shape
carat
color
clarity

Chic Ering ?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the EC solitaire from what I’m reading we have to worry about color, clarity, size, and performance (p2 and p3 angles, on and off steps). Very intimidating

Don't let that fear steer you away from the best choice. Make it official. An EC is what you're searching for. People here are experienced and will help you find the best EC for your budget. @Matthews1127 has already volunteered, and others will jump in. People here are diamond geeks. They know what they're talking about. Just take the eternity off the table already.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I must add, I’M not intimidated, and will be happy to help you in any capacity. I’m a step cut girl, and this is totally up my alley! :cool2:

What do you think of the stones recommended previously ? The Asscher is very pretty but it is a VS2 with the inclusion on the table. I do see that a lot of people are of the opinion that a round would be better suited due to size but I’m not too sure how size would play into this since no one in her circle has a diamond solitaire?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think of the stones recommended previously ? The Asscher is very pretty but it is a VS2 with the inclusion on the table. I do see that a lot of people are of the opinion that a round would be better suited due to size but I’m not too sure how size would play into this since no one in her circle has a diamond solitaire?

Let’s back up a bit, and talk about HER, for a second.
She said, “chic”, but that word is so subjective, and left to interpretation.
Does she wear jewelry? What shapes does she wear in her style of clothing?
Does she wear any sparkly pieces, or are they more understated?
If you’re not sure, it would be helpful for you and your brother to make these observations, and note them. Her style and fashion choices will help you determine what SHE considers stylish, fashionable, and “chic”.
I love step cuts. ALL of them. That includes Asschers.
But, without knowing what she has a preference to, it will be difficult to narrow your choices.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Let’s back up a bit, and talk about HER, for a second.
She said, “chic”, but that word is so subjective, and left to interpretation.
Does she wear jewelry? What shapes does she wear in her style of clothing?
Does she wear any sparkly pieces, or are they more understated?
If you’re not sure, it would be helpful for you and your brother to make these observations, and note them. Her style and fashion choices will help you determine what SHE considers stylish, fashionable, and “chic”.
I love step cuts. ALL of them. That includes Asschers.
But, without knowing what she has a preference to, it will be difficult to narrow your choices.

I describe her style in my original post ..she wears all name brand jewelry and classic pieces.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I read the original post. It gives vague info.
Are her classic pieces round, square or rectangular?
Are they sparkly or understated, but still flashy?
The best of both worlds is the Octavia Asscher.

She wears the same pieces in rotation and if I’m looking at shape it is just her bezel Tiffany and pearl earrings and those are round as is the simple bezel Pendant/diamond by the yard necklace from tiff.. I have not seen her incorporate other shapes but if it was a classic piece no doubt she would like the cartier tank (rectangular) I know she loves but currently has a round face watch. Designer hand bag and shoes, Easy to wear staple pieces that go with everything grey, black, soft nudes are her colors. This description takes us back to classic though not necessarily “chic”. The word is open to interpretation. She continues to communicate that she wants it to be a surprise and that if she had preferences than she would not have suggested it to be a surprise. I will share these ideas and let him make the decision without persuading in any direction, he knows her best.

Thank you !

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like she gravitates toward classic pieces without an 'edgy' look. I think a beautiful MRB diamond in a simple solitaire perhaps paired with a plain band or a shared prong band would work for her. I would also suggest buying from a vendor with a great trade in policy so if she absolutely hates it, she would have the option of trading it in for something else. Cut is the most important thing in a diamond regardless of size so I would look at the super ideal vendors for a diamond that sparkles like no tomorrow!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
He knows her best and the ring should reflect his taste and choice!

The oval will face-up much larger than the cushion. Cushions face up smaller than rounds for the same carat, while ovals face up larger.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I was going to say, her style is not what I would describe as "chic" - chic makes me think sophisticated fashionista - someone thoughtfully trendy.

I think of chic as with an edge - that is where EC or east-west setting feels right. She sounds very classic, with a little bit of a preppy vibe. I feel like I know many women like her. Nude nails. Stud earrings. Designer bags, but usually the same one. Sleek ponytails and minimal makeup. High quality fabrics and leather loafers. Highly educated. Understated and polished. Professional and put together. Maybe I am off the mark?

The jewelry you are describing - was bezel set. That feels like a hint. Unclear as to whether she wears yellow gold or white, or platinum.

I imagine her with a beautiful 2mm shanked platinum bezel (possibly 6 prong tiffany's style) solitaire, round brilliant or oval (which is very popular with 30-ish young professionals I see prowling NYC and Chicago these days) - plain wedding band to match. The edgiest thing I could see is maybe a knife edge shank. Pun intended :roll:

I am not suggesting these exact ring / stones ...but like this style setting in platinum:
https://erstwhilejewelry.com/collec...ducts/classic-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring
or this
https://www.valeriemadison.com/products/aura-oval-bezel-1-5ct-diamond-engagement-ring
or actually this
https://www.tiffany.com/engagement/...setting-engagement-ring-in-platinum-GRP10862/

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth, I don't think an ER is something to "experiment" on style wise to achieve a more "chic" look. If someone's style is classic, I would definitely recommend a round diamond. Rounds represent around 50% of all ERs after all!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok ladies, so these were HIS definition of “chic”
D2E654FE-FAA5-4817-A00C-C9A1B54B04C7.png 0402B9C5-B18B-4275-B9F3-E5BE8C85D583.jpeg A8E1A798-D36C-4DCE-83C2-00642A52A3FB.jpeg

Definitely go with the oval.
Best vendor for ideal cut ovals is Jon at Distinctive Gem, formally known as August Vintage, Inc.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also think classic based on this description, not chic. I don’t think East West is classic so maybe an oval set north south? Although I still think emerald cut when hearing about her understated elegance.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
An EC would be super chic, yet classic! I don't think you necessarily need to do an EW setting or anything too different, as the EC is chic enough on its own!

You may be able to find a 2ct EC under $10K. Larger ECs look best IMO, but with step cuts you'll definitely want to make sure it's eye clean and color is very visible as well.
I didn’t read all the comments but ITA. I wouldn’t do E/W unless you know for sure she wants that.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
The diamonds in the photos are chic but large, a high color 3 ct will be out of 10k by multiples of 10k. Here is a 1.33 ct D VS1 Elyque. In a classic setting this would be adorable but if his idea of chic is a giant oval he needs to up the pocketbook! https://www.distinctivegem.com/collections/opulence/products/elyque-oval-1-33ct-d-vs1-1694857

I am NOT an expert so take my comment with a grain of salt. This stone is GORGEOUS! The light return will be incredible, the D color DIVINE and the clarity is the icing on the cake. I have not purchased from Jon but spoken to him in the past about other stones. He is lovely to talk to and will be able to put that bad boy in a classic setting (I love the idea of east/west, gives a little more uniqueness to a simple classic style and shows a bit more daring and thought I think). The stone will look large for it's carat weight given the oval shape but won't be big enough to be cumbersome I think in the future to wear regularly. Looking at this makes me feel like I want to get a new 25th anniversary present (later this year)! Ask about this stone before someone snaps it up, PLEASE!!! Good Luck! So happy for your brother!!!

p.s. I have classic pieces from Tiffany, Cartier, VCA, etc. They are easily recognizable but not necessarily better than what he could find with the help of people here, in this group. THAT will make it classic. The time spent searching, weighing, contemplating, etc... The other stuff gets its specialness from the no brainer shopping and multiple recognizable same pieces. Not a bad thing, just not as personal in my opinion.

Last edited:

StoneAlgoML

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all,

My brother is looking to propose and they have talked about it and she wants it to be a surprise and has only said “ surprise me with something chic” chic to me is a EC eternity band and plain shank solitaire but not sure what chic means to her.

Her social circle:

Wear diamond bands w plain band

Her sisters were engaged with less than a carat with halos but no longer wear as married women just the wedding band rather than the set.

Her:

30s, PhD, active, wears mostly solids vs prints, natural manicure, no make up, works from home so no worries there, no heels just flats like loafers think Gucci Princetown, High waist pants and tucked in blouse.

day to day jewelry: Hermès bracelet, Tiffany and co bezel diamond studs or pearl earrings love ring/trinity on middle finger. Size 4 ring size

thoughts:
No halo setting
Plain shank to match w a Cartier love or trinity or Tiffany and co wedding band if desired instead of replacing the ring with just a band) no engraving
Colorless or G-H
VS clarity
1 carat
Budget 10k diamond only

Questions:

Any thoughts on shape ?
Solitaire w a twist ?
Preloved T&Co?

Sounds pretty much exactly like my wife (who works at Gucci, so I support the Princetowns comment as well) - except she directly asked for round cut with a platinum pave engagement ring setting. I would recommend this style - it's classic and chic, complements everything.

I would also focus on the cut quality of the round diamond to make sure it really pops.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely go with the oval.
Best vendor for ideal cut ovals is Jon at Distinctive Gem, formally known as August Vintage, Inc.

Apologies. Auto-correct changed “formerly” to “formally”.
Distinctive Gem is FORMERLY known as August Vintage, Inc.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Apologies. Auto-correct changed “formerly” to “formally”.
Distinctive Gem is FORMERLY known as August Vintage, Inc.

I have seen these! in some of them am I seeing a north/south bow tie/streak ? Thank you
Also, what about size ? Is this a minimal bow tie ? Although I hear others on a trade up policy! That’s important

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
@tyty33 posted all of these Traditional ovals another poster that didn’t purchase :

Probably too small

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
EW settings are more trendy than chic. If she wears a lot of timeless pieces that might not be for her. The oval with a gold band (picture #3) fits the bill, imo. Bonus points for it being his idea.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock

Both bluenile ones are larger, however, both have very strong blue (in a H may be ok but in a E maybe not).

MRB May blow the generic/traditional oval out of the water in performance unless all she sees is sparkle and size though..? Again not sure how important size is since her social circle rocks bands.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP I would NOT be looking at an oval for someone who wants a timeless shape. If she is into brand names and classic pieces, she would want a classic shape that will never go out of style!

Please pick either a round solitaire or an emerald cut solitaire, those are your two options. No ovals and definitely no eternity bands.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results