shape
carat
color
clarity

DO YOU IRON ''take 2'' - paging Canuck-Gal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey, whaddya know DH said "sounds great"!

That is, he was fine about the trip to Montana, but I''d be banned if I told you what he said about the mangle iron. How did you figure out it was a 7½ hour trip?

I''m off to bed now, I''ve had a migriane today and I''m pooped, but I''ll figure out a bid tomorrow, the reserve has already been met and there is only one bid on the table so far.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 11:53:31 PM
Author: Gailey
Hey, whaddya know DH said 'sounds great'!

That is, he was fine about the trip to Montana, but I'd be banned if I told you what he said about the mangle iron. How did you figure out it was a 7½ hour trip?

I'm off to bed now, I've had a migriane today and I'm pooped, but I'll figure out a bid tomorrow, the reserve has already been met and there is only one bid on the table so far.
I just went to Mapquest "directions" page, and punched in Calgary Alberta to (can't remember the town off the top of my head) Montana. It came back with the # of miles (400 something) and an estimated travel time of 7.5 hours one way.

Good luck with the migraine. Feel better soon.

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I GOT IT!!!

And I''ve already ''practiced'' on my placemats and pillow cases!

WICKED KEWL!!!!

LS

p.s. Gailey: the guys at the border just laughed at me. I had to explain in detail exactly what the thing was. Then they said if I was silly enough to want to iron with that kind of contraption, then that was "duty and taxes" enough!
9.gif
They were quite interested actually. Had never seen one before. Nothing matching the description came up on their computer.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 6:16:37 PM
Author: LostSapphire
I GOT IT!!!

WICKED KEWL!!!!

LS

p.s. Gailey: the guys at the border just laughed at me. I had to explain in detail exactly what the thing was. Then they said if I was silly enough to want to iron with that kind of contraption, then that was ''duty and taxes'' enough!
9.gif
They were quite interested actually. Had never seen one before. Nothing matching the description came up on their computer.
HI:

heehhee I kinda wish I had one....; nuthin like wickedly kewl crisp pillow cases and sheets....

cheers--Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 6:16:37 PM
I GOT IT!!!

WICKED KEWL!!!!

LS

p.s. Gailey: the guys at the border just laughed at me. I had to explain in detail exactly what the thing was. Then they said if I was silly enough to want to iron with that kind of contraption, then that was ''duty and taxes'' enough!
9.gif
YAY
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Having successfully completed my fitted sheets, I am now moving on to DUVET COVERS!!!

oh, everything feels so smooth and luscious!!

LS

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 7:35:04 PM
Having successfully completed my fitted sheets, I am now moving on to DUVET COVERS!!!

oh, everything feels so smooth and luscious!!

LS
Yay for you!!!! You are an ironing master!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey LS,

I''ve been out all day and just got in. I''ve been thinking of you and I am so envious - especially because I have a king sized duvet cover in the dryer as we speak!

How heavy is it? How easy was it to get it from the car and into the house etc. I''m watching the other one on e-bay and will bid near the end. If I don''t get it I''m coming to your house with my ironing OK?!!

Isn''t funny the things that make us happy?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
WOOHOO the duvet cover is done. It's a heavy sucker with a lot of detail on it. Took me 20 MINUTES!!!!!

Now I'm just waiting for a tablecloth to come out of the dryer partially damp....

I think my husband thinks I'm nuts.

It feels like only yesterday that I was using my mangle in Sweden! (1974-1976!!!).

I tried doing a shirt: not the best job i've ever done but not the worst either!

C'MON OVER LADIES WITH YOUR LAUNDRY: THIS THING IS A BLAST. I'VE BEEN WATCHING TV ALL NIGHT WHILE PLAYING WITH THE MANGLE. This beats knitting any day.

Gailey:
It weighs a bit over 100 lbs. Sweet DH and I carried it in from the garage. (can't be that impossible to lift because I'm still only 7 weeks post-op from brain surgery and I managed it ok....) Then we had to put the legs on and get it upright. It's amazing how they used to make things back then. The metal is really heavy, all of it painted inside and out. So hardly any rust spots in spite of the fact that it's 50+ years old.

The roller looks brown and tatty but I have a new one to put on, along with a new pad. Once that's done, it should look almost like new.

The big cabinet it comes in really protects the iron: IT looks like new. Hardly used at all.

I think the only thing we're going to do his have a new electrical cord put on. The one on it is one with one of those black fabric type covers, and it's only a 2 prong plug. The cord feels warm to the touch at the plug end.

The service manual actually gives instruction on cord replacement to a 3-prong plug so should be easy. I'll feel more comfortable with that done.

I'll see if I can get a pic of all of the pressed linens...for my brag book!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OK here is about an hour''s worth of work. These linens are really difficult to iron by hand: there is quite a pattern that is raised from the background. Almost like ironing old cut-work tablecloths. Normally to just do these for the bed would take me at least 2 1/2 hours if not more, and they wouldn''t be as smooth as these...

So I am AMAZED. This is 1 queen fitted sheet (ironed!!), 1 queen duvet covers (with 1/2 wide type piping around the edges which is usually really hard to iron), 2 pillow shams and 3 pillow cases.

ToTo decided to jump up so I let him be in the picture too. He hasn''t gone through the mangle yet...
31.gif

LS

Foo176.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Great photo LS, thanks! Now don''t get carried away and mangle Toto because you''ve run out of stuff to iron!

There is still only one bid on the table top, but 5 days to go. You know, I''ve never timed how long it takes to iron the linens and obviously, some are easier than others. I''ve got some to do later, so I will time myself.

I''m sorry to hear that you''ve had brain surgery - take it easy and good luck for a speedy recovery. Did it help with your problem?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:39:37 PM
Great photo LS, thanks! Now don't get carried away and mangle Toto because you've run out of stuff to iron!

There is still only one bid on the table top, but 5 days to go. You know, I've never timed how long it takes to iron the linens and obviously, some are easier than others. I've got some to do later, so I will time myself.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had brain surgery - take it easy and good luck for a speedy recovery. Did it help with your problem?
Hi Gailey.

5 DAYS! yikes. I didn't realize it was up for bids for such a long time.

I only know how long it takes me because I just did this whole set not too long ago. But I stopped using it because I didn't have 2-3 hours to deal with it every week. I found the duvet covers took so long because they're double thickness and I'm pretty picky about the edges and the side where it closes...

I'm recovering nicely, thank you. Seems to have helped the problem, not 100% but pretty good. DH says I'm going to wake up one day and ask him where this "d*mn mangle thing came from" and try and blame it on my brain surgery!
3.gif

Have had a little more spare time than usual this past couple of months....that'll get me into trouble every time on the internet!

Sweet DH is oiling up the castors on the bottom of the mangle. Then I'm going to put on the new pad and cover. (it smells old and musty). It will look almost brand new! WANNA COME OVER WITH YOUR LAUNDRY BASKET???
9.gif
I think I can restrain myself from mangling the 2 furkids...though I was practicing last night on their neck bandanas cause I ran out of small stuff to play on.... They're sniffing each other's neck like crazy..goofballs.

Have a wonderful day.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:55:33 PM

Date: 3/15/2009 12:39:37 PM
Great photo LS, thanks! Now don''t get carried away and mangle Toto because you''ve run out of stuff to iron!

There is still only one bid on the table top, but 5 days to go. You know, I''ve never timed how long it takes to iron the linens and obviously, some are easier than others. I''ve got some to do later, so I will time myself.

I''m sorry to hear that you''ve had brain surgery - take it easy and good luck for a speedy recovery. Did it help with your problem?
Hi Gailey.

5 DAYS! yikes. I didn''t realize it was up for bids for such a long time.

I only know how long it takes me because I just did this whole set not too long ago. But I stopped using it because I didn''t have 2-3 hours to deal with it every week. I found the duvet covers took so long because they''re double thickness and I''m pretty picky about the edges and the side where it closes...

I''m recovering nicely, thank you. Seems to have helped the problem, not 100% but pretty good. DH says I''m going to wake up one day and ask him where this ''d*mn mangle thing came from'' and try and blame it on my brain surgery!
3.gif

Have had a little more spare time than usual this past couple of months....that''ll get me into trouble every time on the internet!

Sweet DH is oiling up the castors on the bottom of the mangle. Then I''m going to put on the new pad and cover. (it smells old and musty). It will look almost brand new! WANNA COME OVER WITH YOUR LAUNDRY BASKET???
9.gif
I think I can restrain myself from mangling the 2 furkids...though I was practicing last night on their neck bandanas cause I ran out of small stuff to play on.... They''re sniffing each other''s neck like crazy..goofballs.

Have a wonderful day.

LS
Oh LS, that is funny. So long as you''re not taking in the neighbours laundry, you''ll probably not get certified! But you''re on a slippery slope with those bandanas you know.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
But how can I let a 16+ year old Cairn Terrier have a photoshoot with a wrinkled bandana??

ToTo looks so HANDSOME now!

LS

(weird though, they both sniff the bandanas like crazy after they get ironed...)

Foo177.JPG

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I think this thread is awesome! Who knew, a mangle..?

I iron my pillow cases, duvet covers and the top sheets. And it takes freaking forever!

Does anyone remember the wringer machines you put clothes through after they came out of the washing machine? My grandmother had one.
After the wringer, the clothes went on the clothes line. no dryer for her!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That managle would be such a dream to own--I found the fancy sheets with small ribbing really requires a lot of ironing--I''d have never bought them had I known; if you don''t press them completly, you get "rib" burn....

cheers--Sfharon

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 6:52:43 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

That managle would be such a dream to own--I found the fancy sheets with small ribbing really requires a lot of ironing--I''d have never bought them had I known; if you don''t press them completly, you get ''rib'' burn....

cheers--Sfharon
That was exactly my problem. The fabric is like a tone on tone but one part is raised...when they come out of the dryer the raised part puckers everything else. I can barely smooth it out with a regular steam iron.

BUT NOW I DON''T HAVE TO!!

woo hoo

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 5:25:21 PM
Author: bebe

I iron my pillow cases, duvet covers and the top sheets. And it takes freaking forever!

Does anyone remember the wringer machines you put clothes through after they came out of the washing machine? My grandmother had one.
Hey bebe!

Welcome to the ironing party! Taking a poll: how long for you to iron a full set: pillow cases, duvet cover and sheets? My latest stuff is well past the 2 hour mark because of how it puckers. How about you?

The mangle pre-dates the wringer washing machine. In fact, the wringer was modelled after the old mangles which were simply to wring water out from the washing. Then someone had the brilliant idea to attach a tub to the mangle and the wringer w.m. was born.

In the meantime, someone else figured out how to add heat to the mangle so they could be used for pressing.

It''s almost no wonder a lot of women didn''t work "outside the home" back in the day: the drudgery of housework was beyond belief. I am constantly amazed at the advances in technology, and how quickly they came along: the ''automatic washer'' was only introduced in the early 50s!

LS

bebe

Ideal_Rock
LS,

How long to iron a full set huh?

4 pillow cases
2 Euro cases
1 top sheet

definitely over an hour

add the duvet, 2 hours.

I have to keep adding water to my old iron, otherwise it really might go a little faster.
does anyone use any kind of scented spray?
I have to use a very light spray of starch on the borders of the pillow cases, so they look real "purty"
1.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 9:57:02 PM
LS,

4 pillow cases
2 Euro cases
1 top sheet

definitely over an hour

add the duvet, 2 hours.

I have to keep adding water to my old iron, otherwise it really might go a little faster.
I have to use a very light spray of starch on the borders of the pillow cases, so they look real ''purty''
1.gif
Sounds about right.....my iron would never get hot enough. And I always had to keep filling the water up.

I''m picky about the borders too: all of the piping or detail around the duvet cover, and the borders of the pillow cases too. My new duvet covers are a heavier weight cotton too, so they never really pressed up nicely...until now.

With the mangle iron, you take the stuff out of the dryer about 1/2 way dry. It heats up really hot, so you just fire them through once or twice and it''s almost like they''re starched!

I''m in heaven. I feel like I have HOTEL BEDDING.
12.gif

I''ve now done every piece of linen in my closet....wanna come over?
3.gif

We found a closet in our TV room where the mangle can just roll in and out. So I pull it out in front of the TV, plug it in and iron away while watching CNN.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 3:21:27 PM
But how can I let a 16+ year old Cairn Terrier have a photoshoot with a wrinkled bandana??

LS

(weird though, they both sniff the bandanas like crazy after they get ironed...)
He is so cute! I hate to rain on your parade LS, but it''s just possible that the reason they were sniffing at their bandanas so much may be because at some point in your iron''s history, mice might have been running over it.

Best re-do all those sheets!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 5:25:21 PM

Yep! I remember, my grandmother had one too! Mondays were wash days and whenever we were on school holidays we would often be there and the wash mangle was my job I had to stand on a wooden stool to reach the handle. I wasn''t tall enough to peg stuff out on the line, but I did iron it when it came in. She started me off on hankerchiefs, followed by tea towels and pillowcases - I was hooked!

Bebe, did your grandmother have wooden tongs to lift the laundry out of the tub with? I even remember an old wash board being at the house as well.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 6:52:43 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

That managle would be such a dream to own--I found the fancy sheets with small ribbing really requires a lot of ironing--I''d have never bought them had I known; if you don''t press them completly, you get ''rib'' burn....

cheers--Sfharon
Sharon, that''s just hysterical! You sure as hell need one of these irons - think of your knees!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
LS,

4 pillow cases
2 Euro cases
1 top sheet

definitely over an hour

add the duvet, 2 hours.

I have to use a very light spray of starch on the borders of the pillow cases, so they look real ''purty''
1.gif
AAAARRRGGGHHH, don''t get me started on the starch! (enter manic twitchy smilie here!)

Anyone remember that dark blue dye like stuff you used to put in the rinse with white sheets to keep them white looking or was that just a UK thing?

Restoration Hardware has scented ironing spray I think, they used to anyway!

I was a bad girl today and didn''t do my ironing - just doesn''t seem the same now I know about the mangle iron! DH keeps looking at me and shaking his head.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 10:07:33 PM

LS,

4 pillow cases
2 Euro cases
1 top sheet

definitely over an hour

add the duvet, 2 hours.

1.gif
Sounds about right.....my iron would never get hot enough. And I always had to keep filling the water up.

I''m picky about the borders too: all of the piping or detail around the duvet cover, and the borders of the pillow cases too. My new duvet covers are a heavier weight cotton too, so they never really pressed up nicely...until now.

With the mangle iron, you take the stuff out of the dryer about 1/2 way dry. It heats up really hot, so you just fire them through once or twice and it''s almost like they''re starched!

I''m in heaven. I feel like I have HOTEL BEDDING.
12.gif

I''ve now done every piece of linen in my closet....wanna come over?
3.gif

We found a closet in our TV room where the mangle can just roll in and out. So I pull it out in front of the TV, plug it in and iron away while watching CNN.

LS
LS,

I''ll have the whole lot to do tomorrow so I will time how long it takes. You''re making a good point about where to do it and where to store the machine. If I do get the table top unit, I will have to have it permanently set up somewhere - I''ll never be able to lift it.

I''m in a dilema now, should I stay home and iron tomorrow or accept the invitation from a local jeweller to go and meet a visiting German lapidarist from Idar-Oberstein - hmm, let me see?????

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 11:41:39 PM

Date: 3/15/2009 3:21:27 PM

LS

He is so cute! I hate to rain on your parade LS, but it''s just possible that the reason they were sniffing at their bandanas so much may be because at some point in your iron''s history, mice might have been running over it.

Best re-do all those sheets!

EW!! knock it off!
6.gif

I put on a new pad and cover before doing anything ''for real'' so no worries. This ironer is amazingly clean, however. Because it is enclosed in a cabinet, not much dirt gets on it. The ironer itself and work area are like brand new. Not a nick or scratch anywhere (or a mouse trail.....). The outside and legs, etc. have little pits in the paint but not much else.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy, so relieved to hear it LS. I shouldn''t read these threads late at night. I dreamt of very flat mice falling out of the bottom of your machine - yeah honest!

OK, can''t dawdle today, got a mountain of laundry and other jobs.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Gailey:

I would *think* the chance of flat mice would be more likely in a ''non-Ironrite" model...ie: one without a cover...ie: a tabletop unit...like, hmmm, that one in Montana??
31.gif

Sorry couldn''t resist!

NOW GET BACK TO YOUR IRONING GIRLIE!

LS

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 12:17:39 PM

Date: 3/15/2009 11:55:25 PM

Anyone remember that dark blue dye like stuff you used to put in the rinse with white sheets to keep them white looking or was that just a UK thing?
Here''s the link: http://www.oldandinteresting.com/laundry-blue.aspx

LS

ETA: whoa! whole bunch of cool ''old housekeeping'' stuff. FASCINATING.
I remember that "Blue" stuff!! My grandmother used it.
Ya know, I have 2 old iron "irons". Amazing they used those considering how heavy they are and small. Can''t imagine how long it took
to iron just a single dress.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results