shape
carat
color
clarity

Communication with David Klass?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have worked with DK and Amy for a few projects, and what i find works well is a phone call.
I was in OR USA and communicated via email and phone. Phone worked the best.
Emails were for design elements.

i do hope that other clients do get around his busy schedule and admin practices.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the update!!

LOL!! Same thing here... my fiancé botched the original proposal and I said to let it go by he wants to “redo” it. Totally not necessary, but we’ll see how it goes!! Lol
My bf had a whole elaborate plan for proposing but then had to go on a last minute business trip. Plus the ring wasn't ready at that time so I'm actually glad he had to "redo" his plan!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @lagirlie have you called or text Amy? I found texts to be the most responsive method. Sometimes something as simple as "hey, please call I would like an update" and she would respond back with "call you in 5 minutes" or similar.

Of course your name implies you live there, I'd be tempted to just drop by. I prefer face to face and looking the other person in the eye. After all, 90% of human communication is body language and not words.

Also, how did your BF botch the proposal?

And @ellebelle I'm so happy for you! Pics, pics, pics!!!! ;)2

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am working with David and Amy on my current EC. I do feel communication can be a little delayed. However, I think when you choose them you are 1- getting a very good price, 2- great craftsmanship, and 3- truly sweet people to work with. Because of these factors they are extremely busy and have a lot of projects. So...the trade off is a little bit slower with communication. I agree with trying to text Amy...very responsive with me on that end. Good luck!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m working with DK on a few projects and he (maybe Amy) has been emailing regularly.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
I called last week to get a price quote on a Halo ring setting. Left a voicemail, but my call was not returned. Unacceptable way to run a business.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called last week to get a price quote on a Halo ring setting. Left a voicemail, but my call was not returned. Unacceptable way to run a business.
Mistakes happen and technology isn’t always reliable. If people ruled me out with a one-strike rule I’d be sunk.

Give them another try. They’re worth it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My experience is very spotty. Sometimes they reply and sometimes they don’t.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
Mistakes happen and technology isn’t always reliable. If people ruled me out with a one-strike rule I’d be sunk.

Give them another try. They’re worth it.

Fair enough, I’ll try again today, but it does seem as if they are busy enough that they can afford to be sloppy with onboarding new leads. If that’s the case, then I would prefer not to do business with them, good or not.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair enough, I’ll try again today, but it does seem as if they are busy enough that they can afford to be sloppy with onboarding new leads. If that’s the case, then I would prefer not to do business with them, good or not.
I’m glad to hear you’ll try them again. Give them 24-48 hours to respond; the good ones ARE busy, and are worth the wait.

What kind of design are you wanting done? If it doesn’t work with DK, maybe we could suggest other vendors that might be a good fit.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
sure. Its relatively simple. Just a platinum halo setting for a cushion cut diamond similar to the waverly Halo setting you see on Brilliant Earth (cushion shape). Sourcing the diamond from IDJ, and got a very reasonable quote for the setting to be done by them, PS quality of course. I'm comfortable trusting them, but extra due diligence is always a good thing right? What are your thoughts? This is an engagement ring for the better half, so I want to make sure I'm not skimping anywhere.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/Waverly-Diamond-Ring-(2/5-ct.-tw.)-White-Gold-BE1D64-3957961/

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Sloppy"? No. Slammed? Yes. And for very good reason.

Persevering with them is to your benefit.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sure. Its relatively simple. Just a platinum halo setting for a cushion cut diamond similar to the waverly Halo setting you see on Brilliant Earth (cushion shape). Sourcing the diamond from IDJ, and got a very reasonable quote for the setting to be done by them, PS quality of course. I'm comfortable trusting them, but extra due diligence is always a good thing right? What are your thoughts? This is an engagement ring for the better half, so I want to make sure I'm not skimping anywhere.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/Waverly-Diamond-Ring-(2/5-ct.-tw.)-White-Gold-BE1D64-3957961/
I’m sure they could do that. As with all vendors though, you need to be clear about your specifications - in this case, if you want the halo tilted or flat, if you want the diamond to sit as flushed as possible or raised a bit, size of melee you want (or examples showing the halo to center stone you like), and how you want the melee set (bead set, v-prong, etc.).

I’d closely look at examples from IDJ, DK, and VC (who could do this setting spectacularly in his sleep with little guidance from you, but will also cost more because of his expertise). After you decide whose work you like best, proceed from there.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
Random question, but does anyone know if i David Klass takes credit card?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Random question, but does anyone know if i David Klass takes credit card?

When I bought something from them they sent me a Paypal link, allowing me to use a CC (without a fee, if I recall correctly)

The Stig

Rough_Rock
"Sloppy"? No. Slammed? Yes. And for very good reason.

Persevering with them is to your benefit.

Whilst agreed they may be slammed, ignoring a potential new customer completely is also incredibly sloppy and bad judgment in my opinion. A good business will hire more people to keep up with the demand. As a small business owner myself, you never ever want to lose the opportunity to gain a new customer. Never ever. No matter how well and busy we are doing, you just cannot be so arrogant about the loss of potential income.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
I’m sure they could do that. As with all vendors though, you need to be clear about your specifications - in this case, if you want the halo tilted or flat, if you want the diamond to sit as flushed as possible or raised a bit, size of melee you want (or examples showing the halo to center stone you like), and how you want the melee set (bead set, v-prong, etc.).

I’d closely look at examples from IDJ, DK, and VC (who could do this setting spectacularly in his sleep with little guidance from you, but will also cost more because of his expertise). After you decide whose work you like best, proceed from there.

Thank you!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you still haven't heard back from DK and are looking for a equally-talented designer who is more responsive, then I would contact EVS Designs:
http://www.evsdesigns.store/index.html

I've worked with him on two projects now, and both times he has responded to my original e-mail within a few hours. The first time I was actually quite astonished to see his response within an hour, seeing as it was Sunday morning in California and I wasn't expecting a response until Monday. He's been a pleasure to work with both times and exceeded my expectations.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you still haven't heard back from DK and are looking for a equally-talented designer who is more responsive, then I would contact EVS Designs:
http://www.evsdesigns.store/index.html

I've worked with him on two projects now, and both times he has responded to my original e-mail within a few hours. The first time I was actually quite astonished to see his response within an hour, seeing as it was Sunday morning in California and I wasn't expecting a response until Monday. He's been a pleasure to work with both times and exceeded my expectations.

Without derailing the thread too much, did you find their price points/quotes for your project comparable? IMHO, dk is very popular both because of the quality of work and because of the affordable price point compared to other custom vendors.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Without derailing the thread too much, did you find their price points/quotes for your project comparable? IMHO, dk is very popular both because of the quality of work and because of the affordable price point compared to other custom vendors.

I never got a quote from DK, so can't compare the two. But I can say that I found his prices very reasonable. EVS's quote for a custom ring was the same as the price for an off-the-shelf ring from the online vendors like James Allen.

He lists the prices for some of his non-custom settings online, so you can check those for reference. I've found that prices for his custom designs are similar to an equilivantly-styled ring from his non-custom listings.

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
My quote from David was actually the same from 2 other jewelers I reached out to. I knew I wanted to go with him because of all the praises. However, I have a really simple setting so I probably should just just bought a premade one lol. Now I’m seeing that most people to custom Bc they have crazy intricate designs.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst agreed they may be slammed, ignoring a potential new customer completely is also incredibly sloppy and bad judgment in my opinion. A good business will hire more people to keep up with the demand. As a small business owner myself, you never ever want to lose the opportunity to gain a new customer. Never ever. No matter how well and busy we are doing, you just cannot be so arrogant about the loss of potential income.

"Sloppy", "bad judgment", "arrogant" - you sure are making a lot of assumptions about a vendor with whom you've had no contact. You're also unfamiliar with their business model or future plans. if you were to read this thread, you'd see DKJ is putting on 2 new employees, specifically to answer queries. They start in September.

You're also talking about one of the nicest jewelers in the biz, whose work and business ethic is to 'go beyond' in every single situation for their clients. Which is why they're recommended on these boards over and over and over.

And please don't lecture me about business practices. I neither need it nor appreciate it.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
"Sloppy", "bad judgment", "arrogant" - you sure are making a lot of assumptions about a vendor with whom you've had no contact. You're also unfamiliar with their business model or future plans. if you were to read this thread, you'd see DKJ is putting on 2 new employees, specifically to answer queries. They start in September.

You're also talking about one of the nicest jewelers in the biz, whose work and business ethic is to 'go beyond' in every single situation for their clients. Which is why they're recommended on these boards over and over and over.

And please don't lecture me about business practices. I neither need it nor appreciate it.

Not making any assumptions, I’m stating facts and then my own opinion. Fact is that this vendor did not bother to return the call of a potential customer, and jury is still out if they return my call from today. In my opinion, this practice is sloppy, bad judgement and arrogant. I have no opinion on whether the guy is the nicest jeweler in town. If you say he is then I have no reason to dispute this. I’m also not disputing his ethics. Ignoring a phone call is hardly unethical, but it is bad form. In addition, I am not lecturing you, I am providing an opinion, my own. That’s all. That’s what this open forum is for. Okay?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed. David is seriously the nicest guy, they're just busy

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, so like I said, I have my EC with him now. Communicating is definitely spotty. So no hand holding with him! You have to be persistant and keep calling. This may not be your thing and I completely get it!! I would try a different jeweler if you want a more rapid response.

With that said, I chose David and Amy. Super nice, great work and extremely fair prices. They are not out to gouge anyone. BUT... it does take some nagging. I think this is only because they have such a good reputation that they are literally slammed! And so glad to hear they hired 2 new employees!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
...As a small business owner myself, you never ever want to lose the opportunity to gain a new customer. Never ever. No matter how well and busy we are doing, you just cannot be so arrogant about the loss of potential income.
You must be in a business where you NEED new clients, perhaps not a service business....I am also a small business owner and turn away 10+ clients per day. I am booked solid in perpetuity until my clients pass away. I have over a hundred unanswered voicemails because at some point, you realize you just can't keep up and you give up. I am not arrogant and I don't care about new customers because I cannot find adequate support staff. If I could, I would have a fleet of very well earning employees. Arrogance has nothing to do with the inability to keep up with demand, and finding good employees well-suited to your industry is highly difficult. Perhaps you should find another jeweler who has more time to hold your hand.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@The Stig it’s possible that despite David’s excellent reputation here, he might not be the right jeweler for you. He’s not meeting your expectations and you haven’t even talked to him yet. It may make sense to walk away and find someone more aligned with your communication style.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
@The Stig it’s possible that despite David’s excellent reputation here, he might not be the right jeweler for you. He’s not meeting your expectations and you haven’t even talked to him yet. It may make sense to walk away and find someone more aligned with your communication style.

Yup agreed, although it appears I have been turned away! I do feel very confident with IDJ, and too date their customer service has been nothing short of brilliant. I am hopeful that they will deliver a product that is special for my better half.

You must be in a business where you NEED new clients, perhaps not a service business....I am also a small business owner and turn away 10+ clients per day. I am booked solid in perpetuity until my clients pass away. I have over a hundred unanswered voicemails because at some point, you realize you just can't keep up and you give up. I am not arrogant and I don't care about new customers because I cannot find adequate support staff. If I could, I would have a fleet of very well earning employees. Arrogance has nothing to do with the inability to keep up with demand, and finding good employees well-suited to your industry is highly difficult. Perhaps you should find another jeweler who has more time to hold your hand.

Deep respect that you can afford to turn away revenue generating clients, and I sincerely hope that your business continues to strive. Let’s just agree to disagree seeing that we have different philosophies.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results