shape
carat
color
clarity

Daniel K asscher ring temptation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I have been contacted by a very reputable vendor who sells Daniel K designs and who wondered whether I wanted to buy a 2.19 Daniel K asscher set in the gorgeous baguette setting I''ve been admiring at a "knock your socks off price" (as yet undisclosed) instead of going through the hassle of having the 2.26 set in a setting similar to the D K one. The asscher looks good on paper, but no photo has been shown to me yet.

What do you think? Should I even consider another asscher when I think I''ve found the perfect one?

Temptation.
11.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The bait needs to be backed up with evidence first. A. What does the asscher look like, with lots of pics and an IS? B. What is the price? I wouldn''t take any action until these things are disclosed, no matter how tempting it might seem.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 5:00:13 PM
Author: FireGoddess
The bait needs to be backed up with evidence first. A. What does the asscher look like, with lots of pics and an IS? B. What is the price? I wouldn''t take any action until these things are disclosed, no matter how tempting it might seem.
I absolutely agree, FireGoddess.

I will be waiting until Monday at least because Daniel K has to be contacted re the "price"and he is in Vegas at the gem show. All I have right now are the specs of the 2.19:

F, VS1, 62% table, 67% depth, no culet, no flu, X X, 7.37 x 7.28 x 4.88mm.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
What is the status of the GOG stone? Is it purchased yet? Could you back out of that transaction?

I say go forward with discussing the Daniel K with them, but I''m going to guess that even with a "knock your socks off" price you will do better price-wise with the custom route.

But if it isn''t about price, it is about getting something *just like* the Daniel K, then how could you do better than getting an actual Daniel K????
11.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 6:34:06 PM
Author: wallermama
What is the status of the GOG stone? Is it purchased yet? Could you back out of that transaction?

I say go forward with discussing the Daniel K with them, but I''m going to guess that even with a ''knock your socks off'' price you will do better price-wise with the custom route.

But if it isn''t about price, it is about getting something *just like* the Daniel K, then how could you do better than getting an actual Daniel K????
11.gif
I have paid for the GOG asscher, but I don''t think they''d mind my backing out too much because there were two other PS''ers very interested in it if I turned it down. It is still at GOG as I was waiting for their setting quote before I had it sent to Pete at Quest for his quote.

The setting I was getting a quote on was one that Gypsy found and Irina Photoshopped.

I''ll attach pictures of both. Opinions on settings?

Picture wouldn''t attach; I''ll try again.
31.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Daniel K

Daniel K.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy/Irina

Gypsy Irina 2.jpg

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
They are both georgous but I especially like the first one! I like that it has less metal around the baguettes. Seems to compliment the stone more. You really can''t go wrong with Daniel K.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 7:02:05 PM
Author: SquareCut
They are both georgous but I especially like the first one! I like that it has less metal around the baguettes. Seems to compliment the stone more. You really can''t go wrong with Daniel K.
Thanks, SquareCut.

That''s why I''m tempted, but as has been pointed out earlier, what''s the price going to be????

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is, I am betting you will pay a big price for the name. It will be very interesting to hear the price quote, but I surely wouldn''t give up the other stone yet!

widget

Ideal_Rock
It would be hard to resist if the price is favorable....

Of course, my curiosity is piqued...who''s the dealer, and how did he reach you?
31.gif
hmmmm. (Just wondering, actually. Not asking...)

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 7:17:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
All I can say is, I am betting you will pay a big price for the name. It will be very interesting to hear the price quote, but I surely wouldn''t give up the other stone yet!
There is no way that I''m giving up the 2.26 until I see the price of the DK. By the way, does anyone know what the K stands for? Or am I the only one who doesn''t?
1.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 7:21:44 PM
Author: widget
It would be hard to resist if the price is favorable....

Of course, my curiosity is piqued...who''s the dealer, and how did he reach you?
31.gif
hmmmm. (Just wondering, actually. Not asking...)

widget
Hi widget....I guess where there''s a will, there''a way.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 7:23:09 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 6/2/2006 7:17:53 PM
There is no way that I''m giving up the 2.26 until I see the price of the DK. By the way, does anyone know what the K stands for? Or am I the only one who doesn''t?
1.gif
His name is Daniel Koren.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first setting made me say WOW. Then I started thinking that I want one of those. I''ve never been interested in that shape before. LOL

The second setting is nice but as was said it looks like there is more metal.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am simple folk--I "never say never" until I''ve seen a comparison. See the Daniel K, and then decide. What could be the harm?

cheers--Sharon

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 4:55:55 PM
Author:isaku5
I have been contacted by a very reputable vendor who sells Daniel K designs and who wondered whether I wanted to buy a 2.19 Daniel K asscher set in the gorgeous baguette setting I've been admiring at a 'knock your socks off price' (as yet undisclosed) instead of going through the hassle of having the 2.26 set in a setting similar to the D K one. The asscher looks good on paper, but no photo has been shown to me yet.

What do you think? Should I even consider another asscher when I think I've found the perfect one?

Temptation.
11.gif
Hi Isaku,

Without having more information at hand, let me tell you a story of the time I was going to purchase a brand name setting from an internet vendor.

At the time, I was in the process of buying my 1.56rb, and contacted another vendor about the setting I wanted.

This vendor seemed very nice, and I'm sure a lot of Pricescopers holds him in high esteem, but our exchange of emails really turned me off buying the setting from him.

I have already had my heart set on the stone from GOG, and as I have mentioned many times before, I buy from Jon because of the high level of trust I have in him, even though I might pay slightly higher prices for his detailed analysis of the stone which really gave me peace of mind from buying on the internet.

This other vendor I contacted with regards to the setting knew I had already found a stone from GOG, and yet he tried to get me to go through him for the stone as well, saying he will be able to give me a good deal.

I was quite offended, because I thought it was rather bad form of him to do that, given that he was referred to me by GOG (and others on PS). In the end, I went the custom route with my setting (which is another story in itself!!!)

If this is the same vendor who contacted you abt the DK setting, I am really disappointed that he is still doing this, trying to undercut others whilst knowing you have committed to the purchase of the stone from another vendor.

However, I understand that as consumers we are always looking out for the best deal for ourselves too, and buying the exact DK ring u wanted seems the best resolution to all the issues that have come up with the setting.

Let us know how u go!
1.gif

ETA: just to clarify, at no time did i ask this other vendor about purchasing the stone from him - my enquiry was solely abt the setting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isaku,
Do what''s best for you. I am confused a vendor contacted you unsolicited?? Never heard of that on here before. The stone from GOG is amazing but you have to do what is right for you. The setting''s from DK are absolutely gorgeous. Just make sure you love the asscher they are offering as much as you love the one from GOG. Either way I know you will end up with a fabu ring. Good luck deciding. Lisa
1.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Good to hear your story, JadeLeaves, as it sounds similar to the reaction I had when I heard from this vendor - bad form. On the other hand, though, I was tempted, I have to admit, by the "knock your socks off" price and the beauty of the DK setting.

I have heard others on the forum state that you are paying for the name, the same as with Beaudry, Tiffany and the others. I''m not one of those who cares about "the name". I just happen to like the setting. I really doubt that the price of the ring will be any bargain and who knows what the asscher will look like although I doubt that DK sells poor quality stones.

I guess I''m just curious to see what the price would actually be and compare it to what I have calculated so far with the 2.26 + setting. As we''ve noticed, this is going to be a pricey project and I want to keep my options open.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 8:27:22 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
The first setting made me say WOW. Then I started thinking that I want one of those. I''ve never been interested in that shape before. LOL

The second setting is nice but as was said it looks like there is more metal.
That was exactly my first reaction, Stone Hunter - WOW!!
9.gif

Watch out for asscher lust; once you have it, it just doesn''t go away.
11.gif

I too like the look with less metal and more focus on the diamonds.

Has anyone heard anything less than great about DK and his designs?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never heard anything bad about the Daniel K line. Only have heard great things. You can do a search on here Isaku, plenty of threads on Daniel K.
2.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I believe this is the same picture?

ring

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS vendors should NOT be contacting you unsolicited..it is against the forum rules (if it was a PS vendor).

That alone would turn me off from purchasing from them, period. Good deal or not. That sounds like a used car salesman tactic.

There have always been cases of that from time to time on here (which are typically quickly taken care of by the moderators) and it always used to gall me that people have to try to steal business from other PS vendors by peddling wares in a nefarious way through something like 'ppsssst....hey i got a great deal here'. Please.
38.gif

If it's not a PS vendor and it was someone you contacted originally...I'd be tempted but find out all the details and make sure that you cover all your bases. Something about this kind of still reeks. Why would someone want to give you such a great deal? What do they want in return? Maybe I am naturally suspicious.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Mara, i am glad to tell you it was NOT a PS vendor.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 8:49:28 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I am simple folk--I ''never say never'' until I''ve seen a comparison. See the Daniel K, and then decide. What could be the harm?

cheers--Sharon
Hi canuk-gal...I''m assuming from your username that you are a fellow Canadian.
36.gif

Before I joined PS I had never heard of many of these designers - Tiffany, HW, yes; but Daniel K definitely not. What about you?

In Canada, we''re not as designer oriented. Maybe I''m way out of the loop on what''s going on.
33.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 10:32:49 PM
Author: Pricescope
Mara, i am glad to tell you it was NOT a PS vendor.
Me too!!

Isaku keep us posted. (But I''m still suspicious of ''a good deal''!!)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2006 10:33:01 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 6/2/2006 8:49:28 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I am simple folk--I ''never say never'' until I''ve seen a comparison. See the Daniel K, and then decide. What could be the harm?

cheers--Sharon
Hi canuk-gal...I''m assuming from your username that you are a fellow Canadian.
36.gif

Before I joined PS I had never heard of many of these designers - Tiffany, HW, yes; but Daniel K definitely not. What about you?

In Canada, we''re not as designer oriented. Maybe I''m way out of the loop on what''s going on.
33.gif
HI Isaku5:

Indeed--West Coast (Alberta) folk: et tu? GOOD eye on the the single Assher stone, BTW.

As for designer gemwear, I have a "bit" of background--my father was a jeweller and had a great business in the city I grew up in, so my education to the field was rather early......that said, you are correct in suggesting, in general, that Canadians don''t relate to jewellery "labels" quite as much; partly b/c of an "indifference", and partly b/c of lack of exposure. Hence Isaku5, you are not "out of the loop"; just Canadian? Look forward to your
30.gif
decision!!!

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t see how anyone could contact anyone on this forum unless an individual has emailed a vendor for information, or something. Our names and emails are not posted, so how would it even be possible?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 11:16:56 PM
I don''t see how anyone could contact anyone on this forum unless an individual has emailed a vendor for information, or something. Our names and emails are not posted, so how would it even be possible?
Diamondseeker2006... Your identity is safe, don''t worry.

You are right about my contacting several vendors while I was getting quotes for asschers and settings. This person obviously knew I was looking, but did not know whether I had purchased yet; hence, the proposal which may or may not turn out to be "a deal".

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I live in Ontario, canuk-gal, and love everything about it except the long winters. I''m sure you can relate to this too.

It must have been great growing up with your father as a jeweller; I''m sure you learned a lot about many gems and appreciate the more in-depth discussions there are sometimes on these forums. Did you follow in your father''s footsteps?

You''re right about the lack of label consciousness in Canada, but I think that it''s due to lack of exposure rather than indifference. My DH can tell you that unfortunately I am very aware of designer clothing, but own very few pieces now. My focus has changed to gemstones and I''m not sure that''s a good thing.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results