shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Dainty Diamond - My .46 G SI2 AVR Solitaire

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love AVRs no matter the size! Your ring is just lovely! It's exciting to be able to look forward to another for your anniversary!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
This is just so unexpectedly perfect with your wedding band! Wow. Enjoy it for awhile! Or forever!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just saying'....

20180523_112848_resized.jpg

Although, having said that, I'm finding it's very useful to have a small, non obtrusive ring for all sorts of situations - many of which involve vacations or the subway, for example.

My husband and I had been married about 20 years when we started our upgrade process, also. Having a nice jewelry collection is something I'd always wanted, and it's taken years to get to where I wanted to be. I have a few small projects to finish this year, then I'm going to start on my final diamond project (a perpetual Whiteflash upgrade), which I think will last some years.

As a devotee of 3 stones, I think a 3 stone cushion / AVR soli is a wonderful combo. I can't remember whose this was, but there used to be an AMAZING 3 stone cushion on these boards - perhaps all AVCs? - and it was fabulous! As I recall, it had a center stone somewhere in the 1.5ct range, and the finger coverage and kapow! factor were off the charts!

And if that enabled you to have a second ring, well, you can't beat a nice soli. They really are the most romantic of all rings.

But, as you alluded to, the journey is half the fun, and five years is long enough to work through basically every ring setting on the internet (I cannot TELL you the hours I've spent looking at ring designs!!) and - as you said - happily change your mind a hundred times. Mental ring designing is free, and a wonderful pass-time!

Have you thought of turning your baby AVR into a 3 stone, using it as one of the outer stones? if you did 2 outer stones of your .46ct size, then a center stone in the 1.8ct range, that would give you some SERIOUS wow! And then you could leave your beautiful AVC - one of PS's favorite rings, if the number of times I've seen it referred to by others is anything to go by - as is. That would leave you with a 3 stone in the 2.8 ctw category and a 1.5 ct solitaire. For sheer carat weight, that combo would give you more than any other of the combos you've mentioned so far, and 2 very different, very beautiful rings!

And just to help you on your way....

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...cushion-3-stone-design-and-proportion.207068/

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/three-five-stone/three-stone-true-antique-cushion-ring-detail

And then there's always this - @chrono's stunner....

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/coming-to-me-soon-3-stone-avc-and-ec.188808/

@DorotheaBrooke - I'll enjoy following your journey - all while wearing my matching pale blue cashmere sweater! :wavey:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful stone and suits you well! Congrats. I work for a jewellery valuer and today a customer came in to get her approximately 0.75ct oec diamond ring valued. She doesn't like the setting and told me that a jeweller had told her if she got the diamond re cut it would be worth more! Are you kidding me ??!! I can't believe there are such dodgy people around to even suggest that as a possibility. :eek2::wall:

This happens to OEc’s here in the U.K. a lot. @foxinsox A close friend of mine is a jeweller, all hand crafted & amazing sort of stuff (ex Cartier bench & made my eternity ring for me, to withstand the bombs that go off daily whilst i’m using my hands - I am hard on my hands!) & he is ALWAYS sending me videos of beautiful OEC’s that he has been sent, with a week to find a buyer, or they go back to the dealer for a re-cut & come out the other side wearing a new MRB dress. It actually makes my heart ache. I wish I was rich so that I could save them all!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a stunning stone! :love: I absolutely adore vintage-inspired cuts, and yes, they are nothing if not addictive! This is such a versatile size, so you will have unlimited possibilities with this stone in the future if you are so inclined... pendant, side stone for trilogy, reset, or enjoy it just as it is! It truly looks beautiful on you!!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
This happens to OEc’s here in the U.K. a lot. @foxinsox A close friend of mine is a jeweller, all hand crafted & amazing sort of stuff (ex Cartier bench & made my eternity ring for me, to withstand the bombs that go off daily whilst i’m using my hands - I am hard on my hands!) & he is ALWAYS sending me videos of beautiful OEC’s that he has been sent, with a week to find a buyer, or they go back to the dealer for a re-cut & come out the other side wearing a new MRB dress. It actually makes my heart ache. I wish I was rich so that I could save them all!

Yikes One week? It's like destroying UNESCO diamond heritage :(

You should ask him permission to post the babies here for adoption. I would be happy to do my part for posterity!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did it what! Look at that fire :love: and oh @Alex T that makes me sad. Tho when the time comes to upgrade, I could be keen to see the videos haha.. seriously he should tap the power of Pricescope and see if he can find OEC rescuers here. I hate that these beautiful pieces of history get lost to yet another generic MRB.

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I'm surprised and honored to be JOTW! Especially considering all the amazing pieces that I ogle here every day.

I'm really loving this ring more as the days go by. Every time I look at it, I'm taken by its beauty. I used to think that I stopped wearing my original .38 ct e-ring because of its size, but now I realize it was a quality issue. If my original ring looked like this one, I never would have taken it off!

Last edited:

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just saying'....

20180523_112848_resized.jpg

Although, having said that, I'm finding it's very useful to have a small, non obtrusive ring for all sorts of situations - many of which involve vacations or the subway, for example.

My husband and I had been married about 20 years when we started our upgrade process, also. Having a nice jewelry collection is something I'd always wanted, and it's taken years to get to where I wanted to be. I have a few small projects to finish this year, then I'm going to start on my final diamond project (a perpetual Whiteflash upgrade), which I think will last some years.

As a devotee of 3 stones, I think a 3 stone cushion / AVR soli is a wonderful combo. I can't remember whose this was, but there used to be an AMAZING 3 stone cushion on these boards - perhaps all AVCs? - and it was fabulous! As I recall, it had a center stone somewhere in the 1.5ct range, and the finger coverage and kapow! factor were off the charts!

And if that enabled you to have a second ring, well, you can't beat a nice soli. They really are the most romantic of all rings.

But, as you alluded to, the journey is half the fun, and five years is long enough to work through basically every ring setting on the internet (I cannot TELL you the hours I've spent looking at ring designs!!) and - as you said - happily change your mind a hundred times. Mental ring designing is free, and a wonderful pass-time!

Have you thought of turning your baby AVR into a 3 stone, using it as one of the outer stones? if you did 2 outer stones of your .46ct size, then a center stone in the 1.8ct range, that would give you some SERIOUS wow! And then you could leave your beautiful AVC - one of PS's favorite rings, if the number of times I've seen it referred to by others is anything to go by - as is. That would leave you with a 3 stone in the 2.8 ctw category and a 1.5 ct solitaire. For sheer carat weight, that combo would give you more than any other of the combos you've mentioned so far, and 2 very different, very beautiful rings!

And just to help you on your way....

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...cushion-3-stone-design-and-proportion.207068/

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/three-five-stone/three-stone-true-antique-cushion-ring-detail

And then there's always this - @chrono's stunner....

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/coming-to-me-soon-3-stone-avc-and-ec.188808/

@DorotheaBrooke - I'll enjoy following your journey - all while wearing my matching pale blue cashmere sweater! :wavey:

So much to think about here! I've been considering the 3-stone AVR idea since I read your post (sorry it's taken me a while to respond) and I'm quite taken with it. For some reason, I hadn't considered a 3-stone e-ring before, but I think it would be such an elegant look with my wedding band, not to mention a sparkly stunner, and I would be able to leave my AVC ring as-is. I do think it would be a shame to change the beautiful setting that Maytal made for me.

It's so nice knowing I'm not the only person spending countless hours looking at ring settings, ha. I'd love to hear more about your planned Whiteflash upgrade. Do you have a thread about it yet?

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Please indulge me as I post lots of pictures of a relatively tiny ring. :mrgreen2:

Here is my new .46 G SI2 AVR set in 18 K white gold. I bought this AVR intending to set it as a pendant, but I haven't decided whether to bezel or prong set yet. I decided to put the AVR in an inexpensive ring temporarily, giving me the opportunity to admire the stone in the meantime. Luckily, GOG had a pre-owned setting that fit, which they rhodium dipped and polished for me, so it looks good as new (excellent customer service, as always!).

The AVR arrived today, and I love it! This is the sparkliest diamond I've ever seen, including my small BGD studs. (There's an older thread discussing whether it's worth the premium to get an AV in a smaller size. My answer is YES. I can clearly see the differences compared to a MRB. The flashes are bolder and the flowery facet pattern is visible when I look closely.) Looks icy white and eye clean to me.

DSCF8435.jpg DSCF8450.jpg DSCF8458.jpg

I'm surprised by how well the ring goes with my wedding band, 1.25 ctw shared prong eternity. I've been wearing my band alone for years, but I really love how this set looks together! (Finger size 5.5)
DSCF8415.jpg DSCF8541.jpg
DSCF8474.jpg DSCF8563.jpg
Here is a real life perspective shot. As you can see, the ring is small but has some presence.
DSCF8570.jpg
Another random glamour shot.
DSCF8516.jpg

So, now I'm considering wearing the ring much longer than the few months originally planned. Maybe until I upgrade to a 1.75 ct AVR for my 20th anniversary in 5 years! Ha! But I'm getting ahead of myself. The point is I'm very happy with this AVR and would love a much bigger one. :kiss2:

Congrats! It is beautiful!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I pressed “unlike” because I forgot I already “liked” it. :lol-2: I love it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So much to think about here! I've been considering the 3-stone AVR idea since I read your post (sorry it's taken me a while to respond) and I'm quite taken with it. For some reason, I hadn't considered a 3-stone e-ring before, but I think it would be such an elegant look with my wedding band, not to mention a sparkly stunner, and I would be able to leave my AVC ring as-is. I do think it would be a shame to change the beautiful setting that Maytal made for me.

It's so nice knowing I'm not the only person spending countless hours looking at ring settings, ha. I'd love to hear more about your planned Whiteflash upgrade. Do you have a thread about it yet?

A 3 stone with vintage inspired OECs is a true classic. And 3 AVRs in a row is a sparkle bombshell! You can't go wrong on this.

Re my Whiteflash upgrade - this will be the most boring project ever. I intend to buy something small in the next few months, and upgrade, between 1 and 2k at a time. I doubt I'll even set any of them until I get to my goal size - which is around 4 ct. I've decided I want a big soli (no halo this time! :rolleyes: ) and it will be a nice project to have running in the background. I expect to finish my last few projects this year, given that I only have 4 to go, I'm working on 2 at the moment, I'm getting a third one for my birthday later this year`, and the 4th one will be for Christmas. So that will see me 'out'. And then it's just the perpetual upgrade till I get where I want to go. :))

ETA And I'm glad you'd like to keep the Maytal Hannah - that ring is all class.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@DorotheaBrooke, that set in that size on your beautiful hands is just the epitome of understated elegance. I keep coming back to stare! If I had hands like yours - which I don't, alas, as they are small, with short, stocky, slightly puffy fingers and post-menopausal skin - that set is exactly what I would rock everyday!

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
@DorotheaBrooke -

I just wanted to come back to add - I've decided to turn my baby AVR into a little 3 stone. I'm going to put 2 x .25 ct AVRs either side, so it will be 1.15 ctw. I think it will be really sweet, and a perfect travel ring.

Exciting! I can't wait to see the finished ring. Are you having the side stones custom cut? Looks like slim pickings in the AVR world at the moment. For now, I'm hooked on the idea of creating a 3-stone with a 1 ct + center for my 20th. Something like your masterpiece, on a smaller scale. :)

Your 4 ct ACA goal sounds amazing! I'd be so interested to hear about your overall plan for your jewelry collection. Have you posted about it before? I couldn't find anything in your threads.

@DorotheaBrooke, that set in that size on your beautiful hands is just the epitome of understated elegance. I keep coming back to stare! If I had hands like yours - which I don't, alas, as they are small, with short, stocky, slightly puffy fingers and post-menopausal skin - that set is exactly what I would rock everyday!

Oh, you are too kind! I like the sound of understated elegance. That is my ideal overall, but I'm afraid I mostly project the look of frazzled motherhood.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DorotheaBrooke -

@Alex T started a thread for me about my jewelry. Here's the link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-mrs-b.244487/page-4

I have 4 projects to finish this year; setting my AVC, resetting my baby AVR (and if you go through that thread you'll see photos of the 3.11ct AVR I used to own), setting an oval rubellite, and setting my stunning golden sapphire. For Christmas, DH is giving me a pin, then for my 60th birthday next year, a second diamond bangle. I had thought my diamond bangle had 4.8 ctw, but DK told me I was wrong, and it's roughly 5.5 ctw. So if you see references to 4.8 ctw, ignore it - it's 5.5. When I get a second one (identical to the one I already have), together on my wrist it will equal 11 ctw. Which suits me just fine. :mrgreen:

I'm having a charm made to go on the plain chain bracelet which is in my photos on the 'show us your everyday bracelets' thread, and I'll also be starting my perpetual upgrade project. But that will go on forever, so it's not something I'll ever really complete. For the rest of it, tho, that's the end of it. I'm almost there. :))

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Simply beautiful - and so excited to see you posting new bling! Your bezel set cushion is one of my all time favorite rings :love: and the reason I found Maytal Hannah and had her set my first upgrade. She is just the best!

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
@DorotheaBrooke -

@Alex T started a thread for me about my jewelry. Here's the link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-mrs-b.244487/page-4

I have 4 projects to finish this year; setting my AVC, resetting my baby AVR (and if you go through that thread you'll see photos of the 3.11ct AVR I used to own), setting an oval rubellite, and setting my stunning golden sapphire. For Christmas, DH is giving me a pin, then for my 60th birthday next year, a second diamond bangle. I had thought my diamond bangle had 4.8 ctw, but DK told me I was wrong, and it's roughly 5.5 ctw. So if you see references to 4.8 ctw, ignore it - it's 5.5. When I get a second one (identical to the one I already have), together on my wrist it will equal 11 ctw. Which suits me just fine. :mrgreen:

I'm having a charm made to go on the plain chain bracelet which is in my photos on the 'show us your everyday bracelets' thread, and I'll also be starting my perpetual upgrade project. But that will go on forever, so it's not something I'll ever really complete. For the rest of it, tho, that's the end of it. I'm almost there. :))

YES THAT THREAD! Of course, I remember it now. Everything is beautiful, and many of the pictures are saved in my inspiration folder. The sets of bangles, hoops, and rings are complete perfection. I've been thinking that a Whiteflash diamond bangle would be nice to wear with my wedding set, but maybe a custom bangle would be better. That will have to come sometime in the future, though.

You have the most beautiful bands that perfectly complement your rings. How do you decide what kind of bands to create for the different rings? I plan to have two custom bands made soon, a white gold one for my wedding set and a rose gold one for my RHR, but I cannot decide what style would look best stacked and whether to have pave or plain gold.

I hope you continue to update your thread with all your new projects!

Simply beautiful - and so excited to see you posting new bling! Your bezel set cushion is one of my all time favorite rings :love: and the reason I found Maytal Hannah and had her set my first upgrade. She is just the best!

Thank you! I have another small project coming up with Maytal this spring that I'm excited about. Your rose gold MH oval setting was simply beautiful. Have you decided on a setting for your amazing new EC?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES THAT THREAD! Of course, I remember it now. Everything is beautiful, and many of the pictures are saved in my inspiration folder. The sets of bangles, hoops, and rings are complete perfection. I've been thinking that a Whiteflash diamond bangle would be nice to wear with my wedding set, but maybe a custom bangle would be better. That will have to come sometime in the future, though.

You have the most beautiful bands that perfectly complement your rings. How do you decide what kind of bands to create for the different rings? I plan to have two custom bands made soon, a white gold one for my wedding set and a rose gold one for my RHR, but I cannot decide what style would look best stacked and whether to have pave or plain gold.

I hope you continue to update your thread with all your new projects!

@DorotheaBrooke -

The reason I went custom with my diamond bangle, instead of with someone like WF, is because I wanted a round bangle, not an oval shape, and as such, the bangle rotates, meaning I needed diamonds right the way around. WF has one eternity bangle, but it's made with 1 pt stones, and I suspect having it made in my size (large), with 5 pt stones, would have been cost prohibitive. I also had a bunch of 5 pt stones from dissolved projects, and they were high quality, so I was happy with them. DKJ matched those and the bangle is very white and clean and super, super sparkly.

In the middle of this year I'll do a thread on all my rings, as that collection will be finished (except for the perpetual upgrade project). I'll have them all by the end of June, so I'll be posting up a storm then! :))

And I LOVE the AVR three stone idea for your .46ct! It's impossible to go wrong with a ring like that! You're going to end up with an amazingly classy collection!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Love love love your set Dorothea! As has been said, a classy gorgeous look with a lot of presence. And those fire shots :lickout:

And re the posts above on building a collection: I see where I have gone wrong all these years, I have had no plan and consequently have wasted SO much money on perpetually changing styles and stones. Lots to think about :)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely late to this party:roll2:. Your new AVR is stunning, it packs one powerful punch! I also adore your bezeled AVC, it’s exceptionally beautiful! What a beautiful collection you are building.
Congrats on JOTW!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
[QUOTE="

Thank you! I have another small project coming up with Maytal this spring that I'm excited about. Your rose gold MH oval setting was simply beautiful. Have you decided on a setting for your amazing new EC?[/QUOTE]

Thank you! And haha welllll at the moment I am trying to sell the EC, as I've realized I would be more comfortable with a smaller but higher color stone (I am copying @mrs-b , haha - I'd like to end up with something around 3 ct and F color). One of these days I will eventually get it right! (the return period on that stone expired before I got a chance to see it in person, and it was pretty stupid of me to commit to those terms, ugh)

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just seeing this thread!
I think your solitaire and diamond band are a classic beauty! I think they look perfect! :appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DorotheaBrooke -

I wanted to show you my latest project, which is with my .64 AVR. The rings on the right are their first iteration. The setting on the left is what my AVR is currently going into! The petals will be pave'd, so it will be a whole lot of sparkle. All up, it will be roughly 1.2ctw, but the flower is roughly 13mm x 13mm. So lots of finger coverage!

Just thought you might find this interesting; small stones are small...but mighty! :))

From this to this.....jpeg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, it's so gorgeous and elegant, @DorotheaBrooke ! Also, if you don't mind, can you please tell me what size the diamonds in your eternity are? Love it and want something similar!

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, it's so gorgeous and elegant, @DorotheaBrooke ! Also, if you don't mind, can you please tell me what size the diamonds in your eternity are? Love it and want something similar!

Thank you! I'm not sure of the individual diamond sizes in my eternity band. It's 1.25 ctw and size 5.5. I bought it 15 years ago from weddingbands.com or something like that. :)

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is very sweet. :kiss2:

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
@DorotheaBrooke -

I wanted to show you my latest project, which is with my .64 AVR. The rings on the right are their first iteration. The setting on the left is what my AVR is currently going into! The petals will be pave'd, so it will be a whole lot of sparkle. All up, it will be roughly 1.2ctw, but the flower is roughly 13mm x 13mm. So lots of finger coverage!

Just thought you might find this interesting; small stones are small...but mighty! :))

From this to this.....jpeg

I'm so glad you shared this with me. What sparkly goodness this will be! :kiss2: I'm actually planning to have a similar pendant made using my original engagement diamond, except with heart-shaped petals, so I'm especially excited to see your finished project. I also realized that I missed a lot here lately, including your amazing AVC ring. I hope you'll be posting more photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results