shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperately Seeking Spinel!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol EBree. I was actually looking for a pure gray spinel, but he found this and when I heard the description of it, I got all excited. I don't think it's really something he would have cut just on his own because he's very much about the vibrant colors, and this stone is pretty gray. Which is exactly what I wanted.

I'm thinking about a ring. I keep playing in my head that I could ask BF to use it for the ering, but I really thing I should hold out.

It is kind of close to what I want the ering to be, I just want the ering stone to be way less gray, and maybe more of a periwinkle color. I think Dan is going to get some more spinel rough soon, so we'll see if anything comes from that.

Thanks LS! I'm really excited!!!

Still gotta find that *elusive* ering stone.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, that is a gorgeous stone. I can''t wait to see if this is THE ONE for you.

How long will it take before it is in your hot little hands tee hee ?

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking it''s not Linda...I wanted something bigger for the ering, and it really needs to be a round or an oval. I played with the idea of getting a cushion instead for a while, but one of the wedding bands will have a round in it, and I think an oval/round would look best with it.

I''m actually kind of leaning towards the darker blue stone that misspinky posted on the second page. I keep staring at it. So if nothing pops up in Dan''s new parcel, or with anyone else that I''ve been harassing, or in Barbara''s September/October drops...

But Dan is getting more spinel rough, and he''s hoping that he''ll come up with the perfect piece in there. So I''m crossing my fingers!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I love that greyish one, Freke - even in the rough it was a gorgeous stone. He cut it to perfection. Can''t wait to see it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m really excited about it. I can''t wait to get it!

But I''m even more anxious about the ering stone....

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have been trying to post a comment with a link for ages and it won''t let me. Is freaking flickr one of the banned websites on this board?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is, but it''s blocked so as to not have a broken link. Facebook, myspace, photobucket, etc, links are as well.

What do you have?
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok...I'm adding a pic of the colors I could potentially be interested in. It includes Love In Bloom's spinel, Jeff White, Barry Bridgestock, one from John B of GemRite, etc etc etc.

Thanks for all of your help guys! I so appreciate it...

ETA: Today I'm into the more pure blue/greenish blue, and not so much the lavender. I think the top left is a little bit darker than I'd like and the bottom left is about the lightest I'd like. Other than that...free reign.

blue spinels freke.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting group of colours. I
30.gif
the second and third on the top row. WOW!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh Freke, these are so beautiful.

Linda

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2008 4:50:52 PM
Author: misspinky
Blue gem
I wanted to recommend this cutter earlier when you mentioned chunky cuts but obviously I''m not allowed to mention his name
2.gif

I have a Garnet from him, and actually had him source a larger garnet which he cut with the same cut and I should hopefully receive tomorrow
36.gif
I just love the chunky faceted stones and the photo does not even do justice to how it looks IRL. Here''s a picture of my garnet, and hopefully I''ll be posting its larger twin tomorrow
9.gif

pl_614_detail_1.png

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually contacted him Babyblue. He's got a piece of lavender rough that I might be interested in. We'll see. I actually really like one of his stones (it's in the collage up ^ there)-its just a tad bit dark. I might bug him some more, but in the meantime, I'm just waiting to hear back from him.

Thanks Princesss and Linda. I really like the middle one on the top-but it's bigger than I wanted (!), more expensive than I wanted but it's really a stunning stone...

Thoughts on any of the stones in the collage, guys?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 4:53:31 PM
Author: Babyblue033
Date: 8/16/2008 4:50:52 PM

Author: misspinky

Blue gem

I wanted to recommend this cutter earlier when you mentioned chunky cuts but obviously I''m not allowed to mention his name
2.gif

I have a Garnet from him, and actually had him source a larger garnet which he cut with the same cut and I should hopefully receive tomorrow
36.gif
I just love the chunky faceted stones and the photo does not even do justice to how it looks IRL. Here''s a picture of my garnet, and hopefully I''ll be posting its larger twin tomorrow
9.gif

pl_614_detail_1.png

That is gorgeous. Now, how would one find this cutter since his name can''t be mentioned? Is this the same person who did the lavender flower-esque stone on page 2?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes it is Princesss. You can kind of tell by the picture and how it has an almost reflection of the stone just under the stone.

He's got some really really cool cuts. (Like the STARS! OMG!)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Those stars fascinate me. Not sure I could have one on my hand, but how COOL would that be for a pendant??? Oh man....*starts saving* (I wonder if the star would act as a window? But what a window, lol)

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 5:03:25 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Thoughts on any of the stones in the collage, guys?

I like the top left (of course
2.gif
) the top middle and the top right (because I''m fond of square cuts)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really think this is a beautiful stone, even though it''s native cut and that''s so not what I''m looking for...

What do you guys think?

round blue spinel Freke.jpg

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 5:37:13 PM
I really think this is a beautiful stone, even though it''s native cut and that''s so not what I''m looking for...

What do you guys think?

I think it''s beautiful. I LOVE the color of it and it has those beautiful chunky facets that you like so much.
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 5:37:13 PM
I really think this is a beautiful stone, even though it's native cut and that's so not what I'm looking for...

What do you guys think?

I think it's amazing. I love the cut. And the color is DIVINE.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahah turns out the square one in the top right corner...is a sapphire. I misread the description. Oh well. It was sold anyway. But what a pretty color!

I emailed the vendor about the round spinel, mostly to see if they had any more pictures, so I will let you know what I hear back from them. I think it''s a stunning color, and a pretty cut with those nifty chunky facets. I just wish it wasn''t as big as it is. It''s bigger than a 2ct diamond. Yikes!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 2:52:06 PM
I think it is, but it''s blocked so as to not have a broken link. Facebook, myspace, photobucket, etc, links are as well.

What do you have?
31.gif

I have a cutter that doesn''t have a website, only a flick-r stream. He''s AMAZING and I want to show him off but it won''t let me. So in flick-r, look up ptorraca!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there anyway to email him, I wonder? I didn''t see any contact info for him anywhere...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have his email which he said I could pass on to you. So let''s see how long this stays up: ptgems. At GeeMail :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go back and delete it, so you don''t have to worry about it. I got it. We''re good.

How did you find him?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 6:11:53 PM

I emailed the vendor about the round spinel, mostly to see if they had any more pictures, so I will let you know what I hear back from them. I think it''s a stunning color, and a pretty cut with those nifty chunky facets. I just wish it wasn''t as big as it is. It''s bigger than a 2ct diamond. Yikes!

Well, at least you know you''d be safe from GemSS for a long time!
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahahaha EBree!!! I have this sheet that shows just how big it would be--and it''s HUGE. Its actually more like the size of a 2.5 carat diamond.

ACK!!

Seriously. I think it might be too big for me...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:06:30 PM
Hahahahaha EBree!!! I have this sheet that shows just how big it would be--and it's HUGE. Its actually more like the size of a 2.5 carat diamond.

ACK!!

Seriously. I think it might be too big for me...

That is a large stone.

Did you see this stone from the site that shall not be named? It's a sapphire. I don't know the availability, but the blog post is from late July. Is it a color/shape you'd be interested in? The cut looks like babyblue's stunning garnet.

ETA: I just realized you're not looking for a sapphire. Nevermind! But it is a beautiful cut, no?

lodwarsapph.jpg

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That really is beautiful. I have no problems withe sapphires besides price. I just like spinels better because of their dispersion.

...yeah...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:18:17 PM
That really is beautiful. I have no problems withe sapphires besides price. I just like spinels better because of their dispersion.

...yeah...

Did I post something off-limits?

I had to look up what you meant by dispersion! I realize I know so little about colored gems, but I''m learning more by the day.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results