shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperately Seeking Spinel!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 4:32:53 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Yay for being eye twins!!!!That''s so cool!!

I think I''m getting away from wanting a lavender stone...blue is both BF''s and my favorite color and it makes sense to get something blue. But you know this already (lucky stiff, with you and your big blue sapphire!).

I''m keeping my fingers crossed that Dan (or anyone else that''s *kind of* looking) finds something amazing. Or that John cuts an amazing spinel.

(If we had $$$ I''d probably want to get that big blue round and have Dan recut it smaller, but that would take more $$$ than we have saved for it, so no go on that one...)

YAY!

Jeff White had a really nice lighter blue sapphire oval a while back. It was too light for me but perhaps in your range....I think it was around 7mm x 9mm.

Here are a couple of pics:

LS

bluesapph1.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
oops. no pic. I got interruped.

sorry, the darn thing won't upload. I'll leave it at that: the 2nd pic was similar to the 1st

LS

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Kind of jumping in late, but what a fun and exciting project, in so many ways!!!! I will keep a lookout for you, but looks like you have tons of help
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LS, do you remember what he was asking for it? It''s a gorgeous color, but I''m trying to stay away from sapphires because of price issues.

Thanks Ltl! Please feel free to keep an eye out! There is no such thing as too many people on the lookout!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 8:14:19 PM
LS, do you remember what he was asking for it? It's a gorgeous color, but I'm trying to stay away from sapphires because of price issues.

Thanks Ltl! Please feel free to keep an eye out! There is no such thing as too many people on the lookout!

Hey Freke

I hesitate to speak for JW but I can say that it was slightly over $2k (which included his recutting fee). And, I dont know if he still has it or not...

Here is his description of it (he was referring to my query regarding the recutting. So this is a native cut that he was going to recut for me). (this e-mail was from May 25, 2008). He said the recut would result in something a tiny bit smaller than a 7x9mm...more like a 6x8mm.

The stone is a beauty, with evenly-spread coloration. It is a bit lighter than I was expecting though, so I'll let you decide for yourself if it is what you're looking for. Since it is a native-cut gem, you'll have a good idea of what the final color will be after recutting, based on the photograph...

This is a beautiful, bright sapphire, but the important thing is that YOU think it's the right one for you.

Snapped a couple more pics today for you ...taken under an overcast afternoon sky.

I'll have a look and see if I have any other pics of it.

We discussed where on the blue spectrum it fell. Go to here: http://crossjewelers.com/sapphire/HowToBuyAsapphire.htm

He said it fell between "Sweden Princess Blue" and "Prince of Wales Blue".

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OK I found the other 2 pics of the stone. These were taken outdoors under a slightly overcast day.

LS

Pic #1 of 2 NB: the stone was not yet recut in this pic.

Foo68.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Pic 2 of 2 NB: the stone was not yet recut in this pic.

LS

Foo69.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well...it's completely out of our budget, so that's not going to work, but thank you for the info.

...poo....sigh....

In other news I heard from another cutter, and while he doesn't have any rough, he's going to check out his dealers and see what they have. We'll see....

ETA: poo times 2. That's so gorgeous...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear that....that''s the final *word* from both of you?
2.gif

It is a gorgeous colour.

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. He''s got under 1k saved and I''d rather use any more potential savings for other stuff...like the wedding. Plus, I have zero earning potential while I''m in school.

Besides, I love spinel because it''s unusual, and it certainly helps that it''s cheaper as well.

Even as it is, with my estimates, I''m probably going to go over budget.

Regardless, he''s already paved the way to buy me a new ring or two later in life when we can more easily afford it. He said, "No upgrades, but you can always get more rings." I don''t think he quite understands what an upgrade is...Heh. And nobody better inform him either!!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Well then....the search continues!
9.gif

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
...don''t remind me....

28.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 9:04:20 PM
...don't remind me....

28.gif

C'MON LET'S ENJOY THE PROCESS!
3.gif

You helped me a LOT when I was agonizing and second-guessing and doubting and getting impatient.....in fact, let me find your quote....

..hang on, I think I found it: I was agonizing for almost a month over the round versus the oval. Here's what you said: (this was from page 1 of my "Gemscoop is Posted" thread:

Ok. Well don't jump on anything just because other people might grab it. Think about it for a bit first.

It's out there waiting for you Freke: we just haven't found it yet....

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know...thank you for reminding me of that, LS. I was right then, and you''re right now.

So...seen any big, badly cut, blue spinels anywhere? (I''m going to hit up multicolor and ajs after dinner...)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 9:13:45 PM
I know...thank you for reminding me of that, LS. I was right then, and you''re right now.

So...seen any big, badly cut, blue spinels anywhere? (I''m going to hit up multicolor and ajs after dinner...)
Did you e-mail JW about a Spinel?

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. He said he has a piece of rough that would make a 4+ct color changer, and a piece of lavender that would be better suited to a trillion....Think I should approach him again? I''m kind of afraid that anything he does is out of our price range anyway, so I don''t really want to bug him...

What do you think?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 9:35:36 PM
Yeah. He said he has a piece of rough that would make a 4+ct color changer, and a piece of lavender that would be better suited to a trillion....Think I should approach him again? I''m kind of afraid that anything he does is out of our price range anyway, so I don''t really want to bug him...

What do you think?
I believe you would be pleasantly surprised.

His pricing on sapphires is a bit higher than some because he''s really picky....anything I''ve seen on the Gemscoop website concerning spinels look pretty reasonable. His cutting fee is very reasonable as well.

Tell him what your budget is and see what he thinks would be workable in your situation. He is a very easy-going guy, who is quite ''up front'' about $$ and budgets, etc.

I would LOVE to see you with a colour your adore in a phenomenally cut rock!

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing that means that you think I should email him again then?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 9:13:45 PM

What about this guy?

historychick

Shiny_Rock
hey freke,
I''m sorry I don''t really have any info that might help you but I am super excited that you are finally able to officially look for "the stone"
congrats you you! I know that spending so much time looking may be driving you crazy but it is still a once in a life time moment in your life and when it''s over you just might miss the tension and excitement just a little bit so enjoy every minute of it!
Hoooray for being almost engaged!
36.gif

btw, I have loved that Kirkwana saphire curls wedding band for a while now I think that it will look brilliant with your set

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooo EBree!!!That does look promising...I like the color a lot...

Thanks historychick. I do need to keep everything in perspective. And cherish this time...

So apparently I had forgotten about multicolor...I like the colors of these:

Slightly greenish and darker, but BF doesn''t like it much and it''s expensive...

Pretty cheap, not very big though, and pretty gray...

Probably my favorite, but worried about the darkness and if it could be recut into anything...

I like this color, but it''s really too small to recut

Cheap, dark, but pretty small...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 10:32:12 PM
Author: EBree
Here are a couple more that might work (for re-cutting). I don''t know if they''re too dark or not, but they''re worth a look-see:

2.22 ct. VVS-VS Spinel

1.78 ct VVS Spinel
Those are really pretty too!!! Keep these coming EBree!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey LS, do you happen to have the address for Jeff White''s custom cutting price PDF? I had it the other day, and I can''t freaking find it on his site anymore...

...I''m thinking recut...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 1:54:27 AM
Hey LS, do you happen to have the address for Jeff White''s custom cutting price PDF? I had it the other day, and I can''t freaking find it on his site anymore...

...I''m thinking recut...
Here you go! (it''s under his FAQ section):

http://www.whitesgems.com/Gem%20Cutting%20Rates.pdf

LS

p.s. I think you''re on the right track now!
2.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Good luck in your search. I''m sure you''ll find a great one. If I see anything I''ll post a link.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yay for engagement spinels!

I love the blue-grey color, I can''t wait to see what you end up with!

Happy Hunting!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LS WTH?! I could have sworn that I searched ALL OVER the FAQ!!!What the heck is up with that?! I was starting to think I''d made it up! Anyway, thank you. Do you think that also goes for recuts?

Thanks innerkitten and mercoledi!!It''s been interesting so far, if nothing else!!! And any extra eyes are very very welcome!!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 1:01:06 PM
LS WTH?! I could have sworn that I searched ALL OVER the FAQ!!!What the heck is up with that?! I was starting to think I''d made it up! Anyway, thank you. Do you think that also goes for recuts?

Thanks innerkitten and mercoledi!!It''s been interesting so far, if nothing else!!! And any extra eyes are very very welcome!!!
Hey Freke.

It''s kind of buried in one of the FAQ''s. YOu have to open up question (I think it''s #2 or 3) then the link is inside the answer.

Maybe he''s doing that on purpose?
3.gif

I don''t know about the cost of recuts, but would imagine you can use his pricing structure as a rough guidepost.

So E-MAIL HIM D*MM*T!!!
9.gif

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results