shape
carat
color
clarity

Chic Ering ?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever you choose, do it with a vendor with whom you can return it.
OP I would NOT be looking at an oval for someone who wants a timeless shape. If she is into brand names and classic pieces, she would want a classic shape that will never go out of style!

Please pick either a round solitaire or an emerald cut solitaire, those are your two options. No ovals and definitely no eternity bands.

This. Thank you.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
OP I would NOT be looking at an oval for someone who wants a timeless shape. If she is into brand names and classic pieces, she would want a classic shape that will never go out of style!

Please pick either a round solitaire or an emerald cut solitaire, those are your two options. No ovals and definitely no eternity bands.

Ok, rounds are easy there was a G, VS2 from white flash posted in a 6 prong (Elegant solitaire perhaps?) . That’s simple.

May I get some EC picks from the “diamond geeks” please and then we can put a flag in it!

Thank you for everyone’s feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, rounds are easy there was a G, VS2 from white flash posted in a 6 prong (Elegant solitaire perhaps?) . That’s simple.

May I get some EC picks from the “diamond geeks” please and then we can put a flag in it!

Thank you for everyone’s feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

If from WF, I am not sure if this is the one that was linked but It is a gorgeous diamond: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4226207.htm I would personally set it in Vatche U113, it’s a beautiful solitaire and the closest to a T&Co solitaire, which she must be familiar with.

This is also an interesting choice and bgd right now offer 10% off. https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/1.234-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104106420013

Nonetheless, the WF G/VS2 is really a gorgeous stone.

I am not sure of I would consider an emerald cut. She hasn’t particularly expressed a want for an EC, that’s just everyone’s interpretation of what “chic” means. While a lovely cut, they are just not everyone’s cup of tea. Round stones are very easy to like, easy to pair with a wedding band, easy to dress up or dress down, easy to change the setting for, easy to one day pair as studs if she doesn’t want to wear her e-ring... you get the idea. Also, if not a brand name ring, I would personally limit the choice to a vendor with a great upgrade policy for a piece of mind. Also, I think that she will enjoy knowing that she has a super-ideal diamond and appreciate the exclusivity factor. That’s just my 2 cents.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If from WF, I am not sure if this is the one that was linked but It is a gorgeous diamond: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4226207.htm I would personally set it in Vatche U113, it’s a beautiful solitaire and the closest to a T&Co solitaire, which she must be familiar with.

This is also an interesting choice and bgd right now offer 10% off. https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/1.234-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104106420013

Nonetheless, the WF G/VS2 is really a gorgeous stone.

I am not sure of I would consider an emerald cut. She hasn’t particularly expressed a want for an EC, that’s just everyone’s interpretation of what “chic” means. While a lovely cut, they are just not everyone’s cup of tea. Round stones are very easy to like, easy to pair with a wedding band, easy to dress up or dress down, easy to change the setting for, easy to one day pair as studs if she doesn’t want to wear her e-ring... you get the idea. Also, if not a brand name ring, I would personally limit the choice to a vendor with a great upgrade policy for a piece of mind. Also, I think that she will enjoy knowing that she has a super-ideal diamond and appreciate the exclusivity factor. That’s just my 2 cents.

You make a lot of good points, and my fave one is this: it's hard to hate a round. Everyone has their fave shapes but I think it's very rare for someone to HATE rounds. Some people hate pears, or don't care for step cuts, or etc etc etc. But does anyone really hate rounds? Let alone, superideal rounds?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Given the recent dialogue about going with a round diamond, what about a 3 stone ring with round diamonds? Classic, yet a little different and chic.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
OP, did you say neither of her sisters' rings was from a big name designer? Or were they? Was thinking back to your first post where you mention they are under a carat.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
OP, did you say neither of her sisters' rings was from a big name designer? Or were they? Was thinking back to your first post where you mention they are under a carat.

No they are not, they are “mall” jewelry rings Neil Lane and Vera Wang and yes under a carat in a halo and not worn as a set..

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
No they are not, they are “mall” jewelry rings Neil Lane and Vera Wang and yes under a carat in a halo and not worn as a set..

Good to know:)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, it seems that when she said “chic” she simply meant a classic solitaire and not halo ring like the ones her sisters have which now they also never wear.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
A round solitaire is literally the most common engagement ring in the world. I would have to think “chic” would cover a broader category than just that. I dress in classic pieces and appreciate brand names, and I wouldn’t want a round solitaire.

Where is the soon to be husband in all this? He knows her best. If I asked for a surprise, I’d want it to come from him. JMO.

And I still think an oval is timeless and chic. It’s not always as popular as it is now, but it’s always been around.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just caution against ovals. The bow tie is very hard to unsee once seen. And therefore the husband should be sure that the wearer won’t mind it. If a person wants an oval, they should probably be the person to choose it as the wearer’s eyes are the eyes that will need to be ok with that bow tie, minimal or not.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just caution against ovals. The bow tie is very hard to unsee once seen. And therefore the husband should be sure that the wearer won’t mind it. If a person wants an oval, they should probably be the person to choose it as the wearer’s eyes are the eyes that will need to be ok with that bow tie, minimal or not.

Ditto. Also, imo ovals must be selected in a high color, otherwise the tint is visible, Additionally, they can be more difficult to pair with a band, especially one from T&Co that she might want.

While a classic round solitaire is popular, if her reference is her sisters‘ halo e-rings (And presumably “not chic”), a soli is likely what “Chic” and classic is to her.

Lastly, all this comes from a person who wanted a fancy yellow cushion halo engagement ring. I received a round stone and 5 upgrades later, I chose round every single time.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You make a lot of good points, and my fave one is this: it's hard to hate a round. Everyone has their fave shapes but I think it's very rare for someone to HATE rounds. Some people hate pears, or don't care for step cuts, or etc etc etc. But does anyone really hate rounds? Let alone, superideal rounds?

Hate is a strong word. We exist, maybe not in large numbers though... I think I would personally say a modern round ring, super ideal or not, is not something that I would personally want and would not wear if given to me.

BUT!

I do think it is a safe choice for someone that seems like they have a very traditional preppy bend though. That, after all, is the question. It's a very solid choice here for this recipient.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Ditto. Also, imo ovals must be selected in a high color, otherwise the tint is visible, Additionally, they can be more difficult to pair with a band, especially one from T&Co that she might want.

While a classic round solitaire is popular, if her reference is her sisters‘ halo e-rings (And presumably “not chic”), a soli is likely what “Chic” and classic is to her.

Lastly, all this comes from a person who wanted a fancy yellow cushion halo engagement ring. I received a round stone and 5 upgrades later, I chose round every single time.

Oh, I totally agree a halo is not chic and also probably not what she wants. I just question assuming chic only means one specific style. In no way do I think it’s a round solitaire is a bad choice, but you said it’s pretty much the only choice, when she might not have had it in mind at all.

A super ideal round with a great upgrade policy is what, like, 80% of regulars here would want. But is it what she would want and is it chic? I personally don’t think so, but who knows.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I totally agree a halo is not chic and also probably not what she wants. I just question assuming chic only means one specific style. In no way do I think it’s a round solitaire is a bad choice, but you said it’s pretty much the only choice, when she might not have had it in mind at all.

A super ideal round with a great upgrade policy is what, like, 80% of regulars here would want. But is it what she would want and is it chic? I personally don’t think so, but who knows.

I think that we are on the same page. Of course that many things can mean chic and classy. I just think that with the limited information she has given, that is the “safest” choice. The lady in question reminds me very much of a friend of mine, she just wanted something “timeless” and also wanted to be surprised. Her fiancé got her a classic solitaire and she was thrilled. There are many other options that will fit the bill and she will like my be happy with whatever she is given, but I personally don’t see a reason for the purchaser to make his life difficult and try to select a shape that is more particular like an oval or EC. The return/upgrade policy is simply suggested for a peace of mind. Although, she seems to me like the kind of person that will not want to upgrade her e-ring. Nonetheless, at the end of the day, it’s OPs brother’s choice!

Last edited:

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
OP, it seems that when she said “chic” she simply meant a classic solitaire and not halo ring like the ones her sisters have which now they also never wear.

This is a good interpretation. Solitaires are streamlined, classy, and open the wearer up to many future pairing options both with regard to wedding bands and other jewelry.

And I think I would add the possibility that "chic" could translate to a ring that is not from a big box mall store. (at least not a perceived to be lower quality one) Part of me still wonders if a woman with so many classic designer pieces wouldn't appreciate a designer ring. It almost seems like the safer option in my mind if her sisters have smaller rings and there is a 10k budget.

But again, I feel like we are all only best guessing without her direct input. Even figuring out which shape she'd like would focus the search. Does she have a pinterest board? (Not sure if anyone asked this already.)

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
This is a good interpretation. Solitaires are streamlined, classy, and open the wearer up to many future pairing options both with regard to wedding bands and other jewelry.

And I think I would add the possibility that "chic" could translate to a ring that is not from a big box mall store. (at least not a perceived to be lower quality one) Part of me still wonders if a woman with so many classic designer pieces wouldn't appreciate a designer ring. It almost seems like the safer option in my mind if her sisters have smaller rings and there is a 10k budget.

But again, I feel like we are all only best guessing without her direct input. Even figuring out which shape she'd like would focus the search. Does she have a pinterest board? (Not sure if anyone asked this already.)

Thank you ladies for all of your thoughts, Unfortunately no “clues” are you thinking blue box? The only preloved options I have found close to her size are in “I” color for ECs :

This one has side stones (classic) but may pose issues w Pairing a wedding band and o think we have all concluded a solitaire is best.

The Novo has melee on the band

Looking at the classic round Tiffany does not guarantee a good stone either.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
A round solitaire is literally the most common engagement ring in the world. I would have to think “chic” would cover a broader category than just that. I dress in classic pieces and appreciate brand names, and I wouldn’t want a round solitaire.

Where is the soon to be husband in all this? He knows her best. If I asked for a surprise, I’d want it to come from him. JMO.

And I still think an oval is timeless and chic. It’s not always as popular as it is now, but it’s always been around.

My brother thought oval was classic with a twist that is where the recommendation of ovals and ideal ovals came in.

My brother thought oval was classic with a twist that is where the recommendation of ovals and ideal ovals came in.

FWIW, I agree with your brother - ECs might be my favorite shape and super chic to me but ovals are a close second, and I think they are beautifully classic while still a bit different. Rounds are the quintessential engagement ring stone, I cant see her hating it but I can see her being pleasantly surprised with another shape, and I don’t think she has super strong feelings on shape or she probably would’ve told your brother not to get a specific shape. If your brother thinks oval is the way to go, he knows her best so he might have a point. Does she not have a super close friend or sister you can ask for advice on style? I still like the idea of getting a solitaire on a simple band and a branded wedding ring to pair it with instead of getting the ering from a name brand.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
FWIW, I agree with your brother - ECs might be my favorite shape and super chic to me but ovals are a close second, and I think they are beautifully classic while still a bit different. Rounds are the quintessential engagement ring stone, I cant see her hating it but I can see her being pleasantly surprised with another shape, and I don’t think she has super strong feelings on shape or she probably would’ve told your brother not to get a specific shape. If your brother thinks oval is the way to go, he knows her best so he might have a point. Does she not have a super close friend or sister you can ask for advice on style? I still like the idea of getting a solitaire on a simple band and a branded wedding ring to pair it with instead of getting the ering from a name brand.

Yes I can bring her sisters into the decision, I know they both have rounds in halos and have stated they wouldn’t venture from “sparkle” but this could more be there own preferences since she has not stated hers. Their thoughts would lead away from EC (I know ECs do flash/sparkle but are more of an acquired taste in their performance)

Her BFF told me she very much wants it to come from him and if presented with a different shape it may demonstrate more response effort since it wouldn’t be the “norm”

If purchased from a vendor definitely a solitaire, with the Tiffany and Co rings I was looking at available classic styles.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ladies for all of your thoughts, Unfortunately no “clues” are you thinking blue box? The only preloved options I have found close to her size are in “I” color for ECs :

This one has side stones (classic) but may pose issues w Pairing a wedding band and o think we have all concluded a solitaire is best.

The Novo has melee on the band

Looking at the classic round Tiffany does not guarantee a good stone either.

It is so hard to say, but I wouldn't rule it out. Someone who sees the specialness in the other pieces she wears could see the specialness in a designer ring imo. And there are some people who value the piece as a whole designer piece rather than focus on the 1% of cut diamonds. But are you sure she'd be okay with pre-owned jewelry? Either way, you would need to be very careful you are getting a genuine Tiffany on the second hand market. I'm not sure they are willing to authenticate outside pieces like they once did.

I will say that Tiffany is a pretty accessible place to try on rings in larger cities. Would she consider a trip to try on rings for style, color, shape under the pretense of just seeing how each look on her hand? He would probably be able to suss out if designer is what she had in mind or if she is looking for the best version of a certain style from a vendor who will give him more "bang for the buck." If she could possibly want a designer wedding band, she could also try those on to see what setting considerations she needs to keep in mind. He does have a 10k budget. It would not get him a huge new designer ring, but he could absolutely find something nice if she wanted to go that route and was comfortable with near colorless/VS. It also doesn't sound like she's asking for a certain carat size anyway.

If not Tiffany, maybe there are some other jewelry houses that have presence where they live? Cartier? Bvlgari?

I still feel like he could create a real surprise if they went and looked.

Yes I can bring her sisters into the decision, I know they both have rounds in halos and have stated they wouldn’t venture from “sparkle” but this could more be there own preferences since she has not stated hers. Their thoughts would lead away from EC (I know ECs do flash/sparkle but are more of an acquired taste in their performance)

Her BFF told me she very much wants it to come from him and if presented with a different shape it may demonstrate more response effort since it wouldn’t be the “norm”

If purchased from a vendor definitely a solitaire, with the Tiffany and Co rings I was looking at available classic styles.

ECs are a different beast from RBs for sure. The safer option in this case might be the oval solitaire - if her BFF says that she wants it to be his effort and that’s what he came up with, it might be best. I do find it telling that she didn’t say something like “I want something like my sisters’” - so to be safe both halo and RB should be out - and instead said she wanted something chic and she wanted to see his effort. If he presents her something classic and wearable (able to hold its own and pair with any style of wedding band or branded ring she wants) and he can tell her “I thought this was the most in keeping with your style” because it truly was his idea - why not? Sounds like everyone would be happy with this. And the experts here would be more than happy/able to help him pick the perfect oval, if that’s what you ultimately settle on! (Though you might want to start a new thread regardless once you figure out parameters like shape, because otherwise people coming to this thread will get lost in the 5 pages of debate over shape and style).

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock

This is exactly what I would want.

So when is he making his pricescope account? You’re being an amazing sister, but at a certain point he needs to take over the reigns. Oval, emerald, preloved Tiffany— it all sounds beautiful. It’s a matter of what he’s willing to learn about and make an informed choice that is the most ”her.”

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Why preloved Tiffany? With a 10K budget and no requirement for a large stone (perhaps even a slight preference for a smaller, discreet piece), there is no need to go preloved.

I personally would be totally OK with a second-hand e-ring, but most women I know in real life would be really unhappy with the prospect. Especially if it came from a stranger, and potentially a relationship that didn't work out, rather than passed down from a loved family member. Even if you know she likes other preloved items or jewellery, don't count on her feeling the same about an e-ring.

I also think her strong preference for a surprise suggests it matters that her husband-to-be chooses it himself, more than the specifics of the ring. I get it, as it's a very common sentiment here in the UK.

My gut feeling is that she wants him to go into Tiffany / Cartier / insert another designer she wears, spend some time looking at rings in his budget, and picks out the one he feels is beautiful and most "her". I wonder if we are all overthinking it a bit here.

Last edited:

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Why preloved Tiffany? With a 10K budget and no requirement for a large stone (perhaps even a slight preference for a smaller, discreet piece), there is no need to go preloved.

I personally would be totally OK with a second-hand e-ring, but most women I know in real life would be really unhappy with the prospect. Especially if it came from a stranger, and potentially a relationship that didn't work out, rather than passed down from a loved family member. Even if you know she likes other preloved items or jewellery, don't count on her feeling the same about an e-ring.

I also think her strong preference for a surprise suggests it matters that her husband-to-be chooses it himself, more than the specifics of the ring. I get it, as it's a very common sentiment here in the UK.

I agree with this.

That said, I do think that he could get away with saying to her that HE wants to see how some things look on her hand before surprising her so he can choose best. Even if he gets a few cheapies off Amazon in different shapes and stays at home. Hints will be dropped. And it may include her realizing she may want a tiny bit more input before the final surprise. Or she may say, I really don't care-you choose. But at least then he'd know that.

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
I would caution against ovals as the lady in question seems to be very classic, preppy, and reserved in her style, and I think ovals are not going to be classic enough for her aesthetic. Plus, I find people tend to love or hate ovals, so it's a risk. Plus, if she isn't familiar with ovals, any bowtie effect could be a problem.

Given the description of her style, the brands she wears, and her other jewelry, I think an understated but perfect and perfectly made solitaire is the way to go. I'd go either round or maybe an octavia.

I also suspect that "chic" may not have been the best word choice, when she gave her vague parameters. I, too, see chic as having a bit of an edge to it, an element of daringness or insouciance.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I don't love them, I think they're overdone. Hate is a strong word, but I personally am a step cut person; I also love pears and well done radiants. To me they are chic because they are outside of the norm and a truly good one is rare and irreplaceable. That said, chic means something different to everybody. A superideal is one flavor of excellent diamond. For others, there are more.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
These things exist: www The shop has provided rings, quite perfect classic types [these www became a three stone from around here].

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results