shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Dainty Diamond - My .46 G SI2 AVR Solitaire

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Please indulge me as I post lots of pictures of a relatively tiny ring. :mrgreen2:

Here is my new .46 G SI2 AVR set in 18 K white gold. I bought this AVR intending to set it as a pendant, but I haven't decided whether to bezel or prong set yet. I decided to put the AVR in an inexpensive ring temporarily, giving me the opportunity to admire the stone in the meantime. Luckily, GOG had a pre-owned setting that fit, which they rhodium dipped and polished for me, so it looks good as new (excellent customer service, as always!).

The AVR arrived today, and I love it! This is the sparkliest diamond I've ever seen, including my small BGD studs. (There's an older thread discussing whether it's worth the premium to get an AV in a smaller size. My answer is YES. I can clearly see the differences compared to a MRB. The flashes are bolder and the flowery facet pattern is visible when I look closely.) Looks icy white and eye clean to me.

DSCF8435.jpg DSCF8450.jpg DSCF8458.jpg

I'm surprised by how well the ring goes with my wedding band, 1.25 ctw shared prong eternity. I've been wearing my band alone for years, but I really love how this set looks together! (Finger size 5.5)
DSCF8415.jpg DSCF8541.jpg
DSCF8474.jpg DSCF8563.jpg
Here is a real life perspective shot. As you can see, the ring is small but has some presence.
DSCF8570.jpg
Another random glamour shot.
DSCF8516.jpg

So, now I'm considering wearing the ring much longer than the few months originally planned. Maybe until I upgrade to a 1.75 ct AVR for my 20th anniversary in 5 years! Ha! But I'm getting ahead of myself. The point is I'm very happy with this AVR and would love a much bigger one. :kiss2:

Attachments

• DSCF8581.jpg
    DSCF8581.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super pretty ring, and super pretty set - wonderful presence on your hand - wear in happiness!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. Your set looks great on your hand. Congratulations.

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some interesting comparisons.

The AVR vs .49 ctw BGD studs. You can see the clear differences in the faceting patterns. DSCF8598.jpg

The AVR vs my 1.4 O VS1 AVC (plus gratuitous AVC shots)
DSCF8480.jpg
DSCF8490.jpg
DSCF8498.jpg
DSCF8501.jpg

The AVR vs standard MRB

This ring is quite similar to the style of my original .38 ct e-ring, but the quality of my new ring is much higher. I haven't worn my e-ring in years, and I'm having the stone reset into a necklace for my anniversary this year. DSCF8534.jpg

Okay, I'm done now. :wavey:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Such a beautiful stone and suits you well! Congrats. I work for a jewellery valuer and today a customer came in to get her approximately 0.75ct oec diamond ring valued. She doesn't like the setting and told me that a jeweller had told her if she got the diamond re cut it would be worth more! Are you kidding me ??!! I can't believe there are such dodgy people around to even suggest that as a possibility. :eek2::wall:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such an amazingly pretty stone and it really stands out.
@Weeivy73 that’s not an uncommon thing for a lot of old school jewellers say. OECs were often appraised primarily for their MRB potential :cry2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Small but PERFECTLY proportioned! It is absolutely lovely & I agree, it really has a presence & holds its own with your wedding band. Enjoy looking at it - it’s definitely a keeper! :love::love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, @DorotheaBrooke!

I wear my .64ct AVR often, and it probably looks about the same proportions on my size 7.5 finger as yours does on you! I have mine set in a platinum setting, and DKJ gave the prongs a lot of love, so the setting is very dainty. I love it!

They're addictive little things, aren't they? I look at mine and think to myself that I don't ever want any other sort of diamond - just a really, REALLY big AVR! I don't think this is in my future - but oh, I'd love it if it were!

So it seems we're jewelry twins! I've decided to cluster set my AVC, but we have very similar center stones, after you scale for size, and you know I LOVE your e-ring setting! And now we also have baby AVRs! Also...are you wearing a cashmere cardigan in the above photo? I wear them all the time - like - every day - and I think I have that same color; is it pale grey or baby blue? Either way, it's so familiar!

And lastly...have you thought about asking Yoram to cut you some melee, so that one day you can do a cluster? I've gone back and forth on that idea ever since I got mine, as I think it's a PERFECT size for it! I'm thinking about a 9 stone (including center stone) cluster, which is quite standard, and if you did the same, you'd be looking at a final ring about 9.5mm - 10mm across - which is a lovely size. On your ring, you'd probably use 8 x 2.5mm (or thereabouts) stones as the surrounding stones, and the effect would be awesome!

I don't know if August Vintage will ever do upgrades, so if you can't use this one towards your 1.75 AVR #ringgoal, you might as well give some thought to a more substantial setting. And all collecions should have a beautiful cluster; they're a classic! Here's a couple more of mine as it's currently set; see how similar? I hope you enjoy yours - in whatever format - for many years to come. :))

20181211_144657.jpg

20181211_144604.jpg

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Please indulge me as I post lots of pictures of a relatively tiny ring. :mrgreen2:

Here is my new .46 G SI2 AVR set in 18 K white gold. I bought this AVR intending to set it as a pendant, but I haven't decided whether to bezel or prong set yet. I decided to put the AVR in an inexpensive ring temporarily, giving me the opportunity to admire the stone in the meantime. Luckily, GOG had a pre-owned setting that fit, which they rhodium dipped and polished for me, so it looks good as new (excellent customer service, as always!).

The AVR arrived today, and I love it! This is the sparkliest diamond I've ever seen, including my small BGD studs. (There's an older thread discussing whether it's worth the premium to get an AV in a smaller size. My answer is YES. SNIP :kiss2:

This looks gorgeous on you! Looks plenty large to me! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE:kiss2: your new ring. It's beautiful.:love: AVRavishing!!!:appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! Looks like it would be fun to wear in a stack too!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AVR, AVR! I love them.. I wish I could buy one, can't now but who know's in the future. Your ring is huge, it's beautiful it will knock the socks off bigger stones because it's an AVR.. I love it and am very happy for you.. Thank you for sharing!

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much to everyone for the kind words! I'm going to reply more when I'm home on the computer, instead of my phone.

Random question: how can we share videos? I took one on my phone surreptitiously in coffee shop lighting this morning. :cool2: I've seen a few on here recently and loved seeing sparkles in action.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I think we can make YouTube videos and share the link to them on PS.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE it!!! Looks elegant and lovely on your pretty hand...love it with your eternity! :love:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
beautiful! It's lovely with the eternity ring!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the AVR stones. Your ring is beautiful and the setting really makes the diamond stand out.

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Super pretty ring, and super pretty set - wonderful presence on your hand - wear in happiness!

Very pretty. Your set looks great on your hand. Congratulations.

Your ring and stone are just beautiful!!! :appl::kiss2:

Small but PERFECTLY proportioned! It is absolutely lovely & I agree, it really has a presence & holds its own with your wedding band. Enjoy looking at it - it’s definitely a keeper! :love::love:

I just love your new ring :love: It's perfect in every way!

This looks gorgeous on you! Looks plenty large to me! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

LOVE:kiss2: your new ring. It's beautiful.:love: AVRavishing!!!:appl:

I love this! It's BEAUTIFUL! :appl:

I really love the AVR stones. Your ring is beautiful and the setting really makes the diamond stand out.

AVR, AVR! I love them.. I wish I could buy one, can't now but who know's in the future. Your ring is huge, it's beautiful it will knock the socks off bigger stones because it's an AVR.. I love it and am very happy for you.. Thank you for sharing!

beautiful! It's lovely with the eternity ring!

That size looks so nice on your hand and with your band - ENJOY!
SUPER classy and sparkly!

LOVE it!!! Looks elegant and lovely on your pretty hand...love it with your eternity! :love:

Thank you for taking the time to share these kind words! I explained to my husband over dinner that I post on Pricescope because no one else could nerd out over AVRs with me, and I can't go around talking up my new diamond in real life. :lol-2: I'm so happy to have this wonderful community to learn from and share with!

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: I just want to hug it.

Awwww. Your AVR pendant is the reason I'm dithering over whether to bezel or prong set mine. I assumed I'd bezel it, until I saw your lovely setting.

What a cutie :love:
I can’t believe this is under 1/2 a carat, can you tell us your finger size?
Really pretty and looks fab with your band!=)2

Thank you! Size 5.5.

Such a beautiful stone and suits you well! Congrats. I work for a jewellery valuer and today a customer came in to get her approximately 0.75ct oec diamond ring valued. She doesn't like the setting and told me that a jeweller had told her if she got the diamond re cut it would be worth more! Are you kidding me ??!! I can't believe there are such dodgy people around to even suggest that as a possibility. :eek2::wall:

That is such an amazingly pretty stone and it really stands out.
@Weeivy73 that’s not an uncommon thing for a lot of old school jewellers say. OECs were often appraised primarily for their MRB potential :cry2:

So sad to think about all the high color OECs that were recut to MRBs over the years. Good thing OECs look great warm, too!

When you upgrade it would be awesome to have GOG match your .46 and wear them as earrings. What amazing fire!

I agree, that would be awesome! I admit I've already held the diamond up to my ear with that thought in mind. :P2

I think we can make YouTube videos and share the link to them on PS.

The guidelines say no linking to personal accounts, and I've seen YouTube videos removed before. Hmm.

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Wow gorgeous! I can't wait to see more pics.... coughcough stack of the day coughcough

So beautiful! Looks like it would be fun to wear in a stack too!

I'm interested in the stacking idea! I don't have any other rings (other than my RHR set) but I'm planning to have Maytal Hannah make a new band using my old e-ring setting. Considering this one in white gold, not sure yet with or without pave. I'd love to hear ideas for other complementary styles.
Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 8.53.41 PM.png

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, @DorotheaBrooke!

I wear my .64ct AVR often, and it probably looks about the same proportions on my size 7.5 finger as yours does on you! I have mine set in a platinum setting, and DKJ gave the prongs a lot of love, so the setting is very dainty. I love it!

They're addictive little things, aren't they? I look at mine and think to myself that I don't ever want any other sort of diamond - just a really, REALLY big AVR! I don't think this is in my future - but oh, I'd love it if it were!

So it seems we're jewelry twins! I've decided to cluster set my AVC, but we have very similar center stones, after you scale for size, and you know I LOVE your e-ring setting! And now we also have baby AVRs! Also...are you wearing a cashmere cardigan in the above photo? I wear them all the time - like - every day - and I think I have that same color; is it pale grey or baby blue? Either way, it's so familiar!

And lastly...have you thought about asking Yoram to cut you some melee, so that one day you can do a cluster? I've gone back and forth on that idea ever since I got mine, as I think it's a PERFECT size for it! I'm thinking about a 9 stone (including center stone) cluster, which is quite standard, and if you did the same, you'd be looking at a final ring about 9.5mm - 10mm across - which is a lovely size. On your ring, you'd probably use 8 x 2.5mm (or thereabouts) stones as the surrounding stones, and the effect would be awesome!

I don't know if August Vintage will ever do upgrades, so if you can't use this one towards your 1.75 AVR #ringgoal, you might as well give some thought to a more substantial setting. And all collecions should have a beautiful cluster; they're a classic! Here's a couple more of mine as it's currently set; see how similar? I hope you enjoy yours - in whatever format - for many years to come. :))

20181211_144657.jpg

20181211_144604.jpg

Yay for my jewelry twin! August Vintage diamonds are addictive; I'm sure this is not my last one. ;-) I have pictures of your AVR ring saved in my inspiration folder. It's what gave me the idea to set my little guy in a ring. Yours has great presence (and is noticeably bigger) and I love the delicate 6-prong setting. I'm following your AVC setting adventure. It's going to look amazing! You must be so excited that the accompanying stones are together already. Oh, and yes, I'm wearing a baby blue cashmere cardigan in the photo (from Brooks Brothers about a dozen years ago). I wear cashmere sweaters all the time, even now that I'm home with my baby and toddler all day. Cashmere and diamonds go wonderfully together. :)

The cluster ring idea is very appealing. I didn't realize they could cut AVR that small. Something like that would sparkle like crazy!!! The only thing holding me back is my planned upgrade. Once I have my new e-ring, I know I'll wear it everyday (I wear my AVC RHR 24/7) and there wouldn't be a place for another ring in my jewelry wardrobe. When the time comes, I'll likely set the .46 in a solitaire pendant or find a match and do earrings.

So, about that upgrade and speaking of really big AVs... My husband has already agreed to a budget for a 20-year anniversary upgrade (in 5 years). The budget is enough (at least at today's diamond prices) to upgrade my 1.4 O AVC to a 2.5 J/K/L AVC. I'd then wear it as an engagement ring instead of a RHR. Something like Gem_rocks or LaineyRod's amazing AVCs.

AVC 2.5.jpg AVC 2.50.jpg

But now that I have this AVR on my finger with my wedding band, I'm loving the classic look of the white, round solitaire. I'm thinking maybe I should leave my AVC as-is and use the budget for a 1.75-ish higher color AVR as an e-ring upgrade. Something like Bordeaux's beauty.

AVR 1.7.jpg

Or get a lovely 1 ct AVR and make my AVC a three-stone ring. Anyway, not a bad dilemma to have and there's still a loooong time to change my mind a hundred times - ha!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results