shape
carat
color
clarity

Debate the VP DEBATE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
10/3/2008 12:10:58 AM
Author: strmrdr
well this Redneck likes Sarah she reminds me of Margaret.
I think she did very well, is very smart and very tough and has a lot of class.
If she is "very smart", she didn't show it in the debates. When asked about a specific problem that people are concerned is her Achilles heel, she went on to talk about her virtues instead, totally ignoring that an Achilles heel is a weak point. Joe Biden, after she had rambled at length, still remembered the queston and went on to say that it was very kind of the moderator to imply that the Achilles heel she had suggested was his only weak point.

Joe Biden understood what an Achilles heel was; he acknowledged he had one; he addressed the issue. In other words, Joe Biden showed enough intelligence to understand and answer a question, the minimum standard I have for a presidential candidate (and by that I include vice-presidential candidates since they are the proverbial heartbeat away from the presidency should their ticket win).

When asked what was the greater threat: Iran gaining a nuclear weapon or Pakistan being unstable, Joe Biden weighed the two on their merits. Sarah Palin, who had obviously been briefed on what to say if the word, "Iran" was mentioned instead launched into a speech on how Iran was a bad country was with a bad leader who said that Israel was a rotting (or a stinking) corpse and that she loved Israel.

Intelligent?

No, Storm. I don't think so. I think she knows how to memorize from the briefing books.

Someone told her what to spout if she heard. "Wahsington Mutual"; what to say if she heard, "Iran"; what to say if she heard, "Russia". Then she supplied the word, "maverick" a few times and talked about energy policy to fill in any gaps, no matter how inappropriate it was to the question she had been asked, because it is the only topic about which she is at all knowledgeable.

PS-I took pains to address issues, not to attack you, Storm. I remembered that I like you even though my blood was boiling and my heart was racing as I thought about Sarah Palin.

Deb
34.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:12:34 AM
Author: Demelza

Date: 10/3/2008 10:59:14 AM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 10/3/2008 10:57:01 AM

Author: swimmer

Date: 10/3/2008 10:38:01 AM

Author: risingsun

My DH is a Republican and I am an Independent. We have had political debates in our home for years. We both agree about Palin. We don''t see any substance to her. Having force-fed facts does not mean that she has knowledge. Spitting out sound bytes does not express her own perspective on the issues. You can use the same talking points, ad nauseam, but it doesn''t change inaccuries into facts. Palin did better than expected during the debate because the bar was set so low. Her style of debate wasn''t directed toward someone like me. I don''t like faux folksey, bless her heart, and ''some of my best are [fill in the blanks]'' doesn''t do it for me either. I am a white, Jewish woman. I am put off by Palin as ''constructed, ready-for-prime time candidate.'' My husband and his two brothers, one of whom was a delegate to the Republican National Convention, are all very disappointed in Palin as McCain''s running mate. DH and I don''t drink, but we did virtual shots during the debate. We virtually were slumped in our chairs by the end of it. I''ve never been a big Biden fan, but I believe he has the knowledge and experience for the position. We have been inundated with McCain''s POW history and Palin''s family challenges. Given that Palin kept bringing her hockey mom status into the debate, I thought that Biden''s brief reference to his own family was relevant. I was unaware about the losses he had endured and impressed that he did not use this information the way the Mc/Palin ticket has used their personal history.

I think that Palin is trying to ''talk the talk'' with limited success. I don''t think she has walked the walk. She is by far the weakest of the four candidates.

Well said Risingsun. I was also off put with her pandering on Israel, was she trying to win the Jews of Boca there or what? I think it backfired, as I read on an Israeli online-paper this am, ''when people speak to me all folksy, they are usually asking me where my horns are.''

I agree, Biden would not have been my pick, but now I''m very impressed.

LOL! That sounds like something my mom used to say to me when I was younger. I would say ''I met a friend today, and they were surprised I was Jewish!'' Mom would say ''Did they not notice your horns?''

Hehe.

I was really annoyed at her Israel drop. It was seriously
35.gif
HI ISRAEL! ... ook now back to the real issues.
20.gif

It wasn''t too long ago that someone said to me, ''You''re Jewish?!? You don''t look Jewish.'' Ummm, is that supposed to be a compliment? I was so taken aback, I honestly didn''t know what to say.

OMG Demelza! You have NO idea how many times I''ve heard that!!!! Reading your post just made me angry.
29.gif

Ahhh... the ignorant.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 9:55:04 AM
Hi guys, mmmm, skimming through was interesting, just wanted to add that Bosniacs are ethnic Bosnians who are Muslim, so when discussing genocidal conflicts it is necessary to distinguish which Bosnians are killing or being killed. Muslim Bosnians are Bosniacs and have been for a long time (Biden didn''t invent the term).

And no one freaked when Palin suggested changing the Constitution to expand the role of the VP?!? Moon, what were you drinking? In an almost post-Cheney world, that is quite a statement! The VP was not designed to serve as part of the executive branch, unless the exec dies! How can the M/P campaign be all about original constitutional meaning...framers'' original intent...and yet contradict it all the time?

Quite frankly, its good that Palin outgrew her Miss South Carolina blathering, young women need to see that women can be respected and hold their own. I would never vote for her, even at the PTA level, but girls need to see women in high places.

Glad y''all had fun!

Well, to be honest, when she started to answer I heard the first sentence, filled up my wine glass, and walked away from the screen. It was more than apparent that she just didn''t know what the heck she was talking about, I almost couldn''t take it anymore. I grabbed it from the transcript and geez, it''s worse to read her than it is to hear her:

"there, too, also"

IFILL: Governor, you mentioned a moment ago the constitution might give the vice president more power than it has in the past. Do you believe as Vice President Cheney does, that the Executive Branch does not hold complete sway over the office of the vice presidency, that it it is also a member of the Legislative Branch?

PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president''s agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we''ll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:15:25 AM

My DH is a Republican and I am an Independent. We have had political debates in our home for years. We both agree about Palin. We don''t see any substance to her. Having force-fed facts does not mean that she has knowledge. Spitting out sound bytes does not express her own perspective on the issues. You can use the same talking points, ad nauseam, but it doesn''t change inaccuries into facts. Palin did better than expected during the debate because the bar was set so low. Her style of debate wasn''t directed toward someone like me. I don''t like faux folksey, bless her heart, and ''some of my best are [fill in the blanks]'' doesn''t do it for me either. I am a white, Jewish woman. I am put off by Palin as ''constructed, ready-for-prime time candidate.'' My husband and his two brothers, one of whom was a delegate to the Republican National Convention, are all very disappointed in Palin as McCain''s running mate. DH and I don''t drink, but we did virtual shots during the debate. We virtually were slumped in our chairs by the end of it. I''ve never been a big Biden fan, but I believe he has the knowledge and experience for the position. We have been inundated with McCain''s POW history and Palin''s family challenges. Given that Palin kept bringing her hockey mom status into the debate, I thought that Biden''s brief reference to his own family was relevant. I was unaware about the losses he had endured and impressed that he did not use this information the way the Mc/Palin ticket has used their personal history.

I think that Palin is trying to ''talk the talk'' with limited success. I don''t think she has walked the walk. She is by far the weakest of the four candidates.

Well said Risingsun. I was also off put with her pandering on Israel, was she trying to win the Jews of Boca there or what? I think it backfired, as I read on an Israeli online-paper this am, ''when people speak to me all folksy, they are usually asking me where my horns are.''

LOL! That sounds like something my mom used to say to me when I was younger. I would say ''I met a friend today, and they were surprised I was Jewish!'' Mom would say ''Did they not notice your horns?''

Hehe.

35.gif
20.gif

It wasn''t too long ago that someone said to me, ''You''re Jewish?!? You don''t look Jewish.'' Ummm, is that supposed to be a compliment? I was so taken aback, I honestly didn''t know what to say.

OMG Demelza! You have NO idea how many times I''ve heard that!!!! Reading your post just made me angry.
29.gif

Ahhh... the ignorant. <sigh>
Elle, I was once told that I look Jewish, even though I''m not (and neither is anyone else in my family). I was a little bit mystified by that . . . what does "Jewish" look like???
33.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:20:14 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Hehe.

35.gif
20.gif

29.gif

Elle, I was once told that I look Jewish, even though I''m not (and neither is anyone else in my family). I was a little bit mystified by that . . . what does ''Jewish'' look like???
33.gif

Haha. I could tell you what people "think" it looks like, but I don''t know if we''re crossing some sort of PS rules by discussing stereotypes...

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:19:45 AM
Author: MoonWater

Hi guys, mmmm, skimming through was interesting, just wanted to add that Bosniacs are ethnic Bosnians who are Muslim, so when discussing genocidal conflicts it is necessary to distinguish which Bosnians are killing or being killed. Muslim Bosnians are Bosniacs and have been for a long time (Biden didn''t invent the term).

And no one freaked when Palin suggested changing the Constitution to expand the role of the VP?!? Moon, what were you drinking? In an almost post-Cheney world, that is quite a statement! The VP was not designed to serve as part of the executive branch, unless the exec dies! How can the M/P campaign be all about original constitutional meaning...framers'' original intent...and yet contradict it all the time?

Quite frankly, its good that Palin outgrew her Miss South Carolina blathering, young women need to see that women can be respected and hold their own. I would never vote for her, even at the PTA level, but girls need to see women in high places.

Glad y''all had fun!

Well, to be honest, when she started to answer I heard the first sentence, filled up my wine glass, and walked away from the screen. It was more than apparent that she just didn''t know what the heck she was talking about, I almost couldn''t take it anymore. I grabbed it from the transcript and geez, it''s worse to read her than it is to hear her:

''there, too, also''

IFILL: Governor, you mentioned a moment ago the constitution might give the vice president more power than it has in the past. Do you believe as Vice President Cheney does, that the Executive Branch does not hold complete sway over the office of the vice presidency, that it it is also a member of the Legislative Branch?

PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president''s agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we''ll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.

Huh?
33.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:10:58 AM

I, too, am interested in what about her you find smart? Admittedly, I disagree with her politics, but can readily admit that there are many conservative politicians out there who are well-informed, articulate, and experienced. She doesn''t seem to be one of them. I''m genuinely curious what you saw last night that leads you to think she''s qualified to be VP?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 9:11:01 AM
Good morning! Did someone say ''crab legs''???
18.gif
9.gif

To those of you who stayed on topic throughout this thread, thank you for making it a good time just like last Friday night was!
36.gif

However, a few people took this opportunity to get into a debate of their own, dealing with what does and what does not constitute racism. I stayed out of that discussion because (a) it was off-topic, (b) it is against PS rules, and (c) it''s an issue that I prefer not to discuss because I have very strong feelings on that topic.

Again, I believe this thread went well when we stayed on topic. Therefore, I will be starting another thread for Tuesday night''s debate. When I start that thread, I''m going to list very specific rules in the original post. I''m going to trust that everyone will stay on topic, keeping it light-hearted and fun like the first debate thread was. TGal, can we count on you and Amelia to referee for us again on Tuesday?

OK, lecture over!
9.gif
Hey, I''m up for it if you guys are.
1.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:21:47 AM

Hehe.

35.gif
20.gif

29.gif

Elle, I was once told that I look Jewish, even though I''m not (and neither is anyone else in my family). I was a little bit mystified by that . . . what does ''Jewish'' look like???
33.gif

Haha. I could tell you what people ''think'' it looks like, but I don''t know if we''re crossing some sort of PS rules by discussing stereotypes...
I hear ya!
2.gif

Actually, when that was said to me, I took it as quite a compliment because the only Jewish girl who I knew at the time was very pretty!
1.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:23:20 AM
Author: TravelingGal

18.gif
9.gif

To those of you who stayed on topic throughout this thread, thank you for making it a good time just like last Friday night was!
36.gif

However, a few people took this opportunity to get into a debate of their own, dealing with what does and what does not constitute racism. I stayed out of that discussion because (a) it was off-topic, (b) it is against PS rules, and (c) it''s an issue that I prefer not to discuss because I have very strong feelings on that topic.

Again, I believe this thread went well when we stayed on topic. Therefore, I will be starting another thread for Tuesday night''s debate. When I start that thread, I''m going to list very specific rules in the original post. I''m going to trust that everyone will stay on topic, keeping it light-hearted and fun like the first debate thread was. TGal, can we count on you and Amelia to referee for us again on Tuesday?

OK, lecture over!
9.gif
1.gif
Yay!
36.gif

TGal, I have to tell you: I love that you named your little girl "Amelia." When I was in high school, every kid in our Spanish class had a "Spanish name" . . . and mine was Amelia!
9.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock

Glad y''all had fun!

''there, too, also''

I was really excited and impressed when Biden responded to this by saying that Cheney will likely go down as the worst VP in the history of the United States. Overall, I thought Biden was fantastic last night. I would have preferred if he didn''t smile so much when Palin was talking, but that''s a minor point.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I apologize if this has been posted (knowing my record, it probably has
9.gif
):

Bosniaks

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:24:54 AM

18.gif
9.gif

36.gif

OK, lecture over!
9.gif
1.gif
Yay!
36.gif

TGal, I have to tell you: I love that you named your little girl ''Amelia.'' When I was in high school, every kid in our Spanish class had a ''Spanish name'' . . . and mine was Amelia!
9.gif
Ha...well I will tell you it''s not a Korean name!

We named her Amelia (for those of you who don''t know) I live in America and TGuy is from Australia. First three letters of American+last three of Australia + Amelia.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:29:54 AM
Author: EBree
I apologize if this has been posted (knowing my record, it probably has
9.gif
):

Bosniaks
Ha, funny. I googled it yesterday and you would have thought the wikipedia thing would come up (which it may have but I''m blind these days).

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:23:22 AM
Date: 10/3/2008 11:21:47 AM

Hehe.

35.gif
20.gif

29.gif

33.gif

Haha. I could tell you what people ''think'' it looks like, but I don''t know if we''re crossing some sort of PS rules by discussing stereotypes...
I hear ya!
2.gif

Actually, when that was said to me, I took it as quite a compliment because the only Jewish girl who I knew at the time was very pretty!
1.gif

This always irked me too, because Jewish is a *religion*. When people ask me my ancestry, and I tell them eastern Europe, I almost always hear "but your Jewish, right?"
Yeah, but you can''t be from there. Not a country!
29.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:29:23 AM

Glad y''all had fun!

''there, too, also''

I was really excited and impressed when Biden responded to this by saying that Cheney will likely go down as the worst VP in the history of the United States. Overall, I thought Biden was fantastic last night. I would have preferred if he didn''t smile so much when Palin was talking, but that''s a minor point.
This is one of those things that should just be obvious. The guy SHOT SOMEONE while in office, for Heaven''s sake!!!
23.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:30:22 AM

18.gif
9.gif

36.gif

OK, lecture over!
9.gif
1.gif
Yay!
36.gif

TGal, I have to tell you: I love that you named your little girl ''Amelia.'' When I was in high school, every kid in our Spanish class had a ''Spanish name'' . . . and mine was Amelia!
9.gif

We named her Amelia (for those of you who don''t know) I live in America and TGuy is from Australia. First three letters of American+last three of Australia + Amelia.
That is so cool!
9.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:30:22 AM

18.gif
9.gif

36.gif

OK, lecture over!
9.gif
1.gif
Yay!
36.gif

9.gif

Awww that is sooo cool!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:32:45 AM
Author: iluvcarats

This always irked me too, because Jewish is a *religion*. When people ask me my ancestry, and I tell them eastern Europe, I almost always hear ''but your Jewish, right?''
29.gif
Yeah, that''s another big one.

I used to tell them I was from Eastern Jewistan.

On occasion, people would ask where that was.
33.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:40:45 AM

This always irked me too, because Jewish is a *religion*. When people ask me my ancestry, and I tell them eastern Europe, I almost always hear ''but your Jewish, right?''
29.gif

33.gif
ROFL! Elle, is that anywhere near Pockiston? LOL!
9.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:47:22 AM

29.gif

33.gif
9.gif
Haha! Actually, I think Palin can see it from her front porch...

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:49:10 AM

Date: 10/3/2008 11:47:22 AM

29.gif

33.gif
9.gif
Haha! Actually, I think Palin can see it from her front porch...
Zing! LOL!
36.gif
9.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
After reading many summaries and reading quotes, I simply can''t resist; since when is sharing a border with Canada grounds to claim foreign policy experience? What, Alaskans need to be on guard against an invasion of Poutine? Melted cheese curds are clearly a grave risk of cultural infiltration.

*bonks head on desk* Canada? Seriously?

The only way a claim like that would make any remote resemblance to sense is if it were, say, Detroit where they have constant co-operation and crises involving medical/emergency transport across the border and collusion on security. Even then, Canada?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Biden has 35 years of experience. I''m honestly suprised he didn''t blow her out of the water and IMO he didn''t.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 12:10:58 AM

storm..don''t you know that if someone disagrees with the policy''s and ideology of the left they are ignorant and uneducated...so, she can''t be smart
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll be good next time, Irish-promise!
12.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 1:27:33 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Biden has 35 years of experience. I''m honestly suprised he didn''t blow her out of the water and IMO he didn''t.
I know what you mean, but I don''t think he could, and have it be received well. I mean, obviously he was capable, but if he did, the undecideds might interpret that as bullying/unfairly attacking her. He had to play it safe, which is what he did. And all''s well, he still came out the clear winner.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 1:37:38 PM
Author: Ellen

I know what you mean, but I don''t think he could, and have it be received well. I mean, obviously he was capable, but if he did, the undecideds might interpret that as bullying/unfairly attacking her. He had to play it safe, which is what he did. And all''s well, he still came out the clear winner.

that could be true. I just think he could have had some type of line that could have been a knock out punch.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 1:33:36 PM
Author: thing2of2
I''ll be good next time, Irish-promise!
12.gif
Why, thank you, Thing! (I just said that in my best Morticia Addams voice! LOL!)
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
And that''s really the point. Why didn''t he?

If anything, it was a draw. Biden sounded good, if you don''t know that he had several outright fabrications in his "Obama voted this way, McCain voted that way" answers. Which wasn''t all that smart, since everyone can read/look up the Congressional Record. She was, IMO, much too ''folksy'', but for some reason that stuff plays well across America. Go figure. She out and out avoided answering some questions; and while I don''t think that''s a bad ''strategy'' in a campaign, once again it doesn''t serve the American people who want all politicians to just ''spit it out'' and be clear about it.

I think, with 35 years in the Senate, that Mr. Biden could have something, anything that he could point to -- positively -- that he has accomplished in those years. If he has, why haven''t we heard about his record? I suppose we could all reseach his background, but shouldn''t the Obama camp provide some ''feel good'' info about their Veep? Here we had a thoroughly entrenched senior senator during the eight year Bush debacle, as were many other Democrats, why couldn''t our Senate (or Congress) get their act together in those years?

She obviously got under his skin, and he wasn''t able to prevent himself from reacting; which was a mistake in television. He had no comeback when she pointed out his derogatory comments about Obama, back when he himself was a candidate. And really, if he had those misgivings then, why is he the VP for Obama now? Must our politicians always lay aside their personal convictions to serve their Party''s agenda? Or do you suppose he thinks it''s at least his foot in the Oval Office door?

Let''s face facts. If you''re a Dem, or a Republican, you already know how you will vote. You already think you know who ''won'' the debate. But the ''undecideds'' still don''t have the clear answers they need, because both camps are being quite vague about the HOW of getting their ''plans'' to work for the American people.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results