shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperately Seeking Spinel!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so. Why?

I just showed BF the big round, he asked how much it would cost...which would be over budget...

UGH.

But he didn''t dislike it...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 6:54:54 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Go back and delete it, so you don''t have to worry about it. I got it. We''re good.

How did you find him?

Ack it won''t let me edit it. Weird. Oh well.

And I found him surfing flick-r for gemstones. I dropped him a line asking if he cut requests, he said yes, and we have been emailing since. He''s a total sweetheart.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool, well I look forward to hearing from him. And everyone else I''ve been emailing.

I''m thinking that the big round blue one is not going to happen. It''s just too expensive, and combined with the setting...

I''m getting more and more discouraged...I know that perfect stone is out there, but I thought it would be easier to find...

LS---HOW ON EARTH DID YOU COPE?!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:46:23 PM
Cool, well I look forward to hearing from him. And everyone else I''ve been emailing.

I''m thinking that the big round blue one is not going to happen. It''s just too expensive, and combined with the setting...

I''m getting more and more discouraged...I know that perfect stone is out there, but I thought it would be easier to find...

LS---HOW ON EARTH DID YOU COPE?!
Ice Cream.

That, and KNOWING that I would have one shot at getting this right. I''m not a "gem collector". I''m not a huge jewellry collector either, have only had a very few very nice pieces in my lifetime. And so I knew that there would only be one sapphire in my future.

But as a society we are so used to the "quick fix". And now with internet shopping, geez, it''s almost instant gratification.

So the search was really hard. You lurk and look and call in stones. Only to be disappointed and believe that "the one" isn''t out there.

I finally calmed myself down by saying that there were LOTS of sapphires in the world. And if Jeff couldn''t find it right away, it was perhaps still in the ground waiting for me...The other thing that helped was thinking that in the long run, 3-6 or 9 months was a short period of time. And that 20 years from now I wanted to look at my ring and KNOW I got *the one*.

Once I relaxed and stopped putting a deadline on the stone, everything fell into place.

Please don''t get discouraged. Think of it as a ''treasure hunt''. Imagine it down in the ground, all warm and undisturbed until the time comes for it to come to life for YOU.

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''d better not take 9 months! GAH!! I''ll make him propose with a dang RingPop.

I know that it''s out there. I''m just not too keen on waiting. I have patience in spades sometimes, but sometimes....not so much. So I''m conflicted.

OOOOOooooo!!!!One of the many vendors I have been bugging just got back to me and sent a pic of some of his rough...
John B from GemRite

Tell me what you think! The left is really what I''m looking at. He said that it''s a light blue, and that it will darken slightly when cut. The right is just too purple-y.

Spinel rough freke.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:06:28 PM
It''d better not take 9 months! GAH!! I''ll make him propose with a dang RingPop.

I know that it''s out there. I''m just not too keen on waiting. I have patience in spades sometimes, but sometimes....not so much. So I''m conflicted.

OOOOOooooo!!!!One of the many vendors I have been bugging just got back to me and sent a pic of some of his rough...
John B from GemRite

Tell me what you think! The left is really what I''m looking at. He said that it''s a light blue, and that it will darken slightly when cut. The right is just too purple-y.
And that TOO would be just fine!

You''ll find it....it''s out there just waiting for you.
face9.gif

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So no opinion on that there rough LS?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:15:00 PM
So no opinion on that there rough LS?

Oh Gosh....I don't think I'm the right person to ask that question!

I can never tell how the stone would turn out based on the rough: I need someone to interpret that for me....like a sculptor looks at a chunk of marble and *knows* what's inside.

That being said, they are each very different colour-wise. I know you've been looking for lavender-greyish-blue....do you think the one on the left side would give you what you want? What if you printed it out in high res on photo paper and put it on the back of your hand?

Maybe try to visualize the stone on the back of your hand? What's your skin colouration? Could you pull off the lavender/greyish one, or would it look washed out on your skintone? What if you printed it out in high res on photo paper and put it on the back of your hand?

This probably isn't much help..I can only relate based on what I did to try and figure out how light/dark.....Jeff used to laugh at me because I'd have him take pics of the stones on the back of his WIFE'S hand....she probably thought I was a nutcase.

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:19:22 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Oh Gosh....I don''t think I''m the right person to ask that question!

I can never tell how the stone would turn out based on the rough: I need someone to interpret that for me....like a sculptor looks at a chunk of marble and *knows* what''s inside.

That being said, they are each very different colour-wise. I know you''ve been looking for lavender-greyish-blue....do you think the one on the left side would give you what you want? What if you printed it out in high res on photo paper and put it on the back of your hand?

Maybe try to visualize the stone on the back of your hand? What''s your skin colouration? Could you pull off the lavender/greyish one, or would it look washed out on your skintone? What if you printed it out in high res on photo paper and put it on the back of your hand?

This probably isn''t much help..I can only relate based on what I did to try and figure out how light/dark.....Jeff used to laugh at me because I''d have him take pics of the stones on the back of his WIFE''S hand....she probably thought I was a nutcase.
LS
I bet she gets it all of the time! And WHO wouldn''t want to run around with all kinds of stunning gems on their hands?

I''m not sure what to think about the color of it--I put it in photoshop and used the eyedropping tool, and most of the colors I pulled off of it were a lavender/gray combo...So I''m not sure. I just got an email from him, I''ll ust copy and paste it:

"I can cut it into a round 7.5-7.25 mm ahould be about 1.5-1.7 cts.
finished or possibly an oval 8x6mm 1.3-1.4 cts. If I cut it in an oval, I
would do a barion oval to help increase the color to darken it up a hair.
I feel this may be the color you are looking for, not as much violet, and
a lighter saturation as well."

Sounds pretty good right? Now I''m conflicted....

But I showed the rough to BF, and he said it looks cool just as it is...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:32:15 PM

Date: 8/17/2008 8:19:22 PM
Oh Gosh....I don''t think I''m the right person to ask that question!

I can never tell how the stone would turn out based on the rough: I need someone to interpret that for me....like a sculptor looks at a chunk of marble and *knows* what''s inside.

That being said, they are each very different colour-wise. I know you''ve been looking for lavender-greyish-blue....do you think the one on the left side would give you what you want? What if you printed it out in high res on photo paper and put it on the back of your hand?

Maybe try to visualize the stone on the back of your hand? What''s your skin colouration? Could you pull off the lavender/greyish one, or would it look washed out on your skintone? What if you printed it out in high res on photo paper and put it on the back of your hand?

This probably isn''t much help..I can only relate based on what I did to try and figure out how light/dark.....Jeff used to laugh at me because I''d have him take pics of the stones on the back of his WIFE''S hand....she probably thought I was a nutcase.
LS
I bet she gets it all of the time! And WHO wouldn''t want to run around with all kinds of stunning gems on their hands?

I''m not sure what to think about the color of it--I put it in photoshop and used the eyedropping tool, and most of the colors I pulled off of it were a lavender/gray combo...So I''m not sure. I just got an email from him, I''ll ust copy and paste it:

''I can cut it into a round 7.5-7.25 mm ahould be about 1.5-1.7 cts.
finished or possibly an oval 8x6mm 1.3-1.4 cts. If I cut it in an oval, I
would do a barion oval to help increase the color to darken it up a hair.
I feel this may be the color you are looking for, not as much violet, and
a lighter saturation as well.''

Sounds pretty good right? Now I''m conflicted....

But I showed the rough to BF, and he said it looks cool just as it is...
Are you still thinking of a clean-line, solitaire setting? How would you feel about an oval?

If he cuts it and you don''t like it, are you on the hook for the $$? Or does he put it back into his available product line with no penalty to you?

LS

E B

Ideal_Rock
I can't help either on the rough except to say I'd trust John- it sounds like it could be beautiful! If you say "GO," do you still have to buy it if the stone turns out too light/grey?

ETA: Oops! I didn't even see LS's reply! Sorry for the double post.
12.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:34:32 PM
Are you still thinking of a clean-line, solitaire setting? How would you feel about an oval?

If he cuts it and you don't like it, are you on the hook for the $$? Or does he put it back into his available product line with no penalty to you?

LS
I've actually been wanting the oval-that is my first choice, but my second choice would be a round. I do still want to do the clean-line solitaire setting.

I'm attaching a pic of the wedding band, which is one of the reasons I want a round or oval and why a cushion won't work. (Color of the sapphire in the band depends on the color of the spinel...) And that is the second wedding band--the blingier one. The other will just be a plain band--which is why I don't want a huge stone.

He said that if he cuts it, and I don't like it, it'll just go into his stock and back up for sale to someone else.

Thoughts?

ETA: You guys are keeping me jumping! I think my post to LS answers your question EBree? What do you think of the color of it spinel-taste-twin?

R-CurlsBandSapph krikawa.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
go for it

I''m just not sure about the oval - how would it sit adjacent to the WB? Is the oval set east-west?

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:45:46 PM
go for it

I''m just not sure about the oval - how would it sit adjacent to the WB? Is the oval set east-west?

LS
I wrote him asking how he would cut the stone if he just picked it up and decided to cut it, so we''ll see what he says. The oval would be north-south. I''d want BF to get it higher set so that the band could sit flush. Which is another reason that I''d want a smaller stone. With the big honker blue stone, I''d have to think big time about that plan, because it would seriously stick up and P me off.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:50:16 PM

Date: 8/17/2008 8:45:46 PM
go for it

LS
I wrote him asking how he would cut the stone if he just picked it up and decided to cut it, so we''ll see what he says. The oval would be north-south. I''d want BF to get it higher set so that the band could sit flush. Which is another reason that I''d want a smaller stone. With the big honker blue stone, I''d have to think big time about that plan, because it would seriously stick up and P me off.
So help me to visualize this: if the WB has the smaller centre round stone like you''ve posted above, how would the oval or round of the ER fit in with that?

Sorry my brain''s not processing properly or something...

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going out in a minute...I will draw it or work it out on photoshop when I get home?

basically it''d have the ering on top
plain wedding band in the middle
kirkawa band on the bottom

I worked it out on paper once with the measurements all there, and it looked pretty good. The band needs to be 2-2.5mm, wedding band the same, and then the krikawa is about 2.5 as well. And the ering and plain wring are comfort fit too.

Does that help at all?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:58:11 PM
I am going out in a minute...I will draw it or work it out on photoshop when I get home?

basically it''d have the ering on top
plain wedding band in the middle
kirkawa band on the bottom

I worked it out on paper once with the measurements all there, and it looked pretty good. The band needs to be 2-2.5mm, wedding band the same, and then the krikawa is about 2.5 as well. And the ering and plain wring are comfort fit too.

Does that help at all?

OK now I get it. Thanks!

My only concern would be that depending on the size of the spinel in your ER, would it cover over the smaller stone in the kirkawa band if they''re all ''lined up''.

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.5mm or so round or 6mmx8mm oval?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here LS...top gray line is the ering shank, darker gray is the plain w-band, and the light gray with the blue part is the krikawa band...

Thoughts?

Total ick mockup of ering and wbands.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Wow Freke....congratulations on your ering stone search! I know you''re anxious, but you''ll find the perfect one and will know it when you see it.
36.gif

Jeff White is amazing and will do a wonderful job for you. I can attest to that.

Best of luck with whomever you choose to go with!

Lori

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 11:43:27 PM
Here LS...top gray line is the ering shank, darker gray is the plain w-band, and the light gray with the blue part is the krikawa band...

Thoughts?
My preference would be round, or the oval set east-west.

What would be the height of the top of the stone on the Krikawa band? You'd have to be sure the ER stone is set high enough so the 2 edges aren't bumping into each other.
LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol lori I will go with whoever comes up with the right rough and cuts it well! I'm not picky, I swear! And Jeff is not looking likely because he doesn't have any suitable rough, and it doesn't sound like he's going to be getting any in soon either.

I know that when I find the right stone, I'll know it, which is why I'm not worrying about it too much. Although BF has told me I'm obsessing about it.

LS I told John to cut a round. I'm not sure what dictated this decision...I guess the higher yield got to me. Who knew Freke was a little bit of a size whore? 1.5-1.75 vs the 1.25ish oval. He thinks it should end up being around 7.5-7.75mm. We shall see.

The krikawa band has the sapphire set so that it's flush with the band.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be wearing the ering and both wedding bands together most of the time. When I get all three, I'll probably wear a combo of the three at all times. But only for special occasions, I'll wear all three, and I probably won't wear the ering all that much to begin with. I do too much with my hands-cooking, baking and all that. So the majority of the time will be just the plain band, and occasionally the krikawa band as well, and then even less often all three. Or possibly the plain band and the ering. Sooo....yeah. I guess I should just say I'm not too worried about the rubbing.
2.gif

Dan has pretty much decided to order new rough, so we'll see what he comes up with. And if he doesn't get anything there, we've talked about buying a native cut stone and recutting it. So we'll just see how it goes, and what happens.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 1:05:34 PM
Lol lori I will go with whoever comes up with the right rough and cuts it well! I''m not picky, I swear! And Jeff is not looking likely because he doesn''t have any suitable rough, and it doesn''t sound like he''s going to be getting any in soon either.

I know that when I find the right stone, I''ll know it, which is why I''m not worrying about it too much. Although BF has told me I''m obsessing about it.

LS I told John to cut a round. I''m not sure what dictated this decision...I guess the higher yield got to me. Who knew Freke was a little bit of a size whore? 1.5-1.75 vs the 1.25ish oval. He thinks it should end up being around 7.5-7.75mm. We shall see.

The krikawa band has the sapphire set so that it''s flush with the band.

In all honesty, I wouldn''t be wearing the ering and both wedding bands together most of the time. When I get all three, I''ll probably wear a combo of the three at all times. But only for special occasions, I''ll wear all three, and I probably won''t wear the ering all that much to begin with. I do too much with my hands-cooking, baking and all that. So the majority of the time will be just the plain band, and occasionally the krikawa band as well, and then even less often all three. Or possibly the plain band and the ering. Sooo....yeah. I guess I should just say I''m not too worried about the rubbing.
2.gif

Dan has pretty much decided to order new rough, so we''ll see what he comes up with. And if he doesn''t get anything there, we''ve talked about buying a native cut stone and recutting it. So we''ll just see how it goes, and what happens.
That sounds like a good plan.

What''s your *favourite colour* today?

Glad to hear I''m not the only "size whore" around here!
31.gif

LS

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Your search is making me anxious FOR you lol.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite color today would have to be stones that are close to my eye color.
2.gif

Like so:

eye ering color.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 1:29:51 PM
2.gif

Like so:

woooooo those are nice!

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol MonkeyPie. I''ll find it. Eventually. It just may take longer than I originally thought.
4.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 1:30:37 PM
2.gif

Like so:
woooooo those are nice!

LS
Yup! I think so. Those are in contention for recut if Dan can''t find anything else. Think they match my eye color close enough? (BTW, my eyes were looking more gray/green that day, but I do like the color of those stones.
9.gif
)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 1:33:04 PM

Date: 8/18/2008 1:30:37 PM

2.gif

Like so:
woooooo those are nice!

LS
Yup! I think so. Those are in contention for recut if Dan can''t find anything else. Think they match my eye color close enough? (BTW, my eyes were looking more gray/green that day, but I do like the color of those stones.
9.gif
)
You and I are "eye twins". Mine are the same. THAT''S why I loved the stones!
2.gif

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for being eye twins!!!!That''s so cool!!

I think I''m getting away from wanting a lavender stone...blue is both BF''s and my favorite color and it makes sense to get something blue. But you know this already (lucky stiff, with you and your big blue sapphire!).

I''m keeping my fingers crossed that Dan (or anyone else that''s *kind of* looking) finds something amazing. Or that John cuts an amazing spinel.

(If we had $$$ I''d probably want to get that big blue round and have Dan recut it smaller, but that would take more $$$ than we have saved for it, so no go on that one...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results