shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own a gun? What kind? What do you use it for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 6:06:37 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Date: 3/3/2009 4:31:01 PM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

Certain occupations (other than police) can carry concealed weapons. Fi used to deliver court documents to people and he had a carry permit. He also had a permit when he worked in construction (he often had expensive tools etc with him in bad areas). Anyone can apply for a carry permit, but whether you''re granted it is another story. Different states have different laws. We have our handgun for home safety and target practice. FI and I don''t carry it around for fun or on a daily basis. It stays in the safe next to the bed and only comes out if we''re going to the range or if we have an intruder. FI and I both have licenses to handle and purchase guns.

Berries-why do you feel the need to carry a concealed weapon on a daily basis (or when you feel the need)?

I don''t necessarily feel the need to carry a gun on a daily basis. We''ve applied for our conceal carry permits, for one thing so that we don''t have to apply for any more pistol permits in the future. But I got the permit so I could be prepared and have a weapon when I found myself in a situation where I felt I need some protection.

I work downtown and would probably carry it on my several-block walk to work. There are situations at work where I have to get the staff car for a trip, and park it by myself at night in an excluded parking lot. However, since I work for a government agency, I''m not allowed to have a weapon on govt property, including the staff cars or parking lot.

I mainly plan to probably keep it in my vehicle and have it when I find myself in a situation where I feel protection would be beneficial. I''m not paranoid, but you hear so many things... one about a girl who got kidnapped from a Target parking lot in broad daylight... I know a woman personally who was kidnapped from a WalMart parking lot in broad daylight. I''m very wary while walking back and forth to work about turning my e-ring over, or making sure my hand is in my pocket. I just like to be really safe, and I''d rather be protected and not need it than find myself in a situation where I need extra protection and don''t have it. Self defense class is on my list of things to do soon. I think about things like the fact that people could SO easily know my schedule just by watching me every day.

I also took the class to learn the gun laws - it was really beneficial. I''m now pretty educated on self defense in the home and what will be ruled self defense or not. It''s surprising what you''re not ''allowed'' to do to an intruder in your own home. (''allowed'' being the key word... FI and I already have a pact that we will do whatever is necessary to protect ourselves and our family when our lives/safety are threatened.)

I hope you don''t think I was being judgmental. I really didn''t mean to sound like that. FI wants me to get a carry permit and I keep arguing against it. I was curious to hear another woman''s perspective on the subject...

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
You know, I got to thinking after reading lyra, jsm, and packrat''s posts...

You guys mentioned slight intimidation or the fear you have of guns. I really think that anyone who has thought about it or considered it at all would enjoy shooting (if they haven''t tried already). If you have someone experienced there with you to guide you and keep you safe in the beginning stages, you''ll be perfectly fine. Shooting can be a good stress reliever, but it''s also very, very empowering. Even I haven''t shot nearly as much as I''d like to in order to feel completely comfortable with a gun that is loaded and ready to fire, especially to carry it on my body like that. But I really think that if people give shooting a try, it can provide a lot of confidence. It''s amazing how much confidence it can give you in yourself and in your own abilities to protect yourself. Once you do that, it''s interesting how much faith you have in yourself and being able to shoot a firearm. They''re not as scary as most people think. They''re just dangerous in the wrong hands. Those hands have to be educated, and be alert at all times. And to get to that point, having someone alongside who is already there is the stepping stone.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:34:37 PM
Date: 3/3/2009 7:21:45 PM

Author: AllieGator

My family doesn't own guns for leisure/occupation, but we do have a Luger Pistol that my grandpa brought back from WW2. It's an interesting conversation piece, that's for sure!

That's really cool! My grandpa was in WW2 also, but as far as I know, he doesn't have any weapons from it. Actually, come to think of it, I've never asked him. I'll have to next time I see him!

It is cool! In general, I'm not a huge fan of guns (nothing wrong with responsible people, like the ones here, owning them, but I just don't like when crazy people get them), but I love this one.

My grandfather, at one point during the war, was stationed at a POW Camp for german soldiers, and he was able to get one that was confiscated from a soldier. He carried it as a good luck charm for the rest of the war, and it must have worked because he came through the war relatively unharmed.

Now we have it in a "shadow box" type frame, and it hangs in the room he stayed in while he was still with is. It's hung up next to his purple heart. It means a lot to us, because our grandfather was very proud of his service to our country, and it's a great memento to remind us of him.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 6:54:10 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 3/3/2009 6:46:32 PM

Author: jsm

My fiance has a ton of them! Mostly shotguns, but a few semi-automatics and handguns as well. I hate it because guns make me nervous!

He grew up poor on a farm, and many times the kills he and his father/grandfather brought in was all there was to eat. He learned gun safety and shooting at like 4 years old. Sounds crazy to me, but I guess that''s what you did when you live in the middle of nowhere. He still enjoys the occasional hunting trip (we utilize and eat whatever he gets), but now he mostly goes to the shooting range with farm buddies and aims at clay.

He keeps insisting that I learn to shoot, I keep insisting that it will never happen!
9.gif
We''ll see who wins!

(...it''ll be me)

Try it once you may like it.

Wifey2b is an excellent shot.

I''m going to teach her to reload then I can say.. I will cook dinner babe you go load some ammo for Saturday hehehehehehe

FI just bought a progressive press. He wants to start loading his own ammo. I have no interest in it, but if it gets him out of my hair, I say go for it!

DBlu-
41.gif
lol

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:26:25 PM
Author: packrat
couldn''t tell you the names but there''s a lot shown from some place in Arizona maybe, Thunder Ranch or something..I wish we had a place like that here-it would be awesome to spend a few days learning about guns and what to do in situations and overcome some of the intimidation I have!

Gunsite is in Arizona. Well worth going to for training - basic to advanced - if you can. Thunder Ranch was in Texas. It is now in Oregon.

I would also highly recommend John and Vicki Farnam at DTI. They travel around the country conducting courses - beginner to advanced - at local ranges. Check their schedule out to see when they are heading out in your direction.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:40:56 PM

I hope you don''t think I was being judgmental. I really didn''t mean to sound like that. FI wants me to get a carry permit and I keep arguing against it. I was curious to hear another woman''s perspective on the subject...
Hey, I didn''t think you were being judgemental at all!
1.gif
It didn''t sound like that. I had never really thought about a valid reason why. But I figured out a lot of that reason by answering your question, so it was helpful!

I honestly probably won''t use it as much as I imagine right now. I have a very basic home and around town routine. My only set schedule is to work and back, and I can''t use the permit/firearm then, so I need to take some self defense class or something. For the time being, I just remain very aware on my walks to and from work, and at the staff parking lot. If anything was EVER fishy to me, I''d just hightail it I guess.

There may be random times in the future I''ll be somewhere that I''ll carry it on me. But my guess is I''ll just start keeping one in my vehicle. They have trunk locks for firearms you''d like to keep there, and velcro harnesses to keep it still up under the driver''s seat. That''ll be my protection when I''m in parking lots/stores/malls/etc. You have to have a conceal carry permit to keep it in the car, so that''s a benefit to getting it.

It was also a good reason to get the permit because any gun purchases in the future will be under that. No more going to the courthouse for pistol permits and background checks.

I also just liked the gun laws portion of the class, and the safety session where we learned a lot about gun safety at home. That''s when he talked about the various calibers that can actually shoot right through an intruder, through your home walls, and into your kid''s bedroom or even across a yard and into a neighbor''s home. It''s actually kind of freaky to know what can actually do that - many people''s home defense weapons will do just that, and they don''t even know it.

I''d also like to take some more courses in the future - more safety courses, target shooting, etc. We''ll see.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:45:03 PM
Author: AllieGator

It is cool! In general, I''m not a huge fan of guns (nothing wrong with responsible people, like the ones here, owning them, but I just don''t like when crazy people get them), but I love this one.

My grandfather, at one point during the war, was stationed at a POW Camp for german soldiers, and he was able to get one that was confiscated from a soldier. He carried it as a good luck charm for the rest of the war, and it must have worked because he came through the war relatively unharmed.

Now we have it in a ''shadow box'' type frame, and it hangs in the room he stayed in while he was still with is. It''s hung up next to his purple heart. It means a lot to us, because our grandfather was very proud of his service to our country, and it''s a great memento to remind us of him.
That''s awesome. My grandpa''s really proud too. He used to put us to sleep when we stayed at his house with war stories (relatively non-violent ones, of course). He''s a great man, as I''m sure yours was too.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 6:25:33 PM

Date: 3/3/2009 4:47:49 PM
Author: got2goldens
I don''t usually post in these parts, but this one got my interest.

I have a .40 Taurus and DH has a .45 Ruger. DH also does reloading as a hobby.
I would like to get a .45 Kimber Ultra-Carry, someday...

We use ours to go target shooting at the range, but they were also purchased for home security purposes.

And Strawberries, we have Concealed Carry in MO too...

Kat
Yeah Missouri is one of the states that has reciprocity with North Carolina - we can conceal carry in each other''s state with our own state''s permit.

FI and his friend in the army are SOOOO wanting to get into reloading. They''ve done so much research. It''s just a lot of money to get started.
Strawberries,
Actually, I got DH a whole setup for Christmas, for about $300...for 3 different calibers. We ordered it through an online catalog, so I think that helped the price, as opposed to buying the setup at a B&M (totally different B&M than usually referred to on here, I know!!!)

Kat

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:45:32 PM

FI just bought a progressive press. He wants to start loading his own ammo. I have no interest in it, but if it gets him out of my hair, I say go for it!

DBlu-
41.gif
lol
That''s what FI wants - one that will do it all! He and his buddy SO want to get into it.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:54:07 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu

Gunsite is in Arizona. Well worth going to for training - basic to advanced - if you can. Thunder Ranch was in Texas. It is now in Oregon.

I would also highly recommend John and Vicki Farnam at DTI. They travel around the country conducting courses - beginner to advanced - at local ranges. Check their schedule out to see when they are heading out in your direction.
Thanks for the info DBlu! I''ll keep an eye out.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:44:29 PM
You know, I got to thinking after reading lyra, jsm, and packrat''s posts...

You guys mentioned slight intimidation or the fear you have of guns. I really think that anyone who has thought about it or considered it at all would enjoy shooting (if they haven''t tried already). If you have someone experienced there with you to guide you and keep you safe in the beginning stages, you''ll be perfectly fine. Shooting can be a good stress reliever, but it''s also very, very empowering. Even I haven''t shot nearly as much as I''d like to in order to feel completely comfortable with a gun that is loaded and ready to fire, especially to carry it on my body like that. But I really think that if people give shooting a try, it can provide a lot of confidence. It''s amazing how much confidence it can give you in yourself and in your own abilities to protect yourself. Once you do that, it''s interesting how much faith you have in yourself and being able to shoot a firearm. They''re not as scary as most people think. They''re just dangerous in the wrong hands. Those hands have to be educated, and be alert at all times. And to get to that point, having someone alongside who is already there is the stepping stone.

You''re right-it''s smart to get to be more aware of and more comfortable with guns! JD and my dad are so good with them, it''s like they''re an extension of their bodies. Dad was a Marine, so I can see that even tho he''s been out since before I was born, that Military training and such is still a part of him. They''re both big hunters, and I do plan on taking Hunters Safety so I can go too..tho I want to do it w/my mom so I''m not the only girl and the only one above age 12 hahaha!

For being around them my whole life (when we were little, the gun cabinet was never locked, we just understood that if we so much as opened the door a tiny crack to look inside, we''d be unable to sit down for a month-our cabinet is locked in two places, the ammo is separate and locked, and all this reloading stuff is separate from that and locked), I don''t know much about them, and I''ve not shot more than a handful of times. I shot JD''s AR last summer and about wet myself. He and dad are real patient tho, about helping me learn how to hold the gun and myself properly. I saw a woman at Scheel''s last weekend pick up a gun, tuck it in and position it perfect and I thought oooo I want to be able to be that confident! Like Roland the Gunslinger!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:58:20 PM

Strawberries,
Actually, I got DH a whole setup for Christmas, for about $300...for 3 different calibers. We ordered it through an online catalog, so I think that helped the price, as opposed to buying the setup at a B&M (totally different B&M than usually referred to on here, I know!!!)

Kat
Hahahahaha, B&M... hahaha that''s hilarious!
3.gif

I don''t know the ins and outs of what they''re looking at. They can spend a little money and get one that is a really slow reloading rate and they have to do all the work by hand... or pay a lot more and get one that does it all for them at some insanely fast rate. They''re looking at ones in magazines mainly I think. Don''t remember which catalogues, or which brands of reloaders they were looking at. The conceal carry course instructor had his own reloading business too and FI and his buddy were practically drooling in there at all the reloading equipment.
5.gif
They stayed after the course for like an hour asking him questions and advice.

Do you know where you ordered it from, or what brand it is? Or what features it has (hehe you don''t have to be too detailed for me, I''ll make it easy on you
37.gif
)?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get a good one that helps to automate the process. BIL the moron does all of his measuring, etc by hand and f''ed up the primers on a whole batch. That''s why FI got the progressive press. He doesn''t have to worry about measuring wrong.

LOL I''m such a girly girl IRL I think it''s funny that I''m so engrossed in a convo about GUNS! LOL. FI would be so proud.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:44:29 PM
You know, I got to thinking after reading lyra, jsm, and packrat's posts...

You guys mentioned slight intimidation or the fear you have of guns. I really think that anyone who has thought about it or considered it at all would enjoy shooting (if they haven't tried already). If you have someone experienced there with you to guide you and keep you safe in the beginning stages, you'll be perfectly fine. Shooting can be a good stress reliever, but it's also very, very empowering. Even I haven't shot nearly as much as I'd like to in order to feel completely comfortable with a gun that is loaded and ready to fire, especially to carry it on my body like that. But I really think that if people give shooting a try, it can provide a lot of confidence. It's amazing how much confidence it can give you in yourself and in your own abilities to protect yourself. Once you do that, it's interesting how much faith you have in yourself and being able to shoot a firearm. They're not as scary as most people think. They're just dangerous in the wrong hands. Those hands have to be educated, and be alert at all times. And to get to that point, having someone alongside who is already there is the stepping stone.
I wanted to comment on this too.

My ex-boyfriend originally taught me how to shoot when I moved out on my own...I shot his .45 at the range and got very comfortable with the feel of the gun, actually shooting it, and breaking it down to clean it. I eventually got myself a little .380, and I remember my sister (who is now in the Navy) coming over to my apartment and being really nervous about where the gun was stored, etc. Fast forward a couple of years, she joined the Navy and can shoot with the best of them, and we laugh when we think back on when she wanted nothing to do with guns!

When DH and I started dating, he said he knew he was in it for the long haul because I wasn't afraid to shoot/load/clean a gun.

It is very empowering to know how to use it, but the key is to have someone around that is patient enough to educate you about every aspect of that gun. My DH often says it is a tool...when operated in the correct manner, it can be very useful.

And Strawberries, it's a Lee press, and we got it through Midway USA, which is an online dealer. DH said to tell you that it's an "anniversary" deal for Lee products, and for $100 you get everything except the dies needed for each caliber of bullet.

Anyway, great thread.

Kat

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:04:56 PM

Date: 3/3/2009 7:58:20 PM

Strawberries,

Kat
Hahahahaha, B&M... hahaha that's hilarious!
3.gif

I don't know the ins and outs of what they're looking at. They can spend a little money and get one that is a really slow reloading rate and they have to do all the work by hand... or pay a lot more and get one that does it all for them at some insanely fast rate. They're looking at ones in magazines mainly I think. Don't remember which catalogues, or which brands of reloaders they were looking at. The conceal carry course instructor had his own reloading business too and FI and his buddy were practically drooling in there at all the reloading equipment.
5.gif
They stayed after the course for like an hour asking him questions and advice.

Do you know where you ordered it from, or what brand it is? Or what features it has (hehe you don't have to be too detailed for me, I'll make it easy on you
37.gif
)?
Strawberries,
DH just went online and said the set is now $89.00!!!
31.gif

www.midwayusa.com, product number 423081
It's not a progressive press, but once they get started, it's easy. Well, and addictive...DH spends hours out in his tool shed
9.gif

Let me know if you need any more info...
Kat

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I carry this:

chanel pistol shoe.JPG

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
For people who are wanting the best weapon for home defense, just buy an inexpensive shotgun. Have the barrel cut down to the minimum legal length. Load the first chamber with shot, and the second with a deer slug.

You don''t have to aim much with shot (wide pattern), then when they''re down and whining "you shot me, you shot me", you finish them off with the slug. This works for women as there''s a presumption of fear of bodily harm. Probably not such a great idea for your hubby or BF. If someone breaks into my home there won''t be any going to court to testify against the idiot.
38.gif

(Advice from the LAPD detective I used to live with)

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:31:53 PM
I carry this:
Diamante,
Where can I get a pair of these?
My birthday is coming up...

Kat

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:39:36 PM
Author: purrfectpear
For people who are wanting the best weapon for home defense, just buy an inexpensive shotgun. Have the barrel cut down to the minimum legal length. Load the first chamber with shot, and the second with a deer slug.

You don''t have to aim much with shot (wide pattern), then when they''re down and whining ''you shot me, you shot me'', you finish them off with the slug. This works for women as there''s a presumption of fear of bodily harm. Probably not such a great idea for your hubby or BF. If someone breaks into my home there won''t be any going to court to testify against the idiot.
38.gif

Pear,
That is some sound advice. Lock, stock and barrel!

Kat

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and one day when i was participating on both pricescope and a gun forum, my hubby looked over my shoulder and stated something along the lines that he''d bet there was no other woman doing such a thing on pricescope!

mz

ps can''t wait to show him this thread!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:43:19 PM
I carry this:
Diamante,
Kat

Here ya go!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Yes:
AK-47
AR-15
Sig Pro.40
My husband got me a stun baton for Christmas
5.gif

The guns belong to my husband, he enjoys going shooting. For the record they are kept in a bolted digital safe.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:44:33 PM

You don''t have to aim much with shot (wide pattern), then when they''re down and whining ''you shot me, you shot me'', you finish them off with the slug. This works for women as there''s a presumption of fear of bodily harm. Probably not such a great idea for your hubby or BF. If someone breaks into my home there won''t be any going to court to testify against the idiot.
38.gif

Pear,

Kat

FI''s favorite trick is to load a shotgun with nickels. They''ll cut someone in half, but they won''t go through a wall. Something to consider if you''ve got little ones in surrounding rooms...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My grandfather had some, he left them to me. Some are very old and valuable. I don''t have any bullets.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

38.gif

Isn''t there already a presumption of fear of bodily harm if they''re in your house? What does it matter if you''re a male or a female? If someone is in my house and I feel the need for a gun then it''s my right per the constitution to protect my family and my property.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this is weird. The only people that own guns in our country are farmers..

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:04:03 PM

Date: 3/3/2009 8:43:19 PM

I carry this:
Diamante,
Kat

Here ya go!
Blu (can I call you Blu?):
Those are priceless!
Reminds me of something Agent 99 would have worn in Get Smart, huh? (or a Bond girl)

Kat

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:06:23 PM

Date: 3/3/2009 8:44:33 PM

38.gif

Pear,

Kat

FI''s favorite trick is to load a shotgun with nickels. They''ll cut someone in half, but they won''t go through a wall. Something to consider if you''ve got little ones in surrounding rooms...
Actually, that is interesting.
We have a 5-year-old, and our guns are locked up in a safe, but in the case of an uninvited party trying to come in...good tip.
There are a lot of good tips on here...the Hoppe''s No. 9 in the morning, included!!!

Kat

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should also note that FI is a former range officer for the Warwick RI police force. Warwick has the only tire house in the state (a place where the force can go to practice drills with assault weapons, etc) and has trained with numerous special groups. So he''s not just joe shmoe spouting cr*p. That being said, please do your own due diligence and research before adopting any practices you hear about on PS.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 9:07:01 PM
Author: Kaleigh
My grandfather had some, he left them to me. Some are very old and valuable. I don't have any bullets.
me neither...mine ran out yrs ago !!
7.gif
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results