shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperately Seeking Spinel!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Freke, you and I have the same taste in spinels. If you don't get that .82 from Dan, I just might.
30.gif
18.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 12:05:46 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Plain ol'' comfort fit white gold solitaire. No special designer/artists or anything.

Where do you plan to get it from?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I should say that I''m not actually considering the spinel, though I''d LOVE to. Didn''t want you to feel rushed into anything just in case mean ol'' me was trying to scoop it out from under you. I wouldn''t do that.
3.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Some possibilities:

http://www.gemcal.com/item--Silver-lavender-Spinel-1-90-cts-1631-649--1631_649.html
http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?1996366762 <-- a whole slew!
http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?-1442175524
http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=50

Some may not fall within your parameters but I figured I would post them anyway just so you could take a peek.

AND CONGRAGULATIONS!!!
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 12:36:01 AM
Author: EBree
Freke, you and I have the same taste in spinels. If you don''t get that .82 from Dan, I just might.
30.gif
18.gif
You''d better email him about it quick! Apparently some guy has been wanting a blue spinel for a while, so he''s got first pick, and I think I''m second in line. But he''s cutting some rough tomorrow that he described to me, so I''m going to see how that turns out.

But seriously EBree! Email him ASAP and get in line!!

And MonkeyPie I''m going to send BF to J. Edwards for the setting. I''ve checked out a lot of local jewelers and they were the only ones who gave me the time of day. Are you looking for anything in particular? And what''s going on with your JW asscher? He''s cutting one for you soon right?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh MonkeyPie! Those stones are beautiful! I kept poking around on Gemrite and I found this little guy: YOWZA! Even though it's a fat oval instead of a skinny one.

I showed it to BF and he said, "I don't trust pictures." Hmmm... I'm going to do some more research on that site. Has anyone use it before?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 1:06:11 AM
Oh my gosh MonkeyPie! Those stones are beautiful! I kept poking around on Gemrite and I found this little guy: YOWZA! Even though it's a fat oval instead of a skinny one.

I love that one! What a beautiful blue. I hope it's as beautiful in person.

As for the spinel, I'm actually in the market (though not just yet) for a ~1 ct oval sapphire. It'd be an anniversary ring, as husband and I wed in September. I didn't even know about Dan Stair until now, though, so it'll be fun keeping an eye out for a little something for myself!
2.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 12:56:38 AM

And MonkeyPie I''m going to send BF to J. Edwards for the setting. I''ve checked out a lot of local jewelers and they were the only ones who gave me the time of day. Are you looking for anything in particular? And what''s going on with your JW asscher? He''s cutting one for you soon right?

Hm I may have to swing by J Edwards. I want a basic solitaire too, but I want claw prongs, which may limit me a bit...or maybe even double-prongs like this. I think that would really be cute with an asscher.

Eee I can''t wait for Monday! He should have my asscher completed by then :)

Zales (ack, I know) is having a resetting show in mid-September, so if I don''t find anything by then I may order a custom piece through them since I have an account there. But I really want something sooner than that.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
EBree! How did you not know about Dan Stair until now? I was up really late last night and sending out emails to way too many cutters. I found out that the owner of GemRite is an American cutter-John B. I think his stones are pretty cool. Anyway, he sent me pictures of both the violet spinel that MonkeyPie posted for me, and the blue one I found. I''ll post them both. I don''t think either of them are a go for what I''m looking for. The blue is too dark-although a stunning color, and the violet is too light.

MonkeyPie I''d stop by. Ask for Tony. He was really nice to me-this was after I went to Shelton, so maybe anyone would have been really nice (they were SO RUDE at Shelton! Not to mention wanting to charge $500 for a $100 Stuller setting!) but Tony gave me a reasonable estimate on a setting for my topaz. I was going to stop by Beauchamp (?) too, but their new store wasn''t open yet. If you''re going to the Zales in Coronado I''d swing by both being that they are within a block of the mall. (Beauchamp is half a block or so east of that Chili''s that''s right by J. Edwards on Menaul.)

I can''t wait for Monday either! I want to see that pink asscher! So you''re doing a ring? I''m so excited for you!

Here''s the pic from John B. of GemRite. I like his cutting style a lot, so I''m going to keep checking out his website when I''m looking for something. But I don''t think that either of these stones are exactly what I''m looking for. Original page for Violet spinel. And for the Blue.

spinels by John B.jpg

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if this is the color you''re looking for:
http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/9557

$480
GRADING REPORT LBS128
- Identification: Blue Spinel
- Carat: 1.28
- Shape: Oval
- Measures: 6.23x7.93x3.91 (millimeter)
- Color Grade: Good
- Tone: M60
- Color Zoning: None
- Clarity: Free of Inclusions
- Cutting Grade: Very Good
o Brilliancy: 60%
o Depth: 63%
- Origin: Mandalay, Burma
- Treatment: None

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to keep that one in mind misspinky. I like the color, its in budget, its the size and shape I want, and it''s a pretty cool looking stone. Thank you for finding it. I''m still looking into some other avenues, and waiting on some other vendors, so we''ll see what comes up.

I''m so feeling LS''s pain right now. Then again, I''ve only been really looking for a couple of days...But still...

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
I found a few more, but I''m guessing that they''re from a vendor that is banned from the forum because it won''t let me post the link...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Darn it. Are they blue? Blue gray? Purple-y blue? Purple-y blue gray? And any other color combination?

Lol. I sound like a nincompoop.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Purple one

purplegem1.jpg

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Blue gem

bluegme1.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 8:31:06 PM
Hi guys! Thanks for your help so far.

BF has given me permission to harass anyone and everyone for.......an ering stone.

So that''s what we''re looking for. I have actually emailed Jeff White and Dan Stair already (basically the same time I posted late last night), and I already heard back from Dan, who doesn''t have any rough that fits the description. I haven''t heard back from Jeff yet, I hope I hear back from him tonight. I haven''t even begun to pour over the websites because BF took the day off work to hang out with me, so we''ve been gone all day. I''m considering emailing Barbara Smigel to see if she or any of her suppliers have anything like that.

I totally agree LTP, that Wildfish''s site is really hard to navigate, and kind of a PITA.

If you guys see anything cool out there, please please let me know!

I love what you guys have posted so far, but nothing has made my heart pitter patter yet. But I really appreciate you looking.

Thanks again!

Now I''m going to go pour over every website I can think of.

Freke, OMG, how freaking exciting!!!!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 4:49:49 PM
Author: misspinky
Purple one

Well that''s just cool. Dang, I wish I knew which website it was lol. Copy and paste the info about the stone from the site please? I wanna see.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Great finds, Ms Pinky! They're both gorgeous!

I wish I knew which website they were from too, so I could check out their sapphire collection.
31.gif

ETA: Nevermind! Found it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
heeeeeee misspinky, I was immediately thinking of these two beauties as well! Good taste
9.gif
I just recently bought an amazing tsav from he who must not be named. He is a phenomenal cutter, and um.. I hope Freke has figured out where those came from, b/c he has access to great rough too!

eta- duhhhhh and CONGRATS Freke!! This is going to be one rocking ering. So excited for you
36.gif

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 6:22:31 PM
Author: icekid
I hope Freke has figured out where those came from, b/c he has access to great rough too!

I have no doubt that our Freke is an *excellent* google sleuth and has just put in the info I listed and hit search...
9.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 6:39:23 PM
Author: misspinky

I have no doubt that our Freke is an *excellent* google sleuth and has just put in the info I listed and hit search...
9.gif

Hehehehe that''s why I asked you to paste it ;-)

Soooo pretty. He has the coolest stuff. I can''t wait to see what Freke picks out!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am an excellent google sleuth.
28.gif

It's been kind of a rough day for me. I'm frustrated from not finding anything, my jaw hurts, and it's rainy. So now I'm back to make things happy again! Hopefully I can find something amazing and perfect.

Right now I'm browsing the site that must not be named, and I'm liking the blue one. If the lavender one was round...and if BF liked it...yeah.

And I'm waiting on pins and needles to see what Dan is coming up with for me...Hopefully, soon...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Be patient, Freke. Two days is not a long time to spend looking for THE ROCK
3.gif
Between all of the stellar cutters we know, one of them is bound to have something perfect for you.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hee hee hee, I know icekid. I''m just excited-even though I likely have over 6 months to wait before I actually get to wear it.

Mostly I''m excited about the stone Dan is cutting right now...Its the most random thing ever, but I''m hoping for something great!

And in the meantime, I''m browsing every site I can find.
9.gif

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 11:00:06 PM
Mostly I''m excited about the stone Dan is cutting right now...Its the most random thing ever, but I''m hoping for something great!

I saw that on Dan''s website under "now cutting" and am interested to see if it would work for you....hopefully it turns out to be spectacular and exactly what you want.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol, well unless it comes out spectacularly, it's not an ering stone. I've been looking for a gray gemstone since I joined PS...And he thought that rough was pretty interesting, so we shall see how it turns out. He said it will end up being a cushion...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 11:00:06 PM
Hee hee hee, I know icekid. I''m just excited-even though I likely have over 6 months to wait before I actually get to wear it.

And in the meantime, I''m browsing every site I can find.
9.gif
Freke: is this posted on Dan''s website anywhere? I''d love to see it.

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
YUP!!!!And it's MINE. Well as soon as he emails me back...It's the Newest Stone.

I was going to write the info myself, but I'll just copy and paste what he said about it in the email:

It weighs 1.07 carats and measures 5.94 x 6.56mm. The stone seems to go from being a gray-purple to a gray-blue depending on the light source. It was mostly purple under incandescent light, and then when I went outside, it turned a grayish medium blue. It also appears to be very clean as I didn't see anything in it using my loupe while cutting it.

I'm pumped!!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Freke-

It's GORGEOUS! Congrats! What will it be used for? It's close to the color you wanted for your e-ring stone, no?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 12:41:51 AM
YUP!!!!And it''s MINE. Well as soon as he emails me back...It''s the Newest Stone.

I was going to write the info myself, but I''ll just copy and paste what he said about it in the email:

It weighs 1.07 carats and measures 5.94 x 6.56mm. The stone seems to go from being a gray-purple to a gray-blue depending on the light source. It was mostly purple under incandescent light, and then when I went outside, it turned a grayish medium blue. It also appears to be very clean as I didn''t see anything in it using my loupe while cutting it.

I''m pumped!!!!

WICKED KEWL!!! How exciting for you!

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results