shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Dream to E-Ring Nightmare in the Diamond District

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea suggested by PP to keep the diamond and change the setting...move on from here to a more positive feeling. Not only don't you like the quality of the setting, but you can give the ring a totally different look with a setting change. Since you seem to like a vintage look, maybe look around on Lang Antiques and Erstwhile to get some ideas on a setting inspiration. I would work with David Klass or CVB for a vintage setting. Just be clear with them about your expectations for communication. Just keep in mind that many vintage settings are designed not to accommodate a wedding band, so you'll have to think about that and if it matters to you.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-14_16-43-25.png
    upload_2017-12-14_16-43-25.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2017-12-14_16-43-44.png
    upload_2017-12-14_16-43-44.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 10

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I was in interviews all day so I am late in responding but really want to thank everyone who took their time to write their thoughts and inputs. All welcomed well, and learned from :)

Sorry it's too much now to reply individually but I promise I read them all, learned from them all and loved the lessons and experiences (stories) shared here. Yes this is our first expensive mistake together but we are growing from this experience and I am very pleased to know my future husband and I are able to weather this storm and really work as a team and watching out for each other's best interest.

All advice here -- are taken, even if it does not necessarily sit in my favor. I did not come here for sympathy (but thank you), but also did not come to be attacked but enough about that. I will always stand by my principles in showing kindness and politeness to others but yes, understand and accept that not everyone practices the same and it's up to me to discern and take that. Similarly, not everyone speaks your language - both literally as in English, and figuratively (?) as in diamond, technical, legal speak. It is the internet so indeed very diverse. Further, I was never at the point of sale so I am going by my SOs story though I also did see the receipt and reports (GIA) and Appraiser.

I note the reminder to post the vendor name. As soon as our dispute is resolved, regardless of the outcome, I will post an update. I feel that the credit card resolution will explain the outcome and why, in writing (if I am recalling correctly) so that would, hopefully give the side of the vendor although passively.

SO tried to work with them again but they kept charging more money and SO was just not having it anymore. :( I'm not privvy to the details of his transactions with them but I 200% believe my SO and will take a bullet for his word -- he is the most honest, kind person I know, sometimes to a fault.

I tried, again, to convince SO not to spend more on a ring replacement, to just work with this ring (or vendor) one way or another, I was more concerned of the stress impact on him than the outcome of this. But he refuses point blank and he really wants a new ring -- something very important to him. It is his money (for now) and he can spend it however he wants, so now I'm helping him pick our ring (and I'm also now shopping for his wedding band -- don't know anything about wedding protocols and how to make a band more unique).

We wanted to go to actual jewelers so we have discussions and first hand education but the only one I keep seeing here is ID jewelry. The problem is -- SO refuses to go to the diamond district altogether. He said his tummy churns around that place. I guess he was traumatized so much by it. So we may have to go the online route because of this. Only caveat is SO was hoping to announce to families on christmas eve since we gotta rush wedding planning. But hey, that's not a bad problem to have!!

I am counting my blessings and good fortune and lessons learned and looking for rings!!!

:kiss2:

Good Old Gold is on Long Island

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do also agree with calling the attorney general and inquiring if this vendor has previous transgressions and see if they can offer you any solutions. I actually had to do something similar when I purchased an SUV and was flat out lied to about needing ALL the warranties because the Lender required it which was totally false and it was on recording so they had to take the car back even though they didn't want to. They helped give me insight and even was willing to help pursue the matter if they didn't take the auto back.

Hopefully your SO credit card can get this resolved in the best interest of everyone.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for good old gold, I would call them tomorrow and let them know when you want to come in and what you might want to see, they can have a bunch of things pulled aside for you. It could be busy since it's close to the holidays so I think this is the way to do it. I live near them and have visited many times to play with the diamonds.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do also agree with calling the attorney general and inquiring if this vendor has previous transgressions and see if they can offer you any solutions. I actually had to do something similar when I purchased an SUV and was flat out lied to about needing ALL the warranties because the Lender required it which was totally false and it was on recording so they had to take the car back even though they didn't want to. They helped give me insight and even was willing to help pursue the matter if they didn't take the auto back.

Hopefully your SO credit card can get this resolved in the best interest of everyone.

I know this vendor has had complaints lodged against them — their google and yelp reviews are very telling. There was also a long thread about them here in PS. SO was supposed to call the AG today but things got hectic so we will do so tomorrow :)

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another vote for good old gold, I would call them tomorrow and let them know when you want to come in and what you might want to see, they can have a bunch of things pulled aside for you. It could be busy since it's close to the holidays so I think this is the way to do it. I live near them and have visited many times to play with the diamonds.

Thank you — we checked their calendar and set up an appointment :)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I eliminated cuts/shapes I know I don't like. I have not figured out which cut specifically I like but I have eliminated Marquise, Pear, Oval, Radiant, Pillow and Heart.

Oh, when you said "picked out" cuts you know you won't like, I thought you were looking to choose a cut you know you won't like, because you thought it gave "better value for the money". I'm relieved to see that's not the case.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh, when you said "picked out" cuts you know you won't like, I thought you were looking to choose a cut you know you won't like, because you thought it gave "better value for the money". I'm relieved to see that's not the case.

No worries. It happens when English is not your mother tongue. I pick out funny words for what I am trying to say!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t wait to see what you decide on. And to hear the joy and excitement in your posts. Your engagement should be the best time ever and you deserve to enjoy it!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’ll help you for sure. Mention you’re on pricescope too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun at GOG! If you find a stone, they could set it in a temporary setting until you decide the setting you want. That way you can have the diamond to show your family! Steven Kirsch is a good choice for custom in NYC. I do not recommend the other NYC setting vendor people have mentioned because I am 100% sure his personality is opposite of the traits you mentioned in a previous post.

When you made the appointment with GOG, did you tell them to bring in particular types of stones to look at? Because they don't keep a lot of 2+ ct stones in stock, especially in D-F.

I would have your fiance focus on the credit card company claim and nothing else at this point other than finding a new diamond!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Have fun at GOG! If you find a stone, they could set it in a temporary setting until you decide the setting you want. That way you can have the diamond to show your family! Steven Kirsch is a good choice for custom in NYC. I do not recommend the other NYC setting vendor people have mentioned because I am 100% sure his personality is opposite of the traits you mentioned in a previous post.

When you made the appointment with GOG, did you tell them to bring in particular types of stones to look at? Because they don't keep a lot of 2+ ct stones in stock, especially in D-F.

I would have your fiance focus on the credit card company claim and nothing else at this point other than finding a new diamond!

Bless your heart, @diamondseeker2006 -- SO is focused on the credit card dispute, and I am focused on the diamond hunt. Did not even think we could delay setting but you gave me this great advice! If we somehow find a gem, we will put on a temporary setting in the meantime. :))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bless your heart, @diamondseeker2006 -- SO is focused on the credit card dispute, and I am focused on the diamond hunt. Did not even think we could delay setting but you gave me this great advice! If we somehow find a gem, we will put on a temporary setting in the meantime. :))

CVB ID is usually around 4-8 weeks post CAD so it would be a few months (but worth the wait!!) if you wanted a setting from Caysie.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking Steven is local and his rings are often completed less than a month. Hopefully she could give him stone measurements and not give him the diamond until almost time to set it. That way she wouldn't have to give up her ring for long or have the hassle of shipping. But that's if she still wants the style of pave ring Steven makes.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She said CBI on the other thread and I read CVB lol

M

MTHealthyLiving

I’m kind of lost here, probably because I’m still picking my jaw up off the floor from the shock of a $30k ring that was put on two credit cards.
Do people actually do that?
I paid $30k for my car! Lol!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m kind of lost here, probably because I’m still picking my jaw up off the floor from the shock of a $30k ring that was put on two credit cards.

If you've lurked here long enough and/or you stick around long enough you'll find that people on PS have a huge variation in terms of budgets. We see people with budgets of $2000 and people with budgets of $200,000! One of the things I love about PS is that there is no judgement with respect to budget, means, style, taste, etc. We are all equal opportunity diamond lovers over here and welcome all!!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

since my search and since joining PS, only a few days old, I’ve seen a lot of far pricier jewelry around here. I’ve also seen re-sale pieces on loop troupe and there’s stuff on the higher end of the spectrum. Nothing shocks me anymore these days. Maybe a gold toilet if I see one.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you read the thread, she says he used the credit cards for the reward points. They don't carry balance, so they paid it off at the end of the month. I too put everything I buy on my CC and I've never in my life carried a balance.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
since my search and since joining PS, only a few days old, I’ve seen a lot of far pricier jewelry around here. I’ve also seen re-sale pieces on loop troupe and there’s stuff on the higher end of the spectrum. Nothing shocks me anymore these days. Maybe a gold toilet if I see one.

I've seen a 24k gold toilet in a jewelry store here...http://www.scmp.com/article/375029/going-gold

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you read the thread, she says he used the credit cards for the reward points. They don't carry balance, so they paid it off at the end of the month. I too put everything I buy on my CC and I've never in my life carried a balance.

Oh and plus the rewards points, concierge, purchase protection, and insurances (travel, etc) that come with credit cards. I honestly think credit cards are a great way to hack spending power as long as you don’t carry a balance.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh and plus the rewards points, concierge, purchase protection, and insurances (travel, etc) that come with credit cards. I honestly think credit cards are a great way to hack spending power as long as you don’t carry a balance.
:dance: That's a girl after mah own...head, I guess.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hint?..who is this vendor?:bigsmile:

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds last a lot longer than cars!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Google "bless your heart" and speaking southern. Since English is not your native language, you may be surprised to find out what it means....

That said, best of luck in your search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results