shape
carat
color
clarity

Communication with David Klass?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup agreed, although it appears I have been turned away! I do feel very confident with IDJ, and too date their customer service has been nothing short of brilliant. I am hopeful that they will deliver a product that is special for my better half.

I've never worked with IDJ, but per the members here they do excellent work. I look forward to seeing the finished ring!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Random question, but does anyone know if i David Klass takes credit card?

Yes, once complete you get a PayPal link and can use whatever accounts or cards you have linked to that account. I always use a card for extra perks and protection just in case there are any issues.

Of course, I don't expect issues and most of you know I sing praises for DK. Just a standard thing I do.

Deep respect that you can afford to turn away revenue generating clients, and I sincerely hope that your business continues to strive. Let’s just agree to disagree seeing that we have different philosophies.

Sorry you are having issues @The Stig. Being a DK customer myself, and also getting ready to start the wedding band(s) design for my girl, I can tell you they are nothing short of excellent. Pricing is very fair & reasonable and they go above and beyond. Additionally I have built a good working relationship with them and have Amy's cell phone to call or text as I need, which provides more expedient responses.

May I ask how long you've been trying to contact them? Have you been doing so via email, or by phone? I only ask because like many here I live in a different time zone than DK and found it more productive to call.

Best wishes in your business adventures. It sounds like you are very customer orientated and as your business flourishes you will experience growing pains.

Funny how the world and it's problems can be associated back to a simple supply & demand chart. Hopefully you will soon experience the situation of having more demand than supply and you will better understand how it relates to more than philosophies.

Supply-Demand-Curve.jpg

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I always use a card for extra perks and protection just in case there are any issues.

I'm exactly the same. Always use my CC for any large internet purchase. My card is a Visa Signature, which has a lot of buyer protections built in just in case. I never expect anything to go wrong, as I only make large purchases from retailers/companies that I believe to be reputable, but you can never be too careful...

The awesome rewards points are a nice bonus too. I always transfer my points to the card's airline partners, and so far I've used them for 2 domestic and 1 international round trip tickets. :)

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
@sledge @TreeScientist

My fiance is very keen on CC's too. He still is unsure about DK since I found him from a "random forum". Lol!! Skeptic. He's such a freak.

After meeting DK, I wish i could be his bestie. Such a sweet guy.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
I owe David Klass a huge apology. I decided to try calling again early last week, and got through. The lady I was talking to asked me to e-mail through my request. David responded personally and within less than an hour with a detailed quote. Just needed persistence. The quote is very reasonable, although $750 higher than IDJ, although I may still have to go with IDJ if they have already started production on the setting. If not, then I may ask them to cancel the production order and send the center stone to David Klass. Decisions decisions

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear things worked out with DK and you, @The Stig. They are a good group of people. I am not sure your specific design, etc. but I feel they will take good care of you. However, that is a pretty good amount to be higher than IDJ. Makes me think one of them quoted something very different.

I've not worked with IDJ so I can't comment much on their quality, etc. The reviews I've heard tend to deal with their ability to find PS quality stones, rather they are certified or non-certified. And for the stone aspect people tend to respect them. IMO, making jewelry is an art form and not everyone can do that. IDJ may be more than capable, but it may be worthwhile to ask around.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
Glad to hear things worked out with DK and you, @The Stig. They are a good group of people. I am not sure your specific design, etc. but I feel they will take good care of you. However, that is a pretty good amount to be higher than IDJ. Makes me think one of them quoted something very different.

I've not worked with IDJ so I can't comment much on their quality, etc. The reviews I've heard tend to deal with their ability to find PS quality stones, rather they are certified or non-certified. And for the stone aspect people tend to respect them. IMO, making jewelry is an art form and not everyone can do that. IDJ may be more than capable, but it may be worthwhile to ask around.

The design of the setting is very basic. Something that looks like the link below that will fit a 1.93 carat cushion center stone in Platinum with diamonds also on the sides of the Polo. I.D.J. quoted me around 1.5k but then increased it to approx. 2k for PS quality. David Klass quoted me 2.75k for PS quality. I was also quoted in excess of 3k by Brilliantly Engaged, LaureK and Design by Kamni. I really do appreciate the good deal being offered by I.D.J, however for a 15k ring (in total with the diamond), an extra $750 or even 1k is totally worth it if I can get better craftsmanship. The benefit of I.D.J is that seeing I live and work in NYC, I will be able to inspect that ring with a tooth comb and keep on pushing back on Shulamit and Yekuteil until its absolutely perfect and before I accept delivery of it. They have both been nothing short of amazing to deal with, so I have no doubt they will make it perfect. With David Klass, although he sends out videos, I will have to keep sending it back across country if I see something out of place when it gets delivered. I also like how the better half will also be able to visit IDJ whenever she is in the city for routine maintenance on the ring etc etc. Its a tough one

https://www.brilliantearth.com/ring...IJ19Rv4uH6a8NHpBjjLLazB5HIX5DkLxoCP00QAvD_BwE

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you already have a good relationship and trust with IDJ. Plus location and future maintenance is a breeze with them. The ring isn't overly complicated either, just lots of stones which is why the price bump for PS quality stones.

Unless I had bad reviews or other substantial info to go on it sounds like IDJ may be a good fit for you. As I said before I knew they sourced stones, etc but wasn't aware they custom made jewelry so I cant really say DK would or wouldn't be worth the premium as I haven't seen IDJ custom pieces online or in person. I do know I was happy with DK and had a more intricate and detailed design that he pulled off with precision so I trust him based on that experience.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
Sounds like you already have a good relationship and trust with IDJ. Plus location and future maintenance is a breeze with them. The ring isn't overly complicated either, just lots of stones which is why the price bump for PS quality stones.

Unless I had bad reviews or other substantial info to go on it sounds like IDJ may be a good fit for you. As I said before I knew they sourced stones, etc but wasn't aware they custom made jewelry so I cant really say DK would or wouldn't be worth the premium as I haven't seen IDJ custom pieces online or in person. I do know I was happy with DK and had a more intricate and detailed design that he pulled off with precision so I trust him based on that experience.

Thank you so much for the advice Sledge. I really appreciate it. Would you mind also please reviewing the scope images of the center stone diamond I am going with in the thread below and tell me what you think?

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...cut-with-halo-setting-engagement-ring.242407/

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
The design of the setting is very basic. Something that looks like the link below that will fit a 1.93 carat cushion center stone in Platinum with diamonds also on the sides of the Polo. I.D.J. quoted me around 1.5k but then increased it to approx. 2k for PS quality. David Klass quoted me 2.75k for PS quality. I was also quoted in excess of 3k by Brilliantly Engaged, LaureK and Design by Kamni. I really do appreciate the good deal being offered by I.D.J, however for a 15k ring (in total with the diamond), an extra $750 or even 1k is totally worth it if I can get better craftsmanship. The benefit of I.D.J is that seeing I live and work in NYC, I will be able to inspect that ring with a tooth comb and keep on pushing back on Shulamit and Yekuteil until its absolutely perfect and before I accept delivery of it. They have both been nothing short of amazing to deal with, so I have no doubt they will make it perfect. With David Klass, although he sends out videos, I will have to keep sending it back across country if I see something out of place when it gets delivered. I also like how the better half will also be able to visit IDJ whenever she is in the city for routine maintenance on the ring etc etc. Its a tough one

https://www.brilliantearth.com/ring...IJ19Rv4uH6a8NHpBjjLLazB5HIX5DkLxoCP00QAvD_BwE

Hi there, I'm currently working with David Klass on an e-ring design, and wanted to know what "Pricescope Quality" is for a setting? Does he use higher grade small diamonds for the setting and/or is the workmanship better for "PS quality?" Thanks in advance!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
His quality is great. I worked on my second ring with him and it was wonderful. He gets his diamonds from the same place as all high-quality Jewelers, just for a better price:)

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DKJ source F color, ideal cut diamonds. Speaking from personal experience; they sparkle like crazy!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, I'm currently working with David Klass on an e-ring design, and wanted to know what "Pricescope Quality" is for a setting? Does he use higher grade small diamonds for the setting and/or is the workmanship better for "PS quality?" Thanks in advance!

PS quality is just a nice way to say ideal cut parameters that would get the nod of approval from the members here.

When DK made my fiance's setting Amy made a point that they were upgrading the melee to their best available (for free) to better match the BGD center stone quality.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
made a point that they were upgrading the melee to their best available (for free) to better match the BGD center stone quality.

What this means: “we normally get two types of melee - higher-quality clear stuff and lower-colored more-included stuff - and we’re using our generically higher-quality clear stuff”.
It’s the same generically higher-quality clear stuff that a very small handful of manufacturers farm out to thousands of jewellers all over the country.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

What this doesn’t mean:
Their melee is specialty/precision cut - if it was they’d be advertising it.
They’re sorting through a myriad of tiny stones to pick out the very best of the parcel - at least, they’re certainly not doing this without charging for that labour, and that charge would be quite noticeable.

Last edited:

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
Ah, gotcha. I understand what PS quality means in terms of the center stone, but was slightly confused that a ring setting would be referred to as such. Thought it’d be slight overkill to have accent diamonds be of ideal cut quality.

Does David have any interaction with his customers? We’re getting responses signed off from David but only have ever spoken to and interacted with Amy. My hope was that their approach would be more consultative. I wanted to meet with him/them in person. So far, we’ve given them a general idea of what we want, and replies have been along the lines of “this is how much it’ll cost, yay or nay.” Obviously they’re super professional but overall getting a rushed vibe, and not sure if they’re catching all the details we’re sending their way.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What type of setting are you looking for, exactly?

Have you made your expectations regarding communication clear? If not, do so explicitly as soon as possible, and confirm that your vendor is able and willing to meet those expectations.

Last edited:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
David Klass gets a lot of email asking about prices. I’m sure you can imagine he doesn’t have time to reply in depth to initial enquires. Once you have agreed to work with him you will get CADs. This is when you will have the chance to narrow down the details you want for your piece.

What I do find is sending pictures with notes attached explaining what you do/don’t like is very useful.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone. I need some advice. I found a setting on IG that I love. I contacted the person who made the setting and they quoted me the price. I do want to tweak the setting a little bit (8 prongs instead of 6), so I asked DK what it would cost to make a similar setting. His price is almost double. Not sure what to do.
I did email him and tell that the person who made the setting quoted me a lot less. He hasn’t responded.
The setting I like
A21E21AE-A100-4F9F-8350-9B9FD9C537C8.png Hey

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ if you search Pricescope for reviews re: Fay Cullen (assuming FC is the vendor you contacted), many of them are negative.

Are you certain the two price quotes are comparing apples to apples (same metal/weight and melee quality/carat weight)?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Maybe David thought he would need to source the whole job, including the stone.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ if you search Pricescope for reviews re: Fay Cullen (assuming FC is the vendor you contacted), many of them are negative.

Are you certain the two price quotes are comparing apples to apples (same metal/weight and melee quality/carat weight)?
It’s actually not Fay Cullen. It was an antique ring that was purchased from Fay Cullen. The IG vendor who can make the ring is sincityfinds. She just made the setting for someone on IG (i think she’s a PS member too) and I happened to see it so I inquired who made the setting. The person she made the setting for seems to be very pleased with her new setting so I decided to get a quote.
Sincityfinds quoted me $1300 for this setting in platinum. DK quoted me $2450.
I think it would be similar to the original except for some tweaks I want since sincityfinds has all the pictures and had the original. With David I would have to do CADs bc he never had the original to see. So we would be going off pictures.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, gotcha. I understand what PS quality means in terms of the center stone, but was slightly confused that a ring setting would be referred to as such. Thought it’d be slight overkill to have accent diamonds be of ideal cut quality.

Does David have any interaction with his customers? We’re getting responses signed off from David but only have ever spoken to and interacted with Amy. My hope was that their approach would be more consultative. I wanted to meet with him/them in person. So far, we’ve given them a general idea of what we want, and replies have been along the lines of “this is how much it’ll cost, yay or nay.” Obviously they’re super professional but overall getting a rushed vibe, and not sure if they’re catching all the details we’re sending their way.

based on my limited interaction with DKJ and reading about the experiences of others they may not be the jeweler for you if you need consultation or a lot of interaction. while they design their jewelry as well the way they take on jobs is more like a fabricator and it helps to have a specific idea of what you want. good luck!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kayla17 Why don’t you have sincityfinds make this ring for you with your tweaks? (Sorry for the thread jack)

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kayla17 Why don’t you have sincityfinds make this ring for you with your tweaks? (Sorry for the thread jack)
That’s what I’m thinking. But I love David’s work! That’s why I’m not sure what to do. I figure I’d post here and get a concensus! Lol

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kayla17 Sincityfinds is making me an emerald and OEC diamond eternity. It should be done soon. I’ll let you know what I think. :wavey:
I agree with you, David could do this ring beautifully!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s what I’m thinking. But I love David’s work! That’s why I’m not sure what to do. I figure I’d post here and get a concensus! Lol
Yeah I've long admired David's work but am nervous about commissioning directly with him because I hear he's super busy and that communication can be hit or miss.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m a small-time, small-potatoes customer but he’s always been courteous and prompt to reply to my emails. They’re very busy and worth the wait. Just my two cents. Good luck!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a small-time, small-potatoes customer but he’s always been courteous and prompt to reply to my emails. They’re very busy and worth the wait. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Just curious, what's the average turn around time for a custom setting if you (or others) don't mind sharing. Trying to decide if I should reach out for a quote or not to bother due to how busy they seem to be

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The turn around time is a moving target, as far as I can figure, @MakingTheGrade. When I received my 4ct stone and wanted to wear it to the JCK, DKJ received it, set it, and handed it off to me in Vegas in a week. On the other hand, I started my hoop earrings in my thread on SMTB in April. They had to be remade once as they were too thick (my mistake) then one pair had to be remade a second time as the bench made the second pair in the same metal as the first (as opposed to one in yellow and one in rose). I received them in their final iteration on October 20th. This was anomalous tho. My regular experience is 4-6 weeks, depending on the design; pave with their uber bench is slow.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kayla17 Sincityfinds is making me an emerald and OEC diamond eternity. It should be done soon. I’ll let you know what I think. :wavey:
I agree with you, David could do this ring beautifully!
Oooh! Yes please let me know! Im not in a rush at all since I just got my current in May, but when I saw this setting I just loved it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results