shape
carat
color
clarity

Debate the VP DEBATE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:01:26 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 10/2/2008 11:00:04 PM

Author: neatfreak

Date: 10/2/2008 10:58:20 PM

*sigh*

Anyway back to the ''debate''...I watched it on NBC and was listening to some of the commentary. I''m shocked that people (and not conservatives) are either calling it a good night for both of them or ''palin''s night!'' Wow....

How can they say that...she didn''t answer most questions and when she did, most of the time she made no sense.
33.gif
I WILL say that her sound bites were better than normal for her, but at the same time, she just made no sense.

They said she knew how to ''debate'' which DOES mean answering only what you want to answer, spinning, and skirting around questions you don''t like, and doing it somewhat skillfully.

Yes, expectations were low, but I was still surprised to hear all the positive reviews so far.

Guess if that is your definition of being good at debating...it''s certainly not MY definition of being good at debating!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 10:51:54 PM
Author: luckystar112
Date: 10/2/2008 10:48:26 PM

Author: MoonWater

Call me biased (which has jack to do with Dems v Republicans, I''ve taken Soc courses on both race and gender), I knew exactly what you were talking about and it wasn''t offensive. I think, based on what Lucky said has happened to her recently, she is sensitive to it. I would love to post a really great Tim Wise article which addresses a similar situation (white girl was abused by blacks because she was white), but it would be pointless. Her feelings were hurt and no amount of knowledge regarding the facts of Sociology will help. I think it would be best to just ignore her when you realize she is personally offended. Otherwise this could go on forever.

Huh...do you mean Sarah? I''m confused.

Or are you talking about the story I just told about a co-worker?

My bad, I thought you were offering a story on her behalf. I read it wrong.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:00:49 PM
Author: mimzy

*sigh*

Anyway back to the ''debate''...I watched it on NBC and was listening to some of the commentary. I''m shocked that people (and not conservatives) are either calling it a good night for both of them or ''palin''s night!'' Wow....

i know!! we were on NBC too. we thought it was a fluke for the first two or three people that commented that way....after like the fifth we''ve switched to CNN.

wtf? she didn''t bomb but she didn''t dazzle. she only answered half the questions! i guess the bar was just set so low that par for the course a mind blowing victory
Well, I thought with the women they brought on to commentate, she would get reamed, but maybe it IS because they were women? Who knows?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:02:47 PM

Date: 10/2/2008 11:01:26 PM

Date: 10/2/2008 11:00:04 PM

*sigh*

How can they say that...she didn''t answer most questions and when she did, most of the time she made no sense.
33.gif
I WILL say that her sound bites were better than normal for her, but at the same time, she just made no sense.

They said she knew how to ''debate'' which DOES mean answering only what you want to answer, spinning, and skirting around questions you don''t like, and doing it somewhat skillfully.

Yes, expectations were low, but I was still surprised to hear all the positive reviews so far.

Guess if that is your definition of being good at debating...it''s certainly not MY definition of being good at debating!
My definition is making the other person look stoopid.
41.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
She let loose a string of memorized talking points. If that impresses some, so be it. It doesn''t impress me whatsoever.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I want Palin to debate Christopher Hitchens.
31.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back to the real debate-I agree, TGal! I don''t think she did that well, but I think that expectations were so low that simply not completely bombing is enough to get good reviews.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one has really said anything bad about Biden on CNN, but even the Repubs have been saying that she didn''t do so great.

Seriously, expectations for her performance were about an inch off the ground. I think she did some mediocre/siding on bad "debating" which is GREAT for her.

I don''t think any Repubs are overwhelmingly enchanted with her...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:04:50 PM
31.gif

That''d be a trainwreck. He''d make her cry in, oh, less than a minute.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:02:59 PM

*sigh*

i know!! we were on NBC too. we thought it was a fluke for the first two or three people that commented that way....after like the fifth we''ve switched to CNN.

wtf? she didn''t bomb but she didn''t dazzle. she only answered half the questions! i guess the bar was just set so low that par for the course a mind blowing victory
Well, I thought with the women they brought on to commentate, she would get reamed, but maybe it IS because they were women? Who knows?

maybe....it is pretty surprising that they would be so transparent about it. it''s almost hard to believe that it would be because of that, but i can''t really think of anything else! because she certainly didn''t impress me to the extent that they did those women.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:04:06 PM
Author: EBree
She let loose a string of memorized talking points. If that impresses some, so be it. It doesn''t impress me whatsoever.

Ditto, and I''m not just being a hater. She just refused to answer questions...it was a perfect example of a slippery politician!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:05:19 PM

31.gif

Hehe. Completely.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:05:19 PM

31.gif

But it would make me so happy! And I''d pee my pants laughing!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think she knows what an Achilles heel is. I don't think she had a clue about that.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock

*sigh*

wtf? she didn''t bomb but she didn''t dazzle. she only answered half the questions! i guess the bar was just set so low that par for the course was a mind blowing victory

Isn''t it scary that we HAD to lower the bar so low for a VP candidate, because of Palin? What does that say about the future of this country, if her team wins?
7.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

I thought she was looking for other job opportunities with referring to her resume every two seconds. It was the answer to almost every question.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s impressive. However...

She knows she is not fooling ANYONE re: her experience. Neither does her camp. What she had to do in this debate was not look like a total moron. She had to regurgitate the best she could the info she crammed and not make a gaffe. Yes, that means the bar was set awfully low.

But that bar was set by all the people that mock her (myself included). If so many didn''t call her stupid, then would we have expected her to do so poorly in the debate?

I am impressed for only one reason...I was never a good crammer and she managed to memorize a lot of information she didn''t know a whit about, say it with the "style" she chose (annoying to many, I know) and did it in a very high pressure, national stage which she has never been on before.

I liked Biden though. Biden for Prez. Hehehe.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thing - me being educated is very scary to people who expect all leaning conservative people to be uneducated and start attacking on that. I get stereotyped very often. There''s your answer. Keep thinking it''s my fault. Keep thinking it''s allllll me and enjoy it. Tgal (ref) and Irish (lovely thread starter) - sorry for any negativity I kept going, I apologize for that as that was not the intention of this thread. And since it seems Thing and I can''t stand to be in the same place as each other (which I know she will blame on me and others will agree with) I will actually step out now since it''s all silly anyway. Aside from that, I do agree with you on one thing Moon, this would clearly go on forever.

So anyway sorry for the delay in my reply - I wanted to choose my words carefully and I had fun y''all! :) I''ll talk to you all later, hope you have a good night!
35.gif
5.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Biden referred to his time on the senate a lot...

You work with what you''ve got.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:07:49 PM

I thought she was looking for other job opportunities with referring to her resume every two seconds. It was the answer to almost every question.
Isn''t it funny? NBC said this debate was all about Biden and he kept only talking about himself and his resume. I am a republican but I totally saw the opposite.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:07:14 PM
Author: zhuzhu

Isn''t it scary that we HAD to lower the bar so low for a VP candidate, because of Palin? What does that say about the future of this country, if her team wins?
7.gif
It means we all invest in oil drilling and put the housing bubble to shame. Woo hoo, drill baby drill......we''ll make a killing. I wish I were kidding, but if they won that is exactly what I would do. How could I not? It''s like free money.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:09:47 PM
Author: luckystar112
Biden referred to his time on the senate a lot...

You work with what you've got.

Yes, in relation to the question. He could do that, she couldn't. She brought up her resume as a default when she obviously didn't know the answer.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:09:28 PM

She knows she is not fooling ANYONE re: her experience. Neither does her camp. What she had to do in this debate was not look like a total moron. She had to regurgitate the best she could the info she crammed and not make a gaffe. Yes, that means the bar was set awfully low.

I completely agree. The above was my answer to why people might be calling tonight "Palin''s night."
10.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:11:11 PM

Date: 10/2/2008 11:09:28 PM

I completely agree. The above was my answer to why people might be calling tonight ''Palin''s night.''
10.gif
It''s Palin''s night because she didn''t make this VP debate a major issue. Now we can focus on the rest of the presidential debates and she can avoid Katie Couric for a few more weeks.
41.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
The CBS poll of undecideds had Biden winning the debate 46-21, with 33 percent calling it a tie. But few votes were moved as as result. Among the undecideds, 18 percent committed to Obama, and 10 percent committed to McCain, but 71 percent remained uncommitted.

Biden won the CNN and CBS focus groups. Palin won the Luntz focus group. The candidates tied in the Halperin focus group.

Source

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:09:43 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Thing - me being educated is very scary to people who expect all leaning conservative people to be uneducated and start attacking on that. I get stereotyped very often. There''s your answer. Keep thinking it''s my fault. Keep thinking it''s allllll me and enjoy it. Tgal (ref) and Irish (lovely thread starter) - sorry for any negativity I kept going, I apologize for that as that was not the intention of this thread. And since it seems Thing and I can''t stand to be in the same place as each other (which I know she will blame on me and others will agree with) I will actually step out now since it''s all silly anyway. Aside from that, I do agree with you on one thing Moon, this would clearly go on forever.

So anyway sorry for the delay in my reply - I wanted to choose my words carefully and I had fun y''all! :) I''ll talk to you all later, hope you have a good night!
35.gif
5.gif

Thanks for clarifying the educated comment!

And now it''s my turn to clarify-I can certainly stand to be in the same place as you...it''s clear that you''re the one who can''t stand to be around me. But don''t worry-that doesn''t offend me, and I don''t take it personally!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:14:22 PM
The CBS poll of undecideds had Biden winning the debate 46-21, with 33 percent calling it a tie. But few votes were moved as as result. Among the undecideds, 18 percent committed to Obama, and 10 percent committed to McCain, but 71 percent remained uncommitted.

Biden won the CNN and CBS focus groups. Palin won the Luntz focus group. The candidates tied in the Halperin focus group.

Source
What were the Luntz group drinking?
9.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:09:43 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

35.gif
5.gif

I think often times people who are insulted or picked on outside of these boards bring it in here and assume posters are doing the same. I saw nothing in Thing''s response to you that indicated that she thought you were some typical uneducated conservative (or whatever stereotype). So that''s unfair. I do believe that because you are picked on you are hypersensitive when you get into these discussions. I don''t get the impression that Thing can''t stand you, I get the feeling that she''s passionate about her beliefs and wants to understand the opposing view. She comes off strongly but so do a lot of other people (not just Dems). You can always ignore her if you really think her intention is to personally insult you. However, I don''t think that''s it at all.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:13:23 PM

Now we can focus on the rest of the presidential debates and she can avoid Katie Couric for a few more weeks.
41.gif

Katie and her evil trapdoor questions.
11.gif
9.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 11:16:07 PM
Date: 10/2/2008 11:13:23 PM

Now we can focus on the rest of the presidential debates and she can avoid Katie Couric for a few more weeks.
41.gif

Katie and her evil trapdoor questions.
11.gif
9.gif

Look, it''s not like Sarah couldn''t ask for a life line. Geez.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results