do need to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater here!

I think the real point of the concern was that it might be risky choosing any fancy cut without knowing her preferences a little better.

If the OP wants a radiant, I would recommend that he consider both the Lucere Radiants that Good Old Gold carries because they have lovely facet patterns, or even try one of the princess of hearts since they are also cut cornered squares. I believe I posted some of both on the first page of this thread. I really think the Lucere cuts are beautiful! Here is one just for reference:

If I was a consumer and looking for a radiant cut diamond, this site is rendered virtually useless by comments like the one in bold.
AN uninitiated reader comes here to ask questions, and people with 20k posts - who seem like experts- are telling him there's something wrong with that choice. No need to ask further questions.
I agree about not throwing out the baby with the bathwater- here's a great example: This is NOT like steering people away from lesser cut rounds.
Do Graff, Tiffany, Harry Winston etc know something we don't? They ALL carry gorgeous crushed ice diamonds.
You may prefer a radiant with heart and arrows- or one that has a facet patter similar to a RBC- but there is nothing "wrong" with a crushed ice stone.
There's a HUGE difference between advising folks based on what we love- compared to "factualizing" our taste to make them believe 90% of ladies don't like Radiant Cuts ( for example)
For what it's worth, Gypsy never said it as FACT. She said that 90% of the women SHE knew didn't care for them. That's worth noting. As as she said, and I completely agree, she'd have, as well as many of us, would have advised him to consider more what HIS GF wants, than just picking something NOT ROUND.

He DID NOT come here saying, hey, my lady wants a radiant...help! He did come here saying that she does not want a round and what we thought about radiant. Advising him to consider alternatives is what I love about PS and posts like this that start rants between posters does nothing but make us as a community look bad. He came here for advice, you could have gotten your point across by simpling stating that Gypsy's opinion NOT your experience and that you find radiants lovely. End of story.

I hope the OP comes back and we can help him find something suitable that HIS GF will want, since that is what really matters...not what we all have preferences for.

Thank you audball.

For anyone who is interested there are DOZENS of threads like the ones below, these three are just the first ones I've found:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-favorite-and-least-favorite-shape-and-why.71865/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-favorite-and-least-favorite-shape-and-why.71865/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-favorite-shape-for-a-diamond.11664/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-favorite-shape-for-a-diamond.11664/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/favorite-shape-and-why.153303/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/favorite-shape-and-why.153303/[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, great find! I looked at the first thread to see what I posted 4 years ago:

"by diamondseeker2006 » 04 Nov 2007 13:48
Favorites: round brilliant, OEC, OMC, modern cushion with old cut, asscher, emerald

Least favorites: marquise, heart, princess

As I think about it, I think my taste will always lean toward the timeless, classic looks."

And my favorites today are exactly the same! (Ironically, radiant wasn't even on my mind at the time!)

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please keep to the topic of the thread and take the arguments off the forum. Be respectful of everyone's opinions. The OP and other members of this forum are smart enough to determine for themselves who they wish to listen to.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1320105767|3051330 said:
audball|1320094538|3051219 said:

Thank you audball.

For anyone who is interested there are DOZENS of threads like the ones below, these three are just the first ones I've found:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-favorite-and-least-favorite-shape-and-why.71865/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-favorite-and-least-favorite-shape-and-why.71865/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-favorite-shape-for-a-diamond.11664/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-favorite-shape-for-a-diamond.11664/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/favorite-shape-and-why.153303/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/favorite-shape-and-why.153303/[/URL]
You're welcome :D I enjoy your posts and find you to be helpful across the boards.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you again Audball I appreciate it very much.

So... SOLDIER! Are you still there (I hope)... what's the best friend's verdict on what you are buying your lady???

Inquiring minds want to know!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
There's nothing inherently wrong with radiants...just like there's nothing inherently wrong with rounds, princesses, hearts, marquise, asschers, emeralds, etc. It's 100% personal preference. We're not saying beautiful radiants don't exist. What most of us here are trying to say that radiant is not a commonly preferred shape in colorless diamonds, at least based on our experience on these forums. This is why we don't recommend shopping for a radiant unless she has specifically mentioned that she likes them. A princess, for example, is a safer choice because it's the second most popular diamond cut in the US. After that I would probably say cushion would be a good choice. But radiants do not make my list of "safe" diamond cuts to buy for someone who just says "surprise me, but no rounds."

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovemybling|1319570652|3047423 said:
I am really surprised by the ANTI- radiant sentiment here. I have a radiant, Mine is the more recatuglar or elongated shape and I love it. I think it gives me GREAT finger coverage tons of sparkle. People grab my hand all the time to ask me about it. It is unique without being out there or dated.

Just my opinion, let's try not to push our opinions to hard on those that my like something out side what is popular.
:bigsmile:

Agreed! I think Radiants are lovely and quite sparkly. In addition, I think among the general public they are much more liked than step cuts like asschers and emeralds. What's popular on PS is not necessarily popular outside of PS.

OP, I hope you're still here. How is your search going?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jstarfireb|1320117575|3051463 said:
There's nothing inherently wrong with radiants...just like there's nothing inherently wrong with rounds, princesses, hearts, marquise, asschers, emeralds, etc. It's 100% personal preference. We're not saying beautiful radiants don't exist. What most of us here are trying to say that radiant is not a commonly preferred shape in colorless diamonds, at least based on our experience on these forums. This is why we don't recommend shopping for a radiant unless she has specifically mentioned that she likes them. A princess, for example, is a safer choice because it's the second most popular diamond cut in the US. After that I would probably say cushion would be a good choice. But radiants do not make my list of "safe" diamond cuts to buy for someone who just says "surprise me, but no rounds."
All due respect, but who is "we" and "us"
Are there some group meeting where strategy is planned?
Or does each person speak only for themselves?

Great links to the older threads guys
I'm sure the first thing a new reader or poster does is do a thourough history check on everyone participating so they know how much you guys love radiant cuts....

Great point about the actual popularity of something versus it's popularity in a very small group of prolific posters

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1320106948|3051353 said:
Please keep to the topic of the thread and take the arguments off the forum. Be respectful of everyone's opinions. The OP and other members of this forum are smart enough to determine for themselves who they wish to listen to.

David, did you see Ella's post?

soldiersinx

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, sorry I haven't replied back. Just finished with some exams. Her best friend got back to me. Apparently, she likes either ROUND or PRINCESS cut. I have no idea why she told me she did not want a round one. It was probably a natural reaction of hers to always say no to my suggestions, lol. I will go back and read everything now. Thanks again everyone for all the advice!!! :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
soldiersinx|1320193963|3052126 said:
Hey guys, sorry I haven't replied back. Just finished with some exams. Her best friend got back to me. Apparently, she likes either ROUND or PRINCESS cut. I have no idea why she told me she did not want a round one. It was probably a natural reaction of hers to always say no to my suggestions, lol. I will go back and read everything now. Thanks again everyone for all the advice!!! :)

glad to see you back :) do you know if she prefers round or princess (or if she really doesn't care between those two?) we can definitely help you find some options.

soldiersinx

Rough_Rock
Circe|1319593985|3047663 said:
Could I ask if she knows what you're intending to spend? Because I'm having a little trouble reconciling the image of a lady who thinks $800 is exorbitant for jewelry with a lady who'll be completely comfortable with a ring worth almost twenty times that.

Generally, I am ALL in favor of spending up to the wire, don't get me wrong - and I think engagement is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and you want to do it right, and all that. But when you talk to her best friend, see if she has any ballpark notions about budget, too! Just because, well, it's sounding like there's the off-chance that if you show up with something 3 times bigger than what she was expecting, she might not respond with the unadulterated joy you might expect.

Or, she could just be like me - I'm happy to spend wads of money, but I hate the notion of overspending. So, bottom line - check with the friend to see if she can clue you in on shape, metal color, any boundaries on color or clarity or budget, and the name-brand vs. generic debate, and we will help you find a steal of a deal. :devil:

She knows how much I have saved up. There is very little surprise to this engagement. The only things that will be basically a surprise the type of ring and when I will ask her. I am not expecting her to be super happy when I ask, lol, I just want her to say yes, she doesn't have to jump for joy or anything, lol.

Kaleigh|1319594349|3047666 said:
You could take her for a fun day out trying rings on... Saying to her I know you want to be surprised and a surprise it will be. But I want to see how things look on you, and what fun it will be to see what you love and what makes your heart sing...Then take her to lunch..Make a day of it.

Then you having done that will know if she even likes radiants... She may be more of a Princess cut gal...

Diamonds are like wedding dresses... You don't know till you try them on.

I kind of hinted to her it might be best to actually try rings and find the one she would want. She kind of brushed it off, so this probably won't work, lol. The one thing I want to have is at least a ring so when i ask her parents permission to marry her, I would have something to show for it and to show I am serious, you know? Plus, I really don't have the time to take her out right now. She is in med school in New York doing rotations and I am in Hershey, PA for nursing school, so its almost 4 hours there and its so difficult to find any free time she has.

Also, for the posters asking about the $800 ring, it was just one of those random presents I got her, so she probably felt it was too much for something just random to get her, at least thats my thought.

backwardsandinheels|1319664200|3048240 said:
One thing I think I can guess is she wants it to sit low on the finger. What line of work is she in, so that the setting matches her lifestyle too? Know her ring size? Michael C. Fina, Mark Patterson and Sholdt are good places to get an idea for modern or vintage inspired settings. You've already gotten the links for great vintage ring links. And Victor Canera has unbelievable workmanship. Settings are $2500+ but they are the top in quality.

She is a med student, not sure what area she wants to work in, she is thinking peds right now, she still has 1-1/2 years, until she starts residency. I don't know her ring size :(

dontaskme|1319762903|3049041 said:
another idea would be to have her best friend take her to look at rings. I have done this with more than one of my gfs :) THe possibilities are endless... I would go with something classic and not too crazy. Hard to go wrong with a round in my opinion. Step cuts are beautiful and my fav but if you don't love them you usually hate them :)

Her best friend is at pittsburgh, so they don't get a chance to hang out much :(

Also, her best friend said she would probably like a single band ring, her other friend had a double band and said it was too bulky looking, she probably doesn't want stones since it might be over the top.

soldiersinx

Rough_Rock
I don't mind everyone's opinion, thats what an opinion is and it helps me a lot, since this is something I really don't have much idea about. Her friend said that she will email me pictures of the rings they looked at online or something and which ones she liked. Sorry for the random posting, I am reading everyones post and trying to respond to what I can, lol.

soldiersinx

Rough_Rock
slg47|1320194039|3052129 said:

glad to see you back :) do you know if she prefers round or princess (or if she really doesn't care between those two?) we can definitely help you find some options.

I think those are her two top choices, her friend said "she likes either round or princess cut" lol.

Also, can anyone help me edit the title, I will now change it to princess or round, lol.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Round or square! :bigsmile: Luckily "we" know of many very well stones cut with specs "you" might like. :appl:

In short the question is, how we help?[/i]

cheers--Sharon

soldiersinx

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1320195433|3052161 said:

HI:

Round or square! :bigsmile: Luckily "we" know of many very well stones cut with specs "you" might like. :appl:

In short the question is, how we help?[/i]

cheers--Sharon

Thanks canuk-gal, I am going to take a read about the vendors recommended by the site and see what their upgrade options, return policies and stuff like that are, and I'll see if I can find anything good while I am at.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is pretty funny that after 3 pages of umm debates about radiants, we are back to round and princess! :lol:

I am going to post a few diamonds for your consideration until we see the settings she likes. Then we can really help you more specifically!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

soldiersinx

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1320197109|3052188 said:

Thanks diamondseeker! I was about to say the same thing about whiteflash, I am really liking their policy and Liz from whiteflash contacted me before so I have someone there I can email back and forth with. I will take a look at those :)

edit: I am looking at the white flash round one, how important is the color in these types of situation where the cut is really good?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WhiteFlash definitely has great diamonds and a nice selection! I have diamond studs from WF and my daughter's engagement ring came from there last fall. =) Actually I have bought from all three of those vendors, and they are all excellent! Good luck to you!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
soldiersinx|1320197987|3052212 said:
diamondseeker2006|1320197109|3052188 said:

Thanks diamondseeker! I was about to say the same thing about whiteflash, I am really liking their policy and Liz from whiteflash contacted me before so I have someone there I can email back and forth with. I will take a look at those :)

edit: I am looking at the white flash round one, how important is the color in these types of situation where the cut is really good?

A good cut will make a diamond look 'whiter', so the importance of cut should be ranked above colour.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results