shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring- center stone selection

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Been lurking on this forum for the last few weeks as Im on the hunt for an engagement ring for my long term GF. She really likes the pave twist type of settings. I started with a few found on Brilliant earth, but they do not sell settings w/o center stones, and Im concerned about quality/price buying the main rock there. After reading through here it looks like James Allen for the center stone is a good supplier for both price and return policy. Right now my options are:

1-Get both setting and diamond from James Allen. If going this route, the setting would be this:

2- Get setting from 3rd party, and stone from another site (bluenile, james allen). In this case, I really like (although pricey):

I have a few question I was hoping to get some advice on:

1-The center stone. Ive got a budget of about $8k there. Looking to get something G color, VS1 (or 2), and excellent cut (or true hearts as james allen calls it?).
From james allen I was looking at this, good bang for the buck or can do better?

2-My concern about getting the setting elsewhere is getting it actually set. maybe Im paranoid. Is this a valid concern?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do NOT buy from Brilliant Earth. Here are just two recent threads with people talking about problems they had, and there are a lot more on other sites as wel - if for whatever reason you have a problem or want to return, they are really terrible to deal withl:

The twist setting is pretty common, and both James Allen and Blue Nile have versions of it. Given that you want a round brilliant and a pretty common setting style, I would just get both at the same place. You'd be able to have the diamond insured while being set if you used Jeweler's Mutual jewelry insurance but there's really no need to go through the extra hassle.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You will need to inquire about the GIA certs to really make a decision on the stone

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at Blue Nile? A lot of good stones there, with video *and* GIA reports. Also Whiteflash. They sell a lot of different settings and the diamonds are high quality. There are others too

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your post reminds me of when I started the journey for a ring for my (now) wife.

I had a tough time finding a setting for her, and ultimately ended up doing something custom. I bought her stone from Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) in Houston and had David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles do the setting, and later, the matching wedding band. When it was done, it was shipped to me on the other side of the country, so I managed to do all this online, email, phone and texts.

While it would have been easier to do things with one vendor and use a stock setting, I have no regrets about the journey I opted to take. I had trying moments but it was manageable and now that it's over I feel it was always the path I was meant to take.

Anyhow, this thread may help with setting choices. A bunch of options were tossed my way.

Here's the custom setting journey. Page 9, post #257 shows the final product.

It's been my experience, once you find the rock then you can decide what to do with the setting. FYI, many of JA's settings you can just straight out purchase and then ship to your vendor where you are buying the stone to have it set. There's usually a $100 fee to do this, but that's a drop in the bucket.

WF Premium Select (PS) 1.26ct H VS2 @ $8,658 wire

58 table, 61.6 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion, 75 LGF & 50 stars. Measures at ~6.90mm, and has a 0.9 HCA score.

If you have any wiggle room, I think you will be hard pressed to beat this stone. It has awesome proportions, and definitely has no shortage of fire and beauty. Just look at that little fireball in the video!

Additionally this stone has a complete set of advanced light performance (ASET & Idealscope) and symmetry (hearts & arrows) images to confirm the precision cutting and performance of this stone. Most places you shop will not have or even offer this advanced imagery, and it's a shame as it allows us to confirm or deny a stone's excellence.

If you aren't aware, WhiteFlash (WF) is a super ideal vendor that produces ideal cut diamonds with true hearts & arrow (H&A) symmetry. Hands down, they are some of the most beautiful diamonds in the world. They have 3 primary product lines:
  1. A Cut Above (ACA) = Their cream of the crop top line product. Each stone comes with AGS000 certification, exhibits true H&A symmetry + meets their very strict set of ACA specifications.
  2. Expert Select (ES) = Near miss ACA's that have AGS000 certification
  3. Premium Select (PS) = Near miss ACA's and some that look to be ACA's but with GIA XXX certification as opposed to AGS000 certification
This above stone is a PS and is a very tight stone. It appears it only missed ACA for two reasons. First there is a some green that shows up around the 6 o'clock position on the ASET image indicating some sort of minute girdle manipulation. FYI, if you aren't sure how to read/intepret the ASET image, read here.

Secondly, it has GIA certification as opposed to AGS.

That's it. Again, this stone is very tight and a rock solid performer. It will beat 99%+ of stones out there. And you're picking up a discount because it's marked as PS vs ACA. So it's a great value to boot!

But wait...there's more. :lol: Seriously there is though. WF has a vastly superior upgrade program compared to JA, BN or similar. With those guys you have to spend 2x the original amount, and sometimes you have other restrictions as well.

With WF you simply spend $1 more and you get full credit of the original stone to use towards your new stone -- no other strings. The trade program includes ACA, ES and PS stones. And look at WF's inventory. It's very deep so you have good selection of color, clarity and carat weight even as you get into the larger sizes (where many vendors fail to offer inventory depth).

Capture1hca.PNG

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
Your post reminds me of when I started the journey for a ring for my (now) wife.

I had a tough time finding a setting for her, and ultimately ended up doing something custom. I bought her stone from Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) in Houston and had David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles do the setting, and later, the matching wedding band. When it was done, it was shipped to me on the other side of the country, so I managed to do all this online, email, phone and texts.

While it would have been easier to do things with one vendor and use a stock setting, I have no regrets about the journey I opted to take. I had trying moments but it was manageable and now that it's over I feel it was always the path I was meant to take.

Anyhow, this thread may help with setting choices. A bunch of options were tossed my way.

It's been my experience, once you find the rock then you can decide what to do with the setting. FYI, many of JA's settings you can just straight out purchase and then ship to your vendor where you are buying the stone to have it set. There's usually a $100 fee to do this, but that's a drop in the bucket.

58 table, 61.6 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion, 75 LGF & 50 stars. Measures at ~6.90mm, and has a 0.9 HCA score.

If you have any wiggle room, I think you will be hard pressed to beat this stone. It has awesome proportions, and definitely has no shortage of fire and beauty. Just look at that little fireball in the video!

Additionally this stone has a complete set of advanced light performance (ASET & Idealscope) and symmetry (hearts & arrows) images to confirm the precision cutting and performance of this stone. Most places you shop will not have or even offer this advanced imagery, and it's a shame as it allows us to confirm or deny a stone's excellence.

If you aren't aware, WhiteFlash (WF) is a super ideal vendor that produces ideal cut diamonds with true hearts & arrow (H&A) symmetry. Hands down, they are some of the most beautiful diamonds in the world. They have 3 primary product lines:
  1. A Cut Above (ACA) = Their cream of the crop top line product. Each stone comes with AGS000 certification, exhibits true H&A symmetry + meets their very strict set of ACA specifications.
  3. Premium Select (PS) = Near miss ACA's and some that look to be ACA's but with GIA XXX certification as opposed to AGS000 certification
This above stone is a PS and is a very tight stone. It appears it only missed ACA for two reasons. First there is a some green that shows up around the 6 o'clock position on the ASET image indicating some sort of minute girdle manipulation. FYI, if you aren't sure how to read/intepret the ASET image, read here.

That's it. Again, this stone is very tight and a rock solid performer. It will beat 99%+ of stones out there. And you're picking up a discount because it's marked as PS vs ACA. So it's a great value to boot!

But wait...there's more. :lol: Seriously there is though. WF has a vastly superior upgrade program compared to JA, BN or similar. With those guys you have to spend 2x the original amount, and sometimes you have other restrictions as well.

With WF you simply spend $1 more and you get full credit of the original stone to use towards your new stone -- no other strings. The trade program includes ACA, ES and PS stones. And look at WF's inventory. It's very deep so you have good selection of color, clarity and carat weight even as you get into the larger sizes (where many vendors fail to offer inventory depth).

Capture1hca.PNG

wanted to thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to write this up. I will be diving into it all right away!

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
wanted to thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to write this up. I will be diving into it all right away!

The diamond you sent looks great. Quick question if you do not mind. Im trying to see if I can find something similar from James Allen. The setting she likes is a halo so the process if I buy from WF would be getting it sent to me, and me sending to JA for setting. Id like to purchase the diamond and setting both from JA to make this easier. But only if I can find a comprable diamond at JA.

I found this:

How does it compare? Outside of Color, cut, clarity Im a little green on the other quality measurements.

Thanks

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
You need to request the GIA report.

The diamond does not look promising but it is tilted so really hard to tell (especially without the report).

Have not used Allurez so cant comment on it.

thanks, requesting it. They do breakdown the GIA report in the linked post, but Ill get the actual copy

teddyb326

Rough_Rock

Capture1hca.PNG

Im trying to find a stone a bit cheaper at this is out of my budget but definitely the best HCA rating I can find.

Any suggestions on a WF option below 8k?

Also many are AGS, any reason to stay away from AGS

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im trying to find a stone a bit cheaper at this is out of my budget but definitely the best HCA rating I can find.

Nope, no reason to avoid AGS. AGS is stricter on cut quality, so many super ideal vendors prefer it. But that doesn't mean GIA stones are "bad", just that GIA XXX doesn't mean anything and many are terrible so you need to be extra careful.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond you sent looks great. Quick question if you do not mind. Im trying to see if I can find something similar from James Allen. The setting she likes is a halo so the process if I buy from WF would be getting it sent to me, and me sending to JA for setting. Id like to purchase the diamond and setting both from JA to make this easier. But only if I can find a comprable diamond at JA.

I found this:

How does it compare? Outside of Color, cut, clarity Im a little green on the other quality measurements.

Thanks

You need to request and post the lab report for verification, but the IS and hearts image looks promising. No crazy leakage detectable and symmetry seems spot on.

Has anyone experience with Allurez Diamonds? I found a setting here, but the diamonds Im not sure:

No experience with them, but I dislike the fact you have to request a lab report instead of it being readily available.

In regards to the diamond, if that's the actual diamond image there is no visible symmetry or formation of arrows. That's a bad sign.

Also, I see it has very strong fluor. You will need to vet the stone to ensure it doesn't take on a cloudy or hazy appearance in various lighting conditions as such. This is likely why the stone is discounted cheaper. Stones with fluor sell/trade for less money. The stronger the level, the more the discount.

This doesn't mean fluor is bad. It's a preference. As long as it doesn't have transparency issues, it can be a smart way to save few bucks.

That steep 35.5 CA doesn't play nice with a 40.8 PA. The lack of a good patterning, and the risk of strong fluor has me not liking it.

FYI, ran an HCA for you and it scores 2.8 and only very good's as opposed to excellent on light return, fire & scintillation.

I'd keep looking -- you can do better.

CaptureHCA.PNG

The vast majority of WF's in-house stones will be AGS certified. They are the preferred lab for ideal cut quality. No reason to shy away from them. Most of us here prefer them.

I'm happy to take another look. Refresh my brain about your size, color, clarity and budget requirements. From what I recall, many of the other stones were in the same $8 to $8.5k range as the WF stone. If you want to look elsewhere other than WF that's cool too. Just need to understand so we can best help you.

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
You need to request and post the lab report for verification, but the IS and hearts image looks promising. No crazy leakage detectable and symmetry seems spot on.

No experience with them, but I dislike the fact you have to request a lab report instead of it being readily available.

In regards to the diamond, if that's the actual diamond image there is no visible symmetry or formation of arrows. That's a bad sign.

Also, I see it has very strong fluor. You will need to vet the stone to ensure it doesn't take on a cloudy or hazy appearance in various lighting conditions as such. This is likely why the stone is discounted cheaper. Stones with fluor sell/trade for less money. The stronger the level, the more the discount.

This doesn't mean fluor is bad. It's a preference. As long as it doesn't have transparency issues, it can be a smart way to save few bucks.

That steep 35.5 CA doesn't play nice with a 40.8 PA. The lack of a good patterning, and the risk of strong fluor has me not liking it.

FYI, ran an HCA for you and it scores 2.8 and only very good's as opposed to excellent on light return, fire & scintillation.

I'd keep looking -- you can do better.

CaptureHCA.PNG

The vast majority of WF's in-house stones will be AGS certified. They are the preferred lab for ideal cut quality. No reason to shy away from them. Most of us here prefer them.

I'm happy to take another look. Refresh my brain about your size, color, clarity and budget requirements. From what I recall, many of the other stones were in the same $8 to $8.5k range as the WF stone. If you want to look elsewhere other than WF that's cool too. Just need to understand so we can best help you.

Thank you for all of this help!. Im looking to keep the stone below $8k. Size 1-1.25 (prefer to be around 1.25 but depending on the other aspects would take smaller). Color H or better, VS2.

I would like to make the stone and setting purchase at one place, but I think the allurez setting is the one, so I need to stick on that and either take a stone from them or WF and mail it over.

I spoke to a rep at WF that suggested a few stones:

Looks like it checks the right boxes, but would prefer a bit bigger:

and this one, which is bit bigger:

If you have any suggestions meeting this criteria in the 8k or below range would be awesome to see them. Im getting lost a bit comparing these stones with the different cuts, HCA ratings, and depth etc.

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of this help!. Im looking to keep the stone below $8k. Size 1-1.25 (prefer to be around 1.25 but depending on the other aspects would take smaller). Color H or better, VS2.

I would like to make the stone and setting purchase at one place, but I think the allurez setting is the one, so I need to stick on that and either take a stone from them or WF and mail it over.

If you have any suggestions meeting this criteria in the 8k or below range would be awesome to see them. Im getting lost a bit comparing these stones with the different custs, HCA ratings, and depth etc.

If you have any suggestions meeting this criteria in the 8k or below range would be awesome to see them. Im getting lost a bit comparing these stones with the different cuts, HCA ratings, and depth etc.

also in case it helps- my lady seems to prefer a larger stone. IM the one obsessing about all of these attributes. lol

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
also in case it helps- my lady seems to prefer a larger stone. IM the one obsessing about all of these attributes. lol

sorry to bother, any good suggestions?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed you said H VS2 in your first post, but was considering a J VS2 to bump the size a bit.

My thoughts were to try to find you something in I color, so to narrow the difference a bit. Below are a couple of options I really like, assuming you are okay with the color.

These proportions rock pretty hard for me. You get a bump to VS1 clarity and this actually gets you a hair above 1.25 carats. Seems like a really nice solution.

Another nice stone. This one is very similar to the above, except VS2 clarity. It's only $6 difference on the wire price. Umm, hello, I will take the VS1 all day long for that small of a difference.

My only concern being I wonder if the VS1 stone is a weak I (almost J) and maybe this one is a strong I (almost H) making up some the price variance. I'd ask WF to pull both stones along with a solid H to and show you pictures and videos of them side by side (looking at the pavilion view) to determine if the color is an issue for you.

Here's you a dark horse. Bumps you to F color, and still boosts the size. Point blank, that clarity plot makes my chest hurt. The video you can see lots of stuff in the MAGNIFIED view. Yet the web page says it's eye clean. I'd definitely want WF to pull this stone and confirm. Also, I would want them to confirm if the inclusions impedes any light performance.

Maybe a long shot, but the price is pretty sweet for a 1.21 F.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide you can live with J color, here are a few options.

Really like this stone. Great size, and the clarity plot on this SI1 is stupid clean. Comes in under budget @ $7,488 wire.

My personal favorite of the J's. I'm sweet on the VS1 clarity, and the stone rocks hard in the video. Yeah, it's a few hundred more than the SI1 but still under budget @ $7,728 wire. And size is definitely there at 1.361 carats!

Love the proportions. But I find it odd the price is higher for a J VS2 vs the J VS1 above. Similar to the I stones I mentioned earlier, I wonder if the VS1 is a little soft on the color or something else as it seems to make no sense the VS1 is cheaper. Again, if you get interested in these stones I'd have WF pull so you can do a color comparison.

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
If you decide you can live with J color, here are a few options.

Really like this stone. Great size, and the clarity plot on this SI1 is stupid clean. Comes in under budget @ $7,488 wire.

My personal favorite of the J's. I'm sweet on the VS1 clarity, and the stone rocks hard in the video. Yeah, it's a few hundred more than the SI1 but still under budget @ $7,728 wire. And size is definitely there at 1.361 carats!

Love the proportions. But I find it odd the price is higher for a J VS2 vs the J VS1 above. Similar to the I stones I mentioned earlier, I wonder if the VS1 is a little soft on the color or something else as it seems to make no sense the VS1 is cheaper. Again, if you get interested in these stones I'd have WF pull so you can do a color comparison.

Thank you so much for your assistance here. Ive ask WF to pull and compare as you suggested.

I found the setting that I want which is a bit more expensive then I planned. Therefore I asked WF what they could find with suggested criteria from the forum for the $7k or below range vs the 8. Here is what they suggested, any feedback is appreciated:

Here are a few examples from our inventory:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4212225,4132160

If your criteria is flexible, here are 2 diamonds I would recommend:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4170620,4212241

What are your thoughts on these options?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

With your last statement about budget being revised from $8k down to $7k, then really both these stones are out of your reach.

If your criteria is flexible, here are 2 diamonds I would recommend:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4170620,4212241

Assuming color isn't a deterrent I really like both these stones.

But I'm really sweet on the 1.086. The images look extra crisp. I adore that small 54.5 table, and love how the shorter 76 LGF's look a tad fatter with that small table adding a little extra contrast. This stone is full of fire and zest. Plus the clarity plot is very clean for a VS2. For me, this is a phenomenal pick and the stone to beat.

This is a pretty interesting stone. First off, this is a GIA stone, so you have to understand that the proportions shown are averaged and rounded, whereas AGS is just averaged. That said, the images of this stone are top notch, and the video is pretty awesome as well.

Despite my own preference of small tables, this stone is very nice and I would consider it. Especially if color was more important. However, for me, the 1.086 checks my own boxes a little better than this stone does.

I'm guessing it missed ACA criteria for 3 main reasons, none of which are anything to even think twice about as far as performance and beauty goes:

1. It has GIA XXX certification, instead of AGS000.

2. The 59 table falls outside their acceptable criteria of 53-58.

3. Looking at the hearts image, you will see there is a very, very thin V at the bottom of the hearts. The thinner that V the shorter the LGF's. With GIA stones, they simply report in the nearest 5% increments, so the reported value of 75 can really include values of 73-77.

Given how thin the V is I am guessing the LGF's on this stone is in the 73-74 range, which is outside the acceptable ACA criteria of 76-80.

Oddly enough, even though these LGF's are shorter (and fatter) than the LGF's of the 1.086 I stone I mentioned above, notice how they don't look as fat? It's because the table is larger.

1.086 I ACA
1582782012722.png

1.06 H PS
1582782027960.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying to stay around $7k or less, I looked for some alternative stones. These help boost the size a little bit, but several of them dip into SI1 clarity. None which I think are bad or detrimental. All will be eye clean. And all are performers.

I gave you options in H, I and J colors again so you can choose what is most important to you.

In regards to the H stone, there are some minor inconsistencies in the hearts image. Nothing that is detrimental to performance. But WF runs a pretty tight ship. If you mention this to them, they may re-examine the stone and possibly downgrade to an expert select, which would come with some sort of a slight cost savings. I've seen them do this on other stones. Just food for thought.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4022601,4180542,4097154,4159463

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming color isn't a deterrent I really like both these stones.

But I'm really sweet on the 1.086. The images look extra crisp. I adore that small 54.5 table, and love how the shorter 76 LGF's look a tad fatter with that small table adding a little extra contrast. This stone is full of fire and zest. Plus the clarity plot is very clean for a VS2. For me, this is a phenomenal pick and the stone to beat.
Yup, nice looking stone!

:love:

teddyb326

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys, reviving a very old thread. thank you all for the suggestions. With COVID we postponed and Im now about to pull the trigger.

MY goal is to find the best stone that comes in at about $7k with tax.

The one Im eyeballing:

@sledge sorry to bother but you have been great. What do you think? Better options at this price point?

thank you all again!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, @sledge has not been on in a very long time...we miss him.

That's a beautiful stone. Price seems really good too.
Is your GF good with a "J"? I would ask for a picture of the J and one of the "I"s in your budget side-by-side. There looks like
there is a 1.12H in your budget too. It is an eye-clean SI1. Maybe you could ask for a picture of all 3 side-by-side.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's personal. But - for me - I'd rather pay for something I CAN see (color) rather than something I can't (clarity, as long as it's eye clean). To me, an eye clean SI1 is perfect!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto @ecf8503 ...as long as they are both eye-clean then go with the better color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results