shape
carat
color
clarity

Circular Brilliant - Can I get an assist, please?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean, yeah probably too low in color but such a pretty stone, figured I would throw it out there just in case.

I’d say Dolly and Whitney are ones to keep an eye on, they get some amazing diamonds at really good price points.

Oh I think it’s a great option and absolutely worth sharing! Will be bright, but won’t be white lol

Depends on personal preferences for sure. I don’t consider M discernibly white either! But if it hits the sweet spot of white enough, than an N may work. It looks like a great stone with a classic transitional look. Won’t have that puffy crown that many older antiques have so it depends on what you want most @RetroQT

I can really appreciate transitionals but it’s a very different flavor

P.S. I can also tell the difference between a D and E, so maybe take some of my color feedback with a grain of salt :lol: - I just think it’s important especially for lurkers and newbies reading threads not to misunderstand and conflate brightness from light return with tint

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I think it’s a great option and absolutely worth sharing! Will be bright, but won’t be white lol

Depends on personal preferences for sure. I don’t consider M discernibly white either! But if it hits the sweet spot of white enough, than an N may work. It looks like a great stone with a classic transitional look. Won’t have that puffy crown that many older antiques have so it depends on what you want most @RetroQT

I can really appreciate transitionals but it’s a very different flavor

P.S. I can also tell the difference between a D and E, so maybe take some of my color feedback with a grain of salt :lol: - I just think it’s important especially for lurkers and newbies reading threads not to misunderstand and conflate brightness from light return with tint

I don’t mind the color of my M because it isn’t harsh. If it has some body color, I prefer more of the ivory than yellow, but definitely not discernibly brown. Since my M doesn’t have florescence, I’m not sure if having some would help with an N. I don’t think I’d go any lower, tho. Ultimately I’d prefer a higher color but I don’t want to pay higher color pricing. Hahaha!

As for OEC vs transitional, I feel like the faceting will be the overall deciding factor for me. But I also know that I am looking for decent finger coverage (5.75 finger size).

Excited that the hunt is on!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@RetroQT I think one inherent issue is that GIA grades the stones upside down.

I absolutely think that from the bottom up that stones within one color grade will have similar tint. However, with old cuts facet patterns/depths/star lengths can all vary. This variation can effect *face up* perception.

Here's a clear example to illustrate:

421F6CD3-5660-4376-9380-1AF1D4397B6C.JPG

Both of these OECs are graded L color by GIA. Neither have any significant fluoro.

ETA: One stone is my friend's e-ring. The other is one that I tried on was listed for $85k!

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don’t mind the color of my M because it isn’t harsh. If it has some body color, I prefer more of the ivory than yellow, but definitely not discernibly brown. Since my M doesn’t have florescence, I’m not sure if having some would help with an N. I don’t think I’d go any lower, tho. Ultimately I’d prefer a higher color but I don’t want to pay higher color pricing. Hahaha!

As for OEC vs transitional, I feel like the faceting will be the overall deciding factor for me. But I also know that I am looking for decent finger coverage (5.75 finger size).

Excited that the hunt is on!

Very exciting indeed! I went through some old options, the only OEC that might meet your criteria I had pinned is below…

but it is has a visible inclusion under the table which may be a dealbreaker - and it WILL have a tint, and it’s not 3 carats…hah! But beautifully cut

It’s listed for far less on their website…

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@RetroQT I think one inherent issue is that GIA grades the stones upside down.

I absolutely think that from the bottom up that stones within one color grade will have similar tint. However, with old cuts is that the facet pattern /depth/star length all vary. This variation can effect *face up* perception.

Here's a clear example to illustrate:

421F6CD3-5660-4376-9380-1AF1D4397B6C.JPG

Both of these OECs are graded L color by GIA. Neither have any significant fluoro.

Sure, but I don’t think GIA grading upside down is a problem. It’s the easiest way to discern color with the highest accuracy. I think that’s why light return and tint need to be evaluated separately and transparently.

Light return impacts how you perceive color, but it doesn’t change the color itself.

There are so many visual tricks that can impact how we perceive color! We’ve seen here on PS how the setting color or even just style can have a dramatic impact on our perception of color, or gosh even the tones in ones skin can emphasize color unexpectedly

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My M (that I do love) doesn’t have any fluorescence. If it had some, that could make it a little “whiter”, right?

Fluoro can help in some lights. My 4 ct M has medium fluoro. It faces up white in almost every scenario, but that may because it is spready...

The 7 ct N that I loved had strong fluoro. I do wonder if the strong fluoro would make it look hazy in some lights...

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Very exciting indeed! I went through some old options, the only OEC that might meet your criteria I had pinned is below…

but it is has a visible inclusion under the table which may be a dealbreaker - and it WILL have a tint, and it’s not 3 carats…hah! But beautifully cut

It is very pretty! When you say “it’s listed for far less on their website”, do you mean on the seller’s website? I didn’t see their info.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Fluoro can help in some lights. My 4 ct M has medium fluoro. It faces up white in almost every scenario, but that may because it is spready...

The 7 ct N that I loved had strong fluoro. I do wonder if the strong fluoro would make it look hazy in some lights...

Yeah, I like the idea of faint fluoro if at all. I don’t think any of my bigger stones have any.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Yum. I like that one!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It is very pretty! When you say “it’s listed for far less on their website”, do you mean on the seller’s website? I didn’t see their info.

Here’s their name and link to IG pics

Don’t take the inclusions lightly! I’d just make sure it’s something you’re comfortable with.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Sure, but I don’t think GIA grading upside down is a problem. It’s the easiest way to discern color with the highest accuracy. I think that’s why light return and tint need to be evaluated separately and transparently.

Light return impacts how you perceive color, but it doesn’t change the color itself.

There are so many visual tricks that can impact how we perceive color! We’ve seen here on PS how the setting color or even just style can have a dramatic impact on our perception of color, or gosh even the tones in ones skin can emphasize color unexpectedly

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Except, I don't think any of us should be buying old cuts for optimal light return :geek2:

Last edited:

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I want the old cut for the chunky confetti. Because if I was looking for a modern glittery diamond, I’d be an ACA girl without a doubt. LOL!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

Here’s their name and link to IG pics

Don’t take the inclusions lightly! I’d just make sure it’s something you’re comfortable with.

Found it, thank you! And I don’t know that the inclusion would bother me so much as knowing I might find another well cut stone of similar color and possibly higher clarity for the same price that doesn’t have the inclusion. If that makes sense.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think this one missed being graded a CB due to the star length. But maybe too checkerboard-y for you? Great color. Should have good fire due to the depth. Is the face up large enough for you? If this was my stone, I might want to open the culet up a little...

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I think this one missed being graded a CB due to the star length. But maybe too checkerboard-y for you? Great color. Should have good fire due to the depth. Is the face up large enough for you? If this was my stone, I might want to open the culet up a little...

Definitely pretty, but out of my price range. I have to stay firm, especially if tax is included.

I’ll show you “the one” that got me started down this path. It an M-VVS2 3.17ct OEC. (9.41 - 9.43 x 5.77 mm; 61.3% depth; 47% table)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Definitely pretty, but out of my price range. I have to stay firm, especially if tax is included.

I’ll show you “the one” that got me started down this path. It an M-VVS2 3.17ct OEC. (9.41 - 9.43 x 5.77 mm; 61.3% depth; 47% table)

Wait, what's your price range? Under $29K? Or what is your ideal price?

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
For smaller vendors id also absolutely negotiate. The revive jewels stone is 19k on their website, and 23k on 1stDibs :lol:

That’s good to know!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Oh dayum!

Beautiful. They are outrageously expensive FYI

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just another word about Dolly. Even if that stone is gone I’m sure she might have some stuff that hasn’t been listed yet. She’s a part-time bling slinger so often and she has more than she’s able to list at once. I’m very curious to hear what she says so let us know when she writes you back!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I knew more accounts to follow to watch for deals. Should have been paying more attention when y’all were on the search for others.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Just another word about Dolly. Even if that stone is gone I’m sure she might have some stuff that hasn’t been listed yet. She’s a part-time bling slinger so often and she has more than she’s able to list at once. I’m very curious to hear what she says so let us know when she writes you back!

Oh, I definitely will! I keep checking my inbox to see if she’s read the message but I keep forgetting she’s 3 hours behind me and working.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check Dolly’s stories, something coming up tonight 3 carats!

Attachments

• 5456624D-652E-4D6E-B031-8CB61C037E50.jpeg
    5456624D-652E-4D6E-B031-8CB61C037E50.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 226
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results