shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding on a Budget

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could 100% have something like this made for you! People have had.....interesting experiences working with Leon M himself, but this design isn't anything that can't be made by a skilled bench (there are many versions of this type of 3 stone). I'd recommend figuring out what size middle stone you would want and getting a quote from David Klass or Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, or any other benches often recommended here.

I had 2 great experiences with Leon and have 2 lovely rings. He did have a beautiful asscher diamond ring there, I'd definitely recommend him. I live not too far from NYC, so he seemed to be the logical choice.

@vintageloves what style of ring do you like? A budget is good, but knowing what you want is just as important. You're not going to get the best information or best price in a b&m jewelry store, but perhaps you've figured this out.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure if I should continue with this thread or start another for questions?

I went on James Allen just to play around, and when I limited the emerald cut diamonds by depth, most of them disappeared. My understanding is that these stones should be 60-65% deep and most are near 70%. I saw a radiant cut at 77%!

This was my choice: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.08-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-5412326

I'm not going to buy this stone, but I want to see if I have an "eye" for a good cut.

Boy do I wish I wanted a round. Fancy cuts are seeming like a huge hassle.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your husband is going to one day enjoy learning the price difference between the ring you end up with and that same size and quality when purchased from a brick and mortar retailer!

If custom makes you nervous, consider the preloved route: you know what you’re getting and you get a huge discount because it’s preowned.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if I should continue with this thread or start another for questions?

I went on James Allen just to play around, and when I limited the emerald cut diamonds by depth, most of them disappeared. My understanding is that these stones should be 60-65% deep and most are near 70%. I saw a radiant cut at 77%!

This was my choice: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.08-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-5412326

I'm not going to buy this stone, but I want to see if I have an "eye" for a good cut.

Boy do I wish I wanted a round. Fancy cuts are seeming like a huge hassle.
You can't shop stepcuts by the numbers - it is all about the videos to see how the facets work! (IMHO)

Even ASETscope images are of only limited value for stepcuts - they only give you one view (head-on) so can aid in filtering out those that are 'all on / all off' with obstruction/contrast, or just plain leaky, but you need to see them moving! (Again, IMHO!)

JA is very good in that respect, so remove your filters on dimensions and just search by colour/clarity/carat/budget preferences :))

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
After thinking about it, doing (way too much, frankly) research, looking online (again, way too much!), I've decided not to get a ring. Honestly, I'm just relived. I needed something easy, simple and this ring was not shaping up to be anything other than a time consuming expensive headache. My husband is probably so sick of hearing about it; he does not see any reason why it should take more than 10-30 minutes online to pick this out. I'm not quite that extreme, but I know myself enough to know I would *hate* doing custom work and I would be miserable if this process stretched out for weeks or months.

I appreciate all the advice and I'm sure others will find it useful. I hope no one feels like they wasted their time on me! I might stick around though-- I very much like looking at *other* people's bling!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think anyone would feel like it was a waste of time! Not buying is just as valid a conclusion to come to and if you ever decide to look again you'll be that much more prepared. ;)2

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
After thinking about it, doing (way too much, frankly) research, looking online (again, way too much!), I've decided not to get a ring. Honestly, I'm just relived. I needed something easy, simple and this ring was not shaping up to be anything other than a time consuming expensive headache. My husband is probably so sick of hearing about it; he does not see any reason why it should take more than 10-30 minutes online to pick this out. I'm not quite that extreme, but I know myself enough to know I would *hate* doing custom work and I would be miserable if this process stretched out for weeks or months.

I appreciate all the advice and I'm sure others will find it useful. I hope no one feels like they wasted their time on me! I might stick around though-- I very much like looking at *other* people's bling!
That totally ok!its a huge chunk of money and they def need to be spend wise ! I would just get an awesome diamond wedding band from whiteflash with their ACA stones and enjoy the bling

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly @vintageloves that’s one of the problems with PS, you start wanting things you didn’t even know you wanted and it gets overwhelming :D

It’s a good idea to take a step back and forget about it for a while if it’s causing you stress.

This place is a fountain of knowledge, but sometimes that just confuses you even more.

I totally understand what you’re saying, my DH has less than zero interest in jewellery, and was sick of me saying ‘oooo look at this’.

I’m sure the perfect piece is out there, now’s just not the perfect time.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I don't think anyone would feel like it was a waste of time! Not buying is just as valid a conclusion to come to and if you ever decide to look again you'll be that much more prepared. ;)2

Thank you! Maybe later, you're right.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
That totally ok!its a huge chunk of money and they def need to be spend wise ! I would just get an awesome diamond wedding band from whiteflash with their ACA stones and enjoy the bling

Yeah, it being a huge chunk of money really puts the pressure on! It's worse than trying to buy a car. I'm not a band girl (I like just smooth metal between my fingers), but I appreciate the suggestion.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it being a huge chunk of money really puts the pressure on! It's worse than trying to buy a car. I'm not a band girl (I like just smooth metal between my fingers), but I appreciate the suggestion.
Then just go for a nice vacation as a present /)) jewleries should bring pleasure and making one piece should bring excitement and entertainment! Not stress ! We have too much stress from outside :job,health ,kids,houses . Not worth to stress about piece of jewelry .

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Honestly @vintageloves that’s one of the problems with PS, you start wanting things you didn’t even know you wanted and it gets overwhelming :D

This is so true. I was looking around and starting thinking about upgrading my diamond pendant (it's the ubiquitous .17 bezel set from Tiffany). Then I realized that was insane. There's nothing wrong with my pendant, and, oh yeah, I JUST got it for my birthday 6 months ago.

You guys are a bad influence. For shame! ;-)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PriceScope - enabling purchases you don't really need ;)) :D

Stick around - the exact thing you want might come up when you least expect it!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
PriceScope - enabling purchases you don't really need ;)) :D

Stick around - the exact thing you want might come up when you least expect it!

Oh, I find plenty of things I love, just no way to purchase them. I have no idea how you girls find such lovely rings! I've always been terrible at shopping and I hate doing it, except thrift shopping which I'm weirdly great at. That's where all my great finds come from. Do you think I can find a ring at Goodwill?:mrgreen2:

I have toyed with working with someone named Victor Canera, but I don't know if his antique cuts are worth the extra money, as beautiful as they are. And custom work makes me super nervous. I saw it described in a thread here as gambling. I do not gamble, ever.

According to my husband, this ring IS happening. But he's more clueless than I am, so there's that.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you’re ready, just post what you want, but more importantly, your budget, and the great people here will hunt down the perfect ring for you.

Personally, I don’t get why some people are reluctant to go the pre-loved route, you can get absolutely amazing unique pieces, for great prices.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is a great idea... but it won't work through no fault of yours. He'll think we can afford E but will circle A because in his mind 1.2 ct is huuuge and why spend more when you can get exactly what you want for less than 10K? His focus is always on value, not cost. A jeweler would have to show him every one of those sizes for him to decide.

It's going to take me finding what I want, pointing to it, and saying can I have this. Then it can be yes or no. He's never, ever going to give me a budget.

And I get what you mean about wasting my time. Trust me, I've thought about giving up.

I think that's what you may have to do. My fiance is of similar "logic". We went to look at rings and he saw a 1ct asscher and he decided it was too small so the budget was upped that way. I think it helps to be able to show things to them tangibly sometimes.
Also for you style wise: I'd check out CVB- Caysie van bebber. She does fabulous settings with kind of a quirky vintage flair.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I think that's what you may have to do. My fiance is of similar "logic". We went to look at rings and he saw a 1ct asscher and he decided it was too small so the budget was upped that way. I think it helps to be able to show things to them tangibly sometimes.
Also for you style wise: I'd check out CVB- Caysie van bebber. She does fabulous settings with kind of a quirky vintage flair.

My husband said the same thing when he saw the 2 carat emerald cut at Costco. He had no idea what 2 carats would look like, but he was not impressed.

Thank you for introducing me to CVB. She has great style. If I were getting engaged, I'd be all over that Dahlia ring!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
When you’re ready, just post what you want, but more importantly, your budget, and the great people here will hunt down the perfect ring for you.

Personally, I don’t get why some people are reluctant to go the pre-loved route, you can get absolutely amazing unique pieces, for great prices.

Not opposed to pre-loved at all. Do you have recommendations of sellers to look at for pre-loved rings?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As JmeeMrie has said, Jewels by Grace and Love affair diamonds, not to mention the Preloved section here on PS are good places to look. I’m sure the officianados here know of other great places, that’s why it’s a good idea to ask =)2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor Canera does lovely work and his stones are beautiful!

Custom is always a venture into the unknown. Fortunately, VC has one of the most generous “What if I don’t like my never-tried custom piece?” policies around. Note this is specific to new designs - you’d need to talk to them to find out if a particular design fits into this category.
https://www.victorcanera.com/service/faqs
Q
I'm considering commissioning a new unique design but I'm nervous as to how it will turn out.

A
We understand the hesitation of trying out a brand new design and the uncertainty that it will not come out as envisioned. Clients commissioning Victor Canera to create that new and never tried before design will receive full credit (minus side-stones) towards another item if they're unhappy with their completed jewel.

I think you should take some time away from this project @vintageloves. Your DH is lovely to insist that this ring is happening, but the objective of making it happen is to make you happy - if it’s causing you more stress than excitement then it’s time to take a break. All the diamonds and settings you might want down the road will be here when you’re ready to enjoy them!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have toyed with working with someone named Victor Canera, but I don't know if his antique cuts are worth the extra money, as beautiful as they are. And custom work makes me super nervous. I saw it described in a thread here as gambling. I do not gamble, ever.

According to my husband, this ring IS happening. But he's more clueless than I am, so there's that.

I've not worked directly with Victor Canera (VC). But others tend to rave about him. I've seen some of his work and it's been impressive. If you were going to go custom, VC would get the job done with class.

I would consider him for future projects for my fiancee.

ETA:
Looks like @yssie and I posted about the same time.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I've not worked directly with Victor Canera (VC). But others tend to rave about him. I've seen some of his work and it's been impressive. If you were going to go custom, VC would get the job done with class.

I would consider him for future projects for my fiancee.

ETA:
Looks like @yssie and I posted about the same time.

Good to know. I really liked his antique cushions and his style with less prongs in 3 stone rings appeals to me too. I wonder if half-moons would be a good compliment with them. That's the kind of stuff I need help with. I will contact him.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Victor Canera does lovely work and his stones are beautiful!

Custom is always a venture into the unknown. Fortunately, VC has one of the most generous “What if I don’t like my never-tried custom piece?” policies around. Note this is specific to new designs - you’d need to talk to them to find out if a particular design fits into this category.
https://www.victorcanera.com/service/faqs

I think you should take some time away from this project @vintageloves. Your DH is lovely to insist that this ring is happening, but the objective of making it happen is to make you happy - if it’s causing you more stress than excitement then it’s time to take a break. All the diamonds and settings you might want down the road will be here when you’re ready to enjoy them!!

Yes, I'm starting to pull back and it's been to my benefit. When my husband said it's happening, he didn't put a timeline on it, although he'd like it to happen by our next anniversary, which is March. So a bit of time, then.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@vintageloves - I wonder if moissanite would scratch your itch, without requiring you to put out SO much money? And you could wear it for a year, figuring out what you like or don’t like about it, and then get the whole thing made in diamond when you feel more comfortable about it?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E2CBEA75-BB01-490B-8628-9202977D5AAE.png 34FA4741-88B4-4121-86DD-77E197032682.png 68D5A17C-3048-4F26-B1A1-408D3FF69E6E.png :mrgreen2:
But please ignore me if it’s diamonds all the way and nothing else could work! I know it’s overwhelming but I’m excited that your Dh wants this for you, and you’ll be ok - we’re all helping :)

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
@vintageloves - I wonder if moissanite would scratch your itch, without requiring you to put out SO much money? And you could wear it for a year, figuring out what you like or don’t like about it, and then get the whole thing made in diamond when you feel more comfortable about it?

I never gave any thought to a moissanite and don't know much about them other than they are lab created. However, it's probably the only way I can afford an antique cushion cut, so I'll see what my husband says (probably a no, it's not special enough).

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I never gave any thought to a moissanite and don't know much about them other than they are lab created. However, it's probably the only way I can afford an antique cushion cut, so I'll see what my husband says (probably a no, it's not special enough).

Oh yeah, it’s definitely not special enough IMO. Soooo I would go back to my preloved suggestion :)
Find a nice antique, it’s a great bang for your buck and you don’t have to go the custom route!

Also sorry- I posted emerald cut pics because I think I missed the bit about looking for an antique cushion :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results