shape
carat
color
clarity

Daniel K asscher ring temptation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 9:47:02 PM
Author: widget

Author: Mara
but the bad taste in my mouth would keep me from buying that 2.19.
Good grief. Isn't Isaku having enough trouble as it is making up her mind?

I think the bad taste in YOUR mouth (not hers!) should stay there and should have been kept to yourself.

widget
Yes, Isaku is having quite a tough time making up her mind.........so? All of the sudden, five pages into the post, it's Mara's comment that's going to tip the proverbial applecart? Gee, hard to fathom that.

Is there some time table by which she has to make up her mind to satisfy you? Who cares how long it takes her? It should take her however long it takes for her to be comfortable with it. TierHog posted here vascillating for weeks, and no one seemed to have a problem with that. (And I don't think they should have, either....whatever it takes to make him comfortable.)

The opening posting by Isaku in this thread was "What do you think? Should I even consider another asscher when I think I've found the perfect one?". Given that query, it's MORE than appropriate for Mara (or anyone else) to offer commentary on anything she thinks might provide insight or relevance.
38.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 9:47:02 PM

but the bad taste in my mouth would keep me from buying that 2.19.
Good grief. Isn't Isaku having enough trouble as it is making up her mind?

I think the bad taste in YOUR mouth (not hers!) should stay there and should have been kept to yourself.

widget
Well, I think your rude comment could have been kept to yourself...
38.gif
Seems we are at thinking odds?

Yes it's a bad taste in MY mouth. So what. Isaku can do whatever she wants AND we'd still love her asscher, her ring, her decision, whatever.

However, this IS an open forum with PUBLIC threads on what people think and their opinions. Obviously YOUR opinion is that I should just not have an opinion? That'll be the day.

She is spending alot of money on this stone. Sure she should consider the options. However, I think it's shady that this other vendor suddenly has a ring/stone that fits what she wants and she can suddenly get a 'special deal'. Why wasn't that special deal brought up a week or two ago when this started?

YOU have made it abundantly clear in this particular thread what you think she should pursue with your multiple comments on 'oh what is this special deal' or 'oh i still want to know what the special deal is'...however I disagree. This vendor could have this asscher for $1 with the setting for another $1 for the deal of the century, and I would still say *I* wouldn't take advantage of it. Big deal. That's just me. But I'm not buying. To your chagrin though, I *am* allowed to speak my thoughts on the matter.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So... you like which look Blueroses? This one with eight baguettes:
Gypsy%20Ring%20Perfect.jpg

Or this other one with twelve:

Gypsy%20Irina%202.jpg

Irina photoshoped both of them. The one with eight isn't going to work with a diamond Isaku's size... it would be too hard (and possibly cot prohibitive ) to find four matched baguettes of adequate length.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input; I really appreciate it.
35.gif

The decision still rests on how comfortable I am with the setter''s ability to do a top notch job custom-making a difficult setting ;the price of the finished ring; and DK''s willingness to do the setting if the price is right.

Another option I have is to take the 2.26 and have it set by a jeweller in Toronto. I would have to search out an adept setter and that might be difficult too, but at least I could keep my eye on the project.

More food for thought.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Oh. Well Poo-y!!! Gypsy, I was getting yours and Isaku''s confused. I prefer it with 8 vs. 12. But if it''s not possible with the larger asscher, then it doesn''t matter--the 12 bag one would still be lovely. Oops!!

I fully respect that many on here wouldn''t want to go with the "deal of the century" thing. I get that, and I know there''s lots I do not know about particular vendors.

BUT......

My curiosity would still want to know what this DEAL was, even if I was like 98% on the GOG and Quest Custom, I''d want to know. Because I''m a masochist. That''s just me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blueroses, I thought you might be confusing the two a bit, which is understandable as they are similar. But I just wanted to check.
2.gif

Isaku, everyone is obviously interested in what you decide as we all love a good project. LOL at me offering you up as the design sacrifice on the other thread. I didn''t mean the way it came out.
3.gif
I think you are in a no lose situation, either way you will get a lovely ring, and you just have to see what makes you the most comfortable.
5.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 10:26:20 PM
Author: isaku5
Thanks everyone for your input; I really appreciate it.
35.gif

The decision still rests on how comfortable I am with the setter''s ability to do a top notch job custom-making a difficult setting ;the price of the finished ring; and DK''s willingness to do the setting if the price is right.

Another option I have is to take the 2.26 and have it set by a jeweller in Toronto. I would have to search out an adept setter and that might be difficult too, but at least I could keep my eye on the project.

More food for thought.

you certainly do have a lot to think about
1.gif
A love a good deal, especially when I can get a designer "something" for a great price. However, I would probably pass on any deal offered by this vendor
7.gif
I guess if it were me, I''d at least try to find a custom vendor who''s made the ring like Ice store. It''s going to be pricey but there would be no guess work on how it will turn out. The extra $ for the skills already mastered by them would be worth it, but that''s me. That or buy the DK from another DK vendor, sure you might not get the deal of the century but you''ll be supporting a vendor with integrity.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Mara....

Oh....I guess I was rude....and I'm sorry. Truly. I guess I just popped off impulsively. I just hated seeing this thread go where it appeared to be heading. But you and Alj are right...this is an open forum.

Date: 6/7/2006 10:14:58 PM
YOU have made it abundantly clear in this particular thread what you think she should pursue
....abundantly clear to you, perhaps. The truth is I'm not sure which way I'd ultimately go if I were were in her shoes. The bigger stone is astonishing looking and it's...well...bigger.

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Blueroses,

I''m with you on both aspects: I am not familiar with the business practices of many vendors on either forum, but I am certainly willing to explore all the possibilities before I make the final move.

I thank each and every one of you for your helpful advice trying to steer me in the right direction.

If I could have the best of all possible solutions, it would be the 2.26 in the Gypsy setting made by someone who had lots of experience working with trap/bag halos. I doubt very much that that ideal scenario will play out, but that would be perfect.
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 10:44:22 PM
Blueroses,

I''m with you on both aspects: I am not familiar with the business practices of many vendors on either forum, but I am certainly willing to explore all the possibilities before I make the final move.

I thank each and every one of you for your helpful advice trying to steer me in the right direction.

If I could have the best of all possible solutions, it would be the 2.26 in the Gypsy setting made by someone who had lots of experience working with trap/bag halos. I doubt very much that that ideal scenario will play out, but that would be perfect.
36.gif

You never know what will transpire! I am sending out the vibes to you! :)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Isaku, looking at your avatar again just made me swoon: I think it''d be hard to top that gorgeous stone!!!

You are going to end up with a beautiful ring no matter which direction the road takes you and we will all drool over it with pleasure!! I hope the solution becomes clear soon!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 10:36:30 PM
Mara....

Oh....I guess I was rude....and I''m sorry. Truly. I guess I just popped off impulsively. I just hated seeing this thread go where it appeared to be heading. But you and Alj are right...this is an open forum.

Date: 6/7/2006 10:14:58 PM
YOU have made it abundantly clear in this particular thread what you think she should pursue
....abundantly clear to you, perhaps. The truth is I''m not sure which way I''d ultimately go if I were were in her shoes. The bigger stone is astonishing looking and it''s...well...bigger.

widget

I like the bigger stone, too.....something about the look of that one just speaks to me. I''m pretty sure I''d go that way....but I''m not a nit-picker, so custom wouldn''t be as risky a thought for me. If I were picky, though......WOW, tough call then. It''s a bitch when you can''t have everything you want......choice of perfect stone AND perfect setting.

Honestly, I really think it''s gonna have to come down to Isaku taking her own "mental temperature" and being really honest with herself about what *she* can live with. Good luck to you on that, Isaku.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 9:33:14 PM
Author: decodelighted
I think the vendor in question has a similar smaller ring posted - labeled as Daniel K - that looks ''wonky'' to me. And by ''wonky'' I mean it doesn''t look like the center stone is set symetrically INSIDE the halo -- so the whole thing seemed ''off'' to me, way back when ... despite its too-good-to-be-true seeming 12K-ish price.

Did you see the ring I''m referring to, Isuku? Did you perceive the same "off-ness" about it that I did ... just curious - as I know you''ve confessed to us about being an uber-perfectionist when it comes to jewelry!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the good vibes, diamond fan. I can feel them coming through
36.gif

As several PSers have pointed out, I am in a no lose situation and very grateful for that.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 10:54:05 PM

I think the vendor in question has a similar smaller ring posted - labeled as Daniel K - that looks ''wonky'' to me. And by ''wonky'' I mean it doesn''t look like the center stone is set symetrically INSIDE the halo -- so the whole thing seemed ''off'' to me, way back when ... despite its too-good-to-be-true seeming 12K-ish price.

Did you see the ring I''m referring to, Isuku? Did you perceive the same ''off-ness'' about it that I did ... just curious - as I know you''ve confessed to us about being an uber-perfectionist when it comes to jewelry!!

deco, i saw it and agree with you. I believe the stone Isaku would get is not yet set and would be off to DK for the setting.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 10:54:05 PM

Did you see the ring I''m referring to, Isuku? Did you perceive the same ''off-ness'' about it that I did ... just curious - as I know you''ve confessed to us about being an uber-perfectionist when it comes to jewelry!!
Deco m''dear, I DID see it!!! It looked off--almost like it''d been photshopped in there at an off angle. Just wonky, as you said.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely Wonky. And that 12K price shocked the heck out of me.

Isaku, have you talked to Icestore about your setting? Someone mentioned them, and it reminded me that they do a version of the baguette halo that is posted on their site. Years ago, when I first started looking at theses halo''s I contacted them about it and at that time they did not have a problem with making a custom setting more like the one I wanted (as opposed to thiers) with the asscher I already owned. I didn''t querry them again because their prices are higher than Quests and I knew that... but since your setting is already going to cost a mint either way... thought I''d mention it to you. They are a PS vendor and have a solid reputation. It doesn''t hurt to make a call or drop them an email, while your wating.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isaku,
Good luck deciding. I feel that the 2.26 ( sorry forgotten the weight at this point ) is one of the nicest asschers I have seen in a long time. Check out the DK ring , see if that stone sings to you as this one did. I do love the detail of his settings. Going custom isn''t an easy road, but for me one I''m glad I traveled. You''ll end up with a gorgeous ring either way, that I know. Lisa
1.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 9:21:24 PM
PERSONALLY and this is just me....there are some vendors that are not PS vendors but are well-known out there, that i would not work with. why? because i have seen how they conduct themselves, conduct business, etc. there is a reason that some well-known vendors are not PS vendors.

i know that the vendor who has the 2.19 does read PS. so it''s not far fetched to say that maybe they were lurking/reading, saw that a competitor, aka GOG, got a big sale and thought oh well damn I missed out on that one, let me suddenly see if I can salvage the sale and offer a ''knock your socks off'' used car salesman approach and see if she will bite.
20.gif

call me a cynic, but i have been on PS a long time and have seen alot. that is why my hunch was right to begin with. SO you may not be wearing the transaction on your hand for life...but again there are a few vendors i would not work with, which is a shame because they haveBEAUTIFUL stones BUT, i don''t like how they have conducted themselves and their business in the past. i''m sure they could care less if i buy from them so it''s not like i''m making some big impact, but i just wouldn''t feel right handing over my hard-earned money to someone who was a wacko or just plain rude. that''s just me. i can vote with my money and i do.

in the end, whatever you do, we will ooh and ahh over your pictures regardless. i just had to put that out there as my two heavy cents on the whole thing. i think both asschers look lovely but i know nothing about them, just like looking at the sparkly pictures. but the bad taste in my mouth would keep me from buying that 2.19.

Mara has hit the nail on the head as usual for me. I had a vendor in mind in my first post in this thread, and I was wrong about who it was - I apologise for that, if the vendor is reading. When it turned out that it wasn''t a PS vendor, I sorta guessed who it was, but yeah, it doesn''t surprise me that they would resort to tactics like this.

Isaku, what we offered here are our opinions - you sound like a woman who knows what she wants, and I have no doubt you will stick to your guns when it comes right down to it, so don''t worry about what we think - it''s YOUR ring, and you will end up with something gorgeous, no matter which way you go.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
On a side note - this is the first time I''ve seen a side view of the setting:
31.gif

dk210 asscher ring side view.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 11:09:43 PM
Author: Gypsy

Isaku, have you talked to Icestore about your setting? Someone mentioned them, and it reminded me that they do a version of the baguette halo that is posted on their site. Years ago, when I first started looking at theses halo''s I contacted them about it and at that time they did not have a problem with making a custom setting more like the one I wanted (as opposed to thiers) with the asscher I already owned. I didn''t querry them again because their prices are higher than Quests and I knew that... but since your setting is already going to cost a mint either way... thought I''d mention it to you. They are a PS vendor and have a solid reputation. It doesn''t hurt to make a call or drop them an email, while your wating.
Gypsy...I contacted Ariel at the IceStore, and while he was extremely helpful, I had trouble finding an asscher that spoke to me like the 2.26 or the 2.19.

His baguette setting is gorgeous, but he will set only diamonds he has sold.

I really don''t want to complicate matters any more by contacting him again right now although why not, he may have a great asscher now.
9.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 11:35:20 PM
Author: JadeLeaves
On a side note - this is the first time I''ve seen a side view of the setting:
31.gif
Hi JL... This is not the usual side view for this setting. The usual one is much plainer- hope the attachment works.

I would much prefer the plainer one - no hearts, please.

daniel K side view.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. OY! What have I done. You are going to corner the market on asschers around 2 carats...lol. Ariel will only set ones he sells now huh? Too bad. Oh well.

I KNOW. You can buy me MY setting, and I'll go first!! Then you can see how it turns out and decide if you want Quest to do it.
11.gif
17.gif

*snicker*
16.gif

IF it's legal... I'll drive your ring over for you, in exchange. *snort*
11.gif
11.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 11:17:02 PM
Author: kaleigh
Isaku,
Good luck deciding. I feel that the 2.26 ( sorry forgotten the weight at this point ) is one of the nicest asschers I have seen in a long time. Check out the DK ring , see if that stone sings to you as this one did. I do love the detail of his settings. Going custom isn''t an easy road, but for me one I''m glad I traveled. You''ll end up with a gorgeous ring either way, that I know. Lisa
1.gif
kaleigh/Lisa,

You always have some comforting words. Thank you so much.
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 11:40:54 PM

Gypsy...I contacted Ariel at the IceStore, and while he was extremely helpful, I had trouble finding an asscher that spoke to me like the 2.26 or the 2.19.

I really don''t want to complicate matters any more by contacting him again right now although why not, he may have a great asscher now.
9.gif

I''d try asking again. maybe explain your situation and how you LOVE the setting but are worried about having just anyone make it. Maybe he''d make and exeption. I know Dimend Scassi will make exceptions from time to time and has the same policy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 11:52:08 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 6/7/2006 11:40:54 PM

9.gif

I''d try asking again. maybe explain your situation and how you LOVE the setting but are worried about having just anyone make it. Maybe he''d make and exeption. I know Dimend Scassi will make exceptions from time to time and has the same policy.

Heck... refer him to your two posts. LOL. That should sway him.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, mrssalvo. Ariel may be the answer I''ve been looking for.

I can beg, plead, throw myself at his mercy; all he can do is say NO.

What have I got to lose?????
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 11:58:31 PM
Thanks again, mrssalvo. Ariel may be the answer I''ve been looking for.

I can beg, plead, throw myself at his mercy; all he can do is say NO.

What have I got to lose?????
9.gif

exactly
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What no comment on my proposal? It''s an alternative as well. *snicker*
11.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 12:03:41 AM
What no comment on my proposal? It''s an alternative as well. *snicker*
11.gif
Sorry Gypsy,

For once I have no comment.
11.gif

Are there satisfied PS customers'' names I could "drop" when talking to Ariel ??????
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results