shape
carat
color
clarity

Chic Ering ?

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Any suggestions on James Allen emerald cut stones @Matthews1127 or others?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a few to chew on...havent gone through the whole list yet.

Could be a little more active in the center but not bad

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.53-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-8597386 too many facets dark face up?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.51-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-8959445 not as big as the others

EDIT...btw, I'm just going by how the stone looks. Not checking anything else at this point. I'm finding a lot of Hs.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more vote for the eternity band. If I were getting married again, it's what I'd do.

And it has a great deal of je ne sais quoi - very relaxed, understated elegance - and she sounds like that sort of girl. Also, a 1ct solitaire is lovely, but it's pretty common, and her taste, while largely casual and refined, sounds more individual than that.

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up on the fact that her existing jewellery seems to be all, or mostly, designer brands. Has she indicated whether this is important to her? What about something like the Cartier Ballerine that is deliberately designed for smaller diamonds, is discreet and lower set?

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I picked up on the fact that her existing jewellery seems to be all, or mostly, designer brands. Has she indicated whether this is important to her? What about something like the Cartier Ballerine that is deliberately designed for smaller diamonds, is discreet and lower set?

Yes, This is why I mentioned possible preloved Tiffany and co as well..

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
One more vote for the eternity band. If I were getting married again, it's what I'd do.

And it has a great deal of je ne sais quoi - very relaxed, understated elegance - and she sounds like that sort of girl. Also, a 1ct solitaire is lovely, but it's pretty common, and her taste, while largely casual and refined, sounds more individual than that.

Which vendor would you look at ? You vote for Rounds as well ?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think step cut when I think chic. An emerald cut east west is different and chic to me.

What about a French cut eternity band? That's something else that comes to mind.

Also it seems like she's partial to designers and branded items. Is she going to want something that's a branded piece?

I actually feel like if she already wears a few designer pieces, she might not want an obvious designer engagement ring! Since she already stacks a bunch of cartier, tiffany etc. everyday. Perhaps the wedding band (the eternity that you mentioned) could be a branded piece but for the engagement ring I would go solitaire.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
So 3 eternity bands could be a bit aggressive, but this woman has 3 all different shapes, and I love the look of that. I would consider doing two different shapes.

The emerald is 6 carats total, the round is 4 and the princess is 4.5. IMG_8515.jpeg

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
I would really caution against an eternity ring for the engagement ring unless she has a strong preference for that style (in which case, fantastic!)

So many women find that their ring size changes significantly over time, particularly after pregnancy, and having an eternity resized is a really big deal. I'm going to echo what many others have said and vote for an EC solitaire - or an MRB with tapered baguette sidestones, which gives a traditional solitaire a bit of an art deco kick, imo.

What a fun project to be be part of!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which vendor would you look at ? You vote for Rounds as well ?

I think 10k can run down very fast. An EC eternity can cost a bomb, and not give a lot of finger coverage to boot.

I like *this*:

I love the way it's set, and they're nice, clean, white diamonds - G VS2. An oval eternity is a bit out of the norm, while still being a true classic. This is classy, unusual, understated, and I'll guarantee she'll be the only one wearing one! And it's 3 ctw - and that ain't nothin'...

ETA If I were doing rounds - I'd go custom. But not with this. This is beautifully set, and custom isn't warranted in this case. You could also see the finished ring and - if you don't like it - return it, which you can't do with custom once the designer has bought the stones and done the setting etc. Ovals also give excellent finger coverage, so this would be a knockout, without being over the top.

ETA x 2 - And it's right on budget.

L

lydial

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I am not good at staying in budget... but: if you go with a super low price simple soli (eg: https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-rose-gold_49652) the bride to be could be presented with a 2 ct EC, eg: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD13603400?track=FCOM&slot=2&type=closestAlternative . That to me screams chic and it very wearable with the plethora of designer jewelry already owned. To me platinum would be the way to go.

I wonder if the inclusion on the table would be visible or if it would be eyeclean ?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

My brother is looking to propose and they have talked about it and she wants it to be a surprise and has only said “ surprise me with something chic” chic to me is a EC eternity band and plain shank solitaire but not sure what chic means to her.

Her social circle:

Wear diamond bands w plain band

Her sisters were engaged with less than a carat with halos but no longer wear as married women just the wedding band rather than the set.

Her:

30s, PhD, active, wears mostly solids vs prints, natural manicure, no make up, works from home so no worries there, no heels just flats like loafers think Gucci Princetown, High waist pants and tucked in blouse.

day to day jewelry: Hermès bracelet, Tiffany and co bezel diamond studs or pearl earrings love ring/trinity on middle finger. Size 4 ring size

thoughts:
No halo setting
Plain shank to match w a Cartier love or trinity or Tiffany and co wedding band if desired instead of replacing the ring with just a band) no engraving
Colorless or G-H
VS clarity
1 carat
Budget 10k diamond only

Questions:

Any thoughts on shape ?
Solitaire w a twist ?
Preloved T&Co?

One more thing, if she’s in the medical field I would definitely go with a bezel low setting or eternity band.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
One more thing, if she’s in the medical field I would definitely go with a bezel low setting or eternity band.

No she works from home :)

L

lydial

I wonder if the inclusion on the table would be visible or if it would be eyeclean ?

I would ask . And it is an I. Whiteflash has some “virtual” 2+ ct ECs G/H in the price range.

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
I would go for either a six prong round solitaire or an double-claw prong emerald solitaire, both of which are chic, simple, and safe.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I think 10k can run down very fast. An EC eternity can cost a bomb, and not give a lot of finger coverage to boot.

I like *this*:

I love the way it's set, and they're nice, clean, white diamonds - G VS2. An oval eternity is a bit out of the norm, while still being a true classic. This is classy, unusual, understated, and I'll guarantee she'll be the only one wearing one! And it's 3 ctw - and that ain't nothin'...

ETA If I were doing rounds - I'd go custom. But not with this. This is beautifully set, and custom isn't warranted in this case. You could also see the finished ring and - if you don't like it - return it, which you can't do with custom once the designer has bought the stones and done the setting etc. Ovals also give excellent finger coverage, so this would be a knockout, without being over the top.

ETA x 2 - And it's right on budget.

I do like this!

GMAC

Shiny_Rock

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
@mrs-b the oval eternity is my favorite so far not sure if I would suggest pairing it with a round smaller eternity but she could wear this with a plain band from Cartier or Tiffany or her trinity or possible a love wedding band. I think this really suits her style!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that she wears Hermes, Tiffany, pearls, and may want a Cartier wedding band, she has a STRONG traditional style. I would bet $$ that chic to her does NOT mean she does not want a traditional solitaire diamond engagement ring. I'm going with emerald cut solitaire, which is a traditional solitaire diamond, but a straight step cut which is the definition of chic. I would not do a bezel. Double claw prongs on a well cut, high color emerald cut diamond. You're well meaning and thoughtful enough to give us good information about her style. Do NOT go eternity band. That is for an anniversary, for HER.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that she wears Hermes, Tiffany, pearls, and may want a Cartier wedding band, she has a STRONG traditional style. I would bet $$ that chic to her does NOT mean she does not want a traditional solitaire diamond engagement ring. I'm going with emerald cut solitaire, which is a traditional solitaire diamond, but a straight step cut which is the definition of chic. I would not do a bezel. Double claw prongs on a well cut, high color emerald cut diamond. You're well meaning and thoughtful enough to give us good information about her style. Do NOT go eternity band. That is for an anniversary, for HER.

I think you explained this really well and I find it to be a compelling argument! Consider me in agreement! But, who can say? Can’t wait to see what OP’s brother ends up getting!

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I love the emerald cut idea. Love love love. What about a super thin bezel, or an east/west setting to make it chic?

Or, how about a yellow diamond three stone, like Olivia Palermo has? Would this suit her skin tone?

These pics are from Stephanie Gottlieb’s Instagram. 52155284-6645-4583-AF6A-58F92909B843.jpeg 4403E0D2-E51D-4595-8D25-EDAD82CB85B5.jpeg 311868EA-0F0B-44F1-9B5B-2B4C247584B2.jpeg 168DEB3D-164E-4BA9-98FF-669096FA8540.jpeg D2932E46-04ED-4EF7-A8E8-C6BEB8E1626F.jpeg 2E619870-123B-4D27-BAF7-675C7F159E0A.jpeg

She is very fair in skin tone!

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Here's a few to chew on...havent gone through the whole list yet.

Could be a little more active in the center but not bad

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.53-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-8597386 too many facets dark face up?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.51-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-8959445 not as big as the others

EDIT...btw, I'm just going by how the stone looks. Not checking anything else at this point. I'm finding a lot of Hs.

thank you for your time! I will review these

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results