shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperately Seeking Spinel!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok guys, I''m looking for a spinel. Actually more than one, but just this one for now-the other one can wait...

Anyway, this is going to be very specific.

Color: lavender/violet, blue, and blue with a hint of green. Light to medium tone, minimal to no gray. Something that when people see it, they wonder what it is. I''m looking for unusual, unique, something that is interesting.

Shape: An oval is my first choice 6mm x 8mm-7mm x 9mm, but a little bit smaller is ok. And I like longer, skinnier ovals, even if it doesn''t fall into those parameters. Ovals should be around 2(6mmx8mm)-2.5 carats.

But I''ll take a round too 6.5mm-8mm. Rounds should be around 1.5(6.5mm)-2 carats(8mm).

Clarity: Eye clean or better.

Cut: As for cut...this is where I get picky. I want it to be as perfect as possible. I''m considering going to Jeff White or Dan Stair to see what they''ve got. I''d love a Barry Bridgestock, but I have a feeling that that would be a luck kind of thing with finding it on ACS. I do not like concave cuts at all, but I do like chunky cuts. No bowties, no windows.

Time line: No real time lines, but before the end of the year would be ideal.

Budget: I''d say under $400, but could probably go up to $500.

So has anyone seem anything like this or worked with Jeff White on something similar? How much do his stones usually cost anyway?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry Frekechild, I can''t help, but I wanted to wish you good luck on your search! I hope you find something you like and come back and show it to us!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here are three that might fit the bill colour wise.

They all have colour shifts...

Spin%2026a.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Trying again...

Colour shift from blue to darker blue

bluedarkbluespinel.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
1.97ct violet blue shifting to deeper blue

ACGspinel.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
1.93ct

ACGspinel2.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''ll see if I can find anything else...

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
If I was you, I would just email Jeff White. Just shoot him off an email with all the details you just provided us and He will get back to you!

E B

Ideal_Rock
What about this guy? He''s a little bit smaller than you asked for, but he''s oval AND blue/violet:

.98 ct Blue Spinel

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a photo:

Spin 31.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I actually had Jeff looking for a similar color if he couldn''t find my pink right away, and he said he could probably find something he already had that would work. I''d definitly drop him an email!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would to Freke, I bet he will find you something gorgeous!!!!!
36.gif
30.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
So what''s this for, hmmm? I think if we''re going on a treasure hunt, we should know what the loot''s being used for!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
did you check wild fish gems? I''ve been stalking their sapphires - they seem to have a good inventory of spinels too, and I think they''ll look for something especially for you if they dont have it. sounds like a very fun project!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m fouth-ing emailing Jeff White.

For reference, he guessed my 7 mm ~2 ct. Grossular Garnet would be between $400-$500. Hope that helps, Freke!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 6:26:24 PM
Author: TanDogMom
did you check wild fish gems? I''ve been stalking their sapphires - they seem to have a good inventory of spinels too, and I think they''ll look for something especially for you if they dont have it. sounds like a very fun project!
I''ve been on Ed''s site, and although I like some of his stuff, the layout of his site is so frustrating. I wish he had dimensions in the original listing rather than having to click on it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi guys! Thanks for your help so far.

BF has given me permission to harass anyone and everyone for.......an ering stone.

So that''s what we''re looking for. I have actually emailed Jeff White and Dan Stair already (basically the same time I posted late last night), and I already heard back from Dan, who doesn''t have any rough that fits the description. I haven''t heard back from Jeff yet, I hope I hear back from him tonight. I haven''t even begun to pour over the websites because BF took the day off work to hang out with me, so we''ve been gone all day. I''m considering emailing Barbara Smigel to see if she or any of her suppliers have anything like that.

I totally agree LTP, that Wildfish''s site is really hard to navigate, and kind of a PITA.

If you guys see anything cool out there, please please let me know!

I love what you guys have posted so far, but nothing has made my heart pitter patter yet. But I really appreciate you looking.

Thanks again!

Now I''m going to go pour over every website I can think of.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 8:31:06 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Hi guys! Thanks for your help so far.

BF has given me permission to harass anyone and everyone for.......an ering stone.

So that''s what we''re looking for. I have actually emailed Jeff White and Dan Stair already (basically the same time I posted late last night), and I already heard back from Dan, who doesn''t have any rough that fits the description. I haven''t heard back from Jeff yet, I hope I hear back from him tonight. I haven''t even begun to pour over the websites because BF took the day off work to hang out with me, so we''ve been gone all day. I''m considering emailing Barbara Smigel to see if she or any of her suppliers have anything like that.

I totally agree LTP, that Wildfish''s site is really hard to navigate, and kind of a PITA.

If you guys see anything cool out there, please please let me know!

I love what you guys have posted so far, but nothing has made my heart pitter patter yet. But I really appreciate you looking.

Thanks again!

Now I''m going to go pour over every website I can think of.
Freke: are you making an *announcement*???
31.gif

Good luck with your search. I agree with you and LTP re: Wildfish. Their site makes me nuts. Are you looking for a colour-change, or a blue-violet? I''ll have a scout around too.

Jeff is usually around over the weekends: in fact, we KNOW he''s working this weekend rock-cutting because he''s cutting one for MonkeyPie!
9.gif

Good luck and keep us posted.

LS

p.s. kind regards to your mother.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess so. I was trying to keep it all on the down low, but you guys are too slick for me! (And too curious!!)

I've spent the last few hours corresponding with Dan some more, about the ering stone and another spinel that I've been looking for. He just posted a gorgeous blue squarish spinel around .8 of a carat-so pretty far from what I'm looking for with project number one, but stunning nonetheless. And BF seemed to like it-he was almost ready to whip out his card if I liked it. Lol.

I'm trying to come up with any and all sites that might have spinels...I have about 8 open in another browser so far...

Thank you LS. She's the strongest person I've ever met.

Ok, back to spinel hunting!! (That sounds like I'm actually hunting an animal!)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
YAY! Fun project time.

That''s what I thought you were looking for when you said, "As perfect as possible." It''s got to be like the relationship, right?
28.gif

Hmmm...I''m off hunting...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 10:05:08 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I guess so. I was trying to keep it all on the down low, but you guys are too slick for me! (And too curious!!)

I''ve spent the last few hours corresponding with Dan some more, about the ering stone and another spinel that I''ve been looking for. He just posted a gorgeous blue squarish spinel around .8 of a carat-so pretty far from what I''m looking for with project number one, but stunning nonetheless. And BF seemed to like it-he was almost ready to whip out his card if I liked it. Lol.

I''m trying to come up with any and all sites that might have spinels...I have about 8 open in another browser so far...

Thank you LS. She''s the strongest person I''ve ever met.

Ok, back to spinel hunting!! (That sounds like I''m actually hunting an animal!)

emlove.gif
C
emlove.gif
O
emlove.gif
N
emlove.gif
G
emlove.gif
R
emlove.gif
A
emlove.gif
T
emlove.gif
U
emlove.gif
L
emlove.gif
A
emlove.gif
T
emlove.gif
I
emlove.gif
O
emlove.gif
N
emlove.gif
S
emlove.gif
!!!

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahaha princesss and LS. Nothing to congratulate me on yet, although I''ll accept it just the same. As for the perfection...that''s just me being nitpicky. HE''S got plenty of flaws.
28.gif

I swear, Dan Stair is probably getting sick of me. I''ve been harassing him all night long! Did you guys see that he just did another drop the other day? He''s got a 14ct amethyst that''s like the bigger darker brother of mine!

Anyway...I''m waiting for a stone to sing to me, and so far it hasn''t happened.

Please! Post ANYTHING you find!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Freke a Spinel!!! How exciting
36.gif
On top of that it will be an engagement stone
30.gif
Oh Boy!!! I can''t wait to see what you end up with. I just know, Jeff will come up with something amazing for you..

This will be so much fun, to follow you through this whole process
9.gif

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol Linda. At least someone is excited! I'm just nervous and anxious.

So I've seriously been bugging Dan ALL NIGHT LONG, and he must be totally sick of me! However, he might just have something that would fit the other spinel I've been looking for-I'll find out tomorrow.

I heard back from Jeff. He has a piece of rough that sounds great-only it'll make a 4cter and that is WAY HUGE for semi-everyday wear (and totally out of my price range!) So I asked him a few questions and told him you guys talked me into writing him.

I think my ideal color would be like Love in Bloom's Barry Bridgestock spinel or Jeff's blue/lavender spinel but a touch bluer.

I've decided I don't mind the gray undertones of some of these stones. I think it really just depends on the primary color.

I'm nervous that I'm looking for the impossible...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
YAYYYYYYY!!! Freke, I just wanted to offer congrats too and just say that the color you''re describing sounds BEAUTIFUL for an e-ring. Can''t wait to see what you find! So exciting. YAYYYYY!!!! :)

Any ideas on the setting?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, that is a gorgeous Spinel you posted. You know what??? When you see the right one, your eyes will pop right out of your head, tee hee. I swear they will!!!!!! In your heart, you will KNOW that is the RIGHT stone for you.

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plain ol'' comfort fit white gold solitaire. No special designer/artists or anything. The only things I''m insisting on is that it''s 14kt (because my rockin'' wedding band #2 would be ASTRONOMICALLY expensive in Plat) and that it''s flush fit. I want the stone to take center stage-and both BF and I are pretty minimalist. So that makes sense for it.

I''m so anxious!! I hope Jeff or Dan (or someone else!) can find something that''ll work that will sing to me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 12:02:22 AM
Author: Linda W
Freke, that is a gorgeous Spinel you posted. You know what??? When you see the right one, your eyes will pop right out of your head, tee hee. I swear they will!!!!!! In your heart, you will KNOW that is the RIGHT stone for you.

Linda
Thank you for the reassurance Linda. I just hope that when I see that stone that makes my heart beat faster that it''s in our price range. That makes me nervous, because our price range is pretty small...I don''t want to ask BF to try to save more money.

32.gif
<--that''s how I look IRL right now!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am positive you will find it Freke. Perhaps, Jeff and Dan can just show you stones, within your price range.

I''m keeping my fingers, eyes and toes crossed for you.
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Linda! I''m keeping my fingers and toes crossed as well!

I really dig that teal blue squarish thing Dan posted. If that were a carat larger, and oval or round...this search might be over...

I''m still looking all over the internet...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results