shape
carat
color
clarity

Daniel K asscher ring temptation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 5:19:56 PM
Author: isaku5
fearing Storm''s wrath
29.gif

mean old storm huh

39.gif
20.gif

Ya can do what you want and its no skin off my teeth.
I just call em the way I see em and if someone listens then thats kewl if someone dont thats kewl too.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/7/2006 3:28:08 PM
Hi londonblue,

The sapphire centre will be gorgeous!
9.gif

The DK asscher I spoke of is a generic, I''m pretty sure, but I don''t see why he wouldn''t use RA''s as well.
Daniel K''s supplier is not an RA certified manufacturer, he is not allowed to use that name....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

hehe i was right about my hunch on who the ''knock your socks off'' vendor was.

12.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 6:08:37 PM
Author: Mara

hehe i was right about my hunch on who the ''knock your socks off'' vendor was.

12.gif

OK, tell us dense folks who it is!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 5:50:17 PM
Author: strmrdr
As I said not in the same class....
OK, Storm, you''re way ahead of me as usual
9.gif

What''s wrong with the 2.19, or will the list go on and on.....OK, I''m ready!
14.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 5:43:31 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 6/7/2006 5:19:56 PM
Update re DK asscher ( if you''re still with me on this):

I saw a picture of the 2.19 asscher on the vendor''s site, but am afraid to post it here fearing Storm''s wrath
29.gif
. Btw, it looks beautiful too!

I''m wondering what the ''knock your socks off'' price will be???

I have been told by a couple of sources that hand -setting is the only way to go when trying to set a diamond into the trap/baguette halo that I''ve been considering. Valid point or not?
33.gif

Quest is fully capable of setting by hand. my entire setting made by them was by hand, no cads, wax etc. (now chronos setting). that said, they have never done a trap/baguette halo so none of us knows how it''s going to turn out, including quest. they ended up remaking my ring 2 times because they were not happy with the result. I know the have wonderful customer service and will do their absolute best. Don''t know about the stone differences. Wink just posted what he observed when viewing DK asschers in person over in the vegas thread. I''m such a setting freak that i would be hard pressed to turn down a deal on an authentic handmade DK setting and then take my chances on a cutom remake. see ''when custom is not perfect'' thread
41.gif

ETA: DK settings are all handmade/set
That''s the great unknown, mrssalvo. I really don''t want to send it back a couple of times for tweaking, or major problems with the setting.

I didn''t realize that Pete does hand made settings as well as cast.

What''s a chronos setting?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono is a PS memeber who now owns the setting quest made for me.

Yes, quest can do handmade work as well as cast. My issue would be the setting you want looks very difficult. 1) Quest has never made it, which would make me very nervous. 2) I read here that Leon doesn''t even like making them and doesn''t want to any longer. 3) I think it was mentioned that Dk might stop making it because it is time consuming and difficult. I also think that the complexity might be why we don''t see a lot of knock off''s out there. The few who make them have to be skilled and the price will reflect the labor and difficulty. The setting to me is just as important as the stone itself. It''s really up to you and your personally comfort level.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, mrssalvo. The concerns you raise are exactly the same as those that worry me.

Being in Canada, it''s even more of a concern if the ring has to go back and forth through customs$$$.

Too bad one can''t have the best of both worlds - the 2.26 asscher in a setting that the designer has made a few times. Hopefully, the experimentation period would be over and all the quirks worked out.

Storm must be preparing a long list of faults with the 2.19, but I admire his expertise on asscher cuts and am very willing to consider his critique; in fact I''m anxious to hear the gory details.

If anyone else has an opinion pro or con, I''m interested in hearing it.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 5:51:02 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 6/7/2006 5:42:04 PM
Author: Virginia

Date: 6/7/2006 4:23:15 PM
Author: Gypsy

Definitely a lady after my own heart. I wish I could see that presentation of yours and the supporting docs.
If Pete has the files still, you can tell him that he can email them to you If you want. Just tell him you want to put something similar together for him. My real name is Elizabeth, he knows me well....
Elizabeth, hi. I''m Layla. I just may ask Pete for that, because it sounds like a great idea.

Isaku, don''t fear anyone''s wrath. You do what your gut tells you is the best thing to do. If you love the Daniel K... then go for it.
9.gif
Hi Gypsy,

Mrssalvo''s comments regarding the thread "when custom isn''t perfect" gave me a lot to consider ( read, scared me witless).We both know we''re nit-picking control freaks and that the smallest of flaws sticks out to us like a sore thumb.
14.gif

It was nice of you to offer up my initial experience with Quest doing my ring as a test case. Hehehe.

After Storm responded by not describing the 2.19 as ''kicken'' or ''kewl'', nobody else has chimed in.

Lots of you PSers are asscher fanatics, please tell me where its faults lie. Please....please..please.
9.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have some opinions regarding asschers that is probably pretty heretical around here.
11.gif

I sometimes think they are over-analysed to death. I wonder if some of the "unkewl" asschers that have passed through here and been rejected might have been pretty darn nice. I wonder if the difference we notice and comment on between, say, the 2.19 and the 2.26 (or whatever) would be that noticable in real life...away from super magnified images.

I inherited an asscher with definitely less than perfect numbers...and it''s gorgeous.

I would be quite confident that a "DK-approved" asscher would be absolutely lovely.

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 7:49:32 PM
Author: widget
Well, I have some opinions regarding asschers that is probably pretty heretical around here.
11.gif

I sometimes think they are over-analysed to death. I wonder if some of the ''unkewl'' asschers that have passed through here and been rejected might have been pretty darn nice. I wonder if the difference we notice and comment on between, say, the 2.19 and the 2.26 (or whatever) would be that noticable in real life...away from super magnified images.

I inherited an asscher with definitely less than perfect numbers...and it''s gorgeous.

I would be quite confident that a ''DK-approved'' asscher would be absolutely lovely.

widget
Thanks widget for stepping up to the plate. No one else has offered to do just that. Maybe it''s because I''ve used up too much of everyone''s time already.
14.gif

I have admired your gorgeous asscher many times and I''m sure it''s even more special because it was your mom''s.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 7:30:32 PM
After Storm responded by not describing the 2.19 as ''kicken'' or ''kewl'', nobody else has chimed in. Lots of you PSers are asscher fanatics, please tell me where its faults lie. Please....please..please.

Ummm. *softly* I don''t see any faults with that stone. It looks pretty "kewl" and "kicken" to me ... and, with everything I heard & read about Daniel K ... I hold their stone selection & craftsmanship in high regard. (As further evidenced by Mrssalvo''s in person inspection/craving & Wink''s recent perusal of "the goods" at JCK)

I think people (myself included) are just hesitant to encourage you to "let the bully win". The "bully" being the vendor who butted in to offer a "drop dead" yet unknown price after you''d already settled on a showstopping stone. That doesn''t *feel* good to me. It doesn''t seem *fair*.

But you won''t be wearing *the transaction* on your right hand forever after ... so ...

Am VERY curious what the asking price will be (especially if Daniel K really is discontinuing that style ... can you say ... collectors item? MORE rare!)

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 8:01:15 PM
Author: decodelighted

I think people.... are just hesitant to encourage you to 'let the bully win'. The 'bully' being the vendor who butted in to offer a 'drop dead' yet unknown price after you'd already settled on a showstopping stone.

But you won't be wearing *the transaction* on your right hand forever after ... so ...
Well said Deco! My (ambivalent) feelings exactly!
1.gif

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, decodelighted,

Something I should clear up at the outset is that this vendor is NOT the bad guy in this case at all. I had contacted that vendor looking for a gorgeous asscher and setting a few weeks before I saw the GOG beauty, and they had nothing that I really liked at that time.

Fast forward to finding, having approved by fellow PSers, and paying for the 2.26, the vendor contacted me with the proposal of the 2.19 set in the baguette setting at a really good price. I had objected to their DK ring prices earlier. So it was all in the timing, unfortunately.

As you know, I have yet to find out what the proposed price will be since apparently DK is at the Vegas show, but must approve and be willing to set the 2.19 in that difficult setting which he has threatened to discontinue.

Right now, it''s a wait and see situation. Btw, thanks for your endorsement of the 2.19. I thought I had learned a fair bit about judging asschers on this forum thanks to everyone here and looking at the specs and then seeing the actual diamond, I couldn''t fault it.

Sorry for the long post.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isaku, I don''t know much about asschers so I can''t comment on the DK one. It seems that you are in a no lose situation. Keep your storm approved 2.26 and go with a custom setting or if the DK price is right, you''ll have an oportunity to purchase a gorgeous DK ring. What to you really want. What would make you 110% happy and pleased? I agree with widget that stones can be number crunched like crazy and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I used to own and OEC that would have failed any numbers test here for a round stone but it was so beautiful to me. I don''t think DK would set a "dog" stone and would be really surprised if it wasn''t stunning in person.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I''m confused. Did you post a picture/link for the DK asscher?

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
hey isaku, i would say if the price is right, get the DK =)
honestly i don''t know a thing about asscher numbers but with DK at least you know you''re getting quality craftmanship. also it would be sort of cool being a DK and all, and soon to be no longer available no less.

ps posters often seem to over analyze stones that in the end will only be compared to themselves long term (unless you''re lucky enough to own several asschers =) ). the image i posted earlier of an asscher is CZ w/ no numbers, but still looks pretty to my uneducated eye! of coruse i''ve never been lucky enough to yet compare it in person w/ real top quality asschers

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2006 8:41:08 PM
Author: indecisive
I''m confused. Did you post a picture/link for the DK asscher?
It''s the fourth post on this page.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I didn''t see anything wrong with that DK asscher... but it doesn''t look as nice to me as yours does. That''s about it though. And everyone is absolute correct about it being hugely magnified and that things look different IRL. AND the DK does have great workmanship, and less hassle.

IF I liked the settings equally, AND I could afford it ... hmm, I don''t know what I''d do.

Of course what I''d do is irrelevant. I think we''ve been influencing/ bullying you a bit. Giving you our personal feelings and since your confused already... I think we are confusing you more.

Honestly, in your position. I''d take two days off from PS or at least from this thread/ issue. And I put it out of my mind IRL too. Then on the third day, I''d see which way the wind is blowing.

If you don''t have a clear idea at that time... we''ll be happy, as always to give you our opinions.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PERSONALLY and this is just me....there are some vendors that are not PS vendors but are well-known out there, that i would not work with. why? because i have seen how they conduct themselves, conduct business, etc. there is a reason that some well-known vendors are not PS vendors.

i know that the vendor who has the 2.19 does read PS. so it's not far fetched to say that maybe they were lurking/reading, saw that a competitor, aka GOG, got a big sale and thought oh well damn I missed out on that one, let me suddenly see if I can salvage the sale and offer a 'knock your socks off' used car salesman approach and see if she will bite.
20.gif

call me a cynic, but i have been on PS a long time and have seen alot. that is why my hunch was right to begin with. SO you may not be wearing the transaction on your hand for life...but again there are a few vendors i would not work with, which is a shame because they haveBEAUTIFUL stones BUT, i don't like how they have conducted themselves and their business in the past. i'm sure they could care less if i buy from them so it's not like i'm making some big impact, but i just wouldn't feel right handing over my hard-earned money to someone who was a wacko or just plain rude. that's just me. i can vote with my money and i do.

in the end, whatever you do, we will ooh and ahh over your pictures regardless. i just had to put that out there as my two heavy cents on the whole thing. i think both asschers look lovely but i know nothing about them, just like looking at the sparkly pictures. but the bad taste in my mouth would keep me from buying that 2.19.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mara, I agree with you and would not want to reward a vendor who plays dirty with my business either. That said, most of us don''t even know who the vendor is or what type of history they have to be able to draw that conclusion. You and storm know, I thought I did but when I went to the site I couldn''t find it. If it was the vendor I thought, I wouldn''t purchase from them either, no matter how good the deal, just on pricipal.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 9:21:24 PM

SO you may not be wearing the transaction on your hand for life...but again there are a few vendors i would not work with, which is a shame because they haveBEAUTIFUL stones BUT, i don''t like how they have conducted themselves and their business in the past. i''m sure they could care less if i buy from them so it''s not like i''m making some big impact, but i just wouldn''t feel right handing over my hard-earned money to someone who was a wacko or just plain rude. that''s just me. i can vote with my money and i do.
Have to confess I feel the exact same way. There are a few vendors who have stones that I consider to be gorgeous contenders.....but I can''t bring myself to do business with them because of the way they conduct themselves. It''s like rewarding something I''m inherently against, and there are other vendors with equally beautiful goods that I can go to without compromising that. I''m a firm believer in voting with the dollar, too.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 9:26:04 PM
Author: mrssalvo
mara, I agree with you and would not want to reward a vendor who plays dirty with my business either. That said, most of us don''t even know who the vendor is or what type of history they have to be able to draw that conclusion. You and storm know, I thought I did but when I went to the site I couldn''t find it. If it was the vendor I thought, I wouldn''t purchase from them either, no matter how good the deal, just on pricipal.
I didn''t find the diamond on the vendor''s web site Mrs S...I found it on another diamond forum...they had posted about this setting that isaku wants (coincidence?) and somewhere inside of the thread on the setting they posted the ''new stone that just came in''. It was the same picture that Storm posted. It took a bit of sleuthing...hehe.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you 100% sure this would be a GENINUE Daniel K setting ... as in created by, set by, MARKED with the "Daniel K" name.

I ask that ''cause I think the vendor in question has a similar smaller ring posted - labeled as Daniel K - that looks "wonky" to me -- and if I''m not mistaken -- I believe I rejected it from pix only LAST JULY & am suprised that it might STILL be available all these months later. Of course, I could be remembering wrong - and it could be a similar stone/size etc WONKILY set the exact same way. Not sure. And by "wonky" I mean it doesn''t look like the center stone is set symetrically INSIDE the halo -- so the whole thing seemed "off" to me, way back when ... despite its too-good-to-be-true seeming 12K-ish price.

Makes me a little more "isshy" about this so-called great deal.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
In the immortal words of Bill Engvall......

"Here's your sign".
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 9:41:26 PM
Author: aljdewey
In the immortal words of Bill Engvel......

''Here''s your sign''.
2.gif
I LOVE that ''here''s your sign'' bit. ROFLMAO

widget

Ideal_Rock
but the bad taste in my mouth would keep me from buying that 2.19.
Good grief. Isn''t Isaku having enough trouble as it is making up her mind?

I think the bad taste in YOUR mouth (not hers!) should stay there and should have been kept to yourself.

widget

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
To address the OTHER topic, I''d been told that Daniel K had both RA and generic Asschers from time to time in their settings.....it''s been over a year and a half, but IIRC when I went to see some DK rings in person (at Traditional Jeweler''s in the OC) they said he used --SHOWED me-- both generic and RA b/c I specifically asked. Unless they were lying to me!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Well, the other asscher looks lovely too--although I had a stronger GUT response to the 2.26GOG one.

BUT--and here''s something I don''t know has been addressed--there''s something I like MORE about the custom project than the pre-set DK one: The straight bags. See below how the bag. halo is made up of almost equal-sized bags. vs. the Irina one which had four longer ones and tapered ones in the corner? SO below, the 4 Bigger "sides of the stop sign" are each haloed with TWO bags. I don''t like that. I like the (IMO) CLEANER look of one clean straight bag across each major side and a tapered bag at each cut corner.

My two cents.

c

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results