shape
carat
color
clarity

DO YOU IRON ''take 2'' - paging Canuck-Gal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OMG the drugery heaped on women!!

Before there were washboards . . .
Washing beetles, laundry bats, beetle-stones, possing-sticks, dollies

link: http://www.oldandinteresting.com/washing-beetles-possing.aspx

POUNDING A HEAP OF CLOTH IN THE RIVER AND SPREADING IT ON A BEETLE STONE????
6.gif

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 1:39:23 PM
Author: bebe

Ya know, I have 2 old iron ''irons''. Amazing they used those considering how heavy they are and small. Can''t imagine how long it took to iron just a single dress.

here: http://www.oldandinteresting.com/antique-irons-smoothers-mangles.aspx

Excerpt:

Blacksmiths started forging simple flat irons in the late Middle Ages. Plain metal irons were heated by a fire or on a stove. Some were made of stone, like these soapstone irons from Italy. Earthenware and terracotta were also used, from the Middle East to the Netherlands.

Flat irons were also called sad irons or smoothing irons. Metal handles had to be gripped in a pad or thick rag. Some irons had cool wooden handles and in 1870 a detachable handle was patented in the US. This stayed cool while the metal bases were heated and the idea was widely imitated. (See these irons from Central Europe.) The sad in sad iron (or sadiron) is an old word for solid, and in some contexts this name suggests something bigger and heavier than a flat iron. Goose or tailor''s goose was another iron name, and this came from the goose-neck curve in some handles. In Scotland people spoke of gusing (goosing) irons.

You''d need at least two irons on the go together for an effective system: one in use, and one re-heating. Large households with servants had a special ironing-stove for this purpose. Some were fitted with slots for several irons, and a water-jug on top.

At home, ironing traditional fabrics without the benefit of electricity was a hot, arduous job. Irons had to be kept immaculately clean, sand-papered and polished. They must be kept away from burning fuel, and be regularly but lightly greased to avoid rusting. Beeswax prevented irons sticking to starched cloth. Constant care was needed over temperature. Experience would help decide when the iron was hot enough, but not so hot that it would scorch the cloth. A well-known test was spitting on the hot metal, but Charles Dickens describes someone with a more genteel technique in The Old Curiosity Shop. She held "the iron at an alarmingly short distance from her cheek, to test its temperature..."

6.gif

(and *some* think my mangle iron is primitive!!!)

LS

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, my old iron irons have some rust on them. Hard to imagine what people went through back then. Cleaning your irons, just to iron, uggggh.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 11:47:33 AM
Author: LostSapphire
Gailey:

I would *think* the chance of flat mice would be more likely in a ''non-Ironrite'' model...ie: one without a cover...ie: a tabletop unit...like, hmmm, that one in Montana??
31.gif

Sorry couldn''t resist!

NOW GET BACK TO YOUR IRONING GIRLIE!

LS
Touché!

Dipped out on the ironing I''m afraid. I went to meet the man from Idar-Oberstein instead. Dangerous, very dangerous ........

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 5:02:52 PM
Author: bebe
Oh gosh, my old iron irons have some rust on them. Hard to imagine what people went through back then. Cleaning your irons, just to iron, uggggh.
*sick*
**very sick**

I can hardly imagine!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
At 6:30 p.m. sweet DH asked me to iron 2 pairs of his dress slacks.

I rolled the mangler out of the closet. (it rolls on castors dontcha know!)
Warmed it up (10 minutes).
Pressed both pairs of slacks.
Hung up the slacks on his trouser hangers.
Let the mangle cool and put back into the closet
Back to Judge Judy at 7:00 p.m.

woohoo

LS

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 11:49:09 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 3/15/2009 6:52:43 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

That managle would be such a dream to own--I found the fancy sheets with small ribbing really requires a lot of ironing--I''d have never bought them had I known; if you don''t press them completly, you get ''rib'' burn....

cheers--Sfharon
Sharon, that''s just hysterical! You sure as hell need one of these irons - think of your knees!
HI:

9.gif
17.gif

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
LS, sorry to thread jack for a minute but I have a message for Sharon

CG - check out my thread on Coloured Stones about the man I met today. He''s still in Calgary tomorrow morning. If you are interested, I will send a message to admin about the location. I''m sort of loathe to post it in case I attract someone to him who would not be scrupulous.

Thanks LS: difficult to know what was more exciting today, reading your ironing posts or checking out the ''stones''!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 7:04:27 PM
At 6:30 p.m. sweet DH asked me to iron 2 pairs of his dress slacks.

I rolled the mangler out of the closet. (it rolls on castors dontcha know!)
Warmed it up (10 minutes).
Pressed both pairs of slacks.
Hung up the slacks on his trouser hangers.
Let the mangle cool and put back into the closet
Back to Judge Judy at 7:00 p.m.

woohoo

LS
Now I don''t know if the table top one will be good enough. If I got it, it would have to live in the basement on a table. No great shakes, I could do that. But, if I had one on wheels I could park it in the closet in our bedroom. I don''t suppose you enquired if they would ship to Calgary did you?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:28:14 PM
Now I don''t know if the table top one will be good enough. If I got it, it would have to live in the basement on a table. No great shakes, I could do that. But, if I had one on wheels I could park it in the closet in our bedroom. I don''t suppose you enquired if they would ship to Calgary did you?
IKWYM about it being in the basement. That''s what I first thought, then realized that a) I hate going to the basement, and b) I like to iron and watch tv.

When I picked mine up on Saturday, we talked about it. I am pretty sure she would, but you''d have to pay the shipping charges (those were quite hefty, remember?).

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:25:45 PM
LS, sorry to thread jack for a minute but I have a message for Sharon
No worries. It''s not like we''re discussing World Peace or something!
LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:13:14 PM

HI:

That managle would be such a dream to own--I found the fancy sheets with small ribbing really requires a lot of ironing--I''d have never bought them had I known; if you don''t press them completly, you get ''rib'' burn....

cheers--Sfharon
Sharon, that''s just hysterical! You sure as hell need one of these irons - think of your knees!
HI:

9.gif
17.gif

cheers--Sharon
C-G + Gailey:
Explain please.
31.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 9:06:45 PM

HI:

cheers--Sfharon
HI:

9.gif
17.gif

cheers--Sharon
C-G + Gailey:
Explain please.
31.gif
Can''t, my fingers are blushing, they won''t type, besides Toto might be reading.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Think joggers nipple, it''s a friction kind of thing
emidea.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 9:04:32 PM

Date: 3/16/2009 8:28:14 PM
IKWYM about it being in the basement. That''s what I first thought, then realized that a) I hate going to the basement, and b) I like to iron and watch tv.

When I picked mine up on Saturday, we talked about it. I am pretty sure she would, but you''d have to pay the shipping charges (those were quite hefty, remember?).

LS
Yeah, that''s a very real problem and the main reason I hardly ever use the sewing machine I stomped me feet over until it arrived. I don''t like doing stuff in the basement period - old house, no windows.

So I''m not sure I can iron in the basement, certainly no once the euphoria wears off. Maybe I can get some sort of wheelie trolley I can park in a closet in the spare room.

LS, remind me again of the e-bay seller you got yours from again and I''ll fire off a shipping question to her. When you factor in driving and accommodation costs of going to Montana, there''s probably not a lot in it.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 9:29:26 PM
Yeah, that''s a very real problem and the main reason I hardly ever use the sewing machine I stomped me feet over until it arrived. I don''t like doing stuff in the basement period - old house, no windows.

So I''m not sure I can iron in the basement, certainly no once the euphoria wears off. Maybe I can get some sort of wheelie trolley I can park in a closet in the spare room.

LS, remind me again of the e-bay seller you got yours from again and I''ll fire off a shipping question to her. When you factor in driving and accommodation costs of going to Montana, there''s probably not a lot in it.
I have the same problem with basements. Even though ours is technically ''finished'' I still hate being below ground doing stuff. I have a big office on the ground floor, and have my sewing machine set up by the window. If I could have, I''d have put the mangler in there but no room in the closet. The TV room was the next best thing. I can''t iron without TV!

LS

Here''s the cut+paste from page #2:

Gailey:

My IronRite lady (her name is JoAnn) will ship to Calgary. She''s just gotten an estimate based on size/weight of the box, and it would run about $300 US$ YIKES.

However, if this is what your heart desires, you can contact her. I won''t post her e-mail on this forum but here is a link to her Ebay listing. There is a "contact seller'' button on the top right hand corner. If you use that, it goes through a private server and she''ll get your message and respond back to you. (you will need to be"registered" as an ebay user to use this link. If you''re not, just click it and a registration page comes up. They take basic e-mail info and you''re all set. It doesn''t commit you to buying or selling anything, just gives you like a "user ID" for their site).

She''s really nice and helpful. But isn''t expecting you to fork out that kind of $$..unless you have OCD like me, of course. She has been an Ebay seller for over 10 years and has 100% positive feedback.

Here''s the Ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-COTTON-MUSLIN-ROLLER-COVER-FITS-IRONRITE-MANGLE_W0QQitemZ120388278033QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120388278033&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Let me know what you think!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 9:20:15 PM
Think joggers nipple, it''s a friction kind of thing
emidea.gif
emembarrassed.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 9:06:45 PM

HI:

cheers--Sfharon
HI:

9.gif
17.gif

cheers--Sharon
C-G + Gailey:
Explain please.
31.gif
HI:

Ask my DH--he is the reason for the sheets and the original "Ironing" thread to begin with!
41.gif
11.gif

Back to oour regular programming.....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 9:38:27 PM
HI:

Ask my DH--he is the reason for the sheets and the original ''Ironing'' thread to begin with!
41.gif
11.gif

Back to oour regular programming.....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
OK so now we have an admission of guilt from the instigator of this nonsense!

Gailey: pick up C-G, get in the damn car and drive east. I''ll meet you in Thunder Bay. We''ll go to Detroit together and pick up a mangle for you.

ROAD TRIP!!

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Now that doesn''t sound like a bad plan!

How about it Thelma?

Love Louise!

PS: This is in no way to denegrade CG and her problem with rib burn, but I thought you''d like to hear a funny story. I had a very bad fall September 2007. I landed on my left knee - all 150lbs of me. I was in agony for months. I got to about February and I''m seriously worried because I can''t put any weight on it and I spend my working life on my knees! So off I toodle to the doctor and he''s still advocating rest. I exclaim, "For God''s sake George, you''ve gotta fix this - gardeners are like hookers, WE NEED OUR KNEES!"

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 10:42:34 PM

How about it Thelma?

Love Louise!

PS: This is in no way to denegrade CG and her problem with rib burn, but I thought you''d like to hear a funny story. I had a very bad fall September 2007. I landed on my left knee - all 150lbs of me. I was in agony for months. I got to about February and I''m seriously worried because I can''t put any weight on it and I spend my working life on my knees! So off I toodle to the doctor and he''s still advocating rest. I exclaim, ''For God''s sake George, you''ve gotta fix this - gardeners are like hookers, WE NEED OUR KNEES!''
Well that settles it: you won''t be able to work the knee pedals on the Ironrite if you have bad knees. Tell your doctor he has to hurry up and get it sorted out. It''s going to interfere with your ability to MANGLE!

LS

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that doesn't sound like a bad plan!

How about it Thelma?

Love Louise!

PS: This is in no way to denegrade CG and her problem with rib burn, but I thought you'd like to hear a funny story. I had a very bad fall September 2007. I landed on my left knee - all 150lbs of me. I was in agony for months. I got to about February and I'm seriously worried because I can't put any weight on it and I spend my working life on my knees! So off I toodle to the doctor and he's still advocating rest. I exclaim, 'For God's sake George, you've gotta fix this - gardeners are like hookers, WE NEED OUR KNEES!'
HI:

HA! Is Brad Pitt available?

You should see my GF's rose garden--it is devine, over 200 bloomers--she is a collector.

As for the gardening--I have nothing like your excuse.
3.gif
2.gif
Enuf said!

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 9:59:05 AM

How about it Thelma?

Love Louise!

PS: This is in no way to denegrade CG and her problem with rib burn, but I thought you''d like to hear a funny story. I had a very bad fall September 2007. I landed on my left knee - all 150lbs of me. I was in agony for months. I got to about February and I''m seriously worried because I can''t put any weight on it and I spend my working life on my knees! So off I toodle to the doctor and he''s still advocating rest. I exclaim, ''For God''s sake George, you''ve gotta fix this - gardeners are like hookers, WE NEED OUR KNEES!''
HI:

You should see my GF''s rose garden--it is devine, over 200 bloomers--she is a collector.

3.gif
2.gif
Enuf said!

cheers--Sharon
Wow CG, 200 roses!! Has she ever entered the Hort Society competition? Your GF doesn''t live on Canyon Meadow Dr SW by any chance? I''m always amazed at the fantastic display and the lengths they go to there. Ask your friend if she has a floribunda rose called "Intrigue". A velvety purple with a scent to die for! I''m ashamed to say I buy mine every year! If I didn''t do what I do, I''d be volunteering to help restore the Heinbecker rose garden, I went last summer and could have cried at how it''s gone downhill since Don H passed away.

Who''d have thunk, roses would be more interesting than Brad Pitt!! Hey but I''ll ask him if he''s interested in heading to Michigan with us to get a mangle iron, we''re having breakfast later! Watch this space ...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 11:05:20 AM

Date: 3/17/2009 9:59:05 AM

How about it Thelma?

Love Louise!

HI:

You should see my GF''s rose garden--it is devine, over 200 bloomers--she is a collector.

3.gif
2.gif
Enuf said!

cheers--Sharon
Wow CG, 200 roses!! Has she ever entered the Hort Society competition? Your GF doesn''t live on Canyon Meadow Dr SW by any chance? I''m always amazed at the fantastic display and the lengths they go to there. Ask your friend if she has a floribunda rose called ''Intrigue''. A velvety purple with a scent to die for! I''m ashamed to say I buy mine every year! If I didn''t do what I do, I''d be volunteering to help restore the Heinbecker rose garden, I went last summer and could have cried at how it''s gone downhill since Don H passed away.

Who''d have thunk, roses would be more interesting than Brad Pitt!! Hey but I''ll ask him if he''s interested in heading to Michigan with us to get a mangle iron, we''re having breakfast later! Watch this space ...
HI:

She enters. She is successful. She is part of, and chairs, some "societies". No, doesn''t live on CMDr. Saw a black/purple rose in her garden last year--don''t recall the name..... Maybe I''ll take you there...

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK, finally ironed my kingsized bed set and timed it. It took me an hour and a half to do 1 fitted sheet, 1 top sheet, 1 duvet cover and 4 pillowcases. But just flat cotton, no appliqué or anything.

Have I got that right LS, it took you 20 minutes?

CG - I would love to see your friend''s roses - we''ll figure something out. Thank you. Meanwhile, I wonder if you would ask your friend a question for me. I saw the shrub rose below at Don Heinbecker''s garden last summer and just fell in love with it. It was a big rose, I would say 12-15 ft. If anything, the rose was a bit more apricot than the pink that is showing, very pad coloured! I''ve tried to identify it, but I''m not winning! I wonder if your friend would have a clue?

Heinbecker rose.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 2:53:23 PM
OK, finally ironed my kingsized bed set and timed it. It took me an hour and a half to do 1 fitted sheet, 1 top sheet, 1 duvet cover and 4 pillowcases. But just flat cotton, no appliqué or anything.

Have I got that right LS, it took you 20 minutes?
Probably 1/2 hour tops for all those pieces, depending on how well they are put together or if fussy puckered fabric (or, if the duvet cover isn''t cut perfectly square it takes a bit longer)

Sweet DH threatens to put a sign out at the end of the driveway "Lost''s Laundry".

I could sit at the mangle all day and iron....almost hypnotic.

I just finished making 2 new single duvet covers, 2 x shams and 2 x pillow cases. It was a dream, I hadn''t thought what a help it would be with ''unfinished'' sewing...I do a lot of curtains/pillows/bedding sewing and I now use the mangle to prepare my fabrics for cutting (ooh so smoooooth!), and also when I have large pieces that need seams pressed out...

OH yeah, the other thing: he wanted a couple pairs of his slacks ironed the other night. 5 minutes, tops.
3.gif

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Gailey:

I should have added to the previous post: I don't know the speeds of other mangle irons. And some seem like the roller is shorter and a smaller diameter than mine. I would imagine that would be a factor in speed.

One thing that seems different with mine is that the IronRite has a very heavy roller. And the heating element is on the bottom of the roller, not the top. When I feed fabric through, I lay it out on what's called the 'forming board' which is a 4" deep strip of heavy plastic. So I lay things out and don't need to worry about my fingers getting burnt. From the forming board, the fabric is pushed into the space between the roller and the heating element. My fingers never actually touch the hot parts...I'll see if I can find a picture for you. Some of the mangle irons I've seen online look like they feed from over the top, with the fabric going onto the roller and the heating element over top. THAT to me, looks like I'd burn my fingers...

I'll go take a pic of mine to show you what I mean....B.R.B.

And of course, having worked PROFESSIONALLY in a laundry all through highschool, I'm probably faster than most people using one for the first time!
2.gif

Good luck on your auction tomorrow!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Gailey:

Yep, this is MY MangleIron! woot woot!

I took these so you can see how the fabric feeds in from below the roller. You'll see the heavy black "forming board" which kind of creates a platform to feed the fabric through. I've put a tea towel on there so you can see how it feeds.

Below the roller (look for the silver metal) is the heating element. So the fabric is pushed in between the end of the forming board and the roller. There is always fabric in between my fingers and the heating element.

Once the fabric is in place, the knee control starts the roller moving, and it presses down onto the heating element. The pressure on the roller is quite heavy, and I think that makes a difference how things turn out.

LS

ETA: "and twas nary a flattened mouse poop in sight"

Foo178.JPG

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here are pics of other styles of mangle irons, where the fabric is fed over the top of the roller, and the heating element then presses DOWN onto the roller (and fabric, and, hmmm, maybe fingers?). There doesn't seem to be any kind of 'feed platform' like the forming board on the Ironrite.

Link below: to an ironing memorabilia website with all the different types of irons. The mangle irons start about 1/2 way down - click on "the Ironrite and other Ironing machines" and that will take you to the "mangle" section.

The "Gladiron" model you are bidding on is in there as well. Some quite good photos, and a link to request the manual!

http://www.jitterbuzz.com/indirn.html

LS

Foo183.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Cool pics LS--thanks or sharing!

Gailey: I'll ask my GF about the roses when she is back in town.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results