shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own a gun? What kind? What do you use it for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha husband just called from work and I told him about this thread and how surprised I was at the number of women posting not only about what their men have, but what THEY have and how knowledgeable they are. He''s not surprised tho. A lot of his hunting shows have women in them, and a lot of the stuff is being marketed towards women. Now he has renewed interest in taking me out shooting so I can play w/the big girls too hahaha.

I asked him about the shows too, and they''re Personal Defense TV and Tactical Advantage, both on the Sportsmans channel, and American Guardian on the Outdoor channel.

You know what else I like to watch? The shows about the trick shooters-I just sit w/my eyes glued to the screen, it''s so neat! There''s one guy who can shoot a huge amount of clay pigeons just boom boom boom! And one guy who shot a playing card (split it, from the thin top part!), but he was aiming the gun backwards over his shoulder, and aiming w/a mirror.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I enjoy the shooting range, and would like to go back. I''ve shot a glock (sp?) and a 9mm. It was a good time. I''d also like to do skeet shooting, or clay shooting.

I will not allow a gun in my home though. Too risky for my tastes. SO is not thrilled with this, though.
28.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I own an antique 12 guage browning shot gun. It is my pride and joy and yes I can shoot it. I mostly use it for target practice.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:28:19 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I should also note that FI is a former range officer for the Warwick RI police force. Warwick has the only tire house in the state (a place where the force can go to practice drills with assault weapons, etc) and has trained with numerous special groups. So he's not just joe shmoe spouting cr*p. That being said, please do your own due diligence and research before adopting any practices you hear about on PS.

I am a certified pistol instructor [BTW, my pistol of choice is my HK P7M13 although I like my 1911 too along with the other "toys"] and a Range Officer for the NH Tactical Arts Group. I agree with HH and urge all of you to get properly trained and make sure you practice if you plan to carry or otherwise use firearms.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone know what a Derringer is??

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it's a mouse gun. [joke]

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
a pea shooter??

I''ve always wanted a derringer. They''re so petite and romantic.....they don''t have the best stopping power however.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 10:11:29 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Date: 3/3/2009 9:28:19 PM

I should also note that FI is a former range officer for the Warwick RI police force. Warwick has the only tire house in the state (a place where the force can go to practice drills with assault weapons, etc) and has trained with numerous special groups. So he''s not just joe shmoe spouting cr*p. That being said, please do your own due diligence and research before adopting any practices you hear about on PS.

I am a certified pistol instructor [BTW, my pistol of choice is my HK P7M13 although I like my 1911 too along with the other ''toys''] and a Range Officer for the NH Tactical Arts Group. I agree with HH and urge all of you to get properly trained and make sure you practice if you plan to carry or otherwise use firearms.

My goodness! You learn something new every day.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t have one,

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 10:22:56 PM
a pea shooter??

I''ve always wanted a derringer. They''re so petite and romantic.....they don''t have the best stopping power however.
Actually if you''re going to carry a gun for personal defense out on the street, a tiny .22 is ideal as a purse gun. You aren''t going to shoot someone at a distance anyway (the presumption is you should be running away
2.gif
).

In most cases you wouldn''t be shooting anyone until they had laid hands on you. A .22 bounces around nicely in a torso and does quite a bit of damage.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 10:15:57 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Anyone know what a Derringer is??

Seriously, it is a small, simple, easily concealable pistol that was originally developed and manufactured by Henry Deringer in the 1800''s. Here is a link with a little info.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
We have a 9mm Baby Desert Eagle and a .357 Magnum. I carry a .38 Special revolver and a Remington 12 gauge shot gun at work. We will be switching to Smith & Wesson M&P in the very near future. Our personal firearms are for target shooting.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Six rifles, five handguns, three shotguns. Most locked up in a gun safe.

Used for hunting (I eat what I shoot--can''t stand those that don''t), target practice/stress relief, and Cowboy Action Shooting--what an absolute blast! It is a shame the only CAS club nearby shoots on days I can''t make it.

I load all my own rifle ammo on a single-stage press and handgun ammo on a progressive (both Lees) My spare bedroom is a dedicated "gun room"

Haven''t gotten my concealed carry in Kansas yet. I need to get it so that I can legally carry hunting handguns in a flap holster, under a jacket, and in the passenger compartment of the car during deer season.

By the way Storm, how well does Hoppe''s No. 9 work as cologne?

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:00:19 PM
Author: packrat

You''re right-it''s smart to get to be more aware of and more comfortable with guns! JD and my dad are so good with them, it''s like they''re an extension of their bodies. Dad was a Marine, so I can see that even tho he''s been out since before I was born, that Military training and such is still a part of him. They''re both big hunters, and I do plan on taking Hunters Safety so I can go too..tho I want to do it w/my mom so I''m not the only girl and the only one above age 12 hahaha!

For being around them my whole life (when we were little, the gun cabinet was never locked, we just understood that if we so much as opened the door a tiny crack to look inside, we''d be unable to sit down for a month-our cabinet is locked in two places, the ammo is separate and locked, and all this reloading stuff is separate from that and locked), I don''t know much about them, and I''ve not shot more than a handful of times. I shot JD''s AR last summer and about wet myself. He and dad are real patient tho, about helping me learn how to hold the gun and myself properly. I saw a woman at Scheel''s last weekend pick up a gun, tuck it in and position it perfect and I thought oooo I want to be able to be that confident! Like Roland the Gunslinger!
Hehe packrat you''re funny!
3.gif
Yeah it''s really neat to see people who have been around it for so long and are so comfortable with it. I''ve been around them a lot but am still wary enough that I make sure I''m all eyes and ears, almost overly careful. At least you aspire to have that confidence - that''s great!! I do too. Haha, gotta get some more money to buy some more ammo before any more practice though!

The way you talked about the gun cabinet when you were little is how all my family was - you know where the guns are, but you just DO NOT go near them. And parents made sure the kids knew how to handle them safely, but only when they were old enough and at least smart enough to retain information. I''ll have the fingerprint locks for the guns by the bed when I have kids. Otherwise, I plan to have some sort of gun cabinet or safe for the rest of them.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own 2 gun cases full. I have no idea what any of them are/the names. lol I inherited them from my dad. My middle son uses 2 of them, one for shooting skeet/trap, and the other for pistol range. They will all be divided up between my 3 boys. I do know one of them is worth some money.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:10:28 PM
Get a good one that helps to automate the process. BIL the moron does all of his measuring, etc by hand and f''ed up the primers on a whole batch. That''s why FI got the progressive press. He doesn''t have to worry about measuring wrong.

LOL I''m such a girly girl IRL I think it''s funny that I''m so engrossed in a convo about GUNS! LOL. FI would be so proud.
Haha Hudson that''s awesome - make sure he knows you''re having this convo!
1.gif

Yeah FI told me last night that he wants his 2 main hobbies at home to be mechanic-ing in the garage, and shooting and reloading. When we move this spring, he''s got plans for a reloading bench in the garage already. Yeah he really wants the automated reloaders, but his buddy wants to go cheaper and get the manual ones. I''m with you - I think the automated would be a lot safer and smarter in the long run - saves time, which saves money. The instructor even commented that it''s cheaper to buy the manual ones, but it''s really a matter of how much your time is worth to you to have to sit there and do it all by hand.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:16:25 PM
Author: got2goldens

I wanted to comment on this too.

My ex-boyfriend originally taught me how to shoot when I moved out on my own...I shot his .45 at the range and got very comfortable with the feel of the gun, actually shooting it, and breaking it down to clean it. I eventually got myself a little .380, and I remember my sister (who is now in the Navy) coming over to my apartment and being really nervous about where the gun was stored, etc. Fast forward a couple of years, she joined the Navy and can shoot with the best of them, and we laugh when we think back on when she wanted nothing to do with guns!

When DH and I started dating, he said he knew he was in it for the long haul because I wasn''t afraid to shoot/load/clean a gun.

It is very empowering to know how to use it, but the key is to have someone around that is patient enough to educate you about every aspect of that gun. My DH often says it is a tool...when operated in the correct manner, it can be very useful.

And Strawberries, it''s a Lee press, and we got it through Midway USA, which is an online dealer. DH said to tell you that it''s an ''anniversary'' deal for Lee products, and for $100 you get everything except the dies needed for each caliber of bullet.

Anyway, great thread.

Kat
That''s awesome that you AND your sister are so comfortable with them now! And you''re exactly right about having someone around who''s patient and willing to teach thoroughly - my FI is that way, and I''m so grateful for that. I''m really glad it''s him and not some rude instructor like the ones at most of the gun shop ranges around here. The only nice ones are the ones out in the country - that''s why took our conceal carry course out there instead of in the city.
5.gif

Thank you for the info and numbers on the press. That''s a heck of a deal - and at $89 now too! Yeah the progressive is what FI really wants, but I don''t know if he''s willing to spend the money right now. Hehe, he needs a good hobby anyway, and he''s really excited about having a nice garage and workbench when we move soon. So I''ll show this to him - thanks!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:44:33 PM
Author: got2goldens

Date: 3/3/2009 8:39:36 PM
Author: purrfectpear
For people who are wanting the best weapon for home defense, just buy an inexpensive shotgun. Have the barrel cut down to the minimum legal length. Load the first chamber with shot, and the second with a deer slug.

You don''t have to aim much with shot (wide pattern), then when they''re down and whining ''you shot me, you shot me'', you finish them off with the slug. This works for women as there''s a presumption of fear of bodily harm. Probably not such a great idea for your hubby or BF. If someone breaks into my home there won''t be any going to court to testify against the idiot.
38.gif

(Advice from the LAPD detective I used to live with)
Pear,
That is some sound advice. Lock, stock and barrel!

Kat
Purrfectpear - Good advice. That''s exactly what our instructor said to someone who asked if you can just shoot them in the foot or something. Without outright saying it (because legally he''s not allowed to say this), he told us you don''t want to shoot to hurt, because then there''s the hearings and the person is still there. If there''s an intruder in your house, you want to be the one that answers the questions. The only one.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:02:02 PM
Author: movie zombie
and one day when i was participating on both pricescope and a gun forum, my hubby looked over my shoulder and stated something along the lines that he''d bet there was no other woman doing such a thing on pricescope!

mz

ps can''t wait to show him this thread!
Hahahaha MZ I hope you show him this and that he is darn proud of you! Hehe and I hope he has a whole new respect for PS!

I had this thread open last night and went to cook supper and left it open. FI got on my computer after supper and said "Got you a gun thread on Pricescope, huh?" I said "Yep!" Haha, and he just smiled and shook his head, and went on about his business.
3.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:05:14 PM
Author: VegasAngel
Yes:
AK-47
AR-15
Sig Pro.40
My husband got me a stun baton for Christmas
5.gif

The guns belong to my husband, he enjoys going shooting. For the record they are kept in a bolted digital safe.
Cool collection!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:06:23 PM

FI''s favorite trick is to load a shotgun with nickels. They''ll cut someone in half, but they won''t go through a wall. Something to consider if you''ve got little ones in surrounding rooms...
Hudson - I''ve never heard of this. I''m sure FI has - I''ll have to ask him. Good idea, since I''m in a townhome and have neighbors...

Haha, yuck to the mental image of a nickel cutting someone in half...
14.gif
Somehow it''s weirder to me thank thinking about ammo...

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 8:30:40 AM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

Date: 3/3/2009 9:02:02 PM
Author: movie zombie
and one day when i was participating on both pricescope and a gun forum, my hubby looked over my shoulder and stated something along the lines that he''d bet there was no other woman doing such a thing on pricescope!

mz

ps can''t wait to show him this thread!
Hahahaha MZ I hope you show him this and that he is darn proud of you! Hehe and I hope he has a whole new respect for PS!

I had this thread open last night and went to cook supper and left it open. FI got on my computer after supper and said ''Got you a gun thread on Pricescope, huh?'' I said ''Yep!'' Haha, and he just smiled and shook his head, and went on about his business.
3.gif
Ha-ha!
Yeah, this is the ONLY time Dh has actually been interested to see what is being posted on PS. Usually, I am trying to show him something from SMTR, babbling on about diamond stats, etc. and I can just see him glazing over as I speak. Not this time!

Kat

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:43:27 PM
Author: packrat
Hahaha husband just called from work and I told him about this thread and how surprised I was at the number of women posting not only about what their men have, but what THEY have and how knowledgeable they are. He''s not surprised tho. A lot of his hunting shows have women in them, and a lot of the stuff is being marketed towards women. Now he has renewed interest in taking me out shooting so I can play w/the big girls too hahaha.

I asked him about the shows too, and they''re Personal Defense TV and Tactical Advantage, both on the Sportsmans channel, and American Guardian on the Outdoor channel.

You know what else I like to watch? The shows about the trick shooters-I just sit w/my eyes glued to the screen, it''s so neat! There''s one guy who can shoot a huge amount of clay pigeons just boom boom boom! And one guy who shot a playing card (split it, from the thin top part!), but he was aiming the gun backwards over his shoulder, and aiming w/a mirror.
Thanks for the info packrat.

Yeah aren''t those shows awesome? One of the guys I''ve seen on TV before (can''t remember his name, can''t find it online) actually visited the shop FI got his gun at - they had photos of the guy with the shop owner. I remember watching him on TV set some record for shooting skeet, can''t remember it right now. Haha, anyway, fun stuff!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 10:28:50 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Date: 3/3/2009 10:22:56 PM
a pea shooter??

Actually if you''re going to carry a gun for personal defense out on the street, a tiny .22 is ideal as a purse gun. You aren''t going to shoot someone at a distance anyway (the presumption is you should be running away
2.gif
).

In most cases you wouldn''t be shooting anyone until they had laid hands on you. A .22 bounces around nicely in a torso and does quite a bit of damage.
That''s what I''ve thought about doing - something tiny that''s easy to conceal. But I don''t want to carry in my purse - I want it to be on my body somewhere. Too paranoid about purses getting stolen before anything else, then there goes my weapon.

Haha and nice graphics.
2.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
DiamanteBlu -- even your hampster packs heat... that is awesome!
9.gif

I bought two tickets to the gun show... anyone want to come?

anchorman62.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
My hubby too saw I was looking at this thread yesterday and had to make a double take-hahaha!!! Diamonds and guns-nice.

He said I'm suppose to tell you I began to shoot, because my hubby thinks it's sexy! Just like a man :)

Actually, I've been around guns all my life. I used to shoot with my dad and grandpa. Guns were not a mystery to us in our home when I was little-if we wanted to take them out and look at them, we just had to ask. I think that was a good thing-he taught us how to handle them safely and always presume they are loaded and ready to fire.

My hubby and I target shoot together, it is nice stress relief and quit empowering as a woman! Also, have them for personal protection. I carry full time.

Strawberries-do you like to shoot revolvers??? If so, you should consider one as a carry gun-airwieghts, preferably. I personally don't enjoy revolvers much myself and am actually considering switching out my 9mm with a Para .45 WartHog(stainless with rosewood handles-I'm still a girl, it can still be pretty-right!?!?!). My fav handguns to target shoot with are 1911 style .45, so something I would be really comfortable with. My pretty comment made me think, have you seen the guns that they are marketing toward women now??? They have some that are pink and purple-AHHHH!

I know as a woman, that .22 tend to be the caliber of choice because of the ease of shooting, but in all reality they don't have much take down power and I would personally never choose one for personal protection-only target shooting.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
tlh-that''s hilarious :)

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 9:05:59 AM
Author: stepcutnut
My hubby too saw I was looking at this thread yesterday and had to make a double take-hahaha!!! Diamonds and guns-nice.

He said I''m suppose to tell you I began to shoot, because my hubby thinks it''s sexy! Just like a man :)

Actually, I''ve been around guns all my life. I used to shoot with my dad and grandpa. Guns were not a mystery to us in our home when I was little-if we wanted to take them out and look at them, we just had to ask. I think that was a good thing-he taught us how to handle them safely and always presume they are loaded and ready to fire.

My hubby and I target shoot together, it is nice stress relief and quit empowering as a woman! Also, have them for personal protection. I carry full time.

Strawberries-do you like to shoot revolvers??? If so, you should consider one as a carry gun-airwieghts, preferably. I personally don''t enjoy revolvers much myself and am actually considering switching out my 9mm with a Para .45 WartHog(stainless with rosewood handles-I''m still a girl, it can still be pretty-right!?!?!). My fav handguns to target shoot with are 1911 style .45, so something I would be really comfortable with.

I know as a woman, that .22 tend to be the caliber of choice because of the ease of shooting, but in all reality they don''t have much take down power and I would personally never choose one for personal protection-only target shooting.
Well, we have to protect all those diamonds somehow, right???
9.gif

DH and I don''t currently own a gun, but we''re looking for one. We''d like to get some kind of pistol that both of us can comfortably shoot. We would use it for target practice and home defense. Any suggestions? (Keep in mind . . . my right wrist is VERY arthritic so I would need something that doesn''t kick a whole lot.)
21.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 9:15:28 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Date: 3/4/2009 9:05:59 AM

Author: stepcutnut

He said I'm suppose to tell you I began to shoot, because my hubby thinks it's sexy! Just like a man :)

Actually, I've been around guns all my life. I used to shoot with my dad and grandpa. Guns were not a mystery to us in our home when I was little-if we wanted to take them out and look at them, we just had to ask. I think that was a good thing-he taught us how to handle them safely and always presume they are loaded and ready to fire.

Strawberries-do you like to shoot revolvers??? If so, you should consider one as a carry gun-airwieghts, preferably. I personally don't enjoy revolvers much myself and am actually considering switching out my 9mm with a Para .45 WartHog(stainless with rosewood handles-I'm still a girl, it can still be pretty-right!?!?!). My fav handguns to target shoot with are 1911 style .45, so something I would be really comfortable with.

I know as a woman, that .22 tend to be the caliber of choice because of the ease of shooting, but in all reality they don't have much take down power and I would personally never choose one for personal protection-only target shooting.
Well, we have to protect all those diamonds somehow, right???
9.gif

DH and I don't currently own a gun, but we're looking for one. We'd like to get some kind of pistol that both of us can comfortably shoot. We would use it for target practice and home defense. Any suggestions? (Keep in mind . . . my right wrist is VERY arthritic so I would need something that doesn't kick a whole lot.)
21.gif

That's right
9.gif

Irish-you can vary your hand hold while shooting to help your wrist, so you should be able to shoot a variety of handguns and still be comfortable.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Pear, your advice about a shotgun for home defense is spot on! I received the same advice from a cop and he added that if you mount a small flashlight on the barrel, it can serve as a sight at night for you and wherever that light shines = trouble. We did that (and added a heat shield) and it looks pretty cool! Imagine an intruder in your house hearing the shuck-shuck of the pump action then being blinded by a flashlight... haha, I doubt you''d even need to fire it.
I actually put night sights on my Beretta as well, their luminescent so they glow. Pretty neat.
My dad is an avid collector of guns and knives and he''s got an AR15 as well. He also just picked up a Winchester 30/30 that''s about 75 years old. I''m dying to visit him in FL and take them to the range.
Say cheese:

p_moss.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results