shape
carat
color
clarity

Chic Ering ?

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

My brother is looking to propose and they have talked about it and she wants it to be a surprise and has only said “ surprise me with something chic” chic to me is a EC eternity band and plain shank solitaire but not sure what chic means to her.

Her social circle:

Wear diamond bands w plain band

Her sisters were engaged with less than a carat with halos but no longer wear as married women just the wedding band rather than the set.

Her:

30s, PhD, active, wears mostly solids vs prints, natural manicure, no make up, works from home so no worries there, no heels just flats like loafers think Gucci Princetown, High waist pants and tucked in blouse.

day to day jewelry: Hermès bracelet, Tiffany and co bezel diamond studs or pearl earrings love ring/trinity on middle finger. Size 4 ring size

thoughts:
No halo setting
Plain shank to match w a Cartier love or trinity or Tiffany and co wedding band if desired instead of replacing the ring with just a band) no engraving
Colorless or G-H
VS clarity
1 carat
Budget 10k diamond only

Questions:

Any thoughts on shape ?
Solitaire w a twist ?
Preloved T&Co?

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I see BGD has some 1 carat signature emerald cuts with nice color clarity combo on his site. They will have smaller face up though.

A MODERN cushion solitaire (set east west) or even w round sides May fit the bill to make it more chic rather than classic round but the key here will be finding one that performs and Not mushy crushed ice.

Echoing the others - I would say the most classic and chic is a solitaire in WG, I would go with as thin a band as possible so you see very little metal from the top.

For me personally, emerald cuts are the chic-est of all shapes (I love step cuts and longer stones elongate the fingers which is very chic). If not emerald cut, then MRB is probably the safest option, but I would go emerald > MRB because I think MRB on 6 prong solitaire is super classic and gorgeous but not necessarily chic, as in, not a style statement. An Asscher could also be chic and a bit different, but the only issue is that it faces up smaller than it is. With a budget of 10k though you could get a stunning Asscher and go a bit bigger than a carat so that faces up more like a 1ct MRB.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I really like the first ring bonfire posted with the EWNS prongs with an Asscher or EC. BGD? Or James Allen ?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This part stands out to me:

Her sisters were engaged with less than a carat with halos but no longer wear as married women just the wedding band rather than the set.
What about a larger eternity band as the engagement ring? The wedding band could be a plain band worn next to this eternity. Very chic, very classic and timeless, and very wearable with all her current (and future!) jewellery. 10k is plenty for a substantial band.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Step cut eternity w EC’s? ID jewelry?

I would do an eternity with rounds personally - the curved outline lends itself to a basket or U-prong setting. Emeralds are all sharp angles and straight lines, IMO harder to mate with a setting (aesthetically - perfectly doable from a practical perspective) without going the channel route. Channels get bulky quickly as stone size increases.

Does your SO not care for round diamonds, or prefer ECs @GMAC?

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Any recommendations of ECs for the solitaire option ? Like I mentioned he can get a 1 carat from BGD but could get something larger from James Allen unless a 7x5 1 carat will do. I don’t see many choosing BGD for their signature cut when I search.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Her social circle:

The shop is the best maker of eternity bands I know of & the product is always a benchmark for anything else - even the much, much better known makers, or the finest of old school platinum. Hers would stand out among peers, even if it will not be very large & these things get uncomfortable quickly [OK, just about anythng can be worn, but over a couple of carats total such as the mentioned ring, it is no longer a ring you can forget you are wearing.]

2c

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I would do an eternity with rounds personally - the curved outline lends itself to a basket or U-prong setting. Emeralds are all sharp angles and straight lines, IMO harder to mate with a setting without going the channel route. Channels get bulky quickly as stone size increases.

Does your SO not care for round diamonds, or prefer ECs @GMAC?

He is planning a eternity band for the wedding band..

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Any recommendations of ECs for the solitaire option ?

It is my favorite cut; will look, but meanwhile this www exists ... I know that the lok of this cut pairs very well with step cuts, as if 'related', since there is such a ring with both around here.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This is one the brightest step cuts - at least as it looks in its current display [much to be said] www It is one of the higher priced for its weight & details, because it is larger for its weight with no detraction [on the contrary!] - it is easy to match it size among 1.7-1.8 cts on offer. None of the more rectangular step cuts - >1.4cts / D-G / FL-VS2 / <$11K - caught my eye quite as much.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look and idea of an eternity band as her engagement ring. It's super chic, classic, and fits with her social circle. I do want to caution though that unless you know she would be happy with it, she might be expecting an engagement ring and could be disappointed.

Having said that, a coworker of mine has 2 eternity rings stacked - one slightly bigger than the other (not sure which is the engagement ring and which is the wedding band). She wears the larger one on the bottom and the smaller one on top, and it looks amazing!

The only downfall with eternity bands that should be taken into consideration is that they can't be resized. So another option is a 5 stone, 7 stone, half, or 3/4 eternity band.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
This part stands out to me:

What about a larger eternity band as the engagement ring? The wedding band could be a plain band worn next to this eternity. Very chic, very classic and timeless, and very wearable with all her current (and future!) jewellery. 10k is plenty for a substantial band.

I love this idea! I often wish this is what i got!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I think of chic I think of something with a slight edge or daring to it. Perhaps an emerald cut in a tension-like band east/west perhaps.
Or a solitaire with prongs at N/S/E/W instead of on the corners. Like this but all metal...
Capture.PNG

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the emerald cut idea. Love love love. What about a super thin bezel, or an east/west setting to make it chic?

Or, how about a yellow diamond three stone, like Olivia Palermo has? Would this suit her skin tone?

These pics are from Stephanie Gottlieb’s Instagram. 52155284-6645-4583-AF6A-58F92909B843.jpeg 4403E0D2-E51D-4595-8D25-EDAD82CB85B5.jpeg 311868EA-0F0B-44F1-9B5B-2B4C247584B2.jpeg 168DEB3D-164E-4BA9-98FF-669096FA8540.jpeg D2932E46-04ED-4EF7-A8E8-C6BEB8E1626F.jpeg 2E619870-123B-4D27-BAF7-675C7F159E0A.jpeg

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your replies, so based on all the responses it looks like we are looking for a 1.5 EC or two stacked eternity bands (would need a spacer in between and not sure on what carat weight each would need to be) or just a larger band with a plain band (although this is uncertain since she may associate the diamond band as the wedding band) I lean towards the EC for this reason.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your replies, so based on all the responses it looks like we are looking for a 1.5 EC or two stacked eternity bands (would need a spacer in between and not sure on what carat weight each would need to be) or just a larger band with a plain band (although this is uncertain since she may associate the diamond band as the wedding band) I lean towards the EC for this reason.

An EC would be super chic, yet classic! I don't think you necessarily need to do an EW setting or anything too different, as the EC is chic enough on its own!

You may be able to find a 2ct EC under $10K. Larger ECs look best IMO, but with step cuts you'll definitely want to make sure it's eye clean and color is very visible as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results