shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help assessing- cushion cut with halo setting engagement ring

The Stig

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I’m a newbie and have spent weeks researching and shopping around James Allen and the NYC diamond district. My girlfriend is looking for a Halo setting with cushion cut diamond. My parameters are a total budget around $15k, 1.9-2.10 carats, G/H/I color, VS -SI clarity, excellent symmetry & polish, and no fluorescent. After visiting many many stores, I stumbled upon one store that I will name later, and fell in love with the following diamond which although SI1, is eye clean. I’ve attached the GIA report, as well as the various scoping images. I reached out to Todd Gray, and he expressed concern with the concentration of feathers in the outer eadge that may cause duribilty concerns down the road. The images also show some light leakage, although I would like advice whether that is average for the cushion cut or in this instance below average. In person the diamond is stunning and sparkles nicely. Any feedback and opinions? Any concerns in what you see that should give me pause?

I am pulling the trigger tomorrow, so would love some advice. I am also looking at Brian Gavin premium selection diamonds, however, those are smaller and more expensive which pushes the cost past my budget (which is fine if this is a knockout). I just don’t think the premium price is worth it, and doubt my girlfriend will notice the difference. She is very simple and isn’t into designer products at all. Any advice?

Thank you all

752D6667-BC5F-4143-ABC5-FB2D78F97E25.jpeg 841D911E-AFB4-4E92-88B0-91CD92701FE4.jpeg C846BA34-998B-4810-92EA-DC39DE76B046.jpeg 87E94B1B-2A3D-43C1-AE64-19166DA7CDFC.jpeg 96B917CF-524F-411D-A1D9-9D9759BD5EF8.jpeg 7503FABB-482A-447C-8212-0FD6B333F503.jpeg 8ED41C40-AE70-44AB-810E-6E2FDB82013A.jpeg He

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert on cushions so I’ll leave that to others but I would say if you’re setting it in a halo, that should offer some protection against the feathers on the girdle. Where did you see this cushion?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
not an expert with cushions but i'm pretty sure that is a really good ASET for a cushion (above average imo). The price seems on par as well. Ditto @foxinsox that a halo should protect those feathers. what does the vendor say?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo should protect the girdle of the diamond so I wouldn't be so concerned about the feathers. It has already withstood all of the rigorous work involved in cutting/polishing without anything happening. Even if it does (which is unlikely), that's what you have insurance for.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
Thank you fellows! The dealer is I.D. Jewelers. Very very impressed with them to date. They presented me with some truly great diamonds, and they seem to be genuinely good people. It’s a family run business. Also, I think their prices are very competitive. I wasn’t planning on purchasing from a retailer in the heart of the NYC diamond district, but was pleasantly surprised all around.

Today I took the stone to an independent appraiser (accompanied by their security guy of course seeing I hadn’t paid yet). The appraiser did not raise any concerns, and he did not believe the feathers were significant and concentrated enough to cause a durability risk. He gave the brilliance a thumbs up, and confirmed that the stone is eye clean to his trained eyes. His fair market value assessment (around $15.5k) seems good compared to the $13.3k I have been quoted.Very happy and excited with the feedback, and will pull be pulling the trigger on this baby. Still open for other opinions.

Hope I don’t seem like a shill for the store - lol

The Stig

Rough_Rock
Any more advice and opinions on the diamond above? It’s not too late and would love some honest opinions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results