shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring Dream to E-Ring Nightmare in the Diamond District

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Google "bless your heart" and speaking southern. Since English is not your native language, you may be surprised to find out what it means....

That said, best of luck in your search.

She didn't mean it like that and most people don't say it in the context you're thinking. You can be sincere or snarky with that remark.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She didn't mean it like that and most people don't say it in the context you're thinking. You can be sincere or snarky with that remark.

I live in the south and it certainly is said with sincerity often! I knew she said it in kindness. I think we can all tell when someone is being snarky. So I am all for saying it as it is intended!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I know some parts of this thread got nasty, that makes me sad a bit but I can't undo that. Someone had suggested I change my username and re-join to start fresh And post the ring that will be the product of our search.

I wanted to ask what are the benefits/downsides of this? I don't mind keeping my PS username it really isn't a big deal to me whathappened here but I may be being naive. I ask becauIe I am def looking forward to sharing my ring here once we have it. I'm very low key in real life and I would not want to divulge cost or details to family, friends and colleagues, will just show the ring that's all.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Clearly she didn't, but she is working on her idiomatic English. My comment was meant to be helpful for someone working on (already very good) language skills.

Thank you @rocks! I definitely enjoy the shared knowledge and 'fun' fact. Not necessarily fun, but it's fun to learn the fact. I hope you get my drift!!

I did go to American schools and graduated in the US too so that definitely helped my command of the language. It's expressions that can get lost in translation sometimes, or pop culture references/idioms, or formulating my feelings and emotions in writing. Business English is very easy for me, on the other hand!!

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I know some parts of this thread got nasty, that makes me sad a bit but I can't undo that. Someone had suggested I change my username and re-join to start fresh And post the ring that will be the product of our search.

I wanted to ask what are the benefits/downsides of this? I don't mind keeping my PS username it really isn't a big deal to me whathappened here but I may be being naive. I ask becauIe I am def looking forward to sharing my ring here once we have it. I'm very low key in real life and I would not want to divulge cost or details to family, friends and colleagues, will just show the ring that's all.

I think keeping your username is fine. You did not say anything "wrong". Even if you said something "wrong" that is up for interpretation, isn't it?!

Please don't second guess yourself, you are completely right in your thoughts, beliefs and words.

Those of us that would love to follow your journey would prefer you do so under this username ;)2

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I live in the south and it certainly is said with sincerity often! I knew she said it in kindness. I think we can all tell when someone is being snarky. So I am all for saying it as it is intended!

Exactly. Thank you. My family is from the south and I lived in Texas for 12+ years.

I feel like people that aren't from the south take more offense to it than southerners do. Mainly because of skits on TV and what they read online.

If someone is saying it to your face, it's more than likely sincere. If someone is talking about you then.. it's open for interpretation.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think keeping your username is fine. You did not say anything "wrong". Even if you said something "wrong" that is up for interpretation, isn't it?!

Please don't second guess yourself, you are completely right in your thoughts, beliefs and words.

Those of us that would love to follow your journey would prefer you do so under this username ;)2

Thanks @lalala such kind words. I was just wondering if it has any long term unforeseen challenges but definitely do not mind keeping my username. I like being upfront with my 'history' and I definitely want to share the gem I ultimately pick out :)

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @lalala such kind words. I was just wondering if it has any long term unforeseen challenges but definitely do not mind keeping my username. I like being upfront with my 'history' and I definitely want to share the gem I ultimately pick out :)

Unless you were to get in the "trade" (e.g. Sell diamonds or cut them) then you are perfectly fine. Don't sweat it!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Hephephippo it's really too bad some of the thread became unpleasant. I can understand wanting a ring that you will wear every single day, to be one that brings you joy and happiness and good memories. There's no point in spending that much on a ring if it does not you cannot enjoy its two primary functions: enjoying its aesthetic beauty, and enjoying it as a symbol of happy times and love. I hope you find a satisfactory resolution to your situation and congratulations on your engagement and marriage! :wavey:

PS I don't use English as my normal language either, it's maybe my third language, so I can understand the challenge of trying to understand the nuances of phrases and words in another language, especially if you speak more than two or three.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too am curious as to the name of this vendor so that I’m the event my family and I ever go to NYC we can avoid their shop. No amount of google searching has helped me find out the name of this vendor. My sleuthing skills have taken a dive!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe once things are resolved, OP can post it.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just read your thread in it's entirety. While you and your SO may have been uneducated about the diamond and ring buying process, I do feel that the vendor is unscrupulous and hope that both CC companies side with you and you get a full refund. Best wishes on your shared journey.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see no reason for you to change your name! You have done nothing wrong! We want to follow your story and hope it will have a happy ending with the credit card refund as well as the purchase of a new ring!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...I've been following this thread from the beginning, and I'm anxiously awaiting how this turns out. Best of luck to you, OP!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just read your thread in it's entirety. While you and your SO may have been uneducated about the diamond and ring buying process, I do feel that the vendor is unscrupulous and hope that both CC companies side with you and you get a full refund. Best wishes on your shared journey.

Thank you @DAF -- I have said this before but I'll say it anyway -- the merchant may have been within the bounds of what is currently legal (even that is debatable), but it does not mean we should accept it. I emphasize currently legal since, we know laws are not always up to date or quick to respond to the needs of society.

Just like predatory lending, I would not want to sit and do nothing about predatory sellers who are preying on the naivete of those who are feeling "sentimental, excited in love, dreamy" and blindly focused about getting engaged.

I would like to believe that the PS community is a self-organized means of being vigilant against unscrupulous merchants. Isn't the aim of PS to inform and educate individuals, leading to ultimately support responsible and reliable merchants.

If we can not change laws quickly, then we can at least protect ourselves and others from being preyed upon.

Side note: this reminds me of a documentary I vaguely remember, about the funeral business industry and how notoriously predatory some are on very vulnerable grieving families. They sell so much unnecessary stuff from flowers and premium coffins, silk liners, etc because the loved one "deserved to be remembered special and better" and people usually fall for that. Just makes me sad.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I see no reason for you to change your name! You have done nothing wrong! We want to follow your story and hope it will have a happy ending with the credit card refund as well as the purchase of a new ring!

Thank you, I am hoping the same and can't wait to share what ring we get and/or what I turn the old ring into.

...I've been following this thread from the beginning, and I'm anxiously awaiting how this turns out. Best of luck to you, OP!

Thank you, I'm anxious too but learned to be more accepting and focused my energy on wedding preps and happiness that I'm spending the rest of my life with my amazing SO.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Hephephippo

English is my third language as well, and I just wanted to say that I couldn't even tell you were not a native speaker until you divulged that information in the thread. FWIW, I actually was admiring your writing! ;)2

Why thank you!! The funny word choices still come out sometimes :D

@Drizzle by the way we are excited to look at super ideal diamonds. My SO was very impressed at the arrows, and the difference, after I made him look online. We plan to look at an ideal and super ideal side by side hopefully this week -- we will be calling HPD, Whiteflash and CBI within the week, hopefully tomorrow.

Drizzle

Rough_Rock
@Drizzle by the way we are excited to look at super ideal diamonds. My SO was very impressed at the arrows, and the difference, after I made him look online. We plan to look at an ideal and super ideal side by side hopefully this week -- we will be calling HPD, Whiteflash and CBI within the week, hopefully tomorrow.

Oh how exciting!! :love: I'm so happy to hear that you'll have the opportunity to make some comparisons in person. I can't emphasize enough how much having done so (multiple times) had help with my own decision making process. I know @lalala had already linked my "documentation" in your other thread so I won't re-link ;-) But long story short: I started out the ering search very hung up on the 4C's and was also laser focused on maximizing value. I wanted to be *absolutely* sure of my final decision, as in knowing that all options had been considered and I'm going with the very best (given my constraints of course). So we've narrowed down to a few stones and viewed them in person...to death!!! Lol :doh:The difference between ideal vs super ideal was not SUPER obvious to my untrained eye at first encounter but, once I started to pick it out, I couldn't ignore it. Full honestly, getting over the mental hurdle was the hardest part for me. By my original logic (focusing on the "on paper value"), I should've gone with the ideal cut G/VS1, not the super ideal H/SI1 (exact same carat size, very close in price). But in the end, I was able to let my eyes (emotions) overtake my brain (logic) and feel really good about the decision after the fact. Sadly, I haven't seen my diamond yet as it's currently being put into a custom setting :( I would love to share more candid, in-real-life-perspective type of photos once I have my ring.

Btw, HPD (High Performance Diamonds) is the online retail channel for CBI, which is the diamond brand. CBI also partners with various brick & mortar local jewelers throughout the world, which is how they make the in-person-viewing so much easier. So for the purpose of retail, you can think HPD = CBI :))

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Update: My SO reached out to the vendor, a few days after filing the dispute. This time, everything was documented as I advised him. The vendor initially refused and wanted to exchange a "better" diamond instead.

After rejecting the offers and insisting on a refund a few days in, we heard back from the vendor and the vendor surprisingly agreed to a refund. SO and I know that this highly likely because the credit card companies have already started contacting the vendor regarding our dispute already.

The gem has been returned, my SO has a return receipt, and chargeback receipt on his credit back! SOO SOO HAPPY!

Note that when SO was "negotiating" the ring return, he offered to keep the wedding band and the ring setting (price was separated in the appraisal) in an effort to just get this over and done with. We both think this is what prompted the vendor to just take the return because he'd still profit from us anyway, where as if he went through the credit card route, the credit card will likely issue a full refund.

It is a partial loss for us (we would have 'lost' $1k about) but just to get this finally over and done with, it's very well worth it. We no longer have to wait for a lengthy dispute resolution, we got a new ring (on the way to us now), our financial exposure is now fixed, and I have 'extra' jewelry to play with.

So now SO and I are imagining the things we can do to the pave wedding band, and pave setting that we got from this merchant but don't plan to use as wedding set -- we don't want to sell because we both know down the line we will be having more gems and we could use the existing material to design jewelry for new gems we will add for special occasions/milestones.

In the meantime, any suggestions???

PS. Thank you to all those who listened, the support and advice! As the vendor ultimately cooperated, I wonder if it is still appropriate to name them here? The only thing I can say is that, I would not recommend working with them. They have horrible reviews everywhere, and when we checked with a consumer bureau, there were complaints lodged against them (we could not see details nor resolutions). Thoughts?

*Edited a few things for clarity

srke

Shiny_Rock
I am very happy that it all worked out well for you!

Having followed this thread from the beginning it is very heartening to know that you will now be able to put this whole experience with this vendor behind you , and will also have an ering that you love

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results