shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own a gun? What kind? What do you use it for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 9:05:59 AM
Author: stepcutnut
My hubby too saw I was looking at this thread yesterday and had to make a double take-hahaha!!! Diamonds and guns-nice.

He said I''m suppose to tell you I began to shoot, because my hubby thinks it''s sexy! Just like a man :)

Actually, I''ve been around guns all my life. I used to shoot with my dad and grandpa. Guns were not a mystery to us in our home when I was little-if we wanted to take them out and look at them, we just had to ask. I think that was a good thing-he taught us how to handle them safely and always presume they are loaded and ready to fire.

My hubby and I target shoot together, it is nice stress relief and quit empowering as a woman! Also, have them for personal protection. I carry full time.

Strawberries-do you like to shoot revolvers??? If so, you should consider one as a carry gun-airwieghts, preferably. I personally don''t enjoy revolvers much myself and am actually considering switching out my 9mm with a Para .45 WartHog(stainless with rosewood handles-I''m still a girl, it can still be pretty-right!?!?!). My fav handguns to target shoot with are 1911 style .45, so something I would be really comfortable with. My pretty comment made me think, have you seen the guns that they are marketing toward women now??? They have some that are pink and purple-AHHHH!

I know as a woman, that .22 tend to be the caliber of choice because of the ease of shooting, but in all reality they don''t have much take down power and I would personally never choose one for personal protection-only target shooting.
Exactly the point. As long as the parents are responsible and educate the kids, I think it''s a good thing.

I haven''t gotten to shoot revolvers much. I actually LOVED one of the Smith and Wesson Airweights. They had a .357 I was really really considering. Wouldn''t be much fun at the range, even with a 38 in it, but it''d be great for carrying. I really want a revolver still though. I thought it''d be something I''d like better as a carry weapon, but also just to switch up from the semi-automatic in target practice. I''ve heard a lot of people that really prefer the 1911 you mentioned. That''s something I don''t know much about yet, so I need to some research.

Smith and Wesson is making a M&P model with a girl that does competition shooting (can''t remember her name) that''s got ink accents and some of the proceeds go to breast cancer. I looked at the black version of it, but it was too big for my hand to be really comfortable. I''ve got a small hand but long fingers, so I need a small grip.

As for the 22''s - it was really pleasant to shoot one at a target. I''ve thought about getting the conversion kit for my Sig to switch the barrel to a 22 - then I could shoot it all day for practically nothing!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 8:34:27 AM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Date: 3/3/2009 9:06:23 PM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

FI''s favorite trick is to load a shotgun with nickels. They''ll cut someone in half, but they won''t go through a wall. Something to consider if you''ve got little ones in surrounding rooms...

Hudson - I''ve never heard of this. I''m sure FI has - I''ll have to ask him. Good idea, since I''m in a townhome and have neighbors...

Haha, yuck to the mental image of a nickel cutting someone in half...
14.gif
Somehow it''s weirder to me thank thinking about ammo...
I don''t know if it literally cuts them in half or just "cuts" them down....

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 9:15:28 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Date: 3/4/2009 9:05:59 AM

Author: stepcutnut

My hubby too saw I was looking at this thread yesterday and had to make a double take-hahaha!!! Diamonds and guns-nice.

He said I''m suppose to tell you I began to shoot, because my hubby thinks it''s sexy! Just like a man :)

Actually, I''ve been around guns all my life. I used to shoot with my dad and grandpa. Guns were not a mystery to us in our home when I was little-if we wanted to take them out and look at them, we just had to ask. I think that was a good thing-he taught us how to handle them safely and always presume they are loaded and ready to fire.

My hubby and I target shoot together, it is nice stress relief and quit empowering as a woman! Also, have them for personal protection. I carry full time.

Strawberries-do you like to shoot revolvers??? If so, you should consider one as a carry gun-airwieghts, preferably. I personally don''t enjoy revolvers much myself and am actually considering switching out my 9mm with a Para .45 WartHog(stainless with rosewood handles-I''m still a girl, it can still be pretty-right!?!?!). My fav handguns to target shoot with are 1911 style .45, so something I would be really comfortable with.

I know as a woman, that .22 tend to be the caliber of choice because of the ease of shooting, but in all reality they don''t have much take down power and I would personally never choose one for personal protection-only target shooting.
Well, we have to protect all those diamonds somehow, right???
9.gif

DH and I don''t currently own a gun, but we''re looking for one. We''d like to get some kind of pistol that both of us can comfortably shoot. We would use it for target practice and home defense. Any suggestions? (Keep in mind . . . my right wrist is VERY arthritic so I would need something that doesn''t kick a whole lot.)
21.gif

.9mms are nice. They''re hefty but don''t have a huge amount of kick. A woman could handle one easily (I''m OK with them and I''m a weakling). Any gun is going to have some kick back...

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 9:15:28 AM

Well, we have to protect all those diamonds somehow, right???
9.gif

DH and I don't currently own a gun, but we're looking for one. We'd like to get some kind of pistol that both of us can comfortably shoot. We would use it for target practice and home defense. Any suggestions? (Keep in mind . . . my right wrist is VERY arthritic so I would need something that doesn't kick a whole lot.)
21.gif
Grrrr my very long response to you just got eaten.
39.gif
29.gif

Anyway, the point I was making was that my FI and I have very different needs when it comes to shooting and holding a weapon. His is a full size semi automatic .40 caliber. He's got huge hands. It's an average amount of kick, and he's all muscle. But the size of the gun is just way too big for my hand. I have small hands and long fingers, so my Sig 9mm is a subcompact - a smaller grip, so it fits me just right. I can reach the mag release easily with my thumb, the trigger fits just right... everything is perfect.

If your wrist is as bad as you make it sound, I think even a .22 might hurt you. Even they kick a little. Not too much though. But you may want to try a shotgun or rifle for yourself. Then your torso could take the kick, assuming your shoulder doesn't have arthritis, instead of your wrist. Then just let your husband get a pistol that fits his hand, and he likes.

Just depends on the difference in yall's hand sizes, and if your wrist can take shooting a pistol at all. Pistols do put pressure on your wrist with every fire.

ETA: Just like Hudson said above - every gun will have some kick. You need to see if your wrist can even take any of it. Maybe try going to a range and renting one first - maybe a 9mm or a .22.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Irishgrrrl - is it just one wrist that gives you problems? You could learn to shoot with your other hand. Or brace really well with your good hand. I shot pretty well with my left hand in our conceal carry course, and I''ve never even done it before. I''m a big goof when I do anything lefty usually.

But it''s still hard to imagine shooting a pistol at all and not feeling it in the wrist.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Irish-strawberries brought up a good point, I love to shoot rifles also and fairly easy on the wrist.

I would second the going to a range that rents guns, you then can try many different calibers and styles of handgun and hopefully find one that works really well for both you and hubby. Try wearing a wristguard or You can modify your hand hold also, trying to grip your right wrist with your left hand to brace more, if you are using a gun with small enough grips and small enough kick for you to handle.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Irishgrrrl - They do make tiny little guns that probably would be ok for your wrist. But I''m pretty sure they''d be no good to you for self defense. For self defense, you want something that stops the attacker, not marginally slows him down as he still comes for you, requiring you to use more time to shoot more. So your semi-pickle is how to find a gun you can shoot with your wrist but is also beneficial to you.

There are loads of websites out there about what''s best for who, and everyone has their own opinion. Just start googling, and you''ll find more than you probably want to know. You just need to watch for guidance as far as the kick back different guns have, instead of just looking at their power. I found this - it''s short and sweet about the different calibers, and what they can be used for, and somewhat about their kickback too. http://craigsmithcolumns.homestead.com/choosingahandgun.html Go down to where he breaks down each caliber. Hehe I laughed at the line about using a .22 for home self defense and shooting yourself in the foot.
37.gif

I''ve never shot a Derringer, as folks talked about earlier in this thread. They''re tiny, so I don''t know if the kickback would be less or not. If it is, maybe that''s a direction you could try?

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Well Well... I guess I should have figured that with all the bling around here, we''d be a very armed forum!
Add me to the armed list! I love being armed! I have lil 32 baretta that I love. Easy to handle and it has a laser scope. My hope is that any intruder would see that lil red dot on them and be so scared that I never actually have to shoot them. But if I do we have a 40 Kimber and a shotgun, they better heed my warning!
9.gif

I also took the concealed weapons class. I just haven''t sent it off yet. I''m nervous about being on the books as a permit holder in case they change the laws.
27.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i abhor the air/light weight smith revolvers though i am mostly a smith revolver woman. i wouldn''t own one: for me the kick in .38/.357 was just too much as it hurt my entire hand. however, i do have a stainless smith model 60 snubbie .38/.357 that i adore....... i would never suggest anyone, man or woman, buy a air/light weight without first having shot one. range rentals are a great way to check out guns.

revolvers are fun, easy to clean, and just not a lot of work. i highly recommend them as a first purchase.

while .22 is an easy load to shoot and will bounce around inside someone''s gut, it isn''t a stopping power load. minimum is .380 and there are a lot of small framed semi-autos out there in that calibre.

realize that the smaller the frame and the lighter the frame, the more the recoil will be felt. i prefer metal frames both for my revolvers and for my pistol. a j-frame and/or k-frame smith revolver frame fits my hand. i cannot hold an l-frame or larger.

i also found that shooting a semi-auto pistol can reveal several things. for instance, the kahr i shot spit the casings out at my head and two hit my forehead leaving a small cut. however, the colt did not, nor did the kimber.

as in all things, its not a one size fits all solution. also, its not enough just to own a gun: its necessary to learn how to use it properly and to use it often.

i encourage any and all women to be proactive in defense of themselves. here is a good website:http://www.corneredcat.com/
written by a woman for women.

mz

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 10:32:42 AM
Author: CrookedRock
Well Well... I guess I should have figured that with all the bling around here, we''d be a very armed forum!
Add me to the armed list! I love being armed! I have lil 32 baretta that I love. Easy to handle and it has a laser scope. My hope is that any intruder would see that lil red dot on them and be so scared that I never actually have to shoot them. But if I do we have a 40 Kimber and a shotgun, they better heed my warning!
9.gif

I also took the concealed weapons class. I just haven''t sent it off yet. I''m nervous about being on the books as a permit holder in case they change the laws.
27.gif
Yeah CR I''ve often wondered what''s gonna happen with the laws too. Now that I''m on the books, if they pass all that, are they gonna come show up at my front door and demand to take all my stuff? Great, and leave me with nothing while all the criminals who AREN''T on the books are now the only ones armed... and dangerous. Because our police force is, of course, ALWAYS going to be right next door if something ever happens to me and I need them immediately... yeah right.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 10:40:23 AM

Date: 3/4/2009 10:32:42 AM
9.gif

27.gif
Yeah CR I''ve often wondered what''s gonna happen with the laws too. Now that I''m on the books, if they pass all that, are they gonna come show up at my front door and demand to take all my stuff? Great, and leave me with nothing while all the criminals who AREN''T on the books are now the only ones armed... and dangerous. Because our police force is, of course, ALWAYS going to be right next door if something ever happens to me and I need them immediately... yeah right.
Those are my thoughts exactly! Scares the heck out of me! I''m not sure where you are but Florida has a castle law that allows you to have a gun in your car, house, etc... I prob won''t do anything about the license right now. That being said I always remember what our instructor told us... If you fire your gun at someone these days just have a good attorney to call! Wouldn''t shock me at all to get sued by an intruder I shoot, espicially these days.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 10:34:16 AM
Author: movie zombie
for instance, the kahr i shot spit the casings out at my head and two hit my forehead leaving a small cut. however, the colt did not, nor did the kimber.

One of our Glocks does that to me! Drives me nuts!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
i abhor the air/light weight smith revolvers though i am mostly a smith revolver woman. i wouldn''t own one: for me the kick in .38/.357 was just too much as it hurt my entire hand. however, i do have a stainless smith model 60 snubbie .38/.357 that i adore....... i would never suggest anyone, man or woman, buy a air/light weight without first having shot one. range rentals are a great way to check out guns.

revolvers are fun, easy to clean, and just not a lot of work. i highly recommend them as a first purchase.

while .22 is an easy load to shoot and will bounce around inside someone''s gut, it isn''t a stopping power load. minimum is .380 and there are a lot of small framed semi-autos out there in that calibre.

realize that the smaller the frame and the lighter the frame, the more the recoil will be felt. i prefer metal frames both for my revolvers and for my pistol. a j-frame and/or k-frame smith revolver frame fits my hand. i cannot hold an l-frame or larger.

i also found that shooting a semi-auto pistol can reveal several things. for instance, the kahr i shot spit the casings out at my head and two hit my forehead leaving a small cut. however, the colt did not, nor did the kimber.

as in all things, its not a one size fits all solution. also, its not enough just to own a gun: its necessary to learn how to use it properly and to use it often.

i encourage any and all women to be proactive in defense of themselves. here is a good website:http://www.corneredcat.com/

mz
All VERY good info, MZ!! Thanks!
36.gif

That''s the main reason I didn''t get one of the airweights - they kickback would have been terrible b/c it was so small. I still may consider one for a carry weapon though, just for the size. And just learn how to use it at the range, but not play with it. The revolver I had my eye on and was choosing between that and my Sig 9mm was a Ruger .357 magnum with a laser. It was GORGEOUS.
9.gif
All stainless steel, a rubber grip... fit me perfectly.
5.gif

You also made a really good point that I forgot earlier - and this may help Irishgrrrl too. My Sig is an all-metal frame. The Ruger revolver I want is the same. It helps SO much in distributing the weight, which therefore helps in absorbing the kickback. I''d definitely recommend this as opposed to a polymer frame. It''s also better for durability in the long run.

Thank you also for the info about the Kahr - that''s another one on my dream list, but I certainly don''t want to get spit back on in the face. Do you remember what exactly you shot, or the model?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
i abhor the air/light weight smith revolvers though i am mostly a smith revolver woman. i wouldn't own one: for me the kick in .38/.357 was just too much as it hurt my entire hand. however, i do have a stainless smith model 60 snubbie .38/.357 that i adore....... i would never suggest anyone, man or woman, buy a air/light weight without first having shot one. range rentals are a great way to check out guns.

while .22 is an easy load to shoot and will bounce around inside someone's gut, it isn't a stopping power load. minimum is .380 and there are a lot of small framed semi-autos out there in that calibre.

mz

MZ-that is a great website for women-lots of good info.

I too prefer stainless revolvers over the airweights-but feel my carry guns doesn't need to be my favorite gun to shoot-only one that I am really comfortable shooting and is easy for me to carry. But, that being said I haven't chose to carry a revolver because I just really don't enjoy shooting them. I feel your carry gun should be the largest caliber gun you are really comfortable shooting/carrying.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 10:46:43 AM

Those are my thoughts exactly! Scares the heck out of me! I''m not sure where you are but Florida has a castle law that allows you to have a gun in your car, house, etc... I prob won''t do anything about the license right now. That being said I always remember what our instructor told us... If you fire your gun at someone these days just have a good attorney to call! Wouldn''t shock me at all to get sued by an intruder I shoot, espicially these days.
CR - I''m in North Carolina. You can carry exposed, but even in the car, it has to be sitting out on the dash or passenger seat. That''s one reason we took the conceal course. It takes 90 days here in my county to process the app though, which is why I went ahead and sent it in.

Haha so true about having a good attorney to call. Like was mentioned above though, I''d imagine if there was any question involved, I''d want to make sure I was the only one available to answer questions about what happened.

Here, the law is that you can shoot an intruder while he is in the process of trespassing. But, once he is on your property, you cannot even point your gun at him - that''s illegal. If he casually walks up and says "I''m not here to hurt you, I just want your TV and stereo," you can fight all you want, but you can''t use ''deadly force'' (aka a firearm) to stop him. Our instructor basically said to let him go, and call up your home insurance agent and file a claim.
20.gif
But the moment they threaten bodily harm to you is when you can use your firearm in self defense (can''t remember at what point them just "communicating" the threat, not actually trying, becomes ok to fire). But I do agree with you - everything is so darn liberal that you probably could get sued by someone if there was any question about you being in the wrong. Either way though, if I EVER feel my family or myself is in danger (which in my book, is ANYONE breaking into my home, period) I''m defending us. I''ll ask questions later. Chances are, especially if I or my kids were home alone, intruders aren''t there for just the TV anyway.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all this great info, everyone!
36.gif

I had surgery on my right wrist about ten years ago to repair cartilage that got torn when I fell (flew, actually) off of a horse and into a wall. Ever since then, I have had problems with that wrist, and the doctor says that it will probably never be perfect. And, yes, OF COURSE I''m right-handed and my left hand is practially worthless!
20.gif

BUT, the pain isn''t so bad that it would prevent me from shooting at all. I think I would be fine as long as I don''t get some huge hand-cannon that kicks like a mule! LOL!
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We use to live out on 5 acres (in our early 20s) and I had a .22 for protection (a wimpy gun, I know). I didn't have a permit! I use to take it outside and do target practice, but then one of the neighbors complained about the noise! lol I don't have it anymore. Come to think of it, it use to jam up on me!

I'd love to go to a target range. . .do I need any kind of permit for that?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:17:24 PM
Thanks for all this great info, everyone!
36.gif

I had surgery on my right wrist about ten years ago to repair cartilage that got torn when I fell (flew, actually) off of a horse and into a wall. Ever since then, I have had problems with that wrist, and the doctor says that it will probably never be perfect. And, yes, OF COURSE I''m right-handed and my left hand is practially worthless!
20.gif

BUT, the pain isn''t so bad that it would prevent me from shooting at all. I think I would be fine as long as I don''t get some huge hand-cannon that kicks like a mule! LOL!
9.gif

So, you''re not going to play Dirty Harry? Also the image of the little old lady from Police Academy comes to mind.
9.gif

I think everyone has given good advice. Something in the 9mm range for a semiauto or .38 in a revolver would have fairly low recoil, but still be enough for self-defense. (I''m not a fan of .22''s for self-defense, though they are great for light recoil target practice if you can find one similar to your carry gun) Avoid a super light frame, as that makes felt recoil worse.

You might consider a revolver in .32 H&R Mag. You can shoot low recoil or .32 Special loads for practice to make it easy on your wrist and use the Magnum loads when carrying.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:26:41 PM
Author: OMG

style="WIDTH: 89.8%; HEIGHT: 72px">Date: 3/3/2009 4:13:27 PM
Author:luvthemstrawberries

Anyway, as I stated above, we only use them for target practice right now. But I do plan to carry one once I get my permit. Not everywhere, but anywhere I feel the need, now that I''m educated on all the laws and am starting to get some practice with my own gun.

Excuse my ignorance......but where do you live that you can carry a gun if you want to? I live in Canada (Toronto) and the only people who carry guns around here are cops and people who drive armored trucks.
I live close to Toronto as well. I think the US and Canada are VERY different when it comes to gun control laws. (scary!!)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
we got some mean ladies here.
9.gif

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 10:56:52 AM

Date: 3/4/2009 10:46:43 AM

CR - I''m in North Carolina. You can carry exposed, but even in the car, it has to be sitting out on the dash or passenger seat. That''s one reason we took the conceal course. It takes 90 days here in my county to process the app though, which is why I went ahead and sent it in.

Haha so true about having a good attorney to call. Like was mentioned above though, I''d imagine if there was any question involved, I''d want to make sure I was the only one available to answer questions about what happened.

Here, the law is that you can shoot an intruder while he is in the process of trespassing. But, once he is on your property, you cannot even point your gun at him - that''s illegal. If he casually walks up and says ''I''m not here to hurt you, I just want your TV and stereo,'' you can fight all you want, but you can''t use ''deadly force'' (aka a firearm) to stop him. Our instructor basically said to let him go, and call up your home insurance agent and file a claim.
20.gif
But the moment they threaten bodily harm to you is when you can use your firearm in self defense (can''t remember at what point them just ''communicating'' the threat, not actually trying, becomes ok to fire). But I do agree with you - everything is so darn liberal that you probably could get sued by someone if there was any question about you being in the wrong. Either way though, if I EVER feel my family or myself is in danger (which in my book, is ANYONE breaking into my home, period) I''m defending us. I''ll ask questions later. Chances are, especially if I or my kids were home alone, intruders aren''t there for just the TV anyway.
Just wanted to add, I was told by a local cop, to never shoot the intruder in the back...because it will appear that they were trying to get away and you (the victim) went ahead and shot them anyway (like THEY became the victim at that point).
Sheesh...how sad that you have to try to think about all this stuff when you are simply trying to defend yourself/home/family...

Kat

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 10:11:29 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu

Date: 3/3/2009 9:28:19 PM
I should also note that FI is a former range officer for the Warwick RI police force. Warwick has the only tire house in the state (a place where the force can go to practice drills with assault weapons, etc) and has trained with numerous special groups. So he's not just joe shmoe spouting cr*p. That being said, please do your own due diligence and research before adopting any practices you hear about on PS.

I am a certified pistol instructor [BTW, my pistol of choice is my HK P7M13 although I like my 1911 too along with the other 'toys'] and a Range Officer for the NH Tactical Arts Group. I agree with HH and urge all of you to get properly trained and make sure you practice if you plan to carry or otherwise use firearms.
DiamanteBlu-
You are even more impressive to me than before. And I thought you just had a great collection of JEWELS!!!!
31.gif

Kat

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 10:28:50 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Date: 3/3/2009 10:22:56 PM
a pea shooter??

I''ve always wanted a derringer. They''re so petite and romantic.....they don''t have the best stopping power however.
Actually if you''re going to carry a gun for personal defense out on the street, a tiny .22 is ideal as a purse gun. You aren''t going to shoot someone at a distance anyway (the presumption is you should be running away
2.gif
).

In most cases you wouldn''t be shooting anyone until they had laid hands on you. A .22 bounces around nicely in a torso and does quite a bit of damage.
I would only use a .22 for a purse gun if I had bullets that were hollow points, or Black Talons. Now those will do more significant damage...I was once told that, to do any damage with a little .22 pistol with regular ammo, you would basically have to put it up the bad guy/girl''s nose!

I had a .380, which was small but I''m sure it could have stopped someone. That would fit into a purse nicely.

Kat

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:37:05 PM
Author: tlh
I have a hot glue gun I use for arts and crafts.
9.gif

You are toooo funny, you made me laugh.
9.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:37:11 PM
Author: MC
We use to live out on 5 acres (in our early 20s) and I had a .22 for protection (a wimpy gun, I know). I didn''t have a permit! I use to take it outside and do target practice, but then one of the neighbors complained about the noise! lol I don''t have it anymore. Come to think of it, it use to jam up on me!

I''d love to go to a target range. . .do I need any kind of permit for that?
Hey MC - as far as I know, you don''t need a permit anywhere to shoot a weapon on your own property, unless you live somewhere where it''s illegal to own a gun at all. Where I live, the neighbors could complain if they wanted to, but we''re not doing anything illegal. Unless you''re in the city and they''ve outlawed it or something.

You also, as far as I know, should never need a permit to shoot at a range. Just go in - they''ll ID you and all, but that''s it as far as I know.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 9:45:25 AM
Author: PaulaW
Pear, your advice about a shotgun for home defense is spot on! I received the same advice from a cop and he added that if you mount a small flashlight on the barrel, it can serve as a sight at night for you and wherever that light shines = trouble. We did that (and added a heat shield) and it looks pretty cool! Imagine an intruder in your house hearing the shuck-shuck of the pump action then being blinded by a flashlight... haha, I doubt you''d even need to fire it.
I actually put night sights on my Beretta as well, their luminescent so they glow. Pretty neat.
My dad is an avid collector of guns and knives and he''s got an AR15 as well. He also just picked up a Winchester 30/30 that''s about 75 years old. I''m dying to visit him in FL and take them to the range.
Say cheese:
You Go, Girl!!!!!!!!!!!

Kat

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:38:13 PM
Author: jet2ks

So, you''re not going to play Dirty Harry? Also the image of the little old lady from Police Academy comes to mind.
9.gif

I think everyone has given good advice. Something in the 9mm range for a semiauto or .38 in a revolver would have fairly low recoil, but still be enough for self-defense. (I''m not a fan of .22''s for self-defense, though they are great for light recoil target practice if you can find one similar to your carry gun) Avoid a super light frame, as that makes felt recoil worse.

You might consider a revolver in .32 H&R Mag. You can shoot low recoil or .32 Special loads for practice to make it easy on your wrist and use the Magnum loads when carrying.
Hahahahaha.
3.gif

Jet2ks had good points - a heavier frame, usually the all metal ones, will absorb more recoil so you feel the kickback less. Also, I''d completely forgotten this, but they make really good ammo that''s meant to have a lower recoil. I think our instructor had .38 ammo - but he pulled it out, it was in this nice clear plastic case and all, but it''s clearly advertised on it to have a lower recoil than the usual of that caliber.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 2:09:41 PM
Author: beau13

I live close to Toronto as well. I think the US and Canada are VERY different when it comes to gun control laws. (scary!!)
Hey beau13! We may be more like yall sooner than we think. The government with the new administration and all is really rumored to supposedly be trying to pass a bunch of laws - everything from making each bullet of ammo trackable, to completely taking away the right to own guns. All registered gun owners would be on a nationwide list, and if all the extreme laws pass, everyone on that list would have someone show up at their house and take all their firearms. It''s all just talk right now, but there''s no telling what will happen.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 2:44:23 PM

Date: 3/4/2009 2:09:41 PM
Author: beau13

Hey beau13! We may be more like yall sooner than we think. The government with the new administration and all is really rumored to supposedly be trying to pass a bunch of laws - everything from making each bullet of ammo trackable, to completely taking away the right to own guns. All registered gun owners would be on a nationwide list, and if all the extreme laws pass, everyone on that list would have someone show up at their house and take all their firearms. It''s all just talk right now, but there''s no telling what will happen.
29.gif

Kat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results