shape
carat
color
clarity

DO YOU IRON ''take 2'' - paging Canuck-Gal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Because dear - I don''t IRON.
3.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 3:05:44 PM
Author: Gailey
LS,

I thought electrical goods had to meet certain Canadian standards to be legally imported. DH knows more than me about it, I'll ask him tonight.

I'm guessing you won't have that problem because you are driving down to get it. You must be in the East. Like Sharon, I'm in Calgary, that would be one heck of a drive!

Perhaps you could ask her if she's ever shipped one to Canada.

Please keep me posted about bringing it across the border and how it works etc.

You lucky girl!!
Hey Gailey.

Good questions. Apparently, it's considered a "Collectable" and I'm not buying a "working unit" technically. I have to reassemble a couple of things once i get it home. I believe She ships all the time to Canada but it is quite expensive (they weigh 200+ lbs). Let me e-mail her and find out what she does....

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 3:03:49 PM
Author: LostSapphire
OH I GOT IT BAD...using my new PowerPointSkills (thanks mercoledi!) I made an IronRite Photo Montage!!

(look, they even sold a CHAIR that went with it! called ''The Health Chair''

LS
KEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWELLLLLLLLLLLL!!

I''m drooling - seriously! Don''t listen to all these Philistines who don''t iron - it''s good for the soul. Have I ever mentioned my electric pencil sharpener?? I''m fanatical about having sharp pencils around as well. But I don''t have OCD - honest!

My Mum, bless her, had a rotary iron. I tell you, unless you''ve used one, you''ve no idea what you''re missing!

Please tell me you are going to re-fit your laundry room in retro style to complement it.

OK, gotta go and lie down for a while!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 3:14:16 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 3:05:44 PM
LS,

I thought electrical goods had to meet certain Canadian standards to be legally imported. DH knows more than me about it, I''ll ask him tonight.

I''m guessing you won''t have that problem because you are driving down to get it. You must be in the East. Like Sharon, I''m in Calgary, that would be one heck of a drive!

Perhaps you could ask her if she''s ever shipped one to Canada.

Please keep me posted about bringing it across the border and how it works etc.

You lucky girl!!
Hey Gailey.

Good questions. Apparently, it''s considered a ''Collectable'' and I''m not buying a ''working unit'' technically. I have to reassemble a couple of things once i get it home. I believe She ships all the time to Canada but it is quite expensive (they weigh 200+ lbs). Let me e-mail her and find out what she does....

LS
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH - seriously!!

OK, need a brown paper bag - I''m hyper ventilating now.

I''m going out for a couple of hours, so I''ll check back in a while. Gawd, I''m going to need some of Phoenix''s tea - I''ll never sleep tonight!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 3:16:04 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 3:03:49 PM
OH I GOT IT BAD...using my new PowerPointSkills (thanks mercoledi!) I made an IronRite Photo Montage!!

(look, they even sold a CHAIR that went with it! called 'The Health Chair'

LS
KEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWELLLLLLLLLLLL!!

I'm drooling - seriously! Don't listen to all these Philistines who don't iron - it's good for the soul. Have I ever mentioned my electric pencil sharpener?? I'm fanatical about having sharp pencils around as well. But I don't have OCD - honest!

My Mum, bless her, had a rotary iron. I tell you, unless you've used one, you've no idea what you're missing!

Please tell me you are going to re-fit your laundry room in retro style to complement it.

OK, gotta go and lie down for a while!
Glad to see I'm not the only one! Apparently, there are lots of these in Michigan because that's where they were manufactured. I am just beside myself that after 25+ years I've finally found one. They sell a Miele rotary iron NEW $2500 US$. yikes I don't want one that bad!

But in Europe, they are everywhere. When I lived in Sweden I used to iron ALL of the stuff. They don't use tumble dryers there so everything comes out hard and wrinkled. I'd sit by the HOUR and do towels, sheets, bedding, clothes (even socks and underwear). It all came out beautifully....

I've been saving up iron in a basket for the past week: gonna have an amazing Sunday next weekend!

Will let you know what my lady says about shipping to Canada. The unit itself isn't a lot of $$: refurbed unit + roller pad + roller cover $355.

LS

ETA: I found another 'laundry' buff who just e-mailed me the product AND service manual for the ironrite! woohoo some fun reading for tonight!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Gailey:

If you go onto Craigslist (and you have to be patient to do this) search by US states.

None in Montana, but a few listings come up in Washington and N. Dakota....

they're out there!

LS

ETA: I used the word "ironrite" in my search. Sometimes nothing comes up under mangle....

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Gailey:

If you search on Ebay, try "mangle" instead...a few come up.

Here's one in Malta, Montana.....beats driving to Detroit. Not exactly the same but a tabletop unit is quite desireable.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Thor-Automagic-Gladiron-Mangle-Antique_W0QQitemZ190292708492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190292708492&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

LS

ETA: too bad you're not closer: the lady in Detroit who has my mangler just picked one up from a lady going into a Senior Citizen's home...apparently it's been in this woman's basement since 1952....too bad you're not closer, I'd pick it up for you! (got any family in Ontario?)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 2:36:50 PM
Wow! Just Wow!

I''m fanatical about ironing my bed linen, in fact I was doing just that this moring. The best flat iron I could find in Calgary is a Rowenta. I''d love the Mielè rotary iron, but it''s C$2,000+

I don''t even put my frette sheets on the bed any more because they are such a pain to iron and too dammed expensive to send to the cleaners once a week.

I gotta see if I can get me one of these!!

What a find LS!
HI:

You and I did the same homework--I couldn''t fathom spending those BIG bucks on a press (Lotto??)

BTW, what is a Rowenta??? Does it cook too? heheheheee

cheeers--Sharon

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 6:24:35 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Wow! Just Wow!

I''m fanatical about ironing my bed linen, in fact I was doing just that this moring. The best flat iron I could find in Calgary is a Rowenta. I''d love the Mielè rotary iron, but it''s C$2,000+

I don''t even put my frette sheets on the bed any more because they are such a pain to iron and too dammed expensive to send to the cleaners once a week.

What a find LS!
HI:

You and I did the same homework--I couldn''t fathom spending those BIG bucks on a press (Lotto??)

cheeers--Sharon
Rowenta is another German manufacturer (small appliances, etc...no, the cook doesn''t come with it!)

For $2000K (this is US$$ which is like a gazillion in Canadian), the Miele is beautiful but it is HUGE. You need a special room for it! PFAFF makes one very similar to the Ironrite (the US model made until the late 1950s) but you can''t buy the PFAFF ironers in North America.

I have been spending FAR too much time on laundry/ironing websites...
31.gif

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:25:52 PM
Gailey:

If you search on Ebay, try ''mangle'' instead...a few come up.

Here''s one in Malta, Montana.....beats driving to Detroit. Not exactly the same but a tabletop unit is quite desireable.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Thor-Automagic-Gladiron-Mangle-Antique_W0QQitemZ190292708492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190292708492&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

LS

ETA: too bad you''re not closer: the lady in Detroit who has my mangler just picked one up from a lady going into a Senior Citizen''s home...apparently it''s been in this woman''s basement since 1952....too bad you''re not closer, I''d pick it up for you! (got any family in Ontario?)
LS,

Thanks for taking the time to look for me. I''ve just got in, so I will see what I can come up with.

What happens if you need a part for one of these babies or it breaks down? Is there anyone out there able to service them?

No family in Ontario unfortunately. I will e-mail your seller and ask her about shipping it to me in Calgary. Heck, they move cars from one side of the continent to the other, surely an antique mangle irorn can''t be that difficult.

Please let me know what you think about it''s performance when you get it home.

Now who would have thunk I''d have been envious of a lady with a mangle iron!

Thanks so much!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 6:31:07 PM

Wow! Just Wow!

What a find LS!
HI:

cheeers--Sharon
Rowenta is another German manufacturer (small appliances, etc...no, the cook doesn''t come with it!)

For $2000K (this is US$$ which is like a gazillion in Canadian), the Miele is beautiful but it is HUGE. You need a special room for it! PFAFF makes one very similar to the Ironrite (the US model made until the late 1950s) but you can''t buy the PFAFF ironers in North America.

31.gif

LS
LS & CG

I am completely sold on German appliances. I went without an oven for 5½ years and battled with my DH because I wanted a Gaggenau double wall oven with side opening doors. In the end, I got so fed up one day I just went into the shop and ordered it. At C$8,500 I was a teensy bit nervous about breaking the news to DH, so I flew number one son out on DH''s birthday for a surprise visit! When we got home I broke the news about the oven - and lived to tell the tale!

I also have an AEG washing machine and tumble dryer, and have had Vorwerk vaccum cleaners (3 to be precise) in the last 25 years!

And don''t even get me started on German aquarium stuff!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 8:13:22 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 6:31:07 PM

Wow! Just Wow!

What a find LS!
HI:

cheeers--Sharon

31.gif

LS
LS & CG

I am completely sold on German appliances. I went without an oven for 5½ years and battled with my DH because I wanted a Gaggenau double wall oven with side opening doors. In the end, I got so fed up one day I just went into the shop and ordered it. At C$8,500 I was a teensy bit nervous about breaking the news to DH, so I flew number one son out on DH''s birthday for a surprise visit! When we got home I broke the news about the oven - and lived to tell the tale!

I also have an AEG washing machine and tumble dryer, and have had Vorwerk vaccum cleaners (3 to be precise) in the last 25 years!

And don''t even get me started on German aquarium stuff!!
HI:

And I thought the $35 bucks my DH spent on a coffee mug and cap at the Briar today was crazy!
3.gif

I have German stuff here too--but compared to yours, my Bosch is decidedly lower end....

I''ll bring the puff pastry and we can bake chaussons aux pommes at your place..................

cheers--Sharon

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:05:52 PM

LS,

Thanks for taking the time to look for me. I''ve just got in, so I will see what I can come up with.

What happens if you need a part for one of these babies or it breaks down? Is there anyone out there able to service them?

No family in Ontario unfortunately. I will e-mail your seller and ask her about shipping it to me in Calgary. Heck, they move cars from one side of the continent to the other, surely an antique mangle irorn can''t be that difficult.

Thanks so much!
Gailey:

I have found and downloaded the owner and service manuals. They are apparently fairly simple to repair, if and when that''s needed. Worst case the seller I purchased from repairs them, so it could go back to her.

It is actually harder to get parts than to repair them. But parts are easy to get around here because of our proximity to Michigan. Lots of them down there, from what I see.

I imagine it would be a coupld hundred $$ to ship it to you. Depends on how you feel about that. Me, I kind of like being close to the seller so I can take it back if I have a problem with it. And when it''s a used item, you''re taking a risk. I feel ok about mine because we''re driving down to pick it up. If it doesn''t look like a good one, I can walk away.

Might be worth while to look at that one in Montana I found on ebay...the Gladiron I think it was. Those are actually quite nice, and fold up. They weigh about 50lbs so I''d imagine it would be easy to ship THAT one...just a thought.

LS

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, we actually had a mangle growing up. It kind of terrified me because of how hot it got and how you had to position things so close to the hot part to get them in right. I looked similar to your pic, but I think it was bigger. We used it on linens mostily. I don''t recall doing sheets on it. I would also do other items that weren''t too fussy because if you put it in wrong it came out wrinkled in a way that couldn''t be fixed. Good luck! I love seeing vintage household gadgets.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:57:12 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 8:05:52 PM

LS,

Thanks so much!
Gailey:

I have found and downloaded the owner and service manuals. They are apparently fairly simple to repair, if and when that''s needed. Worst case the seller I purchased from repairs them, so it could go back to her.

It is actually harder to get parts than to repair them. But parts are easy to get around here because of our proximity to Michigan. Lots of them down there, from what I see.

I imagine it would be a coupld hundred $$ to ship it to you. Depends on how you feel about that. Me, I kind of like being close to the seller so I can take it back if I have a problem with it. And when it''s a used item, you''re taking a risk. I feel ok about mine because we''re driving down to pick it up. If it doesn''t look like a good one, I can walk away.

Might be worth while to look at that one in Montana I found on ebay...the Gladiron I think it was. Those are actually quite nice, and fold up. They weigh about 50lbs so I''d imagine it would be easy to ship THAT one...just a thought.

LS
LS,

I just wanted to touch base. I know you are up late sometimes, so maybe you will see this tonight. I''ve had a kind of a busy day with the thread I started this morning and it sort of ran away with me.

I am going to follow up on the table top iron tomorrow, but if you would kindly still ask about shipping the other one that your supplier has just picked up I would be grateful.

It''s funny, I lay in bed last night thinkiing about the strange and diverse things in life that really get me animated! Antique mangle irons to properly polished leather shoes and the correct way to cut and maintain the edge of a lawn and everything in between. Life''s funny thing eh?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 12:01:23 AM

LS,

I just wanted to touch base. I know you are up late sometimes, so maybe you will see this tonight. I've had a kind of a busy day with the thread I started this morning and it sort of ran away with me.

I am going to follow up on the table top iron tomorrow, but if you would kindly still ask about shipping the other one that your supplier has just picked up I would be grateful.

It's funny, I lay in bed last night thinkiing about the strange and diverse things in life that really get me animated! Antique mangle irons to properly polished leather shoes and the correct way to cut and maintain the edge of a lawn and everything in between. Life's funny thing eh?
Hi Gailey

You're like me...I have a woman who works with me who was brought up in Wales. I told her I was getting a mangle and she went NUTS! We spent the whole day talking about growing up at her Gramma's cottage ironing tea towels as a little girl....

I thought of you yesterday: was surfing "18th century laundry customs" (WHAT??) and saw a museum website. They had this little cast iron mangle replica about 6" high: IT WAS PENCIL SHARPENER! Wasn't that one of your other "OCD Tendencies"??
9.gif

I've just e-mailed my ironrite lady and asked her if she would consider shipping to Alberta...I doubt it though, she seemed hesitant when I first brought up the subject. But that one in Montana is totally shippable because it's foldable. I've used one of those and they are great for flatwork.

Will keep you posted. I can hardly wait to get mine!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe I''m doing this: found the pic of the mangle pencil sharpener. Apparently, they are collectors items.

Who''d a thunk?

Here you go!
LS

p.s saw your story - wonderful! make sure you print it out and keep it

mangle.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH, I''ve just been contributing to the sleep thread, I''ll never get my eyes to stay shut now!!

Thanks LS, you''ve made my day, now where do I find the real thing?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Gailey:

My IronRite lady (her name is JoAnn) will ship to Calgary. She''s just gotten an estimate based on size/weight of the box, and it would run about $300 US$ YIKES.

However, if this is what your heart desires, you can contact her. I won''t post her e-mail on this forum but here is a link to her Ebay listing. There is a "contact seller'' button on the top right hand corner. If you use that, it goes through a private server and she''ll get your message and respond back to you. (you will need to be"registered" as an ebay user to use this link. If you''re not, just click it and a registration page comes up. They take basic e-mail info and you''re all set. It doesn''t commit you to buying or selling anything, just gives you like a "user ID" for their site).

She''s really nice and helpful. But isn''t expecting you to fork out that kind of $$..unless you have OCD like me, of course.
2.gif
She has been an Ebay seller for over 10 years and has 100% positive feedback.

Here''s the Ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-COTTON-MUSLIN-ROLLER-COVER-FITS-IRONRITE-MANGLE_W0QQitemZ120388278033QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120388278033&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Let me know what you think!

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Good morning LS

I fired off a question to the e-bay seller in Montanna about shipping the table top model to me in Calgary. You had mentioned importing it as a "Collectible" and that you would have to make some modifications once you got your model home. Can you expand on this a bit for me so I can understand what I might need to do.

Thanks

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Gailey:

Good luck with that. I noticed the Montana seller wasn''t willing to ship, wanted pick up only. But they are often agreeable to other arrangements.

For my ironrite, part of the base is disassembled, and all of the oil is drained from the motor. We are declaring it as a ''collectible'', and my receipt says "sold as is". ie: a non-functioning unit. Which is technically true.....

She supplies me with oil for the motor (they have to be drained whenever they get shipped or even tipped over so it''s no big deal).

Let me know how it goes! I used the Gladiron unit in Sweden: for flatwork it is beautiful. And not so heavy as the Ironrite.

LS

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had the BEST time watching that old commercial! I laughed so hard.
emthup.gif
I don't like to iron either!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 5:04:18 PM
Author: Skippy123
I had the BEST time watching that old commercial! I laughed so hard.
emthup.gif
I don''t like to iron either!
Yeah, me too. I couldn''t believe the sexist roles described there...like, he sleeps better because SHE"s ironed the sheets?

or..."look, Mary has gotten dressed up for an evening out, but she can still ''get in'' a little ironing without messing up her manicure or coiffure"

unbelieveable...but then, here I am buying one of these things. I aspire to be Mary...
31.gif

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK, bad news - where''s the sobby smilie?

I got a message back from Montana, he won''t ship.

Bacl to the drawing board.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 8:42:08 PM

HI:

You mean ironing board......
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 8:51:30 PM

HI:

9.gif

cheers--Sharon
Now that''s good!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 9:04:59 PM

HI:

9.gif

cheers--Sharon
Now that''s good!
emcry.gif

I was going to suggest you just get in the car and go pick it up...but it''s a 7.5 hour drive according to Mapquest....
Go on Craigslist and check out the northern US states. Gotta be one somewhere. Search under "Mangle" and "ironrite". They''re out there.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 9:29:12 PM

Date: 3/12/2009 9:04:59 PM

HI:

9.gif

cheers--Sharon
Now that''s good!
emcry.gif

I was going to suggest you just get in the car and go pick it up...but it''s a 7.5 hour drive according to Mapquest....
Go on Craigslist and check out the northern US states. Gotta be one somewhere. Search under ''Mangle'' and ''ironrite''. They''re out there.

LS
Thanks LS, I did briefly think about that, and sort of imagined how the conversation would go with Mr. Gailey:

"Darling, how do you fancy a 15 hour round trip to buy a 1950''s table top mangle iron?"

His likely response would be:

"You''ve got two hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope"!

He''s on his way home from work, tell you what I''ll run it by him and let you know what he says!

Seriously though LS, I do appreciate you taking the time to look for me.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 9:34:30 PM

Date: 3/12/2009 9:29:12 PM

emcry.gif

Go on Craigslist and check out the northern US states. Gotta be one somewhere. Search under ''Mangle'' and ''ironrite''. They''re out there.

LS
Thanks LS, I did briefly think about that, and sort of imagined how the conversation would go with Mr. Gailey:

''Darling, how do you fancy a 15 hour round trip to buy a 1950''s table top mangle iron?''

His likely response would be:

''You''ve got two hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope''!

He''s on his way home from work, tell you what I''ll run it by him and let you know what he says!

Seriously though LS, I do appreciate you taking the time to look for me.
I laughed, then realized WE were driving 4 hours each way to get mine!! SICK SICK SICK I need an intervention!

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results