shape
carat
color
clarity

Communication with David Klass?

discobanana

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm hoping someone here can give me some tips on getting in touch with David Klass. So far I've sent two emails, as I realized that there are two email addresses are posted on his social media and are posted on here by fellow prosumers. He's made two rings for me in the past and I love his work, so I reached out to him two weeks ago about having him do two more projects for me (a pair of earrings and a pendant). I've heard nothing back from him, yet I see that he's posting regularly on social media so it seems to me that some kind of response--even if just to say that he received my email and will get back to me with more details when he's not busy--isn't an unreasonable expectation. On his Facebook page it seems as though there are a couple of other potential customers also experiencing this radio silence. It seems very strange compared to my last couple of projects with him.

Or does anyone know if he's just totally swamped right now and perhaps not taking on any more projects? I'm, admittedly, a little impatient to get these projects rolling and if he can't or won't do them I'd like to know that so I can move on to having someone else complete them.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I don't believe he actually manages his social media account at all-- another gal does that. I'd give him a ring if anything. He's more responsive that way.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. Phone him, but I do get the sense that he is swamped right now.

landisone

Rough_Rock
I emailed him about having a diamond band made after a brief phone call. No response. I went with someone else.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I sent two emails to both addresses at the beginning of June. No response. I understand that I've never worked with him before, and therefore have no rapport, but that's even more reason for an acknowledgement in my opinion. I can understand him being incredibly busy, but even a response stating he isn't taking on any current projects (perhaps creating a wait list) would be appreciated. I agree it is frustrating when you see a vendor active on Instagram and Facebook, yet receive no email response from them. I think some other users had similar frustrations on the Colored Stones threads.

Akalahab

Shiny_Rock
I contacted him in November and received responses immediately to all emails and never worked with him before. Doesn't seem like the norm for it to take so long, and I'm sure he's not trying to snub anyone.

Katesimone

Rough_Rock
I emailed him about having a diamond band made after a brief phone call. No response. I went with someone else.

No matter how good his work is, I'd go with someone else too. You shouldn't have to stress and worry the whole time he's doing this project about hearing from him, or what's going on because he won't respond to you. I've seen quite a few of these threads about him, so I would just try someone else.

bianka

Rough_Rock
My husband and I had to call and email repeatedly to get a response. Seems to be his MO right now. I wouldn't take it personally but I also would t hold out much hope that his schedule will ease in the short term.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I worked with him on a project in April and he was very responsive and very prompt. Emailed him again about a month ago about another project, never got a response. Seems like this a recent thing,

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK has always been very responsive to me. I can only think of one time where I needed to follow up with him and I've done many projects with him, although the last one was probably 4 or 5 months ago. At that time, he was on vacation and even answered my email while he was away. So I'm guessing he is either swamped or possibly on vacation. Others post on his FB and Instagram so seeing posts there doesn't mean he is around. He could be ill. Or your emails may not be reaching him for some reason. I would call. Perhaps he is so busy that they can't get back to everyone but my experience has always been great with him so I would still say this is not the norm. But I would also say, reach out to another vendor if you can't get a response after a call. Something would seem to be off, but I don't think he is just being rude.

Wmiod

Rough_Rock
I just finished a project with David a few weeks ago. I can clarify that he was away in June traveling for some kind of event. In my experience his aol is his primary, we corresponded exclusively over email.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I was another potential customer whos business he lost. I emailed him in June and never heard back. As it was a birthday present and I had a deadline, I went with another vendor.

I admit it is a pity, as I have a larger project in mind and it was supposed to be my trial run before the big project.

I hope someone will attract his attention to this thread - possibly there is a good explanation to all the silence.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a hard time contacting him thru email. I decided to just call him one day and his wife picked up the phone. I told her I had sent an email and she found it and discussed it with me over the phone.
So far I have worked on two projects with him and I am very satisfied with his work. He works fast and his prices are reasonable. I think he's just so busy working and he doesn't have time to look at his emails. When he was working on my projects I would sometimes get an email very early in the morning- like at 2 am.
Try calling him.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I think I can gather is that the most popular jewelry makers are swamped with business and maybe can't keep up with all the modes of communication. They may be working overtime as it is and just can't keep up with all the inquiries. I had this situation with another vendor a few years ago, and when I didn't have success with email, I called and left a message. When I didn't get a call back, I tried a couple more times until I got him personally, and he was so very nice. So I really don't think it is intentional or rude. It's just that some of these vendors have more communication than they can keep up with. So if there's no reply to email, I would call.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have nothing meaningful to add that hasn't already been stated here. It was a learning curve for me that designers/benches/the industry as a whole has a very distinct seasonality to it - i.e. wedding seasons, trade shows and vacation periods. I will confirm that reaching him via phone was also much easier than email for me.

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been waiting for drawings for 2 weeks and now can’t reach anyone. I’ve tried calling and leaving a message too. I love my last ring from him so much. I hope he or Amy responds soon!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been waiting for drawings for 2 weeks and now can’t reach anyone. I’ve tried calling and leaving a message too. I love my last ring from him so much. I hope he or Amy responds soon!

David is currently in Thailand. Amy has been on vacation over the week of the 4th. She is now back in the store. Their benches are all still working. Pria is their office assistant who answers the phone - and I believe she's been at the store.

They are in the process of putting on 2 new people, specifically dedicated to answering emails. I believe they start in September, at which point the situation should ease somewhat.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info, @mrs-b. I have sent several emails with no response as well. I did talk to Pria once on the phone and she said that someone is available to receive stones that come in.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I texted Amy earlier today and she responded back quickly (when I account for time zone differences). I find this to be a more convenient way for myself and her to communicate with one another.

Also, in that text she made reference to Instagram actions so I know DK isn't the only one doing stuff on their social media sites.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info, @mrs-b. I have sent several emails with no response as well. I did talk to Pria once on the phone and she said that someone is available to receive stones that come in.

@ceg - email me via LT. I'm sure I can help you with this.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mrs-b. Just emailed you!

Wholovesskunks

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the updates!!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just waited 5 weeks for a response from him, he's making a second ring for me. It is frustrating especially when you see other people's CADs and pieces coming in and you are just waiting for confirmation on a couple of queries. However, I've gone through multiple CADs and he has been patient and courteous throughout, his pricing is very reasonable and I don't doubt that they work very hard. On the two occasions I've phoned the ladies I have spoken to have been extremely courteous and pleasant.
So in my view although I have been a little frustrated at times the pros have outweighed the cons. I think if prompt communication and speedy delivery are very important he is not necessarily the vendor for you.l (at this point at least). If you want value, accommodating design and a good work ethic he is a very good option.
Edited to add - this is not the first thread in this vein. Something to bare in mind. He is busy and communication with customers if pbviosuly the bit that falls by the wayside at times, I think those of us that have had pieces made by him get why!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@meely I believe Amy does most, if not all, of the design work at DKJ, and the CADs are her work. David and Amy share the same email address, but I think that's to make sure all the emails are read when one of them is away. If you have a design question best to address Amy in the text of the email.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@meely I believe Amy does most, if not all, of the design work at DKJ, and the CADs are her work. David and Amy share the same email address, but I think that's to make sure all the emails are read when one of them is away. If you have a design question best to address Amy in the text of the email.
Thanks for the tip but in this instance my questions weren't design related. (Engraving and gold color). I've had a reply anyway now!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worked with him on a project in April and he was very responsive and very prompt. Emailed him again about a month ago about another project, never got a response. Seems like this a recent thing,

this was my experience too. I believe Amy handles all the incoming emails and gets like 500 a day

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm waiting on my (hopefully) final cads now too. My stone has been there since May! But I've told them I'm in no rush. I'm glad I saw this update though, explains why things have been particularly slow the last couple weeks. I love my other ring by them, so I'm firmly in the *I can wait* club.

ellebelle

Shiny_Rock
David is currently in Thailand. Amy has been on vacation over the week of the 4th. She is now back in the store. Their benches are all still working. Pria is their office assistant who answers the phone - and I believe she's been at the store.

They are in the process of putting on 2 new people, specifically dedicated to answering emails. I believe they start in September, at which point the situation should ease somewhat.

Do you know when David gets back from Thailand?
Also can someone explain the production process to me? What are benches and what do they do?
I just finalized my CADs with Amy but
when David looked at at my plastic model, he was concerned about the spacing around the v-prong of my pear. When I brought it up to Amy she said it was no issue. So now I'm concerned that it won't get addressed with David out of town.
Sorry I dont mean to threadjack, just curious.
Also, @meely I totally understand the frustration of seeing other projects progress and feeling left behind. Sounds like alot of us have projects nearing completion, and soon we'll have lots of new jewelry to show off!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@ellebelle Don't worry, you are in very good hands with Amy! She knows what she's doing! Once you've approved the final cad, your ring will be cast in the metal, the benches are the ones who do stone setting, engraving , polishing. The process usually takes a few weeks. When your ring is finished you will get a video of it via email and a paypal request for payment. Once you pay, your ring ships.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Initially I thought the same thing, but in some of my more recent conversations with Amy she said things like, "I will get my best CAD designer on it" implying she was not doing the CAD work and she had more than one designer. I was left with the impression that Amy was a "project manager" of sorts that worked with clients to understand, verbalize & create the vision and then managed her CAD people and benches through final completion.

@ellebelle Don't worry, you are in very good hands with Amy! She knows what she's doing! Once you've approved the final cad, your ring will be cast in the metal, the benches are the ones who do stone setting, engraving , polishing. The process usually takes a few weeks. When your ring is finished you will get a video of it via email and a paypal request for payment. Once you pay, your ring ships.

It can be done faster. As you probably recall, I was sweating bullets but Amy and the rest of the DK team pulled off a deadline I thought might not happen. One of the reasons I love them and speak highly about them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results