shape
carat
color
clarity

what is your favorite and least favorite shape and why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I thought this might be a fun topic.

My favorite shape is round brilliant. Super ideal cut because of all the sparkles it throws off. My least favorite is marquise cut. I have seen some pretty ones - my old boss had the beautiful HUGE one but my reason for them being my less favorite shape for me personally is that they look so darned sharp. My bosses ring looked like she could use it as a weapon because of the 2 sharp edges. I enjoyed sneaking looks at it when she was not looking but would be afraid to wear that thing.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Can I ask why your screen name is ASSCHERisme if your fav shape is round? I'm confused?! Thanks...Shouldn't your name be roundisme?
28.gif

As for favorites, I love old cut rounds but dont care for new RBs. I adore the classic lines of a well cut square EC/asscher, and I love old antique cushions (oh, and Boston Jeff's as well!). Other shapes can be nice in certain settings but I'd probably only ever want to own/wear the above cuts as they just seem to speak to me. I think it's because those cuts were so prevalent during the Art Deco and Edwardian periods and those are my favorite periods for jewelry design...if that makes sense!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I think I like them all. The only ones I probably would not wear would be a marquise (though when I was a little girl it was my dream stone!) or heart shape. They just don''t look good on my hand.

I have a RB now and I like it a lot but I also love ovals and cushions and ECs and.......rats, most all of them! I love the old cuts too. Probably would not want one for my ering, but would love a pendant or RHR or especially earrings from an OEC.

I''ll just take one of each!!
3.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ones I love:
round brilliants
old europeans
asschers
cushions

Ones I'm not a fan of:
Princesses
Marquises
hearts

Ones I'm so-so on:
pears
emeralds

I cannot explain why I do or do not like certain shapes, it's simply comes down to asthetic taste. Some look yummy and some don't!
2.gif

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
I love:

Round Brilliants
Cushions

These seem classic to me and convey a warmth

I do not like:

Emerald
Pear
Marquis

These seem colder to me. The big table of an emerald seems especiallycold to me

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
FAVES:
1. Asscher
2. Lucida
3. Cushion (chunky - not cracked glass)
4. OEC
5. Emerald Cut (especially if large
18.gif
)

LEAST-FAVES:
1. Trillion (
14.gif
)
2. Radiant (if not a colored diamond)
3. Heart
4. Rose
5. Criscut

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t choose my all time favorite...I love most. The ones I can definitely say I''m not a fan of are marquise and hearts.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite shape used to be radiant because of the unique sparkle and rectangular shape. I liked how unique it was and that I had something different than everyone else''s engagement ring. However, now my favorite shape is probably round because of how much sparkle there is. After owning my five stone band with rounds in it, I''ve realized that nothing beats the sparkle of a round.

My least favorite shape is probably heart. I like unique and classic, but not cheesy. To me hearts are a little cutsey and suitable for pendants and earrings, but I''d never want one for a ring.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
surfgirl, good question! I originally had a round diamond from my engagment 14 years ago. Last year, my husbnad bought me a gift of a beautiful asscher stone that I had always wanted . I am really drawn to step cuts. After wearing it a short time, I realized although I love step cuts, I prefer the sparkle of rounds and traded the stone in for a 1.63ct ideal cut round stone.

I registered right after I got the asscher as a gift so thats where my username came from. I was in my assher phase. Still love them, just not for me for daily wear.

E B

Ideal_Rock
My favorites are round brilliant, cushion and emerald. Shapes that can be lovely but just aren't me are heart, marquise and princess.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Favorites: round brilliant, OEC, OMC, modern cushion with old cut, asscher, emerald

Least favorites: marquise, heart, princess

As I think about it, I think my taste will always lean toward the timeless, classic looks.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
My favorites:
Radiant (well-cut ones are just incredible in my opinion)
Cushion
OEC or OMC (although I''ve never seen one IRL)
Pear
Asscher
Emerald
Round Brilliant

Least favorites:
Princess (for the most part anyway--I see poorly cut ones IRL but see some beautiful ones on here)
Heart
Marquise (just too pointy as others have said)

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Favorites

Round
Pear
Cushion

Least Favorites

Princess
Emerald
Marquis

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2007 1:48:09 PM
Author: EBree
My favorites are round brilliant, cushion and emerald. Shapes that can be lovely but just aren''t me are heart, marquise and princess.
Well, ebree, we certainly are in sync today! We posted almost the same things at the same time!

Raspberry

Rough_Rock
I love round brilliants for the sparkle; were that not a factor, my favorite shape would be the cushion. There is something so elegant about it. I also enjoy pears and emeralds. I do not like princess cuts or hearts. My least favorite is the marquise, though. I prefer more modern, sleek looking jewelry and marquise has an old-time feel to it for me.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My tastes are similar to Surfgirl and Decodelighted''s. I love step cuts and cuts with chunkier facets (cushions, OECs, OMCs). Not a big fan of princess or radiant cuts. I don''t mind marquis set E/W and I like pears as sidestones or in a pendant. I''m on the fence about round brilliants. I can appreciate a really well-cut RB, but 90% of the ones I see are meh.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
love:
round brilliant (sparkles)
OEC (chunky facets)
old mine brilliant (boston jeff''s leon solitaire)
emerald (2ct+)

not so much:
princess (pointy corners)
hearts (not for everyday wear)
trillion (star trek)
marquise (too skinny)

lxb87

Rough_Rock
I''ve always liked princess, but since I''ve been looking around here the past few weeks, I''m a big fan of asscher now too. My least favorite is marquis, simply because it reminds me of my aunt''s stone, which she paired with a jacket that made it... not very pretty. RBs are really nice, but not my style. I also like the shape of emerald cut, but every one I''ve seen doesn''t sparkle as much as RBs.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all diamonds
30.gif

favorite:
Princess
Emerald
Round
Oval
Asscher

Least favorite:
Marquise

indifferent:
Heart
Pear
Cushion

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I love most well-cut shapes, with one exception: marquis - I have never liked that shape so probably never will.

Hearts often show up as a least favorite, but I have a beautiful one set in a 17" link neck chain. It''s less than a carat (about .88) but its shape and cut are perfect. Would I like a heart shape in a ring? Maybe if there was a halo with well-cut melee around it.

If I had belonged to PS before I chose my e-ring upgrade, I think I would have chosen an asscher. I love the look of a great asscher (the bigger the better) with a band of asschers (not eternity, though) as a wedding ring.
30.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
My favorites are round brilliant,cushion, and emerald cuts. I don''t care for hearts or trilliant cuts.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2007 1:50:19 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 11/4/2007 1:48:09 PM

Author: EBree

My favorites are round brilliant, cushion and emerald. Shapes that can be lovely but just aren''t me are heart, marquise and princess.

Well, ebree, we certainly are in sync today! We posted almost the same things at the same time!

We sure did! By the way, you have superb taste.
9.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is fun:

Most favorite for beauty and sparkle:
Ideal cut RB
Heart (I know they aren''t that well cut but I love hearts)
Oval - well cut ones
Asscher

Okay:
Pear
Trillion
Princess Cut

Don''t care for:
Emerald
Square
Baguette

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Favorites:
Round
Pear
Asscher (bigger)
Emerald (bigger)
cushion

least:
Marquise (reminds me of the 80''s if in gold)(however, I kinda like in an east-west setting)
Princess
Radiant

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
favs
asscher
super-ideal rounds
EC
OEC
Some of the brilliant squares.

Cant stand:
princess and radiants they shouldn''t even be cut its a waste of good rough!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Favorites:
OEC
OMC
Transition cut
Antique cushion cut (notice a theme here?)
Asscher (I''m not sure I''d own one, but they look amazing!)
Emerald

Least favorite:
Radiant
Princess
Marquise
Heart

I really don''t like square stones and the pattern of the facets in them unless they are step cut.

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Favorite shapes that I have owned, or seen in person:

Owned and seen thus far:

Oval
RB

I have never seen an asscher, cushion,emerald cut, OEC, OMC sad eh?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a center stone, I dislike Princess and Marquise. But I''d take anything as a side stone.

My favourites are RB, and OEC. I am liking Pears a lot lately. I''d be happy with just about anything, including the much maligned Heart shape! I once had a coloured stone heart ring in my teens, and I''ve missed it a lot since it was lost.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am the only one who likes marquise'' I see--in fact I adore them! In an antique e/w setting, ohh lala! Given a selection of stones, likely the last shape I would buy amongst others would be a heart--yet when I saw Trishy''s stunner on PS, I loved it! Oh and i prefer tapered baguettes over the straight cut.......

cheers--Sharon

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2007 3:40:27 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I am the only one who likes marquise'' I see--in fact I adore them! In an antique e/w setting, ohh lala! Given a selection of stones, likely the last shape I would buy amongst others would be a heart--yet when I saw Trishy''s stunner on PS, I loved it! Oh and i prefer tapered baguettes over the straight cut.......

cheers--Sharon
they make kewl butterfly and dragonfly pendants but in a ring id pass!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results