shape
carat
color
clarity

what is your favorite and least favorite shape and why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Fave: cushion b/c i love the antique vibe to them and the chunky facets!
least fave: marquise. I don''t really know WHY, i guess the shape just screams 80''s to me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2007 3:47:17 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 11/4/2007 3:40:27 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I am the only one who likes marquise'' I see--in fact I adore them! In an antique e/w setting, ohh lala! Given a selection of stones, likely the last shape I would buy amongst others would be a heart--yet when I saw Trishy''s stunner on PS, I loved it! Oh and i prefer tapered baguettes over the straight cut.......

cheers--Sharon
they make kewl butterfly and dragonfly pendants but in a ring id pass!
HI:

I also think they''d be kewl in a DBTY necklace.......seems folks don''t "mind" them as an accessory stone but as a staple in a ER ''no can do''...yet my sisters antiquey low profile style ER with a 1 ct. marquise utterly suits her size 3.5 finger (biased?
1.gif
)

cheers--Sharon

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
Great topic!

My favourite shapes are the square cushion and the asscher as I am drawn to completely symmetrical shapes. I also find these two shapes to be very elegant, although I can't explain why:)

My least favourite shapes are:
-heart: too sentimental
-marquise and princess: too harsh due to the sharp points
-radiant: too busy

I also do not enjoy rounds. Even though they are the most lively, I find them very common.

I love that everyone's tastes are so varied! There's definitely a diamond shape for everyone!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
In order:

1. RB's
2. Emeralds
3. Cushions
4. Plump pears
5. Ovals
6. Cool antique cuts
7. Asschers
8. Plump marquises (esp. E/W)

And the only ones I actively dislike are:

1. Skinny marquises
2. Princesses (bleuch! but no offence!)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I''d take them like that, and I''d take anything as side stones. When I answered this I was thinking of a solitaire e-ring, pendant, or earrings...which is where I marquise, princess, and radiant would be my least favourite.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock

cushion, oec, omc, transitional...love the chunky facets and fire.
emerald...classic (my mother''s ring was an emerald cut and I always loved to play with her ring)
pear....always wanted it for my engagement ring

DISLIKE

marquise....just never liked them
heart....too little girlish
princess...don''t like the X pattern

misskiss

Rough_Rock
Fun topic!

Of course it would depend on the setting, but if I were to pick a shape for a solitaire
e-ring, here are my choices from favorite to least favorite:

Round (classic, most sparkle, seems like most natural shape for a diamond)
Asscher (love the shape, very art deco, but not as sparkly)
Radiant (similar to asscher but more sparkle)
Cushion (similar to radiant but corners are rounded)
Trillion (I know someone who has one and it''s actually a cool shape)
Oval (kind of boring, in my opinion)
Emerald (not enough sparkle)
Princess (sharp corners, don''t like the right angle prongs always used to set them)
Pear (not symmetrical)
Marquise (they just seem small to me b/c they''re narrow, no matter how big they are)
Heart (the shape just seems so unnatural, and too cheesy for a diamond)

lxb87

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/4/2007 3:53:42 PM
Author: DMBsGirl
least fave: marquise. I don''t really know WHY, i guess the shape just screams 80''s to me.
I feel the same way. Were marquis solitaires more popular in the 80''s than today, I wonder? I remember reading somewhere that half of all e-rings sold now are round, and a quarter are square.

Oval (is there a proper name for it?) is not my first choice either.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mine:

FAVOURITES:

1. OEC
2. Cushion
3. Oval
4. Round
5. Emerald

SO-SO (and only if they are great examples):

4. Pear
5. Assher
6. Radiant
ONES I WOULD TAKE BACK AND EXCHANGE IMMEDIATELY:

1. Princess
14.gif

2. Marquise
3. Heart

Linda74

Rough_Rock
Favorites:

jubilee
flanders
RB
Cushion Brilliant
Emerald
Radiant

Least Favorite
Marquise
Oval
Princess
Pear

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorites are cushions and ovals (although I have yet to find the *perfect* oval).

Wouldn''t take a heart if someone gave it to me for free, BUT, I think they make interesting side stones in lieu of pears. Fatter; more north-south coverage, and you often can''t see the cleave unless you are thiiiiiiis close.

As for marquise, I have come to appreciate them a little more. There is a really fat one at Graff that screams "Hello!" to me every time I walk by the window.

Hmmm.... maybe a fat marquise with heart side stones would be a fun project...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2007 5:50:27 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
6.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is tough! If you're asking for center stones, only, then my answers will be totally different than if lumping in sidestones as well. I guess I'll just specify
9.gif
And all of these are just FOR ME, because even the least-faves I enjoy on other people.

Favorites:

Royal Asscher
Cushion (chunky facets, and v. square l/w ratio)
OEC
OMC
Briolette (really want a pendant some day!)
Flanders
FAT emeralds
Jubilee
Victorian
Faves for sidestones: bullets, traps, marquises, and pears.

Least-favorites
(enjoy these very much on other people, just not for me!):
Heart
Skinny emeralds
Oval
Marquise (love them for sidestones, though)
Pears (ditto on the sidestones--fabulous with a round)
Ideal-cut RB (little to "industrial" for me--they're SO SO perfect!)
Least-favorites for sidestones: rounds, ovals

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting again to include marquis.

Most favorite for beauty and sparkle:
Ideal cut RB
Heart (I know they aren''t that well cut but I love hearts)
Oval - well cut ones
Asscher
Okay:
Pear
Trillion
Princess Cut
Marquis
Don''t care for:
Emerald
Square
Baguette

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2007 5:50:27 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
As for marquise, I have come to appreciate them a little more. There is a really fat one at Graff that screams ''Hello!'' to me every time I walk by the window.

See, I could totally get into a project like that! I like hearts as sidestones too. I also like a fatter marquise, when you describe it that way. I think my dislike of them comes from the 70''s when my really mean and abusive aunt always wore them.
38.gif
I also agree that an E-W set marquise is interesting. I guess that leaves me only really disliking Princess stones, and I''m not even sure why.

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to add: I would love to see a Flanders and a Gabrielle(my oldest daughter's name is Gabrielle, so that would have a lot of sentimentality for me) and def. a Royal Asscher. I need to travel to a large city and spend a day checking out various diamond shapes in real life!!

36.gif

I don't really have any dislikes as far as shape, but I am not overly keen on Princess, or Baquettes.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Favorite: Up to 3 ct.-Round Brilliant. Over 3 ct. - Emerald These shapes just seem to make the most classically beautiful rings.

Least Favorite: Radiant - Agree with Storm..seems like a waste of rough

All the rest are various stages in between.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good topic! And I love how everyone has such different taste!

My faves, sort of in order:

OEC
OMC
Radiant
Asscher, especially Royal Asscher
Marquise (E/W)
Cushion
Emerald
Round

My least faves:

Heart
Trillion
Princess

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
I love Emerald cuts and always have. They seem so elegant and make a statement without having to be flashy. They also have to be an excellent quality as you can see right in them. They elongate the finger and are classic. Asschers are also gorgeous but I prefer the rectangular shape of the emerald cut stone. I also love the Marquise shape as it elongates the finger as well.

I''ve never been a fan of round diamonds as they do nothing for my hand. Just to common. I also like a more rectangular cushion. It''s all about lengthening the finger to me. And, I like something that is not as common. I recently got an EC for my 20th Anniversary with a Halo and I have never received more compliments. It flashes light and not many people have them in my neck of the woods. Almost every young girl I work with has a Princess cut. They are beautiful, but do nothing for my hand. The next most common is the round. Again, pretty but too common for me and they do absolutely nothing for my hand. I like more unique shapes.

My Aunt has an Old European Cut stone and it is amazing. It is like no other round stone I have seen. If I had to do round, it would be that cut. The sparkle is stunning!

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
I''m with MC all the way!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d spend my hard earned money on:

Rounds
Cushions
Chunky Antique cut

I might buy...

Pear

I wouldn''t buy, but wouldn''t turn down wearing...

Asscher
Emerald
A cool pudgy east/west set marquise
Oval

Would take it, but would sell it because I don''t care to wear...

Trillion
Princess
Radiant
Crisscut

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends for me.

I don''t really like princesses or radiants. But have liked a couple of square radiants I''ve seen on here.

Don''t care for hearts.

Not a fan of rose cuts so much.

I don''t like marquise as solitares pendants or rings, but love them in DBY necklaces bezel set, on in the swing set by Tiffany. I like them in drop earrings. Also in a couple of multistone rings I''ve seen when they are part of a design.

I like pears, as the bottom stone in drop earrings, rings, and particularly as pendants.

I love oval three stones with half moons on my finger, love them east west, but they look wrong on my hand that way.

I ADORE OEC, transitional cuts, and OMC as rings or earrings-- but not so much as pendants.

I LOVE asschers for rings and pendants, but LARGE asschers.

Round brilliants are just generally the best for studs IMO. And I like them as pendants, though not as much as pear pendants. But I dont'' think I''d want one as an E-ring.

EC''s are lovely as drop earrings or rings.

LOVE cushions for everything, including studs. LOL.

Love the princess of hearts, and other brilliant octagon proprietary cuts like the Flanders, but they all seem to have 70 depths, and that bugs me in terms of spread. But if it weren''t for that... they''d be at the top of the list of shapes I love.

bunniesoup

Rough_Rock
Oooh. Question: Why does everyone dislike Princess cuts? Is it the corners? Because I feel pretty blah about them to. But I love the crushed ice sparkle they have! So maybe an X-factor from WF would be nice.

I''m new but I guess I''ll share
1.gif

Round Brilliants (having the arrows pattern gives you a certain knowledgable satisfaction)
Cushions (they''re little pillows made of diamond!)
Emeralds [in larger sizes] (there''s a mature feel about them. no need for flashy sparkle. but a great emphasis on superior clarity and color.)

Dislikes:
Hearts
20.gif

Very skinny Pears or Marquise

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, my wedding ring is a marquise and no one likes them
9.gif

Linda

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Linda, sorry not a fan of marquise,

However, I''ll take that amazing pad sapphire in your avatar. You can just ship it to me and I promise I''ll give it a lovely setting and lots of right hand time :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2007 10:13:26 PM
Author: Linda W
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, my wedding ring is a marquise and no one likes them
9.gif

Linda
HI:

Except for me; but I shouldn''t talk as I have a radiant!
9.gif
9.gif
19.gif
hhehhehhehhehheeeheeeeeeeeeeeee

cheers--Sharon

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Asscherisme.

Actually my Pad is in a setting and I frequently wear it as my wedding ring. I Love it sooooooooo much.

Sharon: At least you like Marquise. LOL
35.gif

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Great topic. I''ve seen many shapes at Graff that I normally wouldn''t care for and they are just gorgeous, but if I had to pick it would be the following... (only including stones that I''d use as center stones)

Favorite:
Emerald
Cushion
Asscher

Least Favorite:
Marquise
Princess
Oval (I do like them set east-west though)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2007 10:09:22 PM
Author: bunniesoup
Oooh. Question: Why does everyone dislike Princess cuts? Is it the corners? Because I feel pretty blah about them to. But I love the crushed ice sparkle they have! So maybe an X-factor from WF would be nice.
I don''t like the harsh square shape, corners, the prongs normally used to set them (bulky to me), faceting pattern, and small face up due to depth. I have seen some nice princess rings on here, but for the most part, I think that a lot of settings aren''t flattering to princesses.

Interestingly the setting I have I think is good for a princess, and I loved the modernity of it. I stuck a cushion in it, which you wouldn''t think would work, but somehow I think I can get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results