shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help - Radiant 15k budget

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh|1319594349|3047666 said:
You could take her for a fun day out trying rings on... Saying to her I know you want to be surprised and a surprise it will be. But I want to see how things look on you, and what fun it will be to see what you love and what makes your heart sing...Then take her to lunch..Make a day of it.

Then you having done that will know if she even likes radiants... She may be more of a Princess cut gal...

Diamonds are like wedding dresses... You don't know till you try them on.

+1

My SO completely changed her mind after trying rings on.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
thbmok|1319594584|3047668 said:
Kaleigh|1319594349|3047666 said:
You could take her for a fun day out trying rings on... Saying to her I know you want to be surprised and a surprise it will be. But I want to see how things look on you, and what fun it will be to see what you love and what makes your heart sing...Then take her to lunch..Make a day of it.

Then you having done that will know if she even likes radiants... She may be more of a Princess cut gal...

Diamonds are like wedding dresses... You don't know till you try them on.

+1

My SO completely changed her mind after trying rings on.

I LOVE this idea. I really do.

Until I tried them on I thought I ABSOLUTELY wanted an east west oval for a RHR. OMG do they look horrible on my hands!

Trying things on makes a huge difference.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I totally Love this idea. Any man who told me let's go play at the jewlery store and then took me someplace fabulous to eat. What a fun day.

good luck :bigsmile:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
From what she's told you, it does sound as if she's discussed this with her best friend, so let's hope she's in the know and can give you more to go on (shape, style, etc.). I'm with Circe, though, on the budget thing--if she thought $800 was too much for a ring, $15k might kill her. Any idea what the wedding budget will be like? I have a 22 year old cousin who wants the cheapest possible ring so she can have her big princess wedding, while I had a $6k wedding and would happily pay triple that for my dream upgrade ring.

Come back after talking to the friend(s), mom, etc.! :appl:

ETA: the day of ring shopping is also a good idea, but she may not want to do that if she wants to be surprised. You could tell her you have 'something in mind' but that you want to confirm your hunch.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a 3 stone emerald ring under budget at www.jewelsbyericagrace.com

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-diamonds/178ctw-est-3-Stone-Emerald-Cut/11584125_nqqzm8#816170606_rT3iU

And for the lady who loves unique one of a kind pieces with a vintage flavor-be still my heart I love this ring
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/210ct-Emerald-and-French-Cut/16940990_QjMfMG#1280794135_nzJnPXD

Another 3 stone emerald cut
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-91-197

A 5 stone emerald cut
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-3891

A bit over budget but it's huge and I bet they'd come down a bit on the price
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3128

2+ carat oval
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3261

2+ carat cushion
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3190

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this ring-bezel set step cuts with french cut side stone! :love:
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-1286

Another oval
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4399

Another cushion
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-3751

As you can see with your budget you have A LOT of options. You can get a brand new ring with a good size center stone and a designer or custom setting depending on what you are looking for. Good luck!

pmbspyder

Rough_Rock
can't agree more with others about her trying stuff on. initially my girl thought she wanted an emerald cut gemstone. when she got to the stores it turned into a round diamond, and by the end of the day and many rings later she found that she couldn't live without a princess. HAVE HER TRY THEM ON!!!!!!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
One thing I think I can guess is she wants it to sit low on the finger. What line of work is she in, so that the setting matches her lifestyle too? Know her ring size? Michael C. Fina, Mark Patterson and Sholdt are good places to get an idea for modern or vintage inspired settings. You've already gotten the links for great vintage ring links. And Victor Canera has unbelievable workmanship. Settings are $2500+ but they are the top in quality.

soldiersinx

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info guys, will read and respond to them when I get a chance, studying for a big exam tomorrow :( Thank you and I appreciate all the help! Messaged her best friend to get some tips, just waiting on her. Thanks :)

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
another idea would be to have her best friend take her to look at rings. I have done this with more than one of my gfs :) THe possibilities are endless... I would go with something classic and not too crazy. Hard to go wrong with a round in my opinion. Step cuts are beautiful and my fav but if you don't love them you usually hate them :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dontaskme|1319762903|3049041 said:
another idea would be to have her best friend take her to look at rings. I have done this with more than one of my gfs :) THe possibilities are endless... I would go with something classic and not too crazy. Hard to go wrong with a round in my opinion. Step cuts are beautiful and my fav but if you don't love them you usually hate them :)

His girlfriend already told him no rounds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Radiant cuts are EXTREMELY popular.
Round is the most common shape- after that Princess Cut.
Likely Radiant is next after Princess- but I don't have stats to back that up.

Radiant cuts can look great in either colorless, or fancy colors.
We've been involved in many many surprise rings that featured Radiant cuts.
In any surprise situation, it's possible the recipient won;' love the gift- but in terms of percentages, Radiant cut is a good choice- especially if she's already ruled out rounds.

In terms of vendors, it's important to look at many different vendors.
The cut was invented by Henry Grossbard. Some places carry stones totally different than the original design.
Crushed ice is also very popular- but deciding which type of sparkle is best really has a lot to do with taste.
I think it's important to avoid trying to categorize things negatively simply because we ourselves do not love something.
Other people may love it a lot.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lovemybling|1319570652|3047423 said:
I am really surprised by the ANTI- radiant sentiment here. I have a radiant, Mine is the more recatuglar or elongated shape and I love it. I think it gives me GREAT finger coverage tons of sparkle. People grab my hand all the time to ask me about it. It is unique without being out there or dated.

Just my opinion, let's try not to push our opinions to hard on those that my like something out side what is popular.
:bigsmile:
+1 to that!
Clearly, a few folks that post a lot here have "anti-radiant" agendas.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i just want to get something clear here... i too am a guy... and when i proposed i DID ask what shape she likes... asking for a shape she likes does NOT take away the surprise factor... it is after all her ring and she will wear it for the rest of her life as others have mentioned... the surprise is the ring itself IMO... the setting... so whatever you do, please please PLEASE, find out what shape she likes... good thing i have a great taste in jewellery when it comes to it... :D

i too love radiants... after step cuts that its... asschers and ECs are my favorites...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clearly, you're a wise man Ace!

soldiersinx - I know this can be daunting.
I say you play the "what if" game.
Ask her....
Honey, if I was going to buy you a car- what kind would you want?
How about a purse"?
Diamond?'
etc...

But another really good thing to do is make sure to buy with a money back guarantee.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1319835880|3049607 said:
I am really surprised by the ANTI- radiant sentiment here. I have a radiant, Mine is the more recatuglar or elongated shape and I love it. I think it gives me GREAT finger coverage tons of sparkle. People grab my hand all the time to ask me about it. It is unique without being out there or dated.

Just my opinion, let's try not to push our opinions to hard on those that my like something out side what is popular.
+1 to that!

I never thought I liked radiants either, until I saw some nice ones. They have great sparkle even in smaller carat weights.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue-Seeker|1319847064|3049723 said:
Rockdiamond|1319835880|3049607 said:

+1 to that!

I never thought I liked radiants either, until I saw some nice ones. They have great sparkle even in smaller carat weights.

No agenda. ROFLMAO! There is no Legion Of Doom out to discriminate against radiant diamonds. But I appreciate the laugh :lol: . Just been here for a REALLY LONG TIME as a member and know that many people do not care for the crushed ice look a radiant has. A lot of people also confuse them with princesses and buy them instead of princesses because of that, and the fact that they don't have fragile corners.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hahaha
Yes it is kind of funny to try to impose one's taste on others!!
Well, actually not
Crushed ice is loved by many people- it's a matter of taste
If the idea of this forum is education, shouldn't we separate our own taste from "facts"?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1319897351|3049878 said:
Hahaha
Well, actually not
If the idea of this forum is education, shouldn't we separate our own taste from "facts"?

RD... if you look at ALL of my posts in this thread I have not tried ONCE to impose anything on the OP but rather to encourage him to ask his lady what she wants or to find out what she wants. If she wants a radiant, I know how to shop for them and am happy to assist.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1319530174|3047138 said:
Do NOT pick a radiant without KNOWING your lady wants one. PLEASE I would say that 90% of the women I know do NOT like radiants at all. And would prefer a smaller stone of different shape over a larger radiant.

Princess, cushion, emerald cut are all safer. And square cushions are the safest, with emerald cuts second.

Radiants and marquise both are NOT shapes you 'surprise' someone with. Too many people dislike them.

Also, have someone ask her if she likes pears or ovals. They are both spready and a good value and not round.

Just curious, but how is this not attempting to steer someone away from a stone they've asked for help in selecting?
Now, it seems you've generously offered to help this guy find a diamond in this horribly unpopular shape.
Gypsy- please give us your lesson on how to pick a well cut radiant.

Since you've been here all so long- what's the percentage of PS readers that do not love crushed ice?
And since you're using your acute knowledge of what other PS members love as a benchmark to advise soldier how unpopular crushed ice is, what are the statistics in the general public?

Soldier- I apologize for all the drama. If we had a poll asking which is better , Hot dogs or hamburgers we'd get similar differences in taste. That's all well and good.
But its one thing to say- I prefer Hot dogs- quite another to start quoting fake stats to try and dissuade someone simply because it's not your taste

It's a great idea to try and get as much "inside info" about what she loves as you can garner- then it's VERY important to buy from a place with a money back guarantee ( also could be used as an exchange- but having the money back aspect puts the onus on the seller to make sure you're ( and she) are satisfied.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1319999930|3050482 said:
HI:

Here is a picture of my radiant (non crushed ice cut for IRL perspective)...hope the link works....

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/real-life-perspective.111753/page-27']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/real-life-perspective.111753/page-27[/URL]

cheers--Sharon
NICE ring!!!

From the photos, your stone looks like a "Starburst"- which looks a lot more like a round brilliant in the middle.

Radiant and traps together is , IMO, one of the true classic three stone combos.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1319897351|3049878 said:
Hahaha
Well, actually not

RD--

I don't think anyone was trying to change the mind of the OP, but we were trying to help educate him by introducing him to other cuts that he might want to consider, since the only guidance he has gotten from his girlfriend is that she does not want a round diamond.

There are so many great cuts, I, personally, didn't want the OP to limit himself to just radiant diamonds, since it seems he came to that decision from trying to find a cut other than round.

There are many great radiant cut diamonds, and I'm sure we can find a great one, if that is indeed the path he chooses, but I would like him to know about all of his options before deciding.

SM

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with almost every post in the thread, very good advice given by and large.
He should look at as many diamonds as possible- and surely of as many shapes as he can.
The OP came specially asking about Radiant cut diamonds.
I just feel like we're doing him a disservice creating an impression that there's something inherently wrong with wanting a radiant.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No one has to go very far to find threads where OP's come looking for radiants and are quickly discouraged from the same; as a radiant owner I recall many statements in kind/such as: "this is the last shape I would buy".

But I digress, and the OP is apparently long gone as often happens when posters come looking for radiants!

Please come back OP and let us help you without devolving any further.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, I do want to say that you have an exceptionally beautiful radiant! I think some of us are sort of down on that crushed ice look that some radiants have, just as we are not in favor of and do not recommend what we consider to be lesser cuts of round brilliants. So we do need to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater here!

I think the real point of the concern was that it might be risky choosing any fancy cut without knowing her preferences a little better.

If the OP wants a radiant, I would recommend that he consider both the Lucere Radiants that Good Old Gold carries because they have lovely facet patterns, or even try one of the princess of hearts since they are also cut cornered squares. I believe I posted some of both on the first page of this thread. I really think the Lucere cuts are beautiful! Here is one just for reference:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8141/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon, I've always liked your ring, there are quite a few PS radiants that I like. I'm not a person who dissuades people from any shape they really want and aren't using a dart board to pick. Here's a recent thread on radiants, and you can see that while I didn't care for the actual radiant the OP chose, I did point him toward ones I like better without qualm: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-on-a-radiant.167480/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-on-a-radiant.167480/[/URL] I actually prefer a well cut radiant over a princess myself because of the corners.

I like marquise myself, as well. I almost bought one last month instead of my OEC. That said, if a woman said "no rounds" and a guy decided that meant marquise I would post the same advice, verbatim, I posted in this thread.

The entire point is that it doesn't matter what I want.

"Not round" doesn't mean square, rectangle, marquise, pear or oval. It just means NOT ROUND. And of the non-round choices I really do feel that marquise and radiants are the riskiest.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1320002497|3050506 said:
canuk-gal|1319999930|3050482 said:
HI:

Here is a picture of my radiant (non crushed ice cut for IRL perspective)...hope the link works....

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/real-life-perspective.111753/page-27']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/real-life-perspective.111753/page-27[/URL]

cheers--Sharon
NICE ring!!!

From the photos, your stone looks like a "Starburst"- which looks a lot more like a round brilliant in the middle.

Radiant and traps together is , IMO, one of the true classic three stone combos.

Thank you David. :))

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Diamondseeker and Gypsy--once again you honor me in praise of my choice; and as we are old friends you understand me well enough to know I would not post a picture of my ring in order to beg a compliment. But I thank you nonetheless.

We all have perspectives and that will inform and "color" our posts and I appreciate the experience, time and effort that goes into helping folks who post here looking for help. It is what makes PS useful--and interesting! :bigsmile: :saint:

Now where is the OP??????

cheers--Sharon

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1320021066|3050661 said:
Sharon, I do want to say that you have an exceptionally beautiful radiant! I think some of us are sort of down on that crushed ice look that some radiants have, just as we are not in favor of and do not recommend what we consider to be lesser cuts of round brilliants. So we do need to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater here!

I think the real point of the concern was that it might be risky choosing any fancy cut without knowing her preferences a little better.

If the OP wants a radiant, I would recommend that he consider both the Lucere Radiants that Good Old Gold carries because they have lovely facet patterns, or even try one of the princess of hearts since they are also cut cornered squares. I believe I posted some of both on the first page of this thread. I really think the Lucere cuts are beautiful! Here is one just for reference:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8141/

I know most people are here with the best of intentions.
But you know what they say about good intentions.
If I was a consumer and looking for a radiant cut diamond, this site is rendered virtually useless by comments like the one in bold.
AN uninitiated reader comes here to ask questions, and people with 20k posts - who seem like experts- are telling him there's something wrong with that choice. No need to ask further questions.
I agree about not throwing out the baby with the bathwater- here's a great example: This is NOT like steering people away from lesser cut rounds.
Do Graff, Tiffany, Harry Winston etc know something we don't? They ALL carry gorgeous crushed ice diamonds.
You may prefer a radiant with heart and arrows- or one that has a facet patter similar to a RBC- but there is nothing "wrong" with a crushed ice stone.
There's a HUGE difference between advising folks based on what we love- compared to "factualizing" our taste to make them believe 90% of ladies don't like Radiant Cuts ( for example)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results